Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes!!! Beekman!! Excellent pick.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like that pick a lot as well. He really doesn't seem like a good fit to replace Brown in a year or two, but he seems like a good fit for our future RG, as he is a road grader. This makes Metcalf very expandable now.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
Oh yeah, I so called that JA wouldn't draft OL.
I just so called OL in the fourth. Value wasn't there early on. After Staley and Grubbs went off the board the value wasn't there at 31, the trade was better than just getting Blalock, but when the value was there with Beekman in the fourth.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...

Last edited by Hurricane Ditka : 04-29-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have preferred Wendling over Payne, but I like the Graham pick.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the DB picks were to recharge our Special Teams unit. Beekman in the fourth is awesome since he can also back up Kreutz. Maybe even compete with Garza for the starting position. Surprised we passed on Wendling and Rufus Alexander considering the value. They could have also contributed in special teams and had the potential for more.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

can't believe two kickers have gone ahead of Mason Crosby... that's surprising.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
IBleedNavyandOrange
Rookie

IBleedNavyandOrange hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Long time, no post.

I was really happy when the Bears were picking in Round 1... any three of the players who would be available (Grubbs, Olsen, Posluszny) would be good picks. They took Olsen, who was my hope-against-hope pick. I think other than Davis, Olsen is better than any of the TEs they might've picked last year, so this is a HUGE "Jerry Angelo knows what he's doing" pick. I wsa hoping that Tampa would do something stupid and trade for Briggs, and then the Bears could take Calvin Johnson early in Round 1, but I guess Tampa is no Detroit...

Round 2, it appeared to me that the guys JA wanted to take--Grubbs or Posluszny--came off the board (damn the Bills for trading up!), so JA traded down... smart move. But the DE pick (Bazuin) leaves me scratching my head. Don't we have 3 outstanding ends and a good back-up already? Maybe Ogunleye gets traded? If you're going to reach, why not Black from NM? LB seems a bigger need than DE.

Wolfe is a good pickup in Round 3, but isn't he a younger, faster, Adrian Peterson? Still, quality depth at RB is always welcome, so I'm happy with the pick.

Okwo in Round 3 was a bit of a surprise--he wasn't on my radar. Reading about him, he sounds good, and I always like the "plays faster than he times" tag. Briggs was the same way.

I think Beekman is a 4th-round steal, just like Vasher and Brown and other 4th-round JA steals. The knock on him is his height... well, he's a beast and Grossman isn't very tall, either, so who gives a rat's ass about height? Plus, guards don't need to be tall... they need to knock people down, and that's what Beekman does. Great pick.

The round 5 picks look decent... DBs with big upsides, from smaller schools. I like that formula. And, with Johnson and Worrell gone and Mike Brown an injury risk, depth at Safety is paramount.

I don't know where the round 6 pick went (thought I saw the Bears slotted for one earlier... did it go away by trade, or was that part of the Archuleta deal?), but in round 7, I'd like to see another OT developmental guy, and the fastest raw-talent WR on the board.

All in all, I think this is a solid, if unspectactular draft. I think Olsen and Beekman are the gems of the draft... but then, last year I thought Anderson was pretty much a useless pick, and Hester wasn't going to be anything super-special. So the guys I've downplayed (Bazuin, Wolfe) are probably going to end up being HUGE.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Beekman will unseat Roberto Garza before all is said and done, and sooner rather than later. I think when the 2007 Draft is remembered the Bears, Beekman will be the centerpiece, I think once we slot him in at right guard he'll be there for quite awhile.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 04-29-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, nice 2nd day for JA so far. I was hoping for Baker with one of our 5th's but I'll take Payne and Graham. I read up a lot on these guys and I like them. Graham is great in zone, and I heard if he didn't get injured he was going to be a first day pick. Broke his leg I believe this year. Reminds me a lot of Vasher while reading about him. Payne I like too. Very versatile player, I hear he's got very good instincts. A very good athlete. Not guys on my radar but that's ok, I like the picks.

Oh and I loooovvveeee Beekman, awesome pick. I was holding my breath for him, actually I thought we'd go somewhere else on the line so it was great to see them take this kid. Fits perfectly to what we want our OG's to do. Still a bit raw in pass blocking but that can be improved.

I'll still hope for Baker if he's there in the 7th, or maybe McKnight....Also, can't believe Patrick hasn't been taken. Or how about another OL prospect, preferably an OT.

And IBNO, I think the Bears thought Black was going to be there in the 3rd, I really do. And the more I read about Bazuin the more I like him. Sure it may have been a reach but it's still a solid pick IMO. And yes, we lost hte 6th rounder for Archuleta.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahaha...this draft is the Greg Olsen and everyone else draft. Beekman is a nice pick but come on...nobody remembers a draft because of a guard picked in the 4th round.

By the way, the secondary picks are fine, they both are good cover 2 guys.

A couple of notes on that though

-Hester is going to play offense or nothing at all. We're stocked at depth in the secondary next year.

-Bye bye Dante Wesley. He was signed to play special teams and did a pretty lousy job of that. Probably spells the end for Brandon McGowan as well. (This all pending injuries of course)

Old 04-29-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This draft is shaping up to be the draft of the small school prospects. 4 small school prospects so far and most likely more in the 7th round.
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Wow, Ben Patrick fell pretty far. I think Wolfe is going to end up at least contributing this year, and these next two picks probably won't make the roster anyway, but I'd like to see another developmental O-line guy. As for Angelo's annual day 2 contributor, I think it's Beekman no question about it. I think we got 3 eventual starters out of this draft so far. (Olsen, Banzuin, and Beekman) at that's pretty good.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

When are numbers assigned? I wonder if Olsen will keep 82 or if the Bears will give him 89, which I'd like to see.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 04-29-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Hahaha...this draft is the Greg Olsen and everyone else draft. Beekman is a nice pick but come on...nobody remembers a draft because of a guard picked in the 4th round.

By the way, the secondary picks are fine, they both are good cover 2 guys.

A couple of notes on that though

-Hester is going to play offense or nothing at all. We're stocked at depth in the secondary next year.

-Bye bye Dante Wesley. He was signed to play special teams and did a pretty lousy job of that. Probably spells the end for Brandon McGowan as well. (This all pending injuries of course)
I'd love to see Hester on offense. Line him up in the slot or in the backfield and make him a Reggie Bush type player. That and he could be a major decoy for defenses because you have to pay attention to him if he's on the field. Just get the ball into his hands and let him work.

Just put him back on kicks and punts and give him the ball on offense. No more defense for Devin.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Trumaine McBride huh....Good Cover 2 CB, man JA is loading up that secondary. That likely means Vasher or Tillman are gone next year.

Don't know much about him, so I'll try and read up. Sounds like a decent guy in the 7th.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McBride CB? I want BAKER OR MCKNIGHT in the 7th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

McBride is a good 7th round pick. Not much to physically entice but he's a smart, hard worker, that has experience. He could make the team if a few people get hurt.

I'm suprised we didn't take a single wide reciever. Looks like if we keep 5 recievers it's going to be Mike Hass or Brandon Rideneau

Old 04-29-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Well I think we're done with the secondary, don't ya think haha. I think it'll either be DT, OL, or WR for our last pick. I wouldn't mind seeing McKnight here but I actually would take Samardzija. Hell it's worth a shot. If the Cubs thing doesn't work out, he's still a stud WR prospect and he'd stay in the same city.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

McBride, eh. 7th round, what will ya do?

I really want Siler. Pick him up with our final pick if he is there. He might have that ACL concern, but it's not like he is gonna get paid much, and he could turn into a major steal.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Sucks that Siler went a pick before us, oh well....got a developmental OT project in Brant. Anyone have any info on this guy?

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how dissapointing...OL. JA needs to get a good UDFA at WR, maybe hopefully McKnight

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

He's 6'7''....that's gotta count for something.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

Quote:
BIOGRAPHY: Four-year starter who saw action at tackle and guard. All-Conference selection the past two years.

POSITIVES: King-sized blocker who is best in a small area. Intelligent lineman who also shows a nasty streak and gets after blocks. Fights with his hands throughout the action, jolts opponents at the point of attack and keeps his feet moving.

NEGATIVES: Lacks flexibility and struggles to finish blocks. Lumbers about the field and lacks lateral blocking range.

ANALYSIS: A wide-bodied blocker who controls opponents once he gets his hands on them, Brant lacks the great upside but his enticing measurables will get him a long look in camp this summer.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent
-ESPN/Scout

Quote:
Offensively the top senior is Aaron Brant, a huge offensive right tackle. Possessing size, strength and a nasty attitude, Brant easily controls opponents at the point of attack or engulfs defenders altogether. His size coupled with production the past three seasons will get Brant late round consideration.
Scout

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Well I think we're done with the secondary, don't ya think haha. I think it'll either be DT, OL, or WR for our last pick. I wouldn't mind seeing McKnight here but I actually would take Samardzija. Hell it's worth a shot. If the Cubs thing doesn't work out, he's still a stud WR prospect and he'd stay in the same city.
if you draft a player then you only hold his rights for one year. It's not forever like you seem to think.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

The Brant pick is interesting, you can't coach 6'7" 320, but if he can refine his skills he'll have a chance at making the roster.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...