Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 04-29-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Bears_Fan
Rookie

Bears_Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would give this draft a B grade.

Olsen will give us another option to take pressure away from Rex. Everything else seems to be depth, with the exception of Beekman, who was just great value at a need spot. There were several times our DL did not get pressure on the opposing QB to explain Bazuin, special teams was replenished, and we have developmental/speculative guys at OT, RB, CB, and LB. It seems JA went with system guys over polished/value guys, but we are fortunate to be able to take that risk.
Bears_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
if you draft a player then you only hold his rights for one year. It's not forever like you seem to think.
:(

Why'd you have to do that to me VLS? I was on a roll with that one and you shot it down.

Interesting 7th round pick in Brant. Maybe with some work he could develop into something. I like the fact that he's nasty and has a mean streak, that's pretty sweet right there!

And also, there was a reason why McKnight wasn't selected in this draft, so maybe they know something we don't. Hell, sign him as an undrafted F/A and see what he can do.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Bears_Fan
Rookie

If we had taken Dallas Baker with #221, I would vote for B+
Old 04-29-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears_Fan View Post
If we had taken Dallas Baker with #221, I would vote for B+
I concur. I give this a B like said, and I am warming up to this Okwo guy, read his bio on the chicago bears website and you will see why. Bauzin, meh, but there was no real value picks there but I think Black could have been chosen there, and then maybe Pitcock from OSU the next round. Baker not getting picked really dissapoints me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Sucks that Siler went a pick before us, oh well....got a developmental OT project in Brant. Anyone have any info on this guy?
I know. If he can get back to 100% and get rid of all those injury concerns, the Chargers got one hell of a steal.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this draft. It's what we needed. I could have used another playmaker on offense, but you can't do everything. Good draft. Good guys.

Best part to me is that there isn't a single player with character questions. We've been drifting too far to the right taking players with criminal records, glad to see this class is scratch free.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still am not a fan of the first day, but now that the draft is over they are all Bears so they have my full vote. I would have liked Wendling or some different picks but the draft to me is a solid C+ (the Beekman pick made me smile alot) We replenished special teams and brought in some interesting projects. and 51 you bring up a good point, not a single criminal in the bunch. ^_^

Now lets sign Darius Walker and Rhema McKnight to UFA contracts.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I like this draft. It's what we needed. I could have used another playmaker on offense, but you can't do everything. Good draft. Good guys.

Best part to me is that there isn't a single player with character questions. We've been drifting too far to the right taking players with criminal records, glad to see this class is scratch free.
This draft is full of guys with great intangibles that love football. Even down to Olsen. Was nice seeing how excited he was to be a Chicago Bear despite dropping half a round past where he was expected to go. I love how tough Garret Wolfe runs despite his measurables. Here's a great clip of him fighting off a tackler twice his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0qfxGlGQk

I also like how Wolfe had his biggest games against tougher competition.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Bears_Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Very true.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Windy
All-Pro

Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.Windy is so money.

Chris Leak signed with the Bears.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno View Post
Chris Leak signed with the Bears.
Haha...awesome. I had a feeling he might. Hell the Bears drafted Craig Krenzel after he won the NC.

Come on Chris!! Beat out Kyle Orton!! You can do it!!

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:02 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Link? (10 char.)

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have had Zabranski, but Leak will do. Practice squad QB he will be.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ago_bears.html

Link for the Chris Leak signing.

http://gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ORS01/70429009

And another.

Last edited by SFbear : 04-29-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As an outsider, i really like the Bazuin pick.

It may have been a little high, but i highly doubt you will regret it. I am no cover 2 buff, but as far as i know he fits your scheme very well. I was sort of hoping the Browns would get him to play OLB, but we traded away all our picks. I aiken him very closely to Jared Allen, and maybe more with the talent that is going to be around him.

Terrific motor, tough, aggressive, quick, smart; he should turn out very well for you guys.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

where can i find out about Notre Dame players?

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Jimmy Buckets <3
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2
Dan Bazuin is a stellar pass - rushing DE who really could be converted into a LB if the Bears ran a 3 - 4. I actually read on KFFL that they may shop Alex Brown after drafting Bazuin. He's not the biggest DE ever but I do like Bazuin as a DE and think that was a great move by CHI.

Round 3
Garrett Wolfe is pretty tiny at 5'7, 186 but I think if he can get a bit bigger he'll be a good backup RB to Benson. Not a huge fan of the pick, but he does have good speed (4.4s) and I know that he definitely has the accolades and vision to succeed. May have been earlier than people thought.

I do love the drafting of Michael Okwo. Some thought that he would last longer but Okwo can definitely knock you out at LB. I think he can push Hillenmayer for the starting job but if Briggs does hold out, you will see instant gratification for this pick.

Round 4
Josh Beekman was at one point, a Round 2 draft pick but after an inconsistent Senior Bowl and Combine, he slipped to Round 4. I do think that he was the steal of the draft and will prove that down the line and start within the next couple years.

Round 5
Kevin Payne was a versatile player for ULM and he can be a good spot - starter down the line for CHI. Do expect good numbers as a ST ace.

Corey Graham is a small school prospect but I DO know that if you can develop him he will be a stud in my opinion. Graham has late 4.4 speed if I recall correctly and is just a good athlete all around. He comes from New Hampshire but if you can work on him......

Round 7
Trumaine McBride may not make the team at all (Practice Squad) but he did have good production at CHI and did play through some pain at Ole' Miss if I do recall.

Aaron Brant will be a backup OG at the next level.

Just my take.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
IBleedNavyandOrange
Rookie

IBleedNavyandOrange hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Dammit, you guys rock. I was going to say that the Bears should go after the Boise State dude or Chris Leak, and I come here to find out that Leak was signed. Awesome.

Now they should find some track-star WR prospect. This is Bradley's make-it-or-break-it year. If he can deliver, the lack of WR picks in this draft won't matter.

Every other position of need got addressed. Now, depending on what happens with Briggs, this team will have definitely improved across the board (yeah, I know TJ is a big hit, but I'm betting Benson has a season that, by game 10, has Chicago fans sying "Thomas who?").
Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedNavyandOrange View Post
Dammit, you guys rock. I was going to say that the Bears should go after the Boise State dude or Chris Leak, and I come here to find out that Leak was signed. Awesome.

Now they should find some track-star WR prospect. This is Bradley's make-it-or-break-it year. If he can deliver, the lack of WR picks in this draft won't matter.

Every other position of need got addressed. Now, depending on what happens with Briggs, this team will have definitely improved across the board (yeah, I know TJ is a big hit, but I'm betting Benson has a season that, by game 10, has Chicago fans sying "Thomas who?").
Technically we have Airese Currie as the track-star WR but he's never been healthy. JA must really like him since he hasn't been cut yet.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
Technically we have Airese Currie as the track-star WR but he's never been healthy. JA must really like him since he hasn't been cut yet.
When he's been healthy I guess he's been impressive. So hopefully he can get back to full strength this offseason, because the guy is lightning fast.

I expect a big year from Bradley now that he'll be able to get healthy. The guy is a playmaker and a stud when he's healthy.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

We also signed DE Chris Frome and RB Darius Walker from Notre Dame

http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...otbl-body.html

I thought Walker would have been a better option for a third down back so I guess he'll get to compete with Wolfe in training camp. Not nearly as explosve as Wolfe though.

Last edited by SFbear : 04-30-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
We also signed DE Chris Frome and RB Darius Walker from Notre Dame

http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...otbl-body.html

I thought Walker would have been a better option for a third down back so I guess he'll get to compete with Wolfe in training camp. Not nearly as explosve as Wolfe though.
Nice pickup with Walker. Don't know about Frome though.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 AM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

NYmoney needs more cowbell.

I don't like the wolfe pick in the 3rd round. I'd have supported the pick if it was a round later, but it's in the past.

As for Bazuin, I hope Brown is being shopped. There is no other reasoning for selecting him this high. Also, is anyone else surprised that the bears didn't take Dwayne Jarrett at 37?
NYmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

im glad we signed Walker, but since we didnt pursue Rhema McKnight (or he didnt sign with us) we must be confident in our receiving corps. I personally think the last spot will go to Mike Haas.

In Tyler We Trust

Jimmy Buckets <3
Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmoney View Post
Also, is anyone else surprised that the bears didn't take Dwayne Jarrett at 37?

Not really. Bears had been saying that they wanted to keep adding to team speed. Turner said he wanted a speed WR. But talk is cheap. But after taking Olsen in the first round, there was no real big need to add another redzone weapon with our 2nd pick, plus the Chargers gave the Bears a darn good trade offer.