Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

BROWNS HAD THE BEST:

horrible OL in 2006?

we got
LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Eric Steinbach
resigned Hank Fraley to play center

No future QB?
We drafted Brady Quinn to take over soon.

No RB?
Jamal Lewis is a great fill over Ruben Droughns and our OL is alot better than Baltimores and Lewis is now healthy.

DL problems?
We signed Robaire Smith at DE to replac a horrible Alvi nMckinley.
We also got our NT of the future in Saun Smith.
Finally a back-up OLB incase McGinnest gets hurt in Antwan Peek.

Secondary problems?
We drafted a 1st RD talent in Eric Wright.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
tEk
Veteran

tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh1991 View Post
PATRIOTS -
Adalius Thomas
Randy Moss
Donte Stallworth
Brandon Merriweather

NUFF SAID
49ers NUFFF SAID l337 pwnz0rz`111!!!!111

Hitman D
tEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh1991 View Post
PATRIOTS -
Adalius Thomas
Randy Moss
Donte Stallworth
Brandon Merriweather

NUFF SAID
Thats pretty tough to beat. I'm taking the Patriots to win the SB.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
#1chiefs_fan

new england and san fran by far. They filled every weakness through the draft and FA.

Another team to look out for offensivly next year is the rams. Just about every skilled position is stacked and a they have a solid oline.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots are now the Super Bowl favorites in my book, thus they get the nod from me

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Falcons, obviously. Since it is en vogue to name whatever team you cheer for.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i gotta go with the patriots, they offense is going to be unstoppable, brady had 4000+ without big name wideouts, imagine two of the best now
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo_oT88 View Post
Bills have a good one for sure
yea cause losing your best rb, cb, and your 2 best lbs is always a great thing to do.

49ers and rams both had killer offseasons, but i like SF's draft more. But the deal for moss was pretty sweet. i say NE did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the Patriots.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
BROWNS HAD THE BEST:

horrible OL in 2006?

we got
LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Eric Steinbach
resigned Hank Fraley to play center

No future QB?
We drafted Brady Quinn to take over soon.

No RB?
Jamal Lewis is a great fill over Ruben Droughns and our OL is alot better than Baltimores and Lewis is now healthy.

DL problems?
We signed Robaire Smith at DE to replac a horrible Alvi nMckinley.
We also got our NT of the future in Saun Smith.
Finally a back-up OLB incase McGinnest gets hurt in Antwan Peek.

Secondary problems?
We drafted a 1st RD talent in Eric Wright.

all the players will help in the future (except Lewis), but wont have an immediate impact.

btw who is Robaire Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think the Patriots did a great job adding three HUGE pieces to a team that was already one of the top two or three in the league that were obvious positions of need, and while they made amazing moves that clearly will make them the Super Bowl favorites across the board from just about, if not every media outlet, they actually had the second best off-season.

The slam dunk best off-season of 2007 HAS to go to the San Francisco 49ers. The difference between what the Patriots did and what the 49ers did is separated by the fact that the Patriots were already in the Championship picture, regardless. San Francisco has completely turned over their team, adding three really solid WR's to the collection, making huge additions to the defensive back field and a whole new corps of LB's to go with Manny Lawson. On top of that, they were able to give Alex Smith more protection by bringing in a guy who will be one hell of a LT in Joe Staley.

These moves helped reinvent their franchise and will help turn them into a legit, playoff contender out of the NFC West as opposed to having been complete pushovers the last few years. The Patriots filled in the blanks on a three page essay, the 49ers wrote page three. I didn't like Ashlie Lelie as a #1, but he'll make an adequate #2 behind Darrell Jackson, and both are better than anything San Francisco had going for them last year...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like everyone thinks the Lions had a great off-season except for Lions fans.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
go_ravens94
Veteran

go_ravens94 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

CJ is your offseason and that pulls you up to a B right there.

Anyway: Best Offseason:

Patriots
Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

i'm not saying this cuz I hate the Giants, but they probably had the worst offseason:

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:47 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

SF and NE obviously had big offseasons. They brought in all kinds of talent and really improved their teams and IMO, they both made quality signings and didnt just foolishly throw around money b/c they could afford to.

However, you dont have to sign marquee players to have a good offseason and a number of teams had low-key but very strong offseaons.

I personally liked what the Raiders did this off-season a lot. Al did a great job managing the situation IMO. The pickings were slim at HC but Al brought in a good young offensive mind and got an experienced OC to assist him. We didnt cash out for big name FAs, but we had some very solid additions to help our offense. Cooper Carlisle and Jeremy Newberry are both good vets who can help the O-line right away and Rhodes is a nice weapon to add to the offense and then in the draft we get our franchise QB, our TE and then possibly our future HB and a talented pass-rusher. We get Mike Williams and McCown for a 4th to solidify our QB situation and get a chance to revive BMWs career and then we dump Randy, even though I felt we shoulda got more for him. Overall though, we really changed the face of the team without making any huge moves and I like the direction were headed in.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
Thought Buffalo had a great Offseason. As bad as many think it is, it really wasnt.

Lost-
Willis Mcgahee
Nate Clements
Takeo Spikes
London Fletcher-Baker
Kelly Holcomb

Gained-
Derrick Dockery
Langston Walker
Jason Whittle
Darwin Walker

Draft picks-
Marshawn Lynch
Paul Posluszny
Trent Edwards
John Wendling
AJ Wright
CJ Ah You
Derrick Schouman

We lost 2 LB, Spikes and Fletcher. Spikes was on the downside, and Ellison is an up and coming LB and should be more than a replacement. Fletcher racked up alot of tackles, but many were WAY off the LOS. Pos will perform much better than Fletcher did, as Pos will be playing the MLB. We lost Willis, who was a cancer to the team and wasnt at all near the hype he made himself out to be. Lynch should be more than an adequate replacement for him along with Thomas and Wright. The OL was upgraded HUGE. Should help the run game, JP Losman get time, and let the TE be free so they dont have to stay in and block. We lost NAte Clements, who I think was the biggest lost. But for a cover 2 corner, he wasnt worth 80 million. Ashton Youboty is still solid, and will be good as the cover 2 corner. I think they had a very solid off season.
I am very critical of the Bills' offseason, it was easily the worst in the league IMO.

My number 1 criticism of the Bills' offseason:
Overpaying for Dockery and Walker. Dockery gets nearly 50 mill, Walker nearly 40 mill. Dockery is a guy who never did anything special in his career until he was in a contract year and even then he wasnt that great. Even if he continues to play like he did in 06, hes still not worth the 49 mill and chances are he wont, that was a career year for him. And let me tell you as a Raider fan Walker is awful. He was probably the worst starting OT in the league last year, in fact, he was EASILY the worst. I watched him get blown by almost every third down last year. It actually got to a point where I could predict he would get blown by and his man would sack the QB on a consistent basis and I would be right a lot of the time. Those were by far the worst signings of this offseason...

Letting Clements walk I dont have a problem with. You free up cap room, and you have his replacement ready with Youboty, and it woulda cost a lot to get him to resign rather than hit the open market. And 80 mill is a lot to spend on a CB when youre runnig the cover 2. But if youre gonna use that freed up cap room to sign Walker and Dockery, then im very critical of letting Clements walk b/c he is a top 10 player at a valuable position while Walker is one of the worst RTs in the league and Dockery is a quite average player at one of the least important positions, and he has bust/1 year wonder written all over him. So the money management was awful is my point.

Letting Fletcher walk I believe is the right move. He was good but I think his stats were somewhat misleading and hes not as good as they expected. Crowell will slide inside and should be as good as or maybe even better than Fletcher.

The Spikes trade I dont like. OK, Spikes is not the player he used to be and he might have been a little bit on the outs with the team, but they pretty much gave him away and he was still a damn good LB on a team that was pretty thin at the position. The Eagles I think were gonna cut Darwin Walker at some point this offseason and I just feel the value on the trade was awful and its not as if Spikes was a poor character player who was hurting team chemistry that they needed to get rid of.

Then we've got the McGahee trade. I dont have a major problem with it. While Im a big fan of McGahee and think hes one of the more underrated backs in the league, I recognize he was on the outs with the Bills and would be a FA last year and they'd lose him without compensation so getting 2 3rd rounders for him was not a bad deal really.

What I dont like is the way they dealt with the HB situation afterwards. Bear in mind that I am a big Marshawn Lynch fan...But the way I feel about it is they trade away a former 1st round pick at HB who has proven himself to be an excellent starter at the position and get 2 3rd rounders for him. Keeping in mind that HB is one of the most easily replacable positions in the league, I expected they would adress HB thru FA and later in the draft. Instead, they use their first rounder on Lynch. To me, it doesnt make sense to draft a talented HB coming off a gruesome injury in the 1st round, watch him get healthy and develop him into a star and then after 1 dissapointing season trade him away for two 3rd rounders and spend another first rounder on a HB. Even though I like Lynch, I just dont like what they did overall.

One move I did like was trading up for Poz, I think he should help the team a lot and was a very nice value in the 2nd round. Trent Edwards I suppose was a good pick but Lossman had a nice year and I feel is the future at QB so Im not as hyped on the pick as some people are. I like the CJ Ah You pick late and John Wendling was a nice value and I like Wright. Very solid draft.

Overall, I think the Bills did a bad job of managing cap and made some poor choices. B/c they spent big dollars on Walker and Dockery they wont get high comp picks for losing Fletcher and Clements. They coulda upgraded that OL much more intelligently and efficiently and I think they should have added a WR and more depth at CB. Evans is a rising star but Price stinks and Parrish is only really a slot guy and there were a lot of solid wideouts on the market and in the draft who could have fit into their system and been effective no. 2s but the Bills passed on all of em and they dont have enough targets in their passing game. And while I disagreed with those that called CB a round 1 or even day 1 need, they didnt draft a single CB and are quite thin at the position now. Youboty, McGee, Kiwaukee Thomas and Greer just doesnt sound too good to me.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really like what Oakland has done. They once had a wreck of an offense and a clueless coach to go along with it. Since then, Al has given power (say in the draft?) to aspiring young offensive guru Lane Kiffin. With the defense already playing at a high level, they now have the pieces set in place to become a good, young team in the near future.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
Gained-
Derrick Dockery
Langston Walker

The OL was upgraded HUGE. Should help the run game, JP Losman get time, and let the TE be free so they dont have to stay in and block.
Langston Walker should be in the negative column, not the positive column.

In all seriousness, the guy was flatout terrible last year. I kid you not. Sure he's huge, but the man just can't handle anything that moves faster than a tortoise. He gets beat on any and every kind of move and he's just not that special in run blocking either.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
No RB?
I'm not so sure that Jamal Lewis is going to be any better than Droughns was for you. He is slow, he's lost a lot of his power and he just doesn't have any kind of moves. He is not even close to the same player he was when he had 2,000 yards rushing.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
High Roller
Rookie

High Roller hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Patriots & Niners in that order.

Faithful Niner Fan
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How can it not be the Patriots? They came within one drive of going to the Super Bowl last year and got three impact players in free agency/trade and another one in the draft. This year their #3 WR (Wes Welker) is going to be better than their #1 WR last year (Reche Caldwell). Not to mention they got arguably the best Free Agent available in Adalius Thomas.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots and San Francisco. There can be no doubt about it.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Titans10
Veteran

Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver

Gained
Travis Henry
Dre Bly
Brandon Stokley
Daniel Graham
Patrick Ramsey
Troy Fleming

Drafted
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
Ryan Harris

Denver gave Cutler a few more options on offense by signing Daniel Graham and Brandon Stokley and the addition of Travis Henry will really help out the young QB and is just what Denver has been missing at running back for a few seasons. Also signed a proven backup with Ramsey

on the defensive side which was already strong, the signing of Bly gives the Broncos the best CB tandom in the NFL and with a strong draft they addressed their week defensive front by getting Jarvis Moss who reminds me of another former Gator Javon Kearse then in the second they got Tim Crowder which now gives Denver a good pair of defensive ends...good luck throwing on denver

All-hail Bulluck
Titans10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Pats and Niners
Old 05-01-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't know how you want to define best. The Patriots added the most big names on paper, so they have the best face value.

But I'm not a fan of Redskin style offseasons.

Personally I like what the Rams and Falcons did this offseason. And unlike most, I don't like what the Patriots and 49ers did.
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote