Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take the guy I can rely on to make the right read over the guy who can throw it deep any day. Thats why I personally have Beck rated ahead of Russell, but whatever.

So far Ive been wrong about Vince Young, although Im still not sold on him as a passer.

Only time will tell. I hate the qb position anyway. If I were ever a coach, Id try to minimize its necessity as much as possible, by building around defense and the run game. As long as I have a guy that can make smart decisions for me, thats good enough.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a thread this intelligent and respectful has almost no mention of the Dallas Cowboys. Just wanted to point that out.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is mostly a Quinn vs. Russell thread. I'm not sure why the LSU and Notre Dame homers haven't really come out in force to wreck it. I feel like college team homers are often much worse than NFL team homers. Weird...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's start up another comparison. Levi Brown vs Joe Thomas.

Discuss.....:)
Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Levi Brown was reach at #5. A considerable one in my mind too. Levi made a bunch of extra money by the Cardinals being so desperate for Oline help.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that a thread this intelligent and respectful has almost no mention of the Dallas Cowboys. Just wanted to point that out.
Hey! I did pick Spencer as my D.R.O.T.Y
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that Thomas has a better all-around game, and he should do well protecting Quinn's blind side. You could argue that Levi Brown was a reach for Arizona at #5 overall, but he filled one of their top needs. Both guys are massive and started 3 years in the Big 10. Both guys move well and seem to work hard. Both should start from Day 1. Brown will likely start at RT and protect Leinert's blind side.

I like Thomas better because he's nastier. I see him as the guy who just kicks arse all day and enjoys contact. I think Levi Brown will keep up because he will be excellently coached by Grimm, but Thomas should have the easier transition.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Hey! I did pick Spencer as my D.R.O.T.Y
I think Spencer is going to bust big time. His game just doesn't translate to the NFL for me.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'll take the guy I can rely on to make the right read over the guy who can throw it deep any day. Thats why I personally have Beck rated ahead of Russell, but whatever.
Russell, as you've already mentioned, played in a pro style offense and completed 68% of his passes in the SEC. Hardly just throwing it deep, but I digress.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think we could all agree that, after Ross, Ramzee Robinson was the best CB in the draft :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Levi Brown was reach at #5. A considerable one in my mind too. Levi made a bunch of extra money by the Cardinals being so desperate for Oline help.
Not really, because Atlanta would have taken him in a heartbeat at #8. Houston would have probably taken him at #10, at the very latest.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Not really, because Atlanta would have taken him in a heartbeat at #8. Houston would have probably taken him at #10, at the very latest.
I wouldn't have taken Brown in the top 10 at all.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I have a couple of issues with Thomas.

1. He doesn't extend with his arms, and he has short arms for his size
2. He doesn't play strong in pass protection
3. He plays too close to the vest, thats not gonna work in the NFL
4. Alot of his highlights were all holds that weren't called

I like his run blocking, but I don't know if he'll ever be an elite pass blocker. I see alot of Gallery in him, I really do. He'll have a hard time with bullrushers who will overwhelm his close to the vest style. To me, arm length is real important for a LT, and his short arms scare me.

Levi Brown on the other hand, has all the physical talent in the world, but he needs more refinement. I like him more as a LT prospect. I think he can be just as good of a run blocker, with potential to be a much better pass blocker.

Yes he was a reach, but I think when the dust settles, he wont be considered as big of a reach as he's being projected as right now. Just like Whitner last year.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
I wouldn't have taken Brown in the top 10 at all.
But that doesn't change the fact that he was going in the top-10. So it isn't technically a reach.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
But that doesn't change the fact that he was going in the top-10. So it isn't technically a reach.
Well in my mind it is. I still would have tried to trade back somehow. Who knows. Maybe they did.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
SaintsMan
Veteran

SaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

The Saints could have used another WR, but that position wasn't a huge need. We went BPA in the draft, taking Meachem who was a mid-first talent slipping to the late-first. Drafting is not always about need, just getting the best players you can on the team, regardless of position. Meachem was the highest rated player on the Saints board, significantly.

Also, the Saints did address the Defense this Off-Season. Maybe they didn't sign Pro Bowl type Defenders, but still upgraded at CB, MLB and S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant cough View Post
Colston is only in his 2nd year, Henderson will never be a #1 and Cooper is in his 30s.
Terrance Copper is 25 years old.
SaintsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I don't know if Meachem wouldve impacted their team with to the same effect as a guy like Posluszny would.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I just found this thread, and went back and read the first two posts and noticed one thing I disagreed with. I guess I'm in the minority of people who actually liked the Eagles draft. I think they drafted much better than Dallas. This is just my personal opinion based on the quality of player they got in my mind. Dallas may have addressed needs more but I don't think they picked quality players. I'm big on Kolb. And he got in the perfect system. The next three picks were all players I was big on as well, Abiamiri, Hunt, and Bradley.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yes jughead, but letting a division rival trade back into the 1st round?!?!?! thats one of the things that was bad abuot their draft.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
yes jughead, but letting a division rival trade back into the 1st round?!?!?! thats one of the things that was bad abuot their draft.
They got a bunch of picks from it though. And I don't think the guy the Cowboys got is that good so it really wouldn't bother me.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I just found this thread, and went back and read the first two posts and noticed one thing I disagreed with. I guess I'm in the minority of people who actually liked the Eagles draft. I think they drafted much better than Dallas. This is just my personal opinion based on the quality of player they got in my mind. Dallas may have addressed needs more but I don't think they picked quality players. I'm big on Kolb. And he got in the perfect system. The next three picks were all players I was big on as well, Abiamiri, Hunt, and Bradley.
The only pick I question is the Kolb pick. Because I feel that they can win games with Feely at qb in case McNabb goes down, so drafting a qb wasn't a necessity, plus in a deep WR class, they came out with nobody, even though theyre one WR away from having arguably the best offense in the league.

For a guy who loves to pass, Im surprised that Reid didn't at the very least look into the WR position in such a deep class of WRs.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The only pick I question is the Kolb pick. Because I feel that they can win games with Feely at qb in case McNabb goes down, so drafting a qb wasn't a necessity, plus in a deep WR class, they came out with nobody, even though theyre one WR away from having arguably the best offense in the league.

For a guy who loves to pass, Im surprised that Reid didn't at the very least look into the WR position in such a deep class of WRs.
If McNabb goes down again for the rest of the season. He is done. Thats just my opinion. If he ever breaks a leg, or tears an ACL again, I can't see him ever having a career in Philly again. Sure Feely could fill in for the remainder of one season. But they got a guy now who will be cheap and signed to probably a 5 or 6 year deal. This guy fits their scheme perfectly, and can be a backup for now but definately has starting potential. Way more than Feely.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

they could've had much better value at their 2nd rounder from dallas and the browns. i mean leonard was there(thank god they didnt take him) along with jarret, rice, and durant(as jones was released) also, kolb wasnt the best QB there. Staton and Beck are better QB's IMO and probably even Edwards
Quote:
Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I think that Thomas has a better all-around game, and he should do well protecting Quinn's blind side. You could argue that Levi Brown was a reach for Arizona at #5 overall, but he filled one of their top needs. Both guys are massive and started 3 years in the Big 10. Both guys move well and seem to work hard. Both should start from Day 1. Brown will likely start at RT and protect Leinert's blind side.

I like Thomas better because he's nastier. I see him as the guy who just kicks arse all day and enjoys contact. I think Levi Brown will keep up because he will be excellently coached by Grimm, but Thomas should have the easier transition.
From what I heard Brown is actually the tougher, more physical player. Apparently a lot of guys that played against both said that Brown was out there to really hurt you, whereas Thomas was/is more a of finesse kind of player.
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Look at the board when the Eagles made that trade. There was no one of legitimate value there for the Eagles. You could say the Poz and Houston and Branch were there, but the Eagles didn't like those guys. All of the top safeties were gone. They would have had to reach to make a pick. All of a sudden, Dallas is there offering more than chart value for the pick for them to move back 10 spots and get an extra first day pick. Why not make that deal? Who cares if it was Dallas? The team got exceptional value to trade out of a pick it didn't want. The team saved itself millions of dollars and plenty of cap room by trading back. Would you have thought more of the draft if it was Indianapolis that traded up? I doubt it. This is an artificial critique, and it makes no sense.