Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-25-2006, 11:51 AM    (permalink
danman253

Default Marty Brodeur...where does he rank all time?

Marty Brodeur is my favorite player ever. As a goalie He's my idol. However his career seems to be on a downswing. Me and my brother (who is thank god off this site) have had a talk on this. I say he is top 5, he says he isn't.

Is he?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

is your bro off the site for good?
if so, why? banned? left?
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:54 AM    (permalink
danman253

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe
is your bro off the site for good?
if so, why? banned? left?
He left i think.
Stick to the question though.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:58 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

psub was suspended indefinately for coming back under a new username while he was suspended. If he wants back he can e-mail Scott, but if he doesn't he's gone for good.

And I'm not sure about the question. He is definatley, for sure, top 10. I think he's borderline top 5.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

My Top 5 in no order
1) Bernie Parent
2) Patrick Roy
3) Dominik Hasek
4) Bill Durnan ( 6 Time Vezina Trophy Winner)
5) Jacques Plante (6 Time Vezina Trophy winner)

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

I'm biased since he has been my favorite goalie since as far back as I can remember. I say he is top 5, or very close.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:01 PM    (permalink
danman253

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf#1
My Top 5 in no order
1) Bernie Parent
2) Patrick Roy
3) Dominik Hasek
I like this list but Hasek is perhaps the most overrated goalie ever IMO. He has awful awful awful form, and he was more lucky than good IMO. Its prolly just that i hate his style of play but i always thought he was overrated.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:02 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is no doubt a top 5 goalie of all time, he will end up 2nd on all time wins list.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman253
Quote:
My Top 5 in no order
1) Bernie Parent
2) Patrick Roy
3) Dominik Hasek
I like this list but Hasek is perhaps the most overrated goalie ever IMO. He has awful awful awful form, and he was more lucky than good IMO. Its prolly just that i hate his style of play but i always thought he was overrated.
Well I got to see him alot over the years playing against the Flyers and I mean if you dont like his style thats one thing but he has been a top goalie year after year.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:08 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There have been so many greats to play...Terry Sawchuck, Jaques Plante, Ken Dryden, Tony Esposito, Patrick Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Glenn Hall....so hard to pick a definative top five
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rank Hasek over Broduer. I'm a Rangers fan, so I may be a little biased, but I am guessing I have seen more Devils games than most on this site. Broduer is easily more overrated than Hasek. It is no wonder that with the rule changes Broduer is on the downswing. He benefitted so many year by the Devils great defensive players and the nuetral zone trap. With the red line being gone and two line pass legal, and offense opening up in general, he isn't the goaltender he once was. Sure goals are going up in general, but that nuetral zone trap, which the Devils perfected, made him seem much much better than he is.

Broduer was still great but I don't think top 5 all time.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tretiak is top 5 also.

He never played in the NHL, but that's because the Soviet government didn't allow him to.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 PM    (permalink
danman253

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV
Tretiak is top 5 also.

He never played in the NHL, but that's because the Soviet government didn't allow him to.
Tretiak is the best goalie to ever play. Its a shame he never went to the NHL.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Tretiak is top 5 also.

Well, I don't know if he's the best, but I do think he's one of the best all-time.

Also, when the best goalie lists are made, people have to keep in mind that guys like Broduer, Roy and Hasek played in a era where goallies wore - and still wear - A LOT more padding.

Goallies also wear helmets not, which wasn't always the case.

Tretiak acctually had a pretty serious face injury once, when he was still wearing just a plastic mask.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tretiak is top 5 also.

Well, I don't know if he's the best, but I do think he's one of the best all-time.

Also, when the best goalie lists are made, people have to keep in mind that guys like Broduer, Roy and Hasek played in a era where goallies wore - and still wear - A LOT more padding.

Goallies also wear helmets not, which wasn't always the case.

Tretiak acctually had a pretty serious face injury once, when he was still wearing just a plastic mask.
Tretiak was an amazing goalie. definately the best goalie in the world during his time.

He wanted to come to the NHL to play, but the Russian goverment didnt let him go.

He actually coaches a goalie camp now that i went to a couple summers ago in Detroit Lakes, MN. Hes kinda crazy

To get back on topic, I am a Rangers fan and i dont like Brodeur because of this, but i do respect his talent and i do think that he is a top 5 goalie. He probably would have been my favorite goalie if he was on any other team.

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was seriosuly just about to start a thread just like this, only based around Dominik Hasek.

Not liking his style is not a reason for tarnishing his status among great goalies. He pulled it off and revolutionized the way some goalies play. Of course he has been a total bltch over his career, but he is a damn good goaltender.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My Top 5 in no order
1) Bernie Parent
2) Patrick Roy
3) Dominik Hasek
Sawchuk? And obviously I'm a giant Brodeur fan, but I don't know if he's top 5. He's definitely top 7, and when his career is over in a few years he'll be considered.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan
He is no doubt a top 5 goalie of all time, he will end up 2nd on all time wins list.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definatley top 5, I'd say either 3rd or 4th when he retires
Old 10-25-2006, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Belish
Rookie

Belish hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Tretiak is top 5 also.

Based on what I've read, I think Tretiak is overrated. Most people rate him based solely on the Summit Series. Yes, he was good in the Russian leagues, but they were inferior compared the the NHL (I'm not saying that they were bad, but as a whole, the talent level was much lower than in the NHL). Success in European leagues does not always translate to success in the NHL, which is obviously the premier hockey league in the world.

If you're going to say he's top 5 all-time based on an 8-game series and success in the Russian leagues, I could argue that Danny McManus is a one of the top QBs on all-time based on his success in the CFL.

He might be a top goalie, but certainly not top-10
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belish
Quote:
Tretiak is top 5 also.

Based on what I've read, I think Tretiak is overrated. Most people rate him based solely on the Summit Series. Yes, he was good in the Russian leagues, but they were inferior compared the the NHL (I'm not saying that they were bad, but as a whole, the talent level was much lower than in the NHL). Success in European leagues does not always translate to success in the NHL, which is obviously the premier hockey league in the world.

If you're going to say he's top 5 all-time based on an 8-game series and success in the Russian leagues, I could argue that Danny McManus is a one of the top QBs on all-time based on his success in the CFL.

His domincance in the Olympics, which was against the best players in the world, makes him top five. Not to mention the Soviets destroyed the NHL all-stars that year in an exhibition game. He may have never played in the NHL, but he was absolutely a top five goalie
Old 10-25-2006, 06:47 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Quote:
Quote:
Tretiak is top 5 also.

His domincance in the Olympics, which was against the best players in the world, makes him top five. Not to mention the Soviets destroyed the NHL all-stars that year in an exhibition game. He may have never played in the NHL, but he was absolutely a top five goalie
But he lost to a bunch of U.S. college players. :)
Old 10-25-2006, 06:57 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Quote:
Quote:
Tretiak is top 5 also.

Techncally he did not lose...He allowed two goals after one period... then was taken out, which I still question why he was. But the game was tied after one. He is not credit with the loss. Michlin(sp?) gets the loss, so no, he did not lose to a bunch of college kids...in fact, if he stayed in, I think the U.S. may have ended up losing the game...thank god though he was taken out
Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a massive Brodeur homer, so I say he's number 1. I just like him so much. After removing my homerism, I'd say he's most likely top 5, he's getting up in years which could have something to do with a "downswing" but keep in mind, he's 1 season removed from back to back Vezinas, and last year won 40 games. He has amazing stamina, and is always near the top of the league in starts. And of course, he's got a shot at the most wins ever for a goalie. And for those of you saying he looked better cuz of the D, he made the D look awful good too, he made so many HUGE saves, especially in the playoffs, when it counts. I think the Ottawa Senators would have a Stanley Cup if not for Brodeur, he came up HUGE in game seven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:21 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran

roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP
Quote:
Quote:
Tretiak is top 5 also.

Techncally he did not lose...He allowed two goals after one period... then was taken out, which I still question why he was. But the game was tied after one. He is not credit with the loss. Michlin(sp?) gets the loss, so no, he did not lose to a bunch of college kids...in fact, if he stayed in, I think the U.S. may have ended up losing the game...thank god though he was taken out
ya i think so too. i dont think that Tretiak would have let in a couple of the goals that Myshkin let in. its tough to say.

i wasnt alive during the game, but i still to this day dont know why they took him out. but i guess it worked out for us huh.

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote