Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notre Dame has really only had really high expectations a few of the last 10 years. Ty's second year they were highly ranked and Charlie's second year. People forget that Notre Dame wasn't ranked in the preseason top 25 for most of the last 10 years.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman253
Every year it seems as though Notre Dame is either supposed to be a BCS bowl team or a national champ. Year in and year out. Even last year. Weis came in, and even though they did not start ranked, they were supposed to be at worst a 2 loss team by their standards. Look at this year. One loss and this season is a bust.
Same could be said with Michigan. They have often been ranked in the top 8 in the country preseason and more time than not have not finished in that area.

Also every year it doesn't seem like Notre Dame is supposed to be a BCS bowl team. This is the first year it has been like that in a long time.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
Notre Dame has really only had really high expectations a few of the last 10 years. Ty's second year they were highly ranked and Charlie's second year. People forget that Notre Dame wasn't ranked in the preseason top 25 for most of the last 10 years.
Thank you. Which is why they shouldn't be winning this poll. If this poll was which team was the worst over the past 10 years, fine vote for Notre Dame then. But not many people were overrating them. I voted for Georgia.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 PM    (permalink
danman253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman253
Every year it seems as though Notre Dame is either supposed to be a BCS bowl team or a national champ. Year in and year out. Even last year. Weis came in, and even though they did not start ranked, they were supposed to be at worst a 2 loss team by their standards. Look at this year. One loss and this season is a bust.
Same could be said with Michigan. They have often been ranked in the top 8 in the country preseason and more time than not have not finished in that area.

Also every year it doesn't seem like Notre Dame is supposed to be a BCS bowl team. This is the first year it has been like that in a long time.
i agree michigan is usually overrated, but there is no way that they are blasted for a 1-2 loss season like ND usually is.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:26 PM    (permalink

Seriously, Notre Dame should not even be an option. let alone be in the lead.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
Thank you. Which is why they shouldn't be winning this poll. If this poll was which team was the worst over the past 10 years, fine vote for Notre Dame then. But not many people were overrating them. I voted for Georgia.
As did I. If I were to re-make this poll I'd remove Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida State as they have all produced the the last 10 years, or in Notre Dame's case, not expected to produce.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

when talking about ND, many people look at the fact that they have such a great and successful History. One the greatest football program in College Histiry comes to mind when you think ND. So some people perceive them as being habitually a top tier team, over the last ten years they really have not been on that level

Props to Darnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Behrendt
I cant believe Florida hasnt been getting more mention. I guess there good year has blinded everyone. The Gators havent done anything really in the last 10 years. I think one BCS bowl apperance and a couple SEC championship games. This is a team that always has highly ranked recruiting classes and doesnt do much. Also, they havent been putting out a whole lot of elite NFL prospects. Thoughts, opinions, objections?
They won a National Championship in 1996.
Then underachieved for 9 years, and are now having a good season.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this was before last year's Rose Bowl, I'd vote Texas easily. The whole program was defined by failing to live up to expectations. Now I'd have to say Michigan or Tennessee.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Greg Behrendt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Michigan or Tennessee.
Elaborate. The only reason I gave them consideration was because of last seasons top 5 preseason rankings then 7-5 and 5-6 records.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Michigan or Tennessee.
Elaborate. The only reason I gave them consideration was because of last seasons top 5 preseason rankings then 7-5 and 5-6 records.
The talent level on both teams the past decade have not translated into the kind of records it should have. The expectations have been high, thus making them overrated. I'm generalizing, of course. They've both had years where they did live up to the majority of expectations. I voted ND, so it doesn't matter too much what my thoughts on Big Blue or Tennessee are.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:29 PM    (permalink
snuff

Ok I broke it down for some teams:

ND -20
Mich -36
USC -18
Ten -65
OSU -23
FSU -39
LSU -6

This is the difference between the starting and ending ranking in polls from 96-05.

ND had +17last year and Michigan has -22, made a huge swing which with be off set this year.

Math might be off a few, but its pretty accurate.

From 89-04 ND was the most overrated team with -70, with USC in second at -56.

Since 96 when ND has actually been ranked at the beginning of the season they have never gone up. They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

So the correct answer was Tennessee?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notre Dame easily. How many bowls have they won in the last 19335 years? Charlie Weis's biggest win up to this point has been losing 31-34 to usc.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:15 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I cant believe Florida hasnt been getting more mention. I guess there good year has blinded everyone. The Gators havent done anything really in the last 10 years. I think one BCS bowl apperance and a couple SEC championship games. This is a team that always has highly ranked recruiting classes and doesnt do much. Also, they havent been putting out a whole lot of elite NFL prospects. Thoughts, opinions, objections?
They won a National Championship in 1996.
Then underachieved for 9 years, and are now having a good season.
Two words: Ron Zook.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:57 PM    (permalink

i feel that michigan has been strongly overated in the past(as in not including this year).they have been put into high rankings and have usualy not succeded up to the expectations.
this year they do have a very good team though and will succede above the expectations.
psu and fsu have faded dramatically.
the u just plain sucks.ever since the osu game they have totaly gone downhill.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:01 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
Ok I broke it down for some teams:

ND -20
Mich -36
USC -18
Ten -65
OSU -23
FSU -39
LSU -6

This is the difference between the starting and ending ranking in polls from 96-05.

ND had +17last year and Michigan has -22, made a huge swing which with be off set this year.

Math might be off a few, but its pretty accurate.

From 89-04 ND was the most overrated team with -70, with USC in second at -56.

Since 96 when ND has actually been ranked at the beginning of the season they have never gone up. They have actually never finished inside the top 25 when they started in the top 25, which is 4 times.
is there a reason you skipped 1995?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 PM    (permalink
snuff

Not really NJX, if you look at the poll it says 96-06.

Also Michigan since 96 Michigan has gone up in rank 4 out of the 10 times.

And out of the 6 times they feel they were all less than 7, except of course for last year.

They have only fallen from a top10 place four times and none where that far...
in 2006 they fell from 4 to off.
in 2004 they fell from 8 to 14.
in 2000 they fell from 6 to 11.
in 1998 the fell from 5 to 12.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:05 PM    (permalink
achilles109
Veteran

achilles109 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

flame me all you want but I voted tennesse.. They won a national championship, sure, but every year they are ranked higher in the preseason polls than they end up. They always look good on paper, but never amount to squat.. Tennesse doesn't get as much media attention as Notre Dame, Texas, USC, and Michigan, but they still under produce every year.
achilles109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:10 PM    (permalink
TIP
Veteran

TIP hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
i feel that michigan has been strongly overated in the past(as in not including this year).they have been put into high rankings and have usualy not succeded up to the expectations.
this year they do have a very good team though and will succede above the expectations.
psu and fsu have faded dramatically.
the u just plain sucks.ever since the osu game they have totaly gone downhill.

Not really, FSU besides the last two years has alwasy been top tier, and PSU had a couple of bad years, and are no back to being a good team (granted this year they have struggled, but they are extremely young, but have really god recruits coming. They have faded slightly, but to say dramatically I must disagree

Props to Darnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
^^^^^^
OMFG LMAO
TIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Not really NJX, if you look at the poll it says 96-06.

Also Michigan since 96 Michigan has gone up in rank 4 out of the 10 times.

And out of the 6 times they feel they were all less than 7, except of course for last year.

They have only fallen from a top10 place four times and none where that far...
in 2006 they fell from 4 to off.
in 2004 they fell from 8 to 14.
in 2000 they fell from 6 to 11.
in 1998 the fell from 5 to 12.
nope, you're right, i read the 04 on the notre dame part as "94" instead. nm.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9

Gj stupid moderator.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:56 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:

Gj stupid moderator.
for a second, i thought i was finally going to get a chance to argue with you about something meaningless.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:52 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gj stupid moderator.
for a second, i thought i was finally going to get a chance to argue with you about something meaningless.
Some day we can.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To me, by far the most overrated program is Texas.
Agreed.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote