Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 05-03-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
PacMan_32

Why are we going to start him off at Cb and not Safety.....stupid...i think so
Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan_32 View Post
If they move Griffin to CB, I imagine it will only until Pacman comes back next season. Personally, if the coaching staff thinks he can play CB, I wouldn't mind -- he certainly has the size and speed to play CB.

Which lineup would you rather have this season???

OPTION 1:
CB1 Nick Harper
CB2 Michael Griffin
S Chris Hope
S Vincent Fuller/Calvin Lowry

OR...

OPTION 2:
CB1 Nick Harper
CB2 Reynaldo Hill
S Chris Hope
S Michael Griffin
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 AM    (permalink
iKNOW

griffin cannot play CB. not full time anyway. he played that position for a few spring games/practice at texas and looked out of place. this was against decent WRs though (roy williams, sloan thomas, bj johnson) but only roy williams is still in the league.

the guy is a safety and it will show after he hits the field. cross training him may not be a bad idea but his strength is safety.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:04 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan_32 View Post
Woah, where did you hear this?
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:31 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reports are that Griffin will be playing some at cornerback. I don't think that it will be full time, though. I don't think we would have picked Griffin over Arron Ross or Chris Houston if we wanted a corner, so its obvious we want Griffin for our safety.

I believe MicktheGreat is correct on this one. He'll only be playing corner until Pac comes back. Then he'll become a full time safety. But, I think he's more than capable of playing the cornerback position. He may at least be better than Reynaldo...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:00 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Titans' top pick moving to corner
Griffin primarily a safety in college

By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

The Titans said first-round draft pick Michael Griffin, a safety from Texas, could line up anywhere in the secondary.

When he takes the field as an NFL player for the first time today, however, he'll be easy to spot.

"We are going to line him up at corner,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said Thursday.

Griffin played most of his college career at safety. But going into the draft the Titans were one of several teams who thought he was capable of making the switch to corner at the next level.

With cornerback Pacman Jones suspended for the season, Griffin has an opportunity. But the Titans signed former Colts cornerback Nick Harper this offseason and Reynaldo Hill, the starter opposite Jones last season, is back. Coaches also liked Cortland Finnegan's play at nickelback last year as a rookie.

Fisher said moving Griffin to corner isn't necessarily an experiment.

"We feel like he has corner skills and we know he can play the other positions,'' he said. "So we want to get him as familiar as we possibly can at the position as soon as we can. I think he is best suited to play (cornerback). That's what we're doing, and I believe it is going to work out.''

The 10 draft picks and a batch of undrafted free agents will be on the field at Baptist Sports Park today for two practices at rookie orientation.

The veterans join the rookies next week for the first mini-camp of the offseason.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....705040452/1027

*shrugs*

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:07 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was certainly a surprise when I first heard about it. BUt ... it just might work. He certainly has the athleticism ... and his body might be a better fit there. It's a big gamble ... but it's an intriguing gamble.

Aaron Ross was not only older ... his instincts at CB were questionable. I'm a huge fan of Chris Houston, but a lot of scouts were questioning him up to the draft, and as such, he fell. After Revis and Hall ... there was a gap in the CB grades.

My guess is they'll let him run with it at CB. If he struggles horribly, then he may slide back to S.

I still wonder, though, if the rumored Michael Turner discussions impacted this move a tiny bit.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:23 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
This was certainly a surprise when I first heard about it. BUt ... it just might work. He certainly has the athleticism ... and his body might be a better fit there. It's a big gamble ... but it's an intriguing gamble.

Aaron Ross was not only older ... his instincts at CB were questionable. I'm a huge fan of Chris Houston, but a lot of scouts were questioning him up to the draft, and as such, he fell. After Revis and Hall ... there was a gap in the CB grades.

My guess is they'll let him run with it at CB. If he struggles horribly, then he may slide back to S.

I still wonder, though, if the rumored Michael Turner discussions impacted this move a tiny bit.
i reckon he can do it :)
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember reading a quote from Fisher that said we were gonna try him out at corner and see how it works out. If he doesn't, then he'll go to safety.

One positive is that he did run the 3rd fastest short shuttle at the combine for DBs.

Maybe he'll work out there. Maybe not, then he'll just go to safety. The only thing I fear in this whole situation is that it opens the door for that assclown LaMont Thompson to get back on the field. I might puke if I see those long ass dreads of his ever take the field again.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
LitoSheppard
Veteran

LitoSheppard needs more cowbell.

IMO that was a terrible pick. He will be good for you, but it is a terrible pick in the sense that you could of had Robert Meachem, Dwayne Bowe, or at worst Dwayne Jarret. Meachem could of helped you by miles more then Griffin.
You lost Bennett and Givens, so that was a luxury pick. I guess you guys have a Wide Receiver plan?

^ bantx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROY_FROM_YONDER View Post
**** this forum it will never ever been good cause its memebers eat doo doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I just left him negative rep saying "I don't eat doo doo".
LitoSheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yuck. If anything, this is evidence that the Titans picked Griffin for the Chargers, and then the deal fell through.

There were several corners available who at least had experience at the position, and if you really wanted to convert a safety, Nelson and Meriweather were clearly better candidates, and still on the board.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Yeah, you'd think if they were going to convert any of the remaining safeties into a cornerback, they would have chosen Nelson or Merriweather. BUT! While Nelson has excellent instincts, his intellect is questioned, and he really only had one year of production. And, Merriweather has conduct questions, so we weren't gonna touch him.

Griffin, on the otherhand, has 4 years of production, has great intangibles, and is a great special teamer. I wouldn't mind seeing him play CB for a while. He is actually very good in coverage. And if he doesn't transition well, we move him to safety, yank Lamont "I must have my helmet on backwards, cuz I dunno where the friggin ball went" Thompson off the field, and sent out Reynaldo back onto the field. I hear he and Lamont wear the same size helmet...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 05-04-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoSheppard View Post
IMO that was a terrible pick. He will be good for you, but it is a terrible pick in the sense that you could of had Robert Meachem, Dwayne Bowe, or at worst Dwayne Jarret. Meachem could of helped you by miles more then Griffin.
You lost Bennett and Givens, so that was a luxury pick. I guess you guys have a Wide Receiver plan?
That's very debatable. 1st round WR is one of the most bust prone positions out there. Our defense is terrible. The worst player on the team BY FAR is our FS. It's not even close. Not even remotely. For all the bashing Rey Hill gets, LaMont Thompson is 10x worse.

If you look at it, CB and FS were both positions of need. If we try Griffin out at corner and he succeeds, then how is it a bad pick? And if he fails at corner, then we just stick him at FS and let him run and hit. In the mean time, if he's playing corner, I hope we start Lowry at S over LaMont. The rumor posted over at titanscentral was that Griffin will start out in the nickel, with Finnegan going outside, and we'll work from there during Training Camp to see who wins out at every position.

I'd love to see our lineup as

CB- Harper
CB- Finnegan
NB- Fuller
FS- Griffin
SS- Hope

And then get Pac back next year, it could be a good secondary. I love Finnegan. Kid's a gamer. I don't know how the hell we reinserted Hill as the starter after the game Finnegan had starting vs. the Eagles.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow Moving him to CB makes the pick even worse. The Titans could have had an amazing draft if they went Robert Meachem round 1, Josh Wilson round 2, and Aaron Rouse round 3 or Charles Johnson. Now why didn't they take Brandon Merriweather??

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettosermon View Post
Wow Moving him to CB makes the pick even worse. The Titans could have had an amazing draft if they went Robert Meachem round 1, Josh Wilson round 2, and Aaron Rouse round 3 or Charles Johnson. Now why didn't they take Brandon Merriweather??
Still don't understand this logic. What exactly is the downside to having him work at corner? If he happens to excel at it, then it's a good pick and fills a need that we have at CB. If he fails at it, then Fisher has already said that he'll be moved back to S where we also have a huge need.

I'd rather stick him at FS right off the bat honestly, but I'm failing to see what's so horrible about trying him out at CB. He's either gonna sink or swim. If he swims, great. If he sinks, then he gets a chance to prove he can make it at S.

The reason we didn't draft Meriweather is because of the character concerns, no matter how severe they were. It would have been terrible PR for the team, having already dealt with Albert Haynesworth and Pacman Jones ordeals in the same year. People in the media would have been ripping us. It's also highly likely that Griffin was simply rated higher...he was by a lot of people.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Michael Griffin isn't moving permanently to CB, ghettosermon. It's just for this season. Due to Pacman's situation, Griffin was more valuable to us than any of the WR's. We were at a spot where we could get a player who could cover our #2 corner position for this year, and then become our future at "FS". Thats a good pick for us.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 05-04-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Still don't understand this logic. What exactly is the downside to having him work at corner? If he happens to excel at it, then it's a good pick and fills a need that we have at CB. If he fails at it, then Fisher has already said that he'll be moved back to S where we also have a huge need.
He got beat in coverage in college last year at safety, how is he going to cover at CB in the NFL.

This really doesn't make a lot of sense.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

He had 4 INT's and 10 pass break-ups from the safety position, last year. Just because he got beaten a few times doesn't mean he's bad in coverage. Scott has him listed as "exceptional" in that part of his game, actually.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
He had 4 INT's and 10 pass break-ups from the safety position, last year. Just because he got beaten a few times doesn't mean he's bad in coverage. Scott has him listed as "exceptional" in that part of his game, actually.
As a safety, but he doesn't have the hip fluidity and low center of gravity required to be a decent corner in the league, bad move IMO just keep him at safety and work with what you got at corner.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

What we have at corner is whats making us temporarily convert a safety to corner tho... I dunno. It may sound like a stupid move, but I'm going to reserve my judgement until I see him actually play the position. I have faith that our coaching staff will put him in a position to succeed.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Phrost

After personally watching him at Texas....bad bad BAD decision!
His true talents truly lie in his coverage abilities and tackling abilities.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

**** Reinfeldt.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
iKNOW

if griffin could play cb he would have played it last year at texas. texas lost tarell brown and had to rotate 2 undersized and inexperienced cbs and a true freshman against ohio state (against gonzalez and ginn).

i think this is just temporary due to the pacman situation. griffin plays better facing the qb and putting hits on people.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I too watched nearly every single one of his games at Texas the last two years. He's a bone crushing hitter that can deliver a knockout punch and is definitely more suited for the safety position.

No matter what his situation is on defense he is still one of the best punt block/punt coverage in the business.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow...this is confusing...

but i have faith in jeff fisher, so i refuse to bash him or the pick...he hasnt been the head coach this long, to not know what he's doing...he's always done a great job with this team, especially last year....

but i wouldnt bank on a top 10 pick again, and put all your eggs in one basket as far as a marquee player...remember when last season started everyone had you guys penciled in for CJ for quite some time, until the wins started to pile up...

as far as griffin, im pretty confident that he showed the coaching staff something to make them believe he can be a corner, i think he has better coverage ability then jammer did, and he has good instincts for the ball...although it makes me think for some odd reason vince was a part of this pick, because if this was their plan instead of WR this year, then merriweather would of been a much smarter selection, he fits ALOT better at CB, and can switch back to safety IF pacman comes back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote