Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Unhappy campers?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10164717

"In Detroit, free-agent defensive tackle Cory Redding, the Lions' franchise player, does not intend to show up to any drills or the team's training complex until he has a new long-term contract."

"An opposite situation is unfolding in New Orleans, where the Saints signed their franchise defensive end Charles Grant to a seven-year contract worth up to $63 million. Grant is now happy; New Orleans' other defensive end, Pro Bowl selection Will Smith, is not."
Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wonder what the Lions could get for Redding!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand why Will Smith isn't happy... He's scheduled to make squat this year, while the guy on the opposite side of the field makes a fortune doing the same job... I'd be pissed off too.

Redding will get a contract, Lions NEED that line to be as strong as it can possibly be... especially since we have little else good on defense.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grady Jackson for the Falcons is also unhappy right now and unless given a new contract, which he won't be, he refuses to play and has also sued the Falcons.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Gravedigger42
Rookie

Gravedigger42 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Grady has a history of being po'd with his contracts. Wonder why he even signs em to begin with. He had a couple of productive years in GB but then the Pack let him walk to Atlanta because throughout the last year of deal he claimed he wasn't happy. This guy definetley overrates himself.
Gravedigger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:36 AM    (permalink
JCshutEmDown
Rookie

JCshutEmDown hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I understand why Will Smith isn't happy... He's scheduled to make squat this year, while the guy on the opposite side of the field makes a fortune doing the same job... I'd be pissed off too.
So why did he sign the contract?
JCshutEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCshutEmDown View Post
So why did he sign the contract?
I believe it's still his rookie contract...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Neither Smith nor his agent has said anything public about his contract situation and I fully expect him to play out the rest of his rookie contract until it's time to re-up him in '10. Period.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 AM    (permalink
JCshutEmDown
Rookie

JCshutEmDown hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I believe it's still his rookie contract...
That's his fault for signing a 6 year rookie contract.
JCshutEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Will Smith needs to be patient and play out his rookie contract like Grant did, and he will be rewarded for his play like Grant was.

As of now he hasn't said anything public and I believe this is just an attempt to get some sort of early contract dialogue started with Loomis.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Greg Ellis in Dallas is once again unhappy with his situation. The drafting of Anthony Spencer puts his starting job in jeopardy for the second year in a row.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never understood the concern amongst the media or the front office if guys are happy.

Who gives a ****?

You can show up, get paid, do a good job, and make millions of dollars.

Or you can not show up, make nothing, and waste away the better part of your career.

Franchises need to start making a stand against players that don't understand how contracts and bargaining agreements work. Too often teams gets pushed into making a trade to save face and get some sort of value for a guy they don't feel they can work things out with. I'm sick of it, and if the Bears get absolutely nothing and Briggs doesn't show up I'm ok with that too, because it sends the message to every guy in the lockeroom that you honor your contract or you don't get paid. Stuff like the Packers trading Javon Walker simply cause he wants a quicker payday needs to stop.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX View Post
Greg Ellis in Dallas is once again unhappy with his situation. The drafting of Anthony Spencer puts his starting job in jeopardy for the second year in a row.
Maybe he should shut up and compete. What in the world makes a guy like Greg Ellis think anyone cares what he has to say? You're a marginal player that probably should have a young guy pushing him.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:50 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notredameleo View Post
Wonder what the Lions could get for Redding!
The Lions should deal him to the Skins in a deal that involves Shawn Springs

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I've never understood the concern amongst the media or the front office if guys are happy.

Who gives a ****?

Or you can not show up, make nothing, and waste away the better part of your career.

Franchises need to start making a stand against players that don't understand how contracts and bargaining agreements work. Too often teams gets pushed into making a trade to save face and get some sort of value for a guy they don't feel they can work things out with. I'm sick of it, and if the Bears get absolutely nothing and Briggs doesn't show up I'm ok with that too, because it sends the message to every guy in the lockeroom that you honor your contract or you don't get paid. Stuff like the Packers trading Javon Walker simply cause he wants a quicker payday needs to stop.
++++rep...I think that when teams just unload players for that reason is why there's so many players switching teams pretty much every year...it would be great if sports went back to the way they used to be when 90% of players stayed on a team for atleast like 7-8 years...instead now they switch teams ever 3 years so they can make an extra $1.5 million a year...I hope teams stop giving into players like that and make stands like the Bears are doing with Briggs to let the rest of the team know that if you want a raise or a new contract you earn it on the field not by sitting out like a b*tch

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
tEk
Veteran

tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

so at what point were they camping?

anyways, as bf51 put it. its like having a child and if they don't follow your rules you don't put them up for adoption(at least i would hope not). you bring out the whip(keep them in their contract if they play or not) although i believe in the contract it states they have to play. correct me if im wrong about the contract thing, or is it different for each team. holding out should be a breach of contract then and they could force them to play (maybe not whole-heartedly or with any effort but they will play)

Hitman D
tEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEk View Post
so at what point were they camping?

anyways, as bf51 put it. its like having a child and if they don't follow your rules you don't put them up for adoption(at least i would hope not). you bring out the whip(keep them in their contract if they play or not) although i believe in the contract it states they have to play. correct me if im wrong about the contract thing, or is it different for each team. holding out should be a breach of contract then and they could force them to play (maybe not whole-heartedly or with any effort but they will play)
Holding out is a breach of contract, and they don't get paid their weekly salaries or bonuses when they're holding out.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Smith will play out his rookie contract. I highly doubt he holds out or does anything that puts himself before the team. It just does not sound like anything he would do. If you look at Grant's contract, it is backloaded, which means he will probably be traded or released in a few years. Smith's contract is up in 2 years and he will more than likely receive a big salary. I'm not worried at all.

And I agree with bf51. As a fan I am tired of hearing how players, who make more in a season than I will make in a lifetime are insisting on higher pay and will threaten to hold out if they do not receive it. In my opinion players are not worth nearly as much as they get paid, but since that is the nature of the sport then let them compete and show the franchise that they deserve the money that they think they should make before causing a media frenzy by threatening to hold out.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

Who gives a ****?

it's possible that maybe these kids should get an effing education so they don't have to worry about effing football all the time as the only source of income they're ever going to get in their life.

okay. so i want to be super rich. great. play football and don't be such a god d*** cu*t about it. geez, these men are whinier than me. blah blah blah, i don't get paid enough, blah blah blah. so your career is on average 4 years. with minimum salary, you'll still end up making like a million dollar in four years. with proper investment, and a steady day job afterwards, you'll live life in the fast line forever. besides, all the whiners are still making shitloads of money. briggs was like a mill a year or something like that... with seven million, with proper investing, you shouldn't ever have to worry about SH*T. for serious.

nfl clubs should offer lessons in investing.

but, now i sound like a bears FO fangirl. they gave TJ what he wanted because it was benificial to them. and he was a whiner. but. they really probably have the biggest coglioni with the briggs situation. most teams woulda taken the trade to the skins just to save face. but i think jerry angelo has re-earned the respect of bears fan everywhere.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Smith is much better than Charles Grant, so I too would be mad if I were him.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Will Smith is much better than Charles Grant, so I too would be mad if I were him.
Pfft. He hasn't said anything yet and Smith is acting as if he's not going to receive his dough which he clearly is.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
Grady Jackson for the Falcons is also unhappy right now and unless given a new contract, which he won't be, he refuses to play and has also sued the Falcons.
same old Grady.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the Lions have any intention of signing Redding long-term, but that's just me. I think the reason they drafted Ikaika Alma-Francis was to be the future next to Shaun Rogers, who is now on board with Marinelli's plans. I think they plan to keep Redding this year as a stop gap and develop Alma Francis. Then, they let Redding walk after this year. This is just me speculating, but I think it is a possibility.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Asante Samuel is also unhappy. Hes not deserving of a Clements contract really..not many CBs are(not even Nate). His tattoo says "Get Paid"..my only concern with giving him so much is that he starts swimming in the money and not working to his potential
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Asante Samule deserves the dough he led the league in pics. And he has also shown that he is one of the best CBs in the league.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote