Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride396 View Post
One reason for auburn's rise in recruiting in recent years was saban's departure from LSU. He owned south Alabama (Dothan Mobile etc.) and had considerable influence in the deep south.

Word is, he's already put his roots back in down in South Alabama. Living in Hoover, alabama, I know that most of the guys around here were looking to play for Auburn until saban walked in.

Mike Shula was a solid recruiter (a la Zook) but, he didn't have the ties and influence Saban has. I'd look for Auburn to suffer in in-state recruiting at Bama's expense in the near future.
I suppose thats true. I've always seen him as an incredible recruiter, but talent alone doesn't win. Some of his teams at LSU had a tendency to not show up prepared. They put it together for one season, and even then they lost a game they should've won.

We'll have to wait and see how it turns out, I guess. I think that the coach who comes in after him will probably have more success than Saban did on the field, but I could be wrong about that.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constant cough View Post
I don't know about that LSU's still been pulling talent out of Mobile even without Saban, got two guys from Mobile in last Feb's signing class.
That's because Saban established a pipeline there for them.

His first objective will be to cut off that pipeline, and slow down the flow of recruits Auburn gets from what he considers to be "his" recruiting property--- through you can't cut Auburn out entirely out of any part of Alabama.

Then, Saban will work to re-establish the numerous connections he established in Baton Rouge and the surrounding areas.

After all, turnabout is fair play.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

He didn't make any friends in Louisiana this recruiting season.. I think he'll have a pretty rough go of things in trying to re-establish his connections in the state for a little while.

It also doesn't hurt that LSU is having monumental success right now and that Les Miles is showing a pretty good recruiters touch. He's showing that he can keep the best players in state just like Saban did.

The SEC's coaches are brutal right now.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah I agree I don't see Saban making any inroads in Louisiana, he isn't exactally well liked down here anymore. You should hear what Rayville or West Monroe's coaches have to say about him. They basically said they will steer all their recruits over to LSU.

Saban may or may not cut off LSU's pipeline to Mobile but that doesn't change the fact that since he left LSU has still been able to recruit Moblie and neither Auburn nor Saban has stopped that, yet. We'll see.

Saban is more of a threat to Auburn recruiting than to LSU. LSU recruits Louisiana,Texas, Mississippi and some Alabama and Flroida. If Saban starts beating LSU I can see it affecting Alabama recruiting but Saban will never have any affect on LSU's ablity to recruit Louisiana or Texas. I don't even see it affecting LSU's Mississippi recruiting, LSU has always recruiting Miss well even during the bad years.

Alabama and LSU's recruiting territory doesn't overlap enough for Saban to make a difference to LSU's recruiting even if he does start winning. In short, I'm not worried about Saban I'm much more concerned about Auburn and Florida.

Last edited by constant cough : 05-09-2007 at 10:51 AM.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to mention Louisiana's talent is far superior to Alabama's. He can shut off the state all he wants but he wont come in and get any of LAs studs.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
reese

i hope not...the last thing we need is another consistant team in the SEC
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
miketomczak

The SEC is crazy good. I would always get mad when i would hear people say the ACC was so great and blah blah blah when their only good team was FSU. I grew up near Pittsburgh and I'm a Big East (unfortunately) and Big Ten fan. So i feel i'm unbiased when i say the SEC is the best right now, and its not that close. I was shocked when the ball coach went to SC. what was he thinking? trying to build SC when its hard enough to rebuild a team like Alabama. although Spurrier seems to be doing pretty well. anyway, this is my first post...and i have a stupid question...do you pay money for people to make the sigs, or do they just do it for fun? Go Pitt!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Saban will lead Alabama to a winning season and a modest Bowl Game in 2007. In 2008, he will lead the Dallas Cowboys to the playoffs.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

You think he'll leave that fast? I'm not so sure about that..I think NFL teams may not think about him because of his track record.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
reese

im a miami fan and unlike most of our fans i think he was on the right track in the nfl...he made a couple mistakes but who wouldnt at first...but i def dont think he is leavin to go back after 1 year....
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
You think he'll leave that fast? I'm not so sure about that..I think NFL teams may not think about him because of his track record.
I was joking... but nothing would shock me with Saban.

I do think that if the Cowboys miss the playoffs in 2007, Jerry Jones is going to fire Wade Phillips and bring in a big name coach. I'd predict he'd make a run at someone like a Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer, Pete Carroll, or possibly, depending on how quick things turn around at Alabama, Nick Saban. What I'd really like to see is Jerry admitting the biggest mistake he's ever made and luring Jimmy Johnson back to Big D.

Sorry, didn't mean to get that much off topic...

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Saban has never stayed any place longer than 5 years.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Ah, its kinda hard to pick up sarcasm over the internet, haha.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

some of you guys act like the tide never changes, as if the same schools who are winning now will stay that way...

if thats the case explain why FSU is a bottom tier team in their conference with the same head coach, and exceptional recruiting dating back since 1999? programs get better, and Alabama was never a "bad" one to begin with...they have plenty of talent, alot of time its just they need a coach to implement things together and bring that swagger along with them...you dont think he will have his guys ready to play LSU every time they step on the field together?

just like spurrier has SC ready to play UF, and that game is usually a toss up down to the final minutes of the 4th...yes UF has alot more talent then SC, and normally would consider that game an easy win before spurrier took over, now every year its a toss up....

so id expect this year to be pretty good for Saban, but after he gets 2 solid years of recruits under his belt i see no reason why 'bama shouldnt be contending for the SEC title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Very true. Busts, injuries, and upsets can really turn a program backwards. No one can stay on top forever, just some longer than others.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
some of you guys act like the tide never changes, as if the same schools who are winning now will stay that way...

if thats the case explain why FSU is a bottom tier team in their conference with the same head coach, and exceptional recruiting dating back since 1999? programs get better, and Alabama was never a "bad" one to begin with...they have plenty of talent, alot of time its just they need a coach to implement things together and bring that swagger along with them...you dont think he will have his guys ready to play LSU every time they step on the field together?

just like spurrier has SC ready to play UF, and that game is usually a toss up down to the final minutes of the 4th...yes UF has alot more talent then SC, and normally would consider that game an easy win before spurrier took over, now every year its a toss up....

so id expect this year to be pretty good for Saban, but after he gets 2 solid years of recruits under his belt i see no reason why 'bama shouldnt be contending for the SEC title
:(.............................

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Saban as a Coach=Awesome

Saban as a recruiter=Very, very bad

He'll need some good recruiters.

He can turn them into a contender but just for the SEC, thats it. Nothing for the NC.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Thats totally opposite of what I see him as. He recruited the living hell out of the south when he was at LSU but those teams still regularly underpreformed and lost games they should've won (Alabama-Birmingham for instance).
Old 05-18-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
Saban as a Coach=Awesome

He can turn them into a contender but just for the SEC, thats it. Nothing for the NC.
Kidding?

JaMarcus Russell
LaRon Landry
Dwayne Bowe
Craig Davis
Glenn Dorsey
Early Doucet
Claude Wroten
Tyson Jackson
Matt Flynn
Marcus Spears
Michael Clayton

...all recruited by Saban.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 05-18-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
Saban as a Coach=Awesome

Go to rivals and check out his recruiting classes while he was at LSU. They were stacked.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Kidding?

JaMarcus Russell
LaRon Landry
Dwayne Bowe
Craig Davis
Glenn Dorsey
Early Doucet
Claude Wroten
Tyson Jackson
Matt Flynn
Marcus Spears
Michael Clayton

...all recruited by Saban.
not entirely true.......while yes he was the coach there, not all of them were recruited by Saban personally. I know for a fact Bowe was recruited by Jimbo Fisher...

I expect him to get some great defensive recruits, but not because of his actual recruiting skills, but because of Kevin Steele

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He will be gone in a few years anyways
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote