Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm gonna throw another name out there, and I'm sure it's been talked about before, but if I missed it, I'd like to bring it up again. What about Alan Branch, DT from Michigan. Watching Michigan this year, the guy is outstanding. At 6'6 310, I've seen where people think he could be a great 3-4 DE. He wouldn't have to come in right away and play, but in his 2nd year could take over for Smith. Smith hasn't done much this year and isn't getting any better. It's a position where we rotate a lot of guys anyway, and have no real young talent there.

Not saying he's a slam dunk over o-line, lb, or any other position, but I'd be in all favor of going after him. Could be moot if he's long gone (or not even in the draft), but lets assume for argument's sake he won't be gone and will be in the draft. I'm all for adding studs in the first round and worrying about needs elsewhere, and I think Branch would be one of my top candidates.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:32 AM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying CB is a first round need, but after tonight it's pretty easy to see that we don't have a whole lot of quality depth at the position.

Also, for those who want to get Revis, isn't he just a junior? If so, it's not completely certain he will even come out this year.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarocksoi
I'm not saying CB is a first round need, but after tonight it's pretty easy to see that we don't have a whole lot of quality depth at the position.

Also, for those who want to get Revis, isn't he just a junior? If so, it's not completely certain he will even come out this year.
From talking with him, he wouldn't tell me flat out, but he made it pretty sure he was almost a lock to leave.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:00 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's going to come out. He is one of the top corners in the country and will likely go as a first rounder.

As to Alan Branch, I think he would bea great 3-4 DE and I think we will be able to get him where we pick but I would only take him if the elite tackles and linebackers were gone. We have pretty good depth at DE already. Bailey and Kirshke get alot of play time and they look pretty good while doing it. I'd take a guy in the 3rd or 4th like we did with Orien this year and hope it works out.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal
He's going to come out. He is one of the top corners in the country and will likely go as a first rounder.

As to Alan Branch, I think he would bea great 3-4 DE and I think we will be able to get him where we pick but I would only take him if the elite tackles and linebackers were gone. We have pretty good depth at DE already. Bailey and Kirshke get alot of play time and they look pretty good while doing it. I'd take a guy in the 3rd or 4th like we did with Orien this year and hope it works out.
I want Mkristo Bruce, but i'm unsure of where. I think he could give us a jason taylor like player at OLB, or be like Aaron Smith at DE.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is thier any defensive backs we can pick up on the waiver wire. I not as disspointed with the corner play as some people(the pass rush isn't getting there) but our guys are dropping like flys.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about Jay Alford, a DT from Penn State. He's one of those undersized DT's about 6-3, 288 that you could maybe move from the middle to a DE. The guy is pretty stout against the run, but can seriously penetrate into the backfield and leads PSU in both TFL's and and Sacks.

Can he fit as a DE in the 3-4 if he maybe gains a little weight, or is he just not tall enough? I think if he could fit in our scheme he would be an interesting prospect that probably wont go until the 4th or 5th round. Your thoughts.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Pittbc7
Rookie

Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.Pittbc7 is so money.

Adam Carriker is the perfect 3-4 DE and hopefully a guy the Steelers take a long look at.
Pittbc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At first it looked liek Carriker would be a first round lock but he seems to be folling some. I would love to land him in the 2nd round. We need to add youth there because Smith and Kirschke are getting up there in age.

We still have Harris on the practice squad who I think will develop into a good 3-4 DE with time. He looked good this preseason and will get another shot next training camp.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
At first it looked liek Carriker would be a first round lock but he seems to be folling some. I would love to land him in the 2nd round. We need to add youth there because Smith and Kirschke are getting up there in age.

We still have Harris on the practice squad who I think will develop into a good 3-4 DE with time. He looked good this preseason and will get another shot next training camp.
]

Carriker has had a pretty weak showing this year, he's 6'8 and can barely manage tackle let along a guard and tackle to let the LB's Roam.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

so,

I was thinking about who Colbert was scouting and I think we could have 2-3 new LB's this year.

OLB: Keith Rivers/Lawrence Jackson of USC, and William Beckford of Rutgers
ILB: Eric Foster, the DT of Rutgers.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:34 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
so,

I was thinking about who Colbert was scouting and I think we could have 2-3 new LB's this year.

I think so too. We need depth at LB behind Porter, Haggans, Foote, etc... I think we could also use CB help but I think they'll draft that position later in the draft. I think we could also use a RB and some O-line help.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
so,

I think so too. We need depth at LB behind Porter, Haggans, Foote, etc... I think we could also use CB help but I think they'll draft that position later in the draft. I think we could also use a RB and some O-line help.
I know i get criticised for this but I dont care who likes Hall Revis is a shutdown corner. I'm thinking it might go something like this now:

1) Darrelle Revis
2) Lawrence Jackson
3) James Marten
4) WR/RB
5) William Beckford
6) Eric Foster
7) BPA

I'm unsure about it, sure but I'm not totally sold on the fact we don't worry about defense. We have went from a top 3-5 defense to mediocre.. we have no pass rush and it's putting our CB's and safeties on a limb. We need an ample pass rush to run all of LeBeaus Schemes
Old 11-14-2006, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

I'd much rather get a great pass rusher or O-lineman than Revis in the first.

I'd take
1. OLB
2. OT
3. ILB
4. DE

Corner isn't a need we need to adress early in the draft. We have our of guys for the future at corner and Ricardo has looked good when in at Nickleback. Plus we will probably have Ike, McFadden, Townsend and Ricardo all back next year. I'd rather add a FA that coule fill in the holes of the secondary when people get injured than adding a guy in the early rounds of the draft that would probably end up being a career backup.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd much rather get a great pass rusher or O-lineman than Revis in the first.

I'd take
1. OLB
2. OT
3. ILB
4. DE

Corner isn't a need we need to adress early in the draft. We have our of guys for the future at corner and Ricardo has looked good when in at Nickleback. Plus we will probably have Ike, McFadden, Townsend and Ricardo all back next year. I'd rather add a FA that coule fill in the holes of the secondary when people get injured than adding a guy in the early rounds of the draft that would probably end up being a career backup.
I was just going by who Kevin Colbert was scouting Heavily.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

I havn't heard anything about Colbert scouting Revis. If you have a link to that I would love to see that.

I have heard he loves Lawrence Jackson though.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
I havn't heard anything about Colbert scouting Revis. If you have a link to that I would love to see that.

I have heard he loves Lawrence Jackson though.
I've just heard that he's been scouting Pitt, BC, Rutgers, and USC hardcore.

Revis, Palko, Buches or Session are the only guys I could think of.

We've scouted Steve Smith, L. Jack and Isaiah Stanback pretty hardcore

Rutgers.. I heard Leonard, Foster, and Beckford.

BC: I Heard Marten.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:25 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Steve Smith would really help us out. I like Tyler Palko a lot, I'd like to see the Saints get him, but he'd be a great backup for Big Ben as well. He has that mentality and toughness that Cowher looks for.

I wonder how much their considering Brian Leonard. He's a do-it-all, big back.

I think the Steelers are going to go BPA in the first round at these positions: OL, LB, DE, RB. Cowher isn't known for taking first round CB's.

I think we should get our second win in a row this weekend against the Browns.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-15-2006, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
I think Steve Smith would really help us out. I like Tyler Palko a lot, I'd like to see the Saints get him, but he'd be a great backup for Big Ben as well. He has that mentality and toughness that Cowher looks for.

I think the Steelers are going to go BPA in the first round at these positions: OL, LB, DE, RB. Cowher isn't known for taking first round CB's.

He did draft Deon Figures and Chad Scott.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This makes me ill the possiblilty that we could actually lose to the Browns. This is Braylon Edward's take on the whole thing.

`We're coming after their ass,''

``This is not a situation where they say the past is the past,''

``No. The hell with that. We're coming after their (butt). You don't beat somebody 41-0 at their own house.

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Cowher also loved the idea of drafting Dunta Robinson the year we got Ben. If the Texans didn't take him before us I have read we wopuld have taken him.

I just don't think corner is a first round need this year. Ask yourself what the worst two areas for the Steelers have been this year other than the obivous turnovers. They are O-line and pass rush. Thats what we need to adress in the first 2 rounds.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

I think the Browns are a better team than their record looks like but Frye hasn't played as well as some of the Browns fans have expected and their secondary isn't very good. I think Ben will have a huge day. Our defense is good enough to stop their offense as long as we don't play like we did against NO. We need to have Polamalu back for this game.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Some good news today. Both Polamalu and Harrison practiced today. Polamalu said he feels great and expects to play. Harrison said he is still listed as doubtful so that is what he is. Hartings played so but Okobi was lined up with the starters. Townsend and Reid both sat out with their injuries.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:

Cowher I believe has never taken a first round RB. only 2 taken in the last 23 years. both before his time.

My thinking behind the leonard pick up.

Give us some versatility. Leonard could line up in front of Willie, because, as much as I love Kreider, he's not fast enough to be out blocking for willie, meanwhile Leonard could block, disengage and block another guy, letting willie get deeper. Plus he's got hands and is a lot faster. Could be our 3rd down back and FB.

I have to wait until the season is over to be accurate, but Revis isn't exactly a Crazy idea.

Colclough isn't necesarily coming back, Townsend is getting really old. Ike is Regressing it seems (From lack of Pass rush), and McFadden is starting his rookie mistakes. I could really see us gettin Revis round 1. gives us a young quadro of solid corners Revis, Taylor, McFadden and Madison.

Here's a draft I could see:

1) Darrelle Revis / Victor Abiamiri
2) David Harris
3) Brian Leonard / Tony Hunt
4) James Marten
4) Brian Smith
5) Kevin Kolb/ Jordan Palmer/ John Beck/ Steve Smith
6) Eric Foster
6) Ikaika Alama-Francis
7) William Beckford.

UDFA:

Sawyer Smith QB
Ronnie McGill or Germaine Race RB
Cory Anderson FB
Steve Buches TE
Van Houston DE
Quinton Echols NT
Ramon Guzman OLB
Joe Sturdivant FS
Adam Podlesh or Adam Graessle P
Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I think Kolb and Smith will go higher than round 5 and I think Round 2 might be a little too early to take David Harris.

We do need a LB in the second round, though. Maybe someone like H.B. Blades or a good pass rushing OLB.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter