Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 02-17-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like it. I really like the thought of Greg Olsen in a Panthers' jersey.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:43 AM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's now coming out that the writer of that article was a little overzealous and that Morgan DID NOT restructure. If you look at his contract after the extension, he was scheduled to make $750,000 this season which is the vet minimum. That means the team is still on hook for the $2 mil roster bonus in March.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
fondoffilm
Rookie

fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.fondoffilm is a cocksman.

What's the status on Eric Shelton?
fondoffilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron
Thoughts on my Panthers first day mock?

Getting Olsen at 47 would be a huge steal! I've been watching him and he truly is a stud coming out, definitely a safety valve that would benefit Jake and take some pressure off of Steve Smith.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondoffilm
Unlucky. As far as I'm concerned he's a misused talent. Good hands, good size/speed combo and he runs well. I don't know why he's never been given more of a chance than he has to be honest. I think he pissed in Dan Henning's cornflakes or something. Hopefully Davidson uses him more often.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So...we released Al Wallace

I guess this means Rucker is staying or we're taking a DE early. I mean, I like McClover, but he's not ready to start next year
Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite
Quote:
Unlucky. As far as I'm concerned he's a misused talent. Good hands, good size/speed combo and he runs well. I don't know why he's never been given more of a chance than he has to be honest. I think he pissed in Dan Henning's cornflakes or something. Hopefully Davidson uses him more often.
Well, he gets a new shot because the offense is going to be re-evaluated, and he could get a fair shot.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:41 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman
So...we released Al Wallace

I guess this means Rucker is staying or we're taking a DE early. I mean, I like McClover, but he's not ready to start next year
Don't understand that move. He was solid and could've started until Rucker was completely healthy. Now, we'll surely need to find someone early in the draft.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn
Quote:
Quote:
Well, he gets a new shot because the offense is going to be re-evaluated, and he could get a fair shot.
Hopefully, he'll be able to catch on. If he can be the player our scouts thought he was, Williams / Shelton could be quite the duo. If we enter this season with DeShaun Foster as our starter, I'll be pissed.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:27 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Foster should be cut, it would save us over 2 mill.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Foster should be cut, it would save us over 2 mill.
Yeah, it will be interesting. Al Wallace got cut btw
Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
nicksm

if we could get out of the first day with landry/r.nelson/p.wills in round 1, b.davis/h.b. blades/b.merriweather round 2, and scott chandler round 3 i would be very pleased. idk how much other nfl teams would value foster (I think he still has great potential but we really don't need him) but with michael bush falling quite a bit we could trade foster for a pick or something that involves foster to get Michael Bush who some say could fall to late 2nd/early 3rd. DeAngelo and M.Bush would be a great combo. I think Eric Shelton is done for although it seemed like he was going to be a good back. Bush could be that north/south back that we need+bush has some quickness to go with his power
Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1KeyshawnJohnsonFan
if we could get out of the first day with landry/r.nelson/p.wills in round 1, b.davis/h.b. blades/b.merriweather round 2, and scott chandler round 3 i would be very pleased. idk how much other nfl teams would value foster (I think he still has great potential but we really don't need him) but with michael bush falling quite a bit we could trade foster for a pick or something that involves foster to get Michael Bush who some say could fall to late 2nd/early 3rd. DeAngelo and M.Bush would be a great combo. I think Eric Shelton is done for although it seemed like he was going to be a good back. Bush could be that north/south back that we need+bush has some quickness to go with his power
Bring in Bush would just be bringing in another Shelton, a big man who doesn't run like a big man.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1KeyshawnJohnsonFan
Bring in Bush would just be bringing in another Shelton, a big man who doesn't run like a big man.
Agreed. Best power runningback in the draft is Tony Hunt, who I would really consider if he is available at our third-round pick.

Perhaps we could shop Foster to a team like Denver or Houston, where they have a scheme that any runningback could succeed in. Foster still has some tools, but he isn't a compliment to DeAngelo Williams and Williams is our present and future at the position.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Brian Lenard could be better, but he could also be gone the same time hunt is.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
nicksm

yeah I agree that Tony Hunt would be a good pick as well
Old 02-23-2007, 04:04 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

I think we'd be ok with Goings, Shelton, Williams as long as we could get the passing offense clicking how it needs to be.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goings Shelton Williams + a flyer on someone like Nate Ilaoa who can maybe try out kick returns too in the 6/7th/UDFA is how I'd handle it but I'd say its highly likely Foster will be back next season

Also wouldnt be surprised if Shelton is gone and we bring in a real power guy like Hunt or Dwayne Wright. I like Wright (and Hunt) for that matter, so wouldnt be too disappointed if this happened
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 PM    (permalink

Honestly I think that Reggie Nelson is overrated and his fundamentals are poor he is a flashy tackler but he missed some very easy tackles this year at UF which were overshadowed by his huge hits. If the Panthers want a safety they should take someone solid like the guy from UT or Landry. Personally the biggest need is the Panthers are one tackle short from having a good o-line. If we can get a good enough or servicable LT we can put Gross at his more natural RT position and put Wharton as a G. As far as center, Hartenger was not very good but apparently the coaches are high on Montgomery anchoring the O-line at C if Hartwig can not recover. As far as offense, I think that Fox is against drafting QBs and he likes to pick up solid vets in FA. Every time the Panthers are projected to pick a TE they dont so I doubt they will pick one in the draft esp day one, but with the new OC's history of being a TE guru this would be the year. Lastly i think the greatest need on the Panthers is a solid return man because an extra 15 20 yards every drive would really make it easier on Jake and let us settle down more. It is clear that when the Panthers are backed up in their endzone they do not preform well on offense.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't mind a franchise left tackle that could add some much-needed stability to our offensive line, but I don't know if I would want to push Jeremy Bridges to the bench. When he was added to the lineup last year, he added some stability to the lineup and the offensive line performed the best they had all year. I wouldn't be shocked if we entered next year with the same offensive line, except that we may add some experienced depth through free agency.

If Houston will take a third-round draft pick for David Carr, I would look to make that deal. Give him the preseason to see if a new environment helps him, sit him behind Jake Delhomme for one season, then let Carr take over for the foreseeable future.

At tight end, Greg Olsen could be dynamic but I don't think we'll have a shot at him. #14 would be too high and he'll be picked before our second-round pick.

As for special teams, Josh Wilson out of Maryland would be a solid third or fourth-round pick. Adds depth at cornerback, which we need, and is an explosive kick and punt returner.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:42 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;159591
Honestly I think that Reggie Nelson is overrated and his fundamentals are poor he is a flashy tackler but he missed some very easy tackles this year at UF which were overshadowed by his huge hits. If the Panthers want a safety they should take someone solid like the guy from UT or Landry. Personally the biggest need is the Panthers are one tackle short from having a good o-line. If we can get a good enough or servicable LT we can put Gross at his more natural RT position and put Wharton as a G. As far as center, Hartenger was not very good but apparently the coaches are high on Montgomery anchoring the O-line at C if Hartwig can not recover. As far as offense, I think that Fox is against drafting QBs and he likes to pick up solid vets in FA. Every time the Panthers are projected to pick a TE they dont so I doubt they will pick one in the draft esp day one, but with the new OC's history of being a TE guru this would be the year. Lastly i think the greatest need on the Panthers is a solid return man because an extra 15 20 yards every drive would really make it easier on Jake and let us settle down more. It is clear that when the Panthers are backed up in their endzone they do not preform well on offense.

To be honest I don't like Nelson in recovery.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 PM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Delhomme, Rucker, and Morgan restructured. Karl Hankton released.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Any word on how much cap space was made available? As for Hankton, it's about darn time.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
BehrenMan007
Pro Bowler

BehrenMan007 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

would it be understandable if carolina took greg olsen in the 1st rd?

credit to cardsalltheway
BehrenMan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:14 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Unless we address linebacker and safety in free agency, I think those two needs should be addressed before we draft a tight end. I still think we'll make a run at Daniel Graham in free agency.