Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

FirstAndGoal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Who does everyone think will be our starters next year? Here's my guess:

WR - Steve Smith
LT - Travelle Wharton
LG - Mike Wahle
C - Ryan Kalil
RG - Justin Hartwig
RT - Jordan Gross
TE - Jeff King
WR - Dwayne Jarrett
QB - Jake Delhomme
FB - Brad Hoover
RB - DeAngelo Williams

DE - Julius Peppers
DT - Kris Jenkins
DT - Maake Kemoeatu
DE - Mike Rucker
SLB - Thomas Davis
MLB - Dan Morgan
WLB - Jon Beason
CB - Ken Lucas
CB - Richard Marshall
SS - Nate Salley
FS - Mike Minter

PK - John Kasay
P - Jason Baker
KO - John Kasay
H - Jason Baker
PR - Ryne Robinson
KOR - Ryne Robinson
PC - Jason Kyle
KC - Jason Kyle
It depends on whether you mean first game of the year, or end of the year. I dont think DeAngelo will enter as the starter (though he shoud), but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended as the starter. Same with Jeff King and Ryan Kalil. Dwayne Jarrett will almost certainly start most games this season barring injury, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fox went with someone who knows the playbook better for the first game. And Morgan, if he gets through training camp and the preseason, will start the first game but probably will be injured pretty quickly. In that case, Beason will probably move over to the middle and Diggs or Anderson will play the weak side.

I think the most interesting battle will be at running back and the inside of the O line. With the O line, there are so many combinations that can be used that no one really knows now what it will be like by mid-season. At running back, it's a clear cut battle between Foster and DeAngelo. I believe Foster will start b/c he's been here longer, but the batlle will be interesting if DeAngelo plays better at the beginning of the season. Whoever doesn't start will still get a lot of touches, though. I like DeAngelo for a number of reasons. 1, we have a first round pick invested in him. 2, he doesn't have a history of injuries, although I wouldn't call Foster injury-prone. 3, DeAngelo is better at catching the ball out of the backfield and I believe will be a real threat on screen plays (which we plan to run more this season) due to his kick return experience. 4, he doesn't fumble as much (1 per 154 touches compared to 1 per 64 touches for foster). In the end, though, it will come down to who learns and fits the new ZBS the best.

Sig by DLS42
FirstAndGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

Panthers sign Smitty to a new deal through 2012

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2863667

Sig by DLS42
Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think seniority left with Dan Henning. I think Jeff Davidson will put more focus on talent than who has been with the team longer. A good example of this is in the interview I posted earlier where he said he "hoped" Justin Hartwig would be one of the top five offensive linemen. If Henning were still here, Kalil would already have a spot on the bench without any questions asked.

If they really want to push this "youth movement", DeAngelo Williams and Jeff King need to be the starters from week one.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

Quote:
I think seniority left with Dan Henning. I think Jeff Davidson will put more focus on talent than who has been with the team longer. A good example of this is in the interview I posted earlier where he said he "hoped" Justin Hartwig would be one of the top five offensive linemen. If Henning were still here, Kalil would already have a spot on the bench without any questions asked.

If they really want to push this "youth movement", DeAngelo Williams and Jeff King need to be the starters from week one.
I agree with everything you said, although, despite not knowing Davidson's philosophy, I doubt things will change dramatically. Fox makes all the final decisions and he is still here. But if I were the coach, I would definately start DeAngelo, Kalil, Jarrett, and King unless they play poorly or dont learn the new playbook in training camp. I am just skeptical until I see it actually happen.

Sig by DLS42
Old 05-09-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Heard last night on NFL Network that Jordan Gross and Julius Peppers could both be re-signed to long-term deals like Steve Smith soon. Apparently, re-signing those three has become the top priority of the Panthers' front office so I would expect deals to be done by training camp at the latest.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
ericcartman

Quote:
Heard last night on NFL Network that Jordan Gross and Julius Peppers could both be re-signed to long-term deals like Steve Smith soon. Apparently, re-signing those three has become the top priority of the Panthers' front office so I would expect deals to be done by training camp at the latest.
If that is true, I see some cuts/trades waiting to happen on the O-line.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, I heard that Mike Whale was on a radio show from another forum:

Quote:
"It sucks to line up and know the play is gonna fail, cuz there will be an un-blocked tackle in the hole."

He also said something to the effect of: there was no changing the plays... or directions of runs... and or adjustments to blitzs or protections.
Ha, its like I have been saying that for a year.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Sounds like Jeff Davidson has brought alot for the offense to be excited about. Aside from DeShaun Foster, who didn't comment, every player that has made a comment about the new offense has been positive. Any offense that has DeAngelo Williams' and Steve Smith's support is an offense I want to see on the field.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Mike Seidman signed with the Indianapolis Colts. That leaves us with Chad Upshaw, Dante Rosario, Jeff King, and Michael Gaines at tight end. Looks more and more like Jeff King will be the guy.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seidman will be lucky to make the roster for the Colts. They're pretty deep at TE.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Davidson has any common sense the depth chart will be Jeff King, Dante Rosario, Brad Hoover, Nick Goings, Ryan Kalil, line up Jeremy Bridges as a 6th OL, Michael Gaines
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:18 AM    (permalink
Fosfolipido

Justin Hartwig like RG?

Hargantner (the another C last season), play the last games of the season 06, do you think that Hargantner continue like C and Kalil or Hartwig like RG?

My english sucks xD
Old 05-16-2007, 08:03 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LT- Wharton (though I think he's gone after this year and we'll either draft a LT in the first or hope that Butler has developed)
LG- Wahle
C- Kalil
RG- Hartwig (though I wouldn't be surprised if Bridges or Hangartner were to beat him out)
RT- Gross
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Check this out: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...?t=9386&page=6
Hammer dropped

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Shesh, that guy has been saying that for 2 years now. At some point, maybe he'll convince himself it's true because no one else is buying it.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

what's funny is that he doesn't stop. while everyone else backed you up, blindsite, he continued to rant about osi and the game film he watched.

Sig by DLS42
Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

I thought I had shut that guy up last year when I posted each player's career statistics and Julius Peppers had the advantage in every one.

Anyway, Umenyiora can pile up as many sacks as he wants. Until their quarterback grows some testicles, the Giants won't be taken seriously.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
LT- Wharton (though I think he's gone after this year and we'll either draft a LT in the first or hope that Butler has developed)
LG- Wahle
C- Kalil
RG- Hartwig (though I wouldn't be surprised if Bridges or Hangartner were to beat him out)
RT- Gross
That sounds about right. Rashad Butler has worked with the first-team offensive line at left tackle in mini-camp with Wharton still injured, so atleast they have an opportunity to get a good look at him. Early talk has been positive about his physical development.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Yea, I like what I've read about his progression. Will be interesting to see him in games this year as at least a sub.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Bama37228
Rookie

Bama37228 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/ind...owtopic=172017
Bama37228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

LMFAO

Sorry Blindsite, but that's classic. I use to lerk on their boards sometimes and I remember that.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Bama37228
Rookie

Quote:
LMFAO

Sorry Blindsite, but that's classic. I use to lerk on their boards sometimes and I remember that.
haha i know...bes thing EVER

Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

uh oh, he's got one picture that will counter every a report.

I would like to quote him, "bes thing EVER"
Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

You might should have read the thread he linked to before commenting.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Bama37228
Rookie

Quote:
You might should have read the thread he linked to before commenting.
People like making posts without knowing what they're talking about on the internet.