Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McDermott mentions a possible usage of a 3-4 defense and Panther nation erupts. How many times have we had this discussion about the 3-4? The switch would take forever to make and we have no personel for it. We have one linebacker above 240, no NT and it would waste our defensive ends.

I prefer the 3-4 defense to the 4-3, but this move should have been made before the season and prior to the draft even. I don't really think this is more than them searching for something to work, I don't see a permanent change.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:30 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to mention the DT's we drafted last year in the 3rd round aren't big enough to be NT's and don't have the skillset to translate to DE's in a 3-4.

McDermott is an idiot!
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF View Post
Not to mention the DT's we drafted last year in the 3rd round aren't big enough to be NT's and don't have the skillset to translate to DE's in a 3-4.

McDermott is an idiot!
Yea, well the fanbase took it as "holy **** we are making the switch" when it was really meant to mean they are running personel packages with three down lineman, CJ and Applewhite coming off the edge.

Applewhite was a quiet acquisition but I liked what I saw of him. I keep blaming our defensive tackles for the running problems but if I had to split the blame I'd give more to the linebackers. More rotation for the defensive tackles would be amazing in terms of keeping them fresh, things go to hell in the fourth for a reason.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh I agree about the actual intent of what he said. I just cringe at the mention of 3-4 because the Panthers board I post on we have this discussion five to six times every year because people just don't understand 1- the scheme itself, and 2- that we don't have the personnel to run it.

Also, I'm not a fan of McDermott. I thought he did a poor job in Philly as DC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated with the 3-4 (always have been). I just think if you thought there was any chance about making the switch permanent (which I don't think was what McDermott meant) you should have handled this entire past off-season (draft & free agency) totally different.

Also, our position coaches don't have experience coaching in a 3-4 scheme. That seems like an issue to me as well.

Like I said though, I think you're right. Most of our fanbase took this comment out of context.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Anyone else think that was Cam's best game? He didn't even break 300 yards but he completed near 80% and averaged 14 yards doing it. **** is unreal, that's a great game for anyone.

He even wowed the Redskins, DeAngelo Hall compared him to a "pretty ferrari" and Laron Landry added: "They control their own destiny with a guy like that. He's a great quarterback. He's phenomenal. You just have to keep building around him."

Hopefully he brings that type of game against the Vikings. Peterson is going to tear the defense a new one.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, definitely Cams best. dont think anyone forsaw him completing nearly 80% of his passes coming out, specially his rookie year and especially not against a defense as good as the skins.

I think even if we did have a good defensive line we would still allow Peterson to run wild since thats just what he does, but yeah its gonna be especially bad i think. hopefully Ponder has trouble against our secondary and turns it over a bunch, otherwise we might be in for a high scoring game.
dj825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

If the Vikings have a brain they'll line Jared Allen up against Byron Bell every play and let him go to town...hopefully they don't have a brain.

Anyone else hoping for Justin Blackmon in the draft? Other than really not wanting to be picking have enough to get him.

Last edited by JPF : 10-25-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If the Vikings have a brain they'll line Jared Allen up against Byron Bell every play and let him go to town...hopefully they don't have a brain.

Anyone else hoping for Justin Blackmon in the draft? Other than really not wanting to be picking have enough to get him.
Yeah. I want to see what Hogan does and if he shows potential I think receiver or linebacker is the pick to make. It would be a bit strange that our defensive head coach goes offense in his first two picks though but Cam is clearly what is pulling this team. I just don't think Davis can be relied on anymore, it's sad but true.

If we picked Blackmon and Gettis gets back on track our receivers could be great. I've actually come around to Naane a little bit more but I'd rather him be a three or four receiver.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Part of Cam's first run that you probably didn't see:

Those types of plays obviously didn't happen last year and neither did blocks like that.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Part of Cam's first run that you probably didn't see:

Those types of plays obviously didn't happen last year and neither did blocks like that.
is that LaFell? nice to see a receiver laying down a hit like that. reminds me of Moose. cant tell which number it is
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj825 View Post
is that LaFell? nice to see a receiver laying down a hit like that. reminds me of Moose. cant tell which number it is
Yup, that's him layin' out fellow LSU alumni Laron Landry. I think Landry would've had a great shot at Newton without that block. I remembered seeing that block during the game but forgot about it.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Yeah. I want to see what Hogan does and if he shows potential I think receiver or linebacker is the pick to make. It would be a bit strange that our defensive head coach goes offense in his first two picks though but Cam is clearly what is pulling this team. I just don't think Davis can be relied on anymore, it's sad but true.

If we picked Blackmon and Gettis gets back on track our receivers could be great. I've actually come around to Naane a little bit more but I'd rather him be a three or four receiver.
Agree on Davis. I didn't understand them giving him a new contract before they had to.

I wouldn't mind an LB. A trio of Beason, Anderson, and Burflict would be damn nice.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Agree on Davis. I didn't understand them giving him a new contract before they had to.

I wouldn't mind an LB. A trio of Beason, Anderson, and Burflict would be damn nice.
I watched some videos of Burfict and he definitely wows you with his tackles. But I'm not sure what to think of him since I've never seen him actually play. My initial reaction is that he probably isn't that good in coverage and bites hard on fakes. I couldn't see him doing anything effectively other than blitzing in a 3-4. Seems like a Ray Lewis without the field intelligence.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

yeah i think Davis needs to just retire. i hate saying that cuz hes one of my favorite players but for his own sake he needs to.

our WRs have kinda impressed me lately, and i no longer feel thats the biggest need, instead i think DT is. Dontari Poe is huge and could go early enough for us to pick him. he would seemingly help out against the run a lot which would be nice.

i dont think LB is a huge need but i wouldnt mind seeing us take one. i think Connor has done well as the Mike but idk what hed do outside and honestly dont expect a lot from him at that spot. we could technically move Beason outside but id much rather keep him in the middle and draft someone outside.

Last edited by dj825 : 10-27-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yeah i think Davis needs to just retire. i hate saying that cuz hes one of my favorite players but for his own sake he needs to.

our WRs have kinda impressed me lately, and i no longer feel thats the biggest need, instead i think DT is. Dontari Poe is huge and could go early enough for us to pick him. he would seemingly help out against the run a lot which would be nice.

i dont think LB is a huge need but i wouldnt mind seeing us take one. i think Connor has done well as the Mike but idk what hed do outside and honestly dont expect a lot from him at that spot. we could technically move Beason outside but id much rather keep him in the middle and draft someone outside.
We have nice backups, but that's what they are, they aren't starters. One major reason why we can't stop the run is our linebackers don't get to the corner fast enough. Teams love the stretch play. I think the only linebacker that is worth starting is Anderson. He's a good player but he isn't meant to be our best linebacker.

The defensive tackle position is so weak in the draft and I think it could be a bit of an overreaction to the rookie seasons of McClain and Fua. Give them the rest of the year, add some weight in the offseason and add some more talent to rotate in. I'd love a dominant defensive tackle but a great rotation is the next best thing. Remember, we lost Edwards really early too, not just Beason and Davis.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

true, i was never too high on either of the DTs though which i guess is why im so quick to say we should replace them. i completely forgot about Edwards as well, although i dont think he would really be the answer. as i said i agree on LB though, and wouldnt be overly dissapointed if we drafted one over a DT. we were pretty bad against the run even before we lost Beason and Davis so i think we do need some beef up from to help take some pressure off of them so they wont have to stop the run as much and focus more on attacking the QB or dropping in coverage or something other than being forced to clean up what the DTs are leaving behind every single play. i understand they would still have to occasionally but not every down.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

McClain is getting better IMHO, Fua to me just shouldn't be starting, he's not ready...and he wouldn't be if Edwards hadn't gotten injured as already mentioned.

I could see us going so many different ways right now in the first two rounds that I think it's easier to list what we won't draft (QB, RB, TE, K, P, S). And I'd even include DT in that, I don't think the answer to fixing our run defense is more young DT's.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

What a choke job that was. The biggest weakness of this team: not being able to put their foot on the throat of the other team.

It's been a problem all season. The offense never does anything when the defense gets a turnover or a stop.

The fumbles hurt a lot, Cam needs to figure that out, but I'm not calling them rookie mistakes. This is the way our season will go though, with a rookie QB and a defense that doesn't get turnovers.

Oh, and **** Mare, that was a gimme.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was a hell of a game guys. I thought you guys were gonna win it in regulation after the LaFell catch and run, but we were able to hold you to a field goal attempt that Mare inexplicably missed.

Good luck in the future, which looks very bright for you guys if you can add a weapon for Cam and work on the interior of your defense, which is gonna be helped immensely just by getting Davis and Beason back next year. I gotta admit, I was one of, if not, the biggest haters of Cam coming into the draft(I had him at #6 on my QB rankings behind Mallett, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, and Dalton), but he's been making me look bad.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:12 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

Yeah mare definitely needs to make that kick. at the same time though it happens to pretty much every kicker at least once in their career including Kasay. does that make it ok for him to miss a chip shot in that situation? no. but it happened and now we gotta move on.

Overall it was the turnovers that killed us, 14 of their 24 points came off of those. i dont think you can fault the defense a whole lot in those situations.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah mare definitely needs to make that kick. at the same time though it happens to pretty much every kicker at least once in their career including Kasay. does that make it ok for him to miss a chip shot in that situation? no. but it happened and now we gotta move on.

Overall it was the turnovers that killed us, 14 of their 24 points came off of those. i dont think you can fault the defense a whole lot in those situations.
I don't think the turnovers killed them as much as the three and outs in the second half. Sure they gave up points but they had chances to put the Vikings away with decent drives.

Cam says it well
Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Our defense wasn't that bad today. They actually surprised me. But it's still obvious our most glaring needs are on that side of the ball.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

6th round pick whose currently on the practice squad Lawrence Wilson was stopped for speeding and busted for possession of marijuana...
Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Shockey says he wants to stay here for a while. It's pretty cool to see a player echo some of the excitement that us fans have for this team, it lets you know that they feel it too. People talk about defenses figuring the Panthers offense out and they forget that the these guys haven't even been together that long. They can still grow together so much more.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-special-team/

I definitely want him on the team for a few more years. I think he has still got a lot barring injury. I love the attitude and toughness he has injected into this offense. I think it really helps to have the edge he and Smith have when you are a passing offense. Keeps us from becoming finess.

I never would have believed how much I like having Jeremy Shockey on the team.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:10 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Another very winnable game tomorrow, but I expect it to come down to the be the very end.

I know that Peterson and the offensive line of the Vikings were basically why we lost in the end, but the defense did a great job against him for a long time and faltered most because the offense didn't give them a breather in the second half.

Hopefully they keep it up against CJ2k, I'd be mad if he gets on track against us but I'm not even sure if we will have a starter playing at linebacker because Anderson rolled his ankle.

I hope that Hardy and Johnson get going fast against Hasselbeck. They should have plenty of motivation after Hasselbeck said he only knows their numbers.