Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously there's nothing official, but reports say that we've begin searching for our next coach. Please, please, please don't **** this up.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, Cam Newton is the biggest problem on this team. He's holding us back. They've built an incredibly talented offense around him. Used all those draft pics on stud offensive lineman and a big receiver to match his skill set. let's bench him.

Seriously though, at least we can smash terrible teams?

I'm loving Ginn, especially considering how great Tavon Austin has been..

Best blocking from our WRs in years:

That defense though...

Last edited by ShutDwn : 10-14-2013 at 10:18 AM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A little help tomorrow?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam Newton sig for anyone who wants one:

Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Cam Newton sig for anyone who wants one:

I'll take it.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ted Ginn has a good amount of the top plays this year and definitely the play of the year so far. He's still leaving some on the field but damn, he was a sensational pick up. He just works with Cam. Just like Mike Mitchell.

On defense you've got rookies like Star, Short, Klein and White making plays and at least holding their own. It says a lot when you lose your best DE and still hold a team to 6 points.

On offense, we have a scrappy offensive line that might not be great at paving the way but at least they can protect some.

The most telling statistic of Cam as a passer is the breakdown of his receivers receptions, yards and TDs.

Well, we've got a hell of a game coming up. The Saints are going to be even more fired up for this after MNF.

Cam's got to keep cool like he has been and keep us in the game till the end.

Last edited by ShutDwn : 12-03-2013 at 11:19 AM.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's nice to look at an 11-4 record and still see room for improvement.

I'll go ahead and say the Panthers' front seven on defense is the best in the NFL, and no one can convince me otherwise. That secondary, however, might as well not even be on the field. I'd like to see an overhaul back there in the offseason, both through the draft and free agency.

On the offensive side, I still wouldn't mind a change at OC. I look at the names on offense (Newton, Williams, Stewart, Tolbert, Olsen, Smith, LaFell and Ginn) and there isn't any reason this team shouldn't be just as dynamic as a team like the Eagles. The team currently sits at 19th in terms of points-scored, nestled between the Titans and the Rams. I think they can do MUCH better than that.

In looking towards the draft, is this finally the year the Panthers grab that first-round WR people have projected they would draft since Muhammad left the first time?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
It's nice to look at an 11-4 record and still see room for improvement.

I'll go ahead and say the Panthers' front seven on defense is the best in the NFL, and no one can convince me otherwise. That secondary, however, might as well not even be on the field. I'd like to see an overhaul back there in the offseason, both through the draft and free agency.

On the offensive side, I still wouldn't mind a change at OC. I look at the names on offense (Newton, Williams, Stewart, Tolbert, Olsen, Smith, LaFell and Ginn) and there isn't any reason this team shouldn't be just as dynamic as a team like the Eagles. The team currently sits at 19th in terms of points-scored, nestled between the Titans and the Rams. I think they can do MUCH better than that.

In looking towards the draft, is this finally the year the Panthers grab that first-round WR people have projected they would draft since Muhammad left the first time?
While I do agree that the offense could improve, I do think Shula's done a good job at understanding the offense's role within our team; keep the ball safe and the clock moving, and let our defense do its job. While it wouldn't hurt, we really don't need to be a high-flying offense with the defense that we have.

Regarding our draft pick, I do think this is the year. I think we are finally seeing age catching up to Smitty, and while I like LaFell as a number two, he can't be the long-term option as our primary receiver. The dominance of the front seven helps mask deficiencies in the rear, and our patchwork line has played relatively well, plus we'll getting a couple of players there back (Silatolu, Kugbila), so receiver should be our number one need heading into the off-season.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Looking ahead to the draft, who are some of the WRs that have caught your eye?

Both Allen Robinson and Brandin Cooks have supplanted Kelvin Benjamin as my personal favorites. A lot to like about the size and catching ability of Robinson, as well as the speed and elusiveness of Cooks. I've seen Robinson compared to Boldin, and Cooks compared to our very own Smitty. Can't go wrong by adding either one, in my opinion.

A few later-round prospects that got my attention are Donte Moncrief, Josh Huff, Robert Herron, Jalen Saunders, Josh Stewart and Tevin Reese. Moncrief may be my favorite of this pack, due to the size and speed combination. The rest are smaller, speed guys once again in the mold of Smith. I'll be interested to see their 40-times coming out of the Combine as I believe that will have a drastic impact on where they are expected to go.

With Gross' future a question mark and the questionable secondary being exploited in the playoffs, I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Panthers wait on WR and address OT and CB in the first round or two. I think this is a solid enough class that if one of the top OTs or CBs drops, you can afford to nab him and pick up a quality WR in the second.

Either way, I'm as pumped for this offseason as I have ever been. Really looking forward to what Gettleman does to shape this roster. Both in free agency and definitely through the draft. Should be a fun couple of months.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Definitely a great year regardless of going one and done in the playoffs.

The offensive line and secondary need major improvements and we won't go any further without them.

I don't know much about the prospects this year, other than Sammy Watkins has insane acceleration and won't come to us.

I'd really like to address OL and WR and CB in the first few rounds. Possibly TE, though I know BPA is the best route.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Location: TJ Warren is a better and more productive player than Jabari Parker
SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Took Cooks at 28 in a fan mock. Also considered Verrett, Kareem Martin (trying to hock Hardy off for more picks) and Odell Beckham. Benjamin was gone before my pick but I don't have any interest in him. His only skill is being tall.

I like Cooks a lot...he's not Smith, nobody is, but he is an extremely dynamic player that can actually play WR, unlike many of the smallish "weapons" of late (Tavon, DeAnthony Thomas, etc). However, I don't think this is ultimately the path Gettleman will go as the WR position is very deep into rounds 2 and 3.

We need 2 new OTs with Gross gone but I don't like anyone who is going to be available barring a massive fall. Would rather see who is there in R2 and 3.

I don't actually want to trade Hardy but I don't see much choice at this point. Hurney's contracts are coming back to haunt us and if we don't bite the bullet here, it means we'll be cutting Smith or have to start getting creative with Cam and Luke...no thanks. I actually think we have some good depth at the second DE spot with Mario Addison and Wes Horton. I have more confidence in Rivera getting something out of those guys on D than us getting Marvin McNutt and Tavarres King to play well on offense.

Best thing we could do this offseason is fire Shula. He's awful. If we go into next season with him as our OC I'm already writing off the season. Can't see this team making it back to the playoffs with the 1st place schedule if we're purposely handicapping our offense.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much does Steve smith have left in the tank? Can he be a number 3 slot WR or a full time #2
Old 03-15-2014, 05:23 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

He certainly has enough left in the tank to be a solid #2 or #3 option, at least for this year. By year three, that may be a question mark. He really came on towards the end of the year and came up big in critical situations in close games. He'll drop an easy one every once in a while, and the burst to make the big play isn't there anymore. For the role he signed to play in Baltimore, you guys should be satisfied.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Happy with the Roman Harper signing. Solid, veteran presence who is familiar with the division and should be able to adapt quickly. That front seven won't make it too hard on him anyway.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Duke
Rookie

Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how does the carolina fans perceive their lack of moves and maybe there draft strategies? I can't remember the last time I have seen a team let go there top 4 wrs and lose value at other positions and not really make one fa signing to booster their depleted position. Your coach is definitely considered one of the better around the league. I'm just dumbfounded. Maybe their faith in this wr class is high but how many can they fill these holes with. It takes about two to three years to become a productive nfl receiver so wtf is going on in Carolina!! someone help me understand?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you guys are definitely trading up for Evans or Watkins now, right? Smith, LaFell and Ginn Jr all gone in one offseason leaves Cam with no weapons

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

A trade up for Watkins would be great, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. If there was ever a year to need WRs at the draft, this is the year as they could still find solid contributors as late as the fourth or fifth round. I think Gettleman takes a shot at signing Jones and Cotchery, then looks to add two or three through the draft.

Last year, he didn't sign a single free agent until the second week of free agency and that group turned out to be a pretty solid addition to the team. I'm not as worried as some Panthers' fans may be. After the draft, could be a different story, but I'm satisfied to wait and see at this point. The turn around Gettleman was able to orchestrate last offseason has earned him the benefit of the doubt this offseason.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
how does the carolina fans perceive their lack of moves and maybe there draft strategies? I can't remember the last time I have seen a team let go there top 4 wrs and lose value at other positions and not really make one fa signing to booster their depleted position. Your coach is definitely considered one of the better around the league. I'm just dumbfounded. Maybe their faith in this wr class is high but how many can they fill these holes with. It takes about two to three years to become a productive nfl receiver so wtf is going on in Carolina!! someone help me understand?
Most are in panic mode, but while I am worried, I still think there's a chance for a decent offseason. The fact is while Smith can play, he's not the player he used to be. LaFell is decent, but that's it. Ginn was a nice deep threat and may actually be the most difficult to replace. If we go out and sign players like James Jones and Jerrico Cotchery and draft a couple of receivers, out corps won't be great, but it won't be worse either.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Duke
Rookie

Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Duke is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Most are in panic mode, but while I am worried, I still think there's a chance for a decent offseason. The fact is while Smith can play, he's not the player he used to be. LaFell is decent, but that's it. Ginn was a nice deep threat and may actually be the most difficult to replace. If we go out and sign players like James Jones and Jerrico Cotchery and draft a couple of receivers, out corps won't be great, but it won't be worse either.
I'm a newton fan and also football analysis. It's has been interesting to see the lack of moves and the amount of loss at that wr position I agree but Jones and Cotchery might be a short bandaid they are no more than situational wrs they will not command double coverage or beat many corners in man coverage. I hope they really can draft some quality guys or move up and get the likes of Evans or even something crazy like Watkins but I'm getting tired of waiting
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Location: TJ Warren is a better and more productive player than Jabari Parker
SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We cant trade up like the Falcons did for Julio Jones because we have too many holes
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

As expected, Gettleman has slowly started to make some very solid moves. Cotchery, Underwood and Cason effectively replace LaFell, Ginn and Munnerlyn. He's also allowed himself a little more freedom at the draft, as WR isn't as much of a first-round need if a top OT or CB falls.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5 : 03-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.
JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote