Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 AM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So the team needs section has been updated, and yet again TE is still #2 for the Panthers. :roll:

I admit we need something better than what we have, but at some point Scott has to give up this "they haven't had a passcatcher since Walls". Well duh! Cause the scheme doesn't use TE's as passcatchers.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 AM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

[quote="JPFI believe you mean that the remaining amount is accelerated against the next years cap.
It's prorated out over the total years of the contract unless it's accelerated due to the player being released/traded. Seems like you just used the wrong term.[/quote]

You're right, I was thinking about the bonus being prorated throughout the life of the contract and I had that term stuck in my head.

As far as Leak goes.....I'm a huge Leak supporter. I have been ever since I saw him play in HS. The thing with Chris and this was evident last night is that he lack of height is going to hinder him. He was almost forced to throw a jump pass several times in order to get it over the line. He also has average arm strength. On several of the out routes, the ball seemed to float and he's lucky it wasn't picked. I'm not knocking his game, he led that team to the National Championship but I just don't see it translating well into the pros. Another thing with Chris, and this goes back to his HS days, is that when you put pressure in his face, he struggles. I was confused as to why OSU kept rushing just 8. When he can stand back there, he will pick you apart. Send a lot of pressure and (this has a lot to do with MAYBE being 6') he can't see his receivers and he can't move up in the pocket because he can't see over the line. Chris was a great HS and college QB but I don't see him doing well in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong though.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
FirstAndGoal
Rookie

FirstAndGoal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF
So the team needs section has been updated, and yet again TE is still #2 for the Panthers. :roll:

I admit we need something better than what we have, but at some point Scott has to give up this "they haven't had a passcatcher since Walls". Well duh! Cause the scheme doesn't use TE's as passcatchers.
I think it is some of both. We don't need our TE to catch passes in the system we have, but it would be a nice option if we had a good TE reciever. The Panthers have not seemed desperate to get a recieving TE in the offseason, but we have looked at a couple guys like Freddie Jones in free agency and we have drafted TEs in the later rounds. The team seems to view it as a luxury, not a need.

But one person I would look at is new englad's daniel graham. NE has their tight end of the future in ben watson and probably won't spend the money to keep graham. he certainly wont be a star TE, but certainly an upgrade from who we have now.

Sig by DLS42
FirstAndGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAndGoal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF

I think it is some of both. We don't need our TE to catch passes in the system we have, but it would be a nice option if we had a good TE reciever. The Panthers have not seemed desperate to get a recieving TE in the offseason, but we have looked at a couple guys like Freddie Jones in free agency and we have drafted TEs in the later rounds. The team seems to view it as a luxury, not a need.

But one person I would look at is new englad's daniel graham. NE has their tight end of the future in ben watson and probably won't spend the money to keep graham. he certainly wont be a star TE, but certainly an upgrade from who we have now.

We did have Wiggins, and he caught how many passes?

Wiggins could be a FA this year though.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
pantherzfan28

i think carolina needs to find a good qb some time because this basanez guy im not sure if he is good enough we dont need another delhomme we need a solid good quarterback as for those that say chris leak and or troy smith is to short look at the sucesses drew brees is having he is the same height as leak
Old 01-09-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherzfan28
i think carolina needs to find a good qb some time because this basanez guy im not sure if he is good enough we dont need another delhomme we need a solid good quarterback as for those that say chris leak and or troy smith is to short look at the sucesses drew brees is having he is the same height as leak
Leak isn't going to be a good NFL QB, he doesn't have a strong enough arm and he can't read defenses.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JPF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAndGoal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF

It's more the system than anything. We keep our TE's in to block on about 70% of passing plays.

We signed Freddie Jones, he retired not long after being signed. Fox said in the press conference announcing we'd signed him that he'd have to pick up his blocking if he wanted playing time.

We had Jermaine Wiggins and anyone hardly knew he was here until he had ONE big play in a playoff game.

The late round guys we've taken, well, that's where teams usually take blocking TE's. Which, there's nothing to say that the guys we've taken under Fox are anything more than that.

As for Daniel Graham, he's a name I keep looking at hoping we'll go after, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still say Kolb in the third should be our target.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 AM    (permalink
d-dave

How can you guys count out Basanez? The Baz-Man?!

I kid, I kid. Though I do think he could be developed into a quality QB.

I do like a lot about many of the young QB prospects comming out. I don't think Leak has it, but he could turn out to be pretty good because he's a smart cookie.

I watched most of Kolb's bowl game, and he reminded me of a younger, more accurate Jake, which I could really go for. At the same time, the Panthers have a lot of holes unless we get some picks via trade or RFAs, we need to address other areas than QB right now.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:35 AM    (permalink
BIG Country
Rookie

BIG Country hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Drew Brees is 6'. Chris Leak is 5'10-5'11 at the most, same with Troy Smith. Brees also has a stronger arm than Leak and is more mobile.
Safety should be the #1 priority for Carolina. There are only 3 safeties on the roster, Minter, Deke Cooper and Salley!! TE has now become an option with new OC Jeff Davidson (Charlie Weis disciple). MLB not OLB is an area that needs to be addressed. DE depth is a need. No need anywhere for a DT. Injured LT and C coming back and the OL is switching to the ZBS (no cut-blocking though).
KR/PR MUST be addressed somewhere.
BIG Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
jbombul
Rookie

jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i just did a mock draft and i had you guys trade down with the giants and pick up a 3rd rounder and a 4th next year. I had you pick Poz at 20 to play middle linebacker and in the second round i had you guys take troy smith.... any thoughts?
jbombul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbombul
i just did a mock draft and i had you guys trade down with the giants and pick up a 3rd rounder and a 4th next year. I had you pick Poz at 20 to play middle linebacker and in the second round i had you guys take troy smith.... any thoughts?
Third and fourth rounders next year don't help us. Poz is over rated, we need a playmaker at S more than anything. Draft is fine if we have to go to him. We can draft a guy in the second or third. David Harris is a great run stuffer.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The only linebacker I would want in the first round would be Patrick Willis. He seems to fit the same type of mold as a Dan Morgan. He is all over the field and involved in every tackle.
JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

So, a WR I really like in the later rounds is Andre Caldwell. I think if we could get a new system in here he would be perfect in an offense that spreads it out and lets the WRs run.

We have the perfect backs for a spread offense.

If we do get a new coordinator, which is unlikely, we will need another young WR to come in and help cause Keyshawn will be gone too.

Colbert would do well in that offense too.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
pantherzfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Country
Quote:
Drew Brees is 6'. Chris Leak is 5'10-5'11 at the most, same with Troy Smith. Brees also has a stronger arm than Leak and is more mobile.
espn.com says they all are 6' if leak isnt good enough what about troy smith we cant wait much longer to get a solid qb who knows how long delhomme will be there
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
pantherzfan28

i also wouldnt mind brian brohm
Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Country
Quote:
espn.com says they all are 6' if leak isnt good enough what about troy smith we cant wait much longer to get a solid qb who knows how long delhomme will be there
College's tend to lie about those things. You can bet that those are one or two inches off. Smith played in a pro style offense, and has a much better arm, so he has a better chance to do anything
Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JustJoe2k5 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Of Chris Leak and Troy Smith, I believe Smith has the better chance to become a player at the NFL level. While I was disappointed in his performance in the Championship Game, Smith would be one of the last people to blame for the loss. Is he the player for the Panthers? I don't know. The more I read and hear about Trent Edwards out of Stanford, the more I think he would be a great option in the third or fourth round. Personally, I wouldn't use our first-day draft picks on a quarterback who will ride the bench for most of next season. As deep as this draft is at linebacker, we could draft a safety in the first round and a linebacker in the second round and both could start as early as the first game of the season.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Just heard on the radio that we signed WR Chris Horn to a two-year contract. I wonder if this is our answer to our trouble on special teams?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

I don't know that I'd read too much into it.

Chris Horn has a total of 7 kick returns for 75 yards, and 17 special teams tackles in his career.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:07 AM    (permalink
4pAc
Pro Bowler

4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4pAc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so what would be better for the panthers, a S or MLB in the 1st? Which players should be put on the trade block, and which players should the panthers trade for?

Sig by Darnik44two

Lord Favre Is Immortal
4pAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
JustJoe2k5
Pro Bowler

Safety would probably be the #1 priority. We mainly need insurance at middle linebacker, whereas at safety Shaun Williams probably won't be back next season and we'll need a starter. Middle linebacker and quarterback could be addressed in the second or third round.

As far as players on the trade block, atleast for the fantasy mock draft:

DeShaun Foster
Keary Colbert
Mike Rucker
Chris Gamble (It IS fantasy. :))
Shaun Williams (If you can get a ham sandwich for him, consider it a steal.)

Not really sure who you should look to acquire. If someone offers a talented defensive end, that would be considered due to the age of both Al Wallace and Mike Rucker. Perhaps a talented #4 wide receiver, either someone who could be a red-zone target or someone who has great speed. An all-around tight end, we don't need a playmaker just someone who can make the catches when needed, Daniel Graham of the Patriots is a perfect example of the type of tight end that would work in Carolina. Depth at cornerback should also be addressed, our talent is only two and a half-deep and we need atleast two more talented players for insurance in case injuries strike again.

I also would look at the possibility of a trade down if one of the top safeties or linebackers aren't available at our pick.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

We can't trade Foster, cap hit would be too big.

If we get a new coordinator I think that Colbert should stay. He has the skill set and I think we would regret losing him just because Jake can't work past his 2nd option.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
JPF
Veteran

Colberts problem is he can't get off a jam to save his life.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF
Colberts problem is he can't get off a jam to save his life.
Nah, put him with the Patriots and he would be in the top 3 receptions.

He should be running short intermediate crosses, drags and slants. Not post patterns and curls. He doesn't have the speed to threaten deep thus making it pointless to make him run that.

He is good after the catch, so get it to him early.