Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Worst case scenario, we pass on both QB's and they both turnout to be great franchise QB's.
Best case scenario, whoever, we pick will be an impact player, at #3 we are going to get something special because there are about 12 special players in this draft.
I clearly think at this point we are getting an impact player at 3, I like what I have heard Nix and Co. saying up to this point, and do not see a Maybin type pick at all. I have had Newton as our guy in my mocks, and think right now he's going #1. Who would you rather have Dareus or Peterson? Who are your "special" 12??
Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bowers DE
Quinn DE
Dareus DT
Peterson CB
Gabbert QB
Newton QB
Fairley DT
Green WR
Von Miller OLB
Tyron Smith LT
Aldon Smith OLB/DE
Julio Jones WR
I'll even throw in a riser at #13 J.J. Watt DE

The 1st 12 have impact player written all over them, the QB's carry the most risk but the rewards are even higher if your right.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 AM    (permalink
OTcoach
Rookie

OTcoach hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Safest pick

Okay so a month or so ago I was hoping Locker would be our guy...too many questions though.

So......Dareus should be gone. I agree with Mayock that he won't get past Denver.

Bowers - bad knee, not worth risking #3 on.

Fairley - Warren Sapp? or Ryan Sims? Not worth the risk.

Peterson - another CB with return potential. Supposedly we already have a roster full of those guys.

The QB from Missouri? who?

Cam Newton? There is no tape of him beating a team with his arm....and he's Locker fast. Not Vick. NFL DE's and LB's are going to eat him alive on the ground.

Safest/best pick = JJ Watt

Size, speed, production, and work ethic. He can be trusted, you can pay him. He'll want to play in Buffalo for the next 10 years and lead our D.
OTcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:18 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we take JJ Watt, I will punch a puppy.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
If we take JJ Watt, I will punch a puppy.
Even this one?

I'm really hoping Dareus falls to #3.
But what are your guys' thoughts on Quinn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Even this one?

I'm really hoping Dareus falls to #3.
But what are your guys' thoughts on Quinn?
Quinn's status is still up in the air, he has a benign brain tumor which the doctors will check out in April. Bowers also will have to pass his physical in April or he will drop as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTcoach View Post
Okay so a month or so ago I was hoping Locker would be our guy...too many questions though.

So......Dareus should be gone. I agree with Mayock that he won't get past Denver.

Bowers - bad knee, not worth risking #3 on.

Fairley - Warren Sapp? or Ryan Sims? Not worth the risk.

Peterson - another CB with return potential. Supposedly we already have a roster full of those guys.

The QB from Missouri? who?

Cam Newton? There is no tape of him beating a team with his arm....and he's Locker fast. Not Vick. NFL DE's and LB's are going to eat him alive on the ground.

Safest/best pick = JJ Watt

Size, speed, production, and work ethic. He can be trusted, you can pay him. He'll want to play in Buffalo for the next 10 years and lead our D.
I hope at this point Dareus slips past Denver, I dont see it either, and hopefully Bowers checks out and Carolina falls in love with a QB... I agree with you on Fairly and he nor Bowers really fits Nix draft profile IMO.
I would not classify Peterson as just "another corner with return potential". I think he is special having watched every LSU game (maybe but one) since he arrived at LSU.
Im not sold on Gabbert either...
Newton.... Watch the Mississippi game, the SEC Championship game against S.C. and then the Alabama game, he did not win those with his feet.
I actually think Watt is a possibility, but I think they would take Peterson or Newton before Watt, even... Von Miller...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I don't want Watt, he is not a sack guy and while he will be a solid LDE and a solid run stuffer, he is never going to be an impact star at the next level. There are just too many prospects at 3 that will be impact players that I hope we get a great one. My preference is Gabbert or Newton because face it, you cannot win consistently in the current NFL without a true franchise QB and Fitzpatrick is never going to be that guy. If our GM thinks either or one has that kind of potential, and he is available when we draft, I really hope we draft him because the risk is worth the reward.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLwx9...layer_embedded

Stevie Johnson rap by YA BOY Feat CIK.MONEY
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't want Watt, he is not a sack guy and while he will be a solid LDE and a solid run stuffer, he is never going to be an impact star at the next level. There are just too many prospects at 3 that will be impact players that I hope we get a great one. My preference is Gabbert or Newton because face it, you cannot win consistently in the current NFL without a true franchise QB and Fitzpatrick is never going to be that guy. If our GM thinks either or one has that kind of potential, and he is available when we draft, I really hope we draft him because the risk is worth the reward.
I think Watt is a distant possibility, and agree that there are more impact-full players that will be available and taken. People who watch Wisconsin football swear that he is a capable pass rusher, I still need to watch more, but think he is a possibility as one of the top 5 tech/run stoppers in the draft.
I think it is very interesting that Nix has had dinner with both QB prospects the night before their pro days. If they take Newton or Gabbert in the first I will not be upset, Nix history of drafting QB's is solid, Gailey is good developing them. Unlike previous administrations were I had no faith...
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Captain Canuck
Rookie

Captain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I've been tinkering with my mock over the past couple weeks a lot, but I think I have it how I like it. Critique is greatly appreciated.

1. Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri/Cam Newton QB Auburn
2. Christian Ballard DE Iowa
3. Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU
4a. Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
4b. Rob Housler TE Florida Atlantic
5. Cortez Allen CB Citadel
6. Josh Bynes ILB Auburn
7a. Eric Hagg S Nebraska
7b. Allen Bradford RB USC

I know there is a thread for this, but it doesn't look like anyone's been in there for awhile, so I posted in here too.
Captain Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

[quote=Captain Canuck;2564343]

6. Josh Bynes ILB Auburn
7a. Eric Hagg S Nebraska
7b. Allen Bradford RB USC [quote]

I hope for Newton in the first, but if they take Gabbert so be it. I like taking Sheppard in the 3rd, but why Bynes in the 6th? Is Poz leaving in FA? Also, neither are man coverage ILB's so Bills fans who do not think Poz can cover will not like those picks... I like the Ballard, Gilbert, Housler, and Allen picks in those rounds. Hagg and Bradford in the 7th are nice pick ups. Other than the picking on 2 ILB's I can not think of any negative criques on this mock for the Bills, it addresses needs with appropriate values, adds some athleticism to the team, and all in all is a very good Bills mock IMO. Nice job.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Buffalo M
Rookie

Buffalo M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Buffalo M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If you're looking at plan 1-A at DL if Dareus is gone, then it's Cam Jordan of Cal. He's twice the player Watt is.

He can play either DE position and kick inside on 3rd down.
Buffalo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Captain Canuck
Rookie

Captain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairCaptain Canuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:

6. Josh Bynes ILB Auburn
7a. Eric Hagg S Nebraska
7b. Allen Bradford RB USC

I hope for Newton in the first, but if they take Gabbert so be it. I like taking Sheppard in the 3rd, but why Bynes in the 6th? Is Poz leaving in FA? Also, neither are man coverage ILB's so Bills fans who do not think Poz can cover will not like those picks... I like the Ballard, Gilbert, Housler, and Allen picks in those rounds. Hagg and Bradford in the 7th are nice pick ups. Other than the picking on 2 ILB's I can not think of any negative criques on this mock for the Bills, it addresses needs with appropriate values, adds some athleticism to the team, and all in all is a very good Bills mock IMO. Nice job.
Nix has said he wants to add multiple inside LB's this offseason, so I figured I'd grab a late round guy that seemed to fit a 3-4 well for depth. We need some young depth so we can move away from journymen like Ayodele and Davis. In this scenario I'd hop Poz and Sheppard would be our starting ILB's going into the season with Bynes and one of the vets backing them up.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The top two guys I want right now are Dareus and Newton, in that order.
If both are gone, then what?
  • Blaine Gabbert QB
  • AJ Green WR
  • Von Miller OLB
  • Robert Quinn OLB
  • Nick Fairley DT/DE
  • Patrick Peterson CB
They seem to be the most popular choices.

But what are your opinions on drafting Cam Jordan at 3?

Quote:
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo M View Post
If you're looking at plan 1-A at DL if Dareus is gone, then it's Cam Jordan of Cal. He's twice the player Watt is.

He can play either DE position and kick inside on 3rd down.
I dont think Watt is half the player Jordan is, they both can kick inside on 3rd down, although I do have Jordan ahead of Watt in my rankings. I would love to trade down and land either with my preference being Jordan...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
Nix has said he wants to add multiple inside LB's this offseason, so I figured I'd grab a late round guy that seemed to fit a 3-4 well for depth. We need some young depth so we can move away from journymen like Ayodele and Davis. In this scenario I'd hop Poz and Sheppard would be our starting ILB's going into the season with Bynes and one of the vets backing them up.
That makes sense. Ayodele I thought played a little better towards the end of the season, and Davis in this scenerio could be let go, his athleticism IMO was shot before he got here. In this case I approve of the mock as a whole :)
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The top two guys I want right now are Dareus and Newton, in that order.
If both are gone, then what?
  • Blaine Gabbert QB
  • AJ Green WR
  • Von Miller OLB
  • Robert Quinn OLB
  • Nick Fairley DT/DE
  • Patrick Peterson CB
They seem to be the most popular choices.

But what are your opinions on drafting Cam Jordan at 3?
If nix and gailey feel they can "fix" Gabbert's skiddishness and pocket awareness, I would trust them taking him, personally I dont, he reminds me too much of Trent Edwards with arm strength.
I feel comfortable saying you can throw Fairley and Quinn out of the equation.
Green could fit in Spiller mold from last year, but looking at the recieving core I cant see it.
The two possibilities that are the most realistic if Newton and Dareus are gone, and Gabbert is not a franchise QB, are Peterson and Miller (yeah, I know, I said it...) I have Peterson as the #1 prospect in the draft, watching LSU the last three years, the only thing that beats him past 5 yards are perfect passes.
I would love to trade down and land Cameron Jordan, love it... Which will take me into my next post. IMO 3 is too high, unless they have as a top 5 grade on him. Easier said then done trading down, but picking up a 2nd and getting Cameron Jordan would be gold IMO.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Default Trading Down.

I was under the impression the Bills would not be moving down or up from the third pick or think about taking a pass rusher early, until I read Chan Gailey say this:

“There are a couple of those guys in the draft and I think the question that you ask yourself in the draft situation when you’re sitting there is how do you weight the guys for your football team,” said Gailey. “I feel like a pass rusher, an outside backer, there are a couple of those guys that can make a difference coming off the edge. We hope we have one in the fold already in a Shawne Merriman. If we’ve got one and can get one of the other side to put some pressure on the passer that’ll help us tremendously. If we end up trading out of the number three pick, that might be something that would be a viable option for us.”

Thoughts on trading down, and/or trading down and taking a pass rusher?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Captain Canuck
Rookie

I think a situation where Dareus and the QB we want are off the board (assuming we only like one of them) happens, then we should try and trade down with a team that is interested in Peterson. We could then go after Cameron Jordon or JJ Watt, and either have ammo to trade back into the first or take the best OT and OLB available in the 2nd. Maybe something like a combination of Brooks Reed and Ben Ijalana. I'm not a huge fan of going QB outside of the first but if Gailey believes in Ponder he could also be an option there.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

that would definitely be good, but I'd rather stick with the extra 2nd that we receive...

1.) Cam Jordan - DE
2.) Christian Ponder - QB (not what I want but I think Gailey wants him bad)
2.) Brooks Reed - OLB
3.) Kelvin Sheppard - ILB
4.) Marcus Gilchrist - OT
4.) Shareece Wright - CB

thoughts?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think a situation where Dareus and the QB we want are off the board (assuming we only like one of them) happens, then we should try and trade down with a team that is interested in Peterson. We could then go after Cameron Jordon or JJ Watt, and either have ammo to trade back into the first or take the best OT and OLB available in the 2nd. Maybe something like a combination of Brooks Reed and Ben Ijalana. I'm not a huge fan of going QB outside of the first but if Gailey believes in Ponder he could also be an option there.
I think that situation is very likely, and love the idea of trading down landing Jordan or Watt and picking up an extra second to play with... I think Ponder is a huge target to move up or grab in the second right now, although I am still not that high on him myself...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
that would definitely be good, but I'd rather stick with the extra 2nd that we receive...

1.) Cam Jordan - DE
2.) Christian Ponder - QB (not what I want but I think Gailey wants him bad)
2.) Brooks Reed - OLB
3.) Kelvin Sheppard - ILB
4.) Marcus Gilchrist - OT
4.) Shareece Wright - CB

thoughts?
This would work for me, although I think Reed and most of the top flight pass rushers will be gone at that point, I like landing Sheppard in the 3rd. I love the options to move up or stay put with the extra second that moving down from 3 would open up. Love it!!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The trouble with trading down is that your chances of getting a real impact player diminishes. Watt and Jordan are fine prospects but neither is going to be a star in a 3-4 defense, solid starters, yes, but not impact players and that isn't a recipe for building a contender.
You draft in the top 5 to get the type of impact players who are so dominating that they make everybody around them better, you don't settle for just solid starters even for an extra pick.
We aren't going to trade anyways, trading out of the top 5 was rare with high rookie salaries and just as rare before high rookie salaries came into being. GM's know they cannot build a contender without impact players and the odds of finding one simply diminishes the further down the draft board you go, so the pick isn't likely to be traded.
Nix and Gailey will first examine the QB's to see if they feel the one they can get, will be a franchise QB, next in line, a LT, I doubt Tyson Smith is rated this high, or Von Miller OLB.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The trouble with trading down is that your chances of getting a real impact player diminishes. the odds of finding one simply diminishes the further down the draft board you go

Watt and Jordan are fine prospects but neither is going to be a star in a 3-4 defense, solid starters, yes, but not impact players
That is simply not true, although generally speaking I agree with you, Patrick Willis, Holati Ngata, Ben Roethlisberger and Nick Mangold were drafted after such studs as Bobby Carpenter, Jamarcus Russell, Jamal Anderson, and Reggie Williams as guys that come to mind.Troy Williamson and Pacman Jones going before Demarcus Ware and Shawn Merriman still makes me laugh. It only diminishes if the impact players are taken by the time your pick comes up.
As for Watt and Jordan, I think that is a matter of opinion, mine is both are legit top ten picks, and will be impact players in a 3-4 defense, numerous scouts and professional evaluators are saying this draft is extremely or the deepest draft they have ever seen along the defensive line, because of all the impact players in the draft at DT and DE. Jordan and Watt have been in everyone's top 5 DE's overall and top three 3-4 DE's that I have seen. Jordan essentially destroyed everyone in the senior bowl, and watt has the production to match his measurables, why don't you think they will be impact players?