Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

a little less angry now...

offseason priorities:

1) resign DRC. like, right now. he was the only valuable DB we had all year, and he needs to be back.
2) cut holliday. if he worries about hanging onto the ball, he's a terrible return man. if he doesn't, he fumbles every other return. i loved him last year, but let's move on.
3) resign moreno (i know, i know. i can't believe i said it, either) if he'll take a reasonable deal to stay here. if he won't, draft a guy in the late rounds and spend the offseason teaching ball whatever they taught moreno this year about getting to the hole.
4) linebackers and defensive backs. set up a tackling drill. put up a tackling dummy and tape the ball to it. then, have every non-DL player tackle it. if they go for the strip, cut them, instantly. i don't care if it's von. i have no idea what's supposed to be out there for FA, but it would be hard to get worse talent than we currently have. i'm ok with trevathan coming back.
5) cut champ if he won't retire. i love the guy for everything he did here, but he's done. he'd have been beat deep by hauschka.

anything pressing that i'm missing?
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
a little less angry now...

offseason priorities:

1) resign DRC. like, right now. he was the only valuable DB we had all year, and he needs to be back.
2) cut holliday. if he worries about hanging onto the ball, he's a terrible return man. if he doesn't, he fumbles every other return. i loved him last year, but let's move on.
3) resign moreno (i know, i know. i can't believe i said it, either) if he'll take a reasonable deal to stay here. if he won't, draft a guy in the late rounds and spend the offseason teaching ball whatever they taught moreno this year about getting to the hole.
4) linebackers and defensive backs. set up a tackling drill. put up a tackling dummy and tape the ball to it. then, have every non-DL player tackle it. if they go for the strip, cut them, instantly. i don't care if it's von. i have no idea what's supposed to be out there for FA, but it would be hard to get worse talent than we currently have. i'm ok with trevathan coming back.
5) cut champ if he won't retire. i love the guy for everything he did here, but he's done. he'd have been beat deep by hauschka.

anything pressing that i'm missing?
Surprisingly i am not that upset today. I think it is because we were beat so damn comprehensively.

What do you think about spending in FA on a safety? It has been such a long time since we had anyone at safety that was a factor. CBs tend to look much better when they actually get help, like ever. Our run def was okay yesterday, and mostly has all season. the pass rush was poor yesterday, but again, has been okay most of the season. Yeah, we need cbs and an ilb, but there cant be many worse starting safeties in the nfl than ours.

moreno and decker will be very interesting FA cases. Both produced like top tier players without being top tier players. Are they delusional or cash hungry enough to chase that sort of money, or would they rather sign a deal commensurate with their actual ability.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i can't imagine anything worth having at S in FA, so i assume it has to be a draft pick.

and really, our run defense was only good because of knighton. the linebackers were lucky enough to occasionally run into lynch and then even more lucky that he fell down, since only one of them has any clue how to wrap up.

and i agree that we just got beat up and down the field. but i was pissed yesterday at how flat everyone was. that team would've been beat by jacksonville or houston.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i can't imagine anything worth having at S in FA, so i assume it has to be a draft pick.

and really, our run defense was only good because of knighton. the linebackers were lucky enough to occasionally run into lynch and then even more lucky that he fell down, since only one of them has any clue how to wrap up.

and i agree that we just got beat up and down the field. but i was pissed yesterday at how flat everyone was. that team would've been beat by jacksonville or houston.
Slight possibility that Jarius Byrd or TJ Ward dont resign or get franchise tag (probably just wishful thinking though). Whitner may also be available.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i'd love to land either of those guys. whitner isn't really the kind of guy who i think makes a difference on our defense, but then, if i'm being honest, our secondary was so bad, that i'd take just about anyone on a reasonable contract.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
Surprisingly i am not that upset today. I think it is because we were beat so damn comprehensively.
I'm the other way - seeing them fold so quickly... like, right in the 1st quarter was too hard too take. They weren't ready and I think they knew it. Sure hope they enjoyed a hell of a party in NYC leading up to gametime because they weren't worth **** on the field. For that, I want to see heads roll.

Other moves:
* Say goodbye to Decker and Beadles - both are too soft and get pushed around.
* Purge the defensive backfield with hellfire and acquire some real safeties and depth at CB
* Shift the offensive scheme more strongly towards the run. Get replacements for Decker, Beadles and Tamme who are tough and physical.
* Really find out if the guys we have behind Manning are worth keeping. If not, make a move to address that issue. My gut feeling is that our time with Manning is short and we'd better be ready for that post-Peyton reality.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 PM    (permalink
ZoneMaster67
Rookie

ZoneMaster67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Osweiler and Dysert need to be ready, I hope one of them is the future replacement for Peyton.

I'm not a fan of Knowshon, but he is finally becoming the type of back you use a first round pick on. Ball is coming along, but isn't the back I was hoping he was going to be coming out of college.

Another Tight End would be helpful, maybe one that is a strong blocker. Decker is still a little underwhelming, he should be a bigger threat than he has been, especially with Welker, Julius, and Demaryius.

If they decide to keep Beadles he needs to be pushed for that starting spot. I really like him, but he does struggle. Outside of Vasquez, I think the interior spots could be upgraded. I think with Clady coming back the tackle spots are in good shape with Franklin on the right side and Clark in the swing spot.

Wolfe and Miller coming back would be a lot of help for the front seven. I like Knighton and Vickerson in the middle, but I'd like to see Williams develop into an inside presents (or they pick someone else up and Wolfe moves inside full-time).

Trevathan is coming along nicely, he's the bright spot in the backer corps and they need to build around him and Miller.

Denver still needs at least one more corner (better yet two) to go with DRC and Chris Harris. Harris is going to be coming off an ACL so he may still be questionable next season. Champ is finally considering a move to Safety, that will help a little but Denver still needs to look into other options(outside of the team) at both safety positions.
ZoneMaster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The game was more comical to me than disappointing: safety to start the game, multiple picks (one for a TD), fumble, kickoff return TD, shutout for 3 quarters. I think the game played out worse than my worst nightmare!

Although we gave up 43 points, I'm not going to pin it on the defense. Two of the scores came from special teams and a pick-6. Two of the other TDs came from short field situations due to turnovers or 3-and-outs. Don't get me wrong. The defense got outplayed, but their mistakes pale in comparison to that of our offense. I could hardly recognize that unit last night.

As for next year, Decker and Moreno are expendable in my opinion. Decker is soft and not worth the money he will be demanding. And Knowshon was only valuable for his pass protection (I believe PFF showed that Moreno has the worst or second-worst yards after initial contact). Now that Ball will be in his 2nd year, I trust that he can step up and protect Manning adequately next season. And maybe Hillman will even hold onto the ball.

Like everyone else has already said, resigning DRC is priority #1. I prefer Chris Harris covering the slot... so we should be in the market looking for a #2 CB. Hoping that Bailey will take a pay cut and finally switch over to safety. He could actually be useful there. Getting more pass rushers to help out Von Miller next year would also be a smart move.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:37 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Seen a lot of fan talk about moving Franklin to LG and starting Clark at RT. saves us money or high draft pick.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i don't see champ as a viable safety. he's not a big enough hitter to play in the box, and he has less range than nick ferguson ever had. he's done and he needs to realize it.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

the more i think about it, the more i'd be ok with selling the farm and moving up into the top 5 for clowney. or moving up into the top 15 or whatever for dix or dennard. i was all on the BPA bandwagon, so maybe i'm just massively overreacting to one of the worst games i've ever seen a broncos team play.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i don't see champ as a viable safety. he's not a big enough hitter to play in the box, and he has less range than nick ferguson ever had. he's done and he needs to realize it.
He's not a hitter, but maybe that's a good thing. He wraps up on tackles. I guess I just felt that, given Champ's vision and knowledge of the game, he could be a great center-fielder. But yeah, it's still a huge risk since he's never played the position before. I take it you'd rather rely on Rahim Moore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
the more i think about it, the more i'd be ok with selling the farm and moving up into the top 5 for clowney. or moving up into the top 15 or whatever for dix or dennard. i was all on the BPA bandwagon, so maybe i'm just massively overreacting to one of the worst games i've ever seen a broncos team play.
Interesting. I wouldn't be opposed either, but what would selling the farm look like? Does anyone know if there is a cap to the number of future 1st round picks that a team can trade?

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namy View Post
He's not a hitter, but maybe that's a good thing. He wraps up on tackles. I guess I just felt that, given Champ's vision and knowledge of the game, he could be a great center-fielder. But yeah, it's still a huge risk since he's never played the position before. I take it you'd rather rely on Rahim Moore?
no, i don't really trust moore either. but i don't see champ as an upgrade anywhere in our secondary at this point. which should tell you what i think of champ's ability at this point.

that said, it's clear we need to at least make an attempt at an upgrade.

Quote:
Interesting. I wouldn't be opposed either, but what would selling the farm look like? Does anyone know if there is a cap to the number of future 1st round picks that a team can trade?
i dunno. can we work out a sign and trade with decker and some picks? probably not. but if there was a chance... i just want to dream about having some a+ talent on the defense who might not smoke his career away.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Champ is done. If we're paying him anything next season it's too much.

I don't think the draft is really relevant at this point. Sure, we'll grab some guys and slowly bring them along for the "life after Manning" that will inevitably come. But if they are serious about making another run, then the changes that matter will need to happen through FA.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

incarcerated bob (yeah, i know) is currently reporting that manning is about to retire.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
incarcerated bob (yeah, i know) is currently reporting that manning is about to retire.
He has been right before.

Hypothetically if Manning retires, who do you want to roll with at QB next season? Brock or veteran via trade/FA?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:13 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He has been right before.

Hypothetically if Manning retires, who do you want to roll with at QB next season? Brock or veteran via trade/FA?
he's right like, 0.001% of the time, he just says a lot of things so he can crow on the tiny minority of things he gets right.

either way, dysert. there won't be a single veteran worth ****, none of the trade qbs are better than career back-ups, and osweiler just isn't that good.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

so... i really, really want a safety out of this draft. i really like 4 of them (clinton-dix, pryor, buchannon, ward), and one of them is bound to be available to us.

and i think we should consider trading von.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When I read how easy it is for NFL players to pass a drug test, it just makes Von's failed tests that much more worrisome.

Dude basically didn't give a **** at all. AT ALL. It's almost like you have to go out of your way to fail a test and he did.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM    (permalink
ZoneMaster67
Rookie

ZoneMaster67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What do you guys think are the chances of D'Qwell Jackson signing with the Broncos?
ZoneMaster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneMaster67 View Post
What do you guys think are the chances of D'Qwell Jackson signing with the Broncos?
It would have to be a possibility. He would be an upgrade, though not sure he quite has the speed or coverage ability we would ideally want. If we upgrade our safeties, I would like him in the middle a heck of a lot more.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
so... i really, really want a safety out of this draft. i really like 4 of them (clinton-dix, pryor, buchannon, ward), and one of them is bound to be available to us.

and i think we should consider trading von.
I cant imagine we would have a shot at the first two, and I think we need to address the safety position in free agency. Would be happy enough if we brought in a mid-price vet in FA and then drafted a potential starting safety in the early to mid rounds.

Trade Von for Revis?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I cant imagine we would have a shot at the first two, and I think we need to address the safety position in free agency. Would be happy enough if we brought in a mid-price vet in FA and then drafted a potential starting safety in the early to mid rounds.

Trade Von for Revis?
i think addressing safety in FA means selling out for byrd. i don't think anyone else gives us any value, and i'm not of the opinion that rahim moore is a difference maker for us.

that said, if we don't improve at safety, we won't win the super bowl.

and i dunno on trading von... it's hard to say what the value would be. but he's a potentially huge liability going into a contract year when we'll also need to resign a ton of guys. it'll help if this is peyton's last year, i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Dude basically didn't give a **** at all. AT ALL. It's almost like you have to go out of your way to fail a test and he did.
yup. it's worse that he got caught enough times to get suspended.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
i think addressing safety in FA means selling out for byrd. i don't think anyone else gives us any value, and i'm not of the opinion that rahim moore is a difference maker for us.

that said, if we don't improve at safety, we won't win the super bowl.

and i dunno on trading von... it's hard to say what the value would be. but he's a potentially huge liability going into a contract year when we'll also need to resign a ton of guys. it'll help if this is peyton's last year, i guess.

yup. it's worse that he got caught enough times to get suspended.
While Byrd would be fantastic, I imagine we will make a run at Delmas or Bethea, or someone else at that level. Seems more like an Elway kind of a move.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't want any part of Delmas. Way too injury prone.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote