Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 AM    (permalink
rcpbawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
he's what?
i suspect that if, say, meriweather were there in the late 7th, shanny might think the risk was so minimal as to be worth it. i highly doubt he does something like taking him in the 2nd. in fact, it wouldn't surprise me to not see us draft a safety at all, especially if cornerback talent in the 3rdish is decent and shanny think foxworth can be left at S.

I would hope that Shanny would draft Merriwether should he fall to the seventh... :shock:

And I'd be disappointed if we didn't address safety on day one...
Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bump

what the hell how is it possible that nobody posted in this thread for 24 hours till this post
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

shanny was ready to go with nick fergican'tcovermolasses and lynch last year. i can't imagine he's seen much to change his mind if he was ok with it then. not that i agree, i advocated a first round safety last year.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

can i say i sincerely hope denver's draft doesn't end up like the forum mock draft?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
shanny was ready to go with nick fergican'tcovermolasses and lynch last year. i can't imagine he's seen much to change his mind if he was ok with it then. not that i agree, i advocated a first round safety last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
i think shanahan (unfortuatly gets attached to players like nick) wants to keep ferguson and cox and abdullah and battle them for the job (and possibly a FA acqusition). I think that the most sensible pick right now would be at DT.. Lang and Ekuban, and dumervil are average players, so i think shanahan ends up adressing our Amobi Okoye please
shanahan gets these hunches on players and doesnt give up..
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
can i say i sincerely hope denver's draft doesn't end up like the forum mock draft?
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i think shanahan (unfortuatly gets attached to players like nick) wants to keep ferguson and cox and abdullah and battle them for the job (and possibly a FA acqusition). I think that the most sensible pick right now would be at DT.. Lang and Ekuban, and dumervil are average players, so i think shanahan ends up adressing our Amobi Okoye please
ah, missed that post. i pray we get okoye, but i have full faith we'll do something stupid like take Rice in the first and address some other non-essential need in the second.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 AM    (permalink
rcpbawler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ah, missed that post. i pray we get okoye, but i have full faith we'll do something stupid like take Rice in the first and address some other non-essential need in the second.

S, DT or DE... otherwise, I'm unhappy.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A quick glance at the forum mock for Denver would have most people saying that also. However, I was able to fill every pressing need Denver had this forum mock, thru trade, and drafting.

Biggest Need for us is on the Defensive Line. I acquired Patrick Kerney, and Simeon Rice for hardly anything. After you add up the picks I traded and then match them with the value of the player under the assumption that the trades were even under the point system. I ended up getting Simeon Rice for a mid Fifth round pick. Patrick Kerney who in my mind is a top 5 DE in the league only costed me about the value of a mid 2nd rounder. Can you honestly say I could of gotten anything better in the 2nd round then Kerney, or in the 5th round then Rice? I don't think so. I was able to make Defensive End which was a weak point on our team, to a strong point, very very cheaply.

I also was able to acquire via trade Deon Grant ( For about a late third round pick value), Who is one of my favoriate players to watch, as well as a very underrated saftey. He can move in and play Strong or Free saftey for us. A depth need that we really could of used last year instead of starting Foxworth, or Cox at saftey.

So before the draft even started, I already filled three of our biggest position needs.

in the Draft < still going, but not going to get any starters this late in the draft > I was able to get Ted Ginn, Who not only will be our PR/KR <Which we suck very bad at> But will be our #2 WR after Rod retired. Ginn and Walker together is just a scary combo, and Cutler will be putting up monster numbers with those two on the team.

I also drafted Kareem Brown, he had 8.5 sacks this year, and 10 tackles for loss. and he's 6-5, 310. I feel we had a need at DT, and Brown right now is an upgrade to Myers.

All in all the forum mock for Denver has gone just amazingly well if you ask me. We drafted need, and were able to pick up solid veterans to make a super bowl run this year. not in 3 - 4 years.

But then again it is just a forum mock, and the first forum mock for starters. They don't become realistic untill you see what teams picked up what free agents and stuff like that. But for a January Mock, It's almost amazing if you ask me.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

personally, i think ginn is an awful prospect for denver. the only thing he really adds here, imo, is a KR, and given that every guy we've drafted for the position has bombed, i'm not real high on using a first rounder at the spot.

part of the problem stems from the fact that rice, even if acquired for a 5th, might have one season left. kerney's going to be 31 before the playoffs start. i like him coming in as a free agent, but i probably wouldn't trade picks for a guy who may not have a lot of great years left. grant, i'm sort of ambivalent about.

but regardless, the fact that we didn't fill our #1 need until the mid third round is odd. especially because it involved picking up two different DE's, a position i can see us needed perhaps one three down player at.

*shrug*

i'm not saying you did a terrible job, by any means, but i'm not sure i love the results.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

i dont want ginn anyways... i dont like his routes, he isnt that polished hands wise. and i am not convinced about his agility and fluidness... can he stop and cut? some moron is going to reach a herculean level on him
Old 01-25-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching the Senior Bowl 1-on-1 linemen drills, I can say Adam Carriker looks very good, as does Okoye. Okoye doesn't lose often. And Carriker looks a lot leaner than I expected. He's also pretty athletic. I think he could be a solid 4-3 LE, as he can stop the run, and looked good rushing the passer. Okoye would obviously be a very good UT, only problem is at 287, how can he hold up against the run? Because that seemed to be a problem at times for us this year. Tank Tyler looked alright, he's really strong, but Ryan Kalil seemed to be able to control him well enough.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

okoye's weight doesn't bother me at his age. the thing with taking him, is that i think it will definitely be a couple of years before he really hits his full potential, so even if the weight's an issue initially, i think he'd still be stout enough in a rotation to justify the selection for the future.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

bumperiffic
Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Cecil Lammey (Wright saw him there) who works for 950 the fan and is staff on footballguys.com stated the Broncos were heavily scouting defense; especially intrigued by Abiamiri out of ND.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i wonder how meaningful that is come draft day... iirc, we didn't even talk to cutler. actually, i don't recall us heavily scouting anyone we've taken first... here's crossing my fingers.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
i wonder how meaningful that is come draft day... iirc, we didn't even talk to cutler. actually, i don't recall us heavily scouting anyone we've taken first... here's crossing my fingers.
Yeah, I don't think anybody from the organization even said a word to him.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-27-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Bump?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

wtf we havent had a meaningful post here in a day and a half. why is this thread so empty.

let me take some initiative and say that i would love to nail a guy like Robert Meachem, or Johnnie Lee Higgins, because I belive they would serve Lelie's old role and go deep a lot, and draw some attention, allow Marshall and Walker to catch a lot more balls (on a consistent basis, assuming we are running with 3 WRS on a 2nd or 3rd and long) Obviously, walker would see a decrease in his yard per catch, but he would have more catches[/u]
Old 01-28-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
wtf we havent had a meaningful post here in a day and a half. why is this thread so empty.

let me take some initiative and say that i would love to nail a guy like Robert Meachem, or Johnnie Lee Higgins, because I belive they would serve Lelie's old role and go deep a lot, and draw some attention, allow Marshall and Walker to catch a lot more balls (on a consistent basis, assuming we are running with 3 WRS on a 2nd or 3rd and long) Obviously, walker would see a decrease in his yard per catch, but he would have more catches[/u]

Is Rod Smith retiring then? Or did he already?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-28-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:

Is Rod Smith retiring then? Or did he already?
idk im just making assumptions, but smith wont win the #2 job, and if he does we are in serious, serious ****. He might have trouble cracking a 5 second 40 these days
Old 01-28-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Any thoughts on the FA market and the Broncos. I guess we are around 7 million under the cap but if we get rid of Plummer . . . thoughts? I have made it clear I would like to package Lynch in the deal as I an not a big fan of his (if you think Rod Smith is slow look at Lynch).

A DE or OL would be a nice FA pickup.
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by M
Any thoughts on the FA market and the Broncos. I guess we are around 7 million under the cap but if we get rid of Plummer . . . thoughts? I have made it clear I would like to package Lynch in the deal as I an not a big fan of his (if you think Rod Smith is slow look at Lynch).

A DE or OL would be a nice FA pickup.
i think a good WR, DE, DT or RT would be great... we cant really draft for a RT...
but we need to toss Plummer Obv, although idk what type of hit our cap takes.. can someone explain cap hits to me? and we also need to get rid of foster, because he sucks and is playing with a rd 1 contract...

maybe lynch
Old 01-28-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Foster will not be released as he only makes $735k in base salary in '07. You will not have any savings from cutting the guy and you cannot replace a guy that knows the system for that cheap. Trade him if you can get value but I doubt you will.

Do not know Plummers details off the top of my head.

As far as free agents - think Atlanta:
If the Falcons don't put the franchise tag on defensive end Patrick Kerney, the Broncos might seriously consider him. He would fit in Denver for several reasons.

Kerney is a solid pass-rusher, one of the Broncos' biggest needs. He has 58 career sacks in eight NFL seasons. Kerney has played most of his career under defensive line coach Bill Johnson, who is now an assistant on Denver's staff.

Johnson's presence could be attractive for Kerney if the lineman gets into free agency.

As far as Jamal Lewis from Baltimore - I doubt he will not get resigned at the last minute, just like before as you recall when he was scheduled to get on a plane to visit Denver - the Ravens signed him at the airport.

As far as restructuring contracts I hear we are considering restructuring Rod Smith, Ebenezer Ekuban and Kenard Lang, possibly Gerard Warren.

I think Kubiac will not trade for Plummer, as he knows Plummers limitations and besides, why trade for him when we are not going to keep him at that price - wait for us to cut plummer before Roster bonus hits and then acquire Plummer for nothing in exchange, just pay his new contract.

(This is why the NBA with guaranteed contracts is miserable - no incentive to perform unless last year of contract and no penalty for dogging it, being out of shape and underachieving.)
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

iirc, we're about 8 under. cutting plummer prior to june 1st nets something like a 9 million dollar charge against (putting us one million over).

i'm looking for Gold to be restructured or cut (last year he was our fourth highest paid player, in terms of cap numbers, and he was NOT our fourth best player), rod smith to restructure (unless he's hell bent on retiring elsewhere), at least some part of ekuban, engelberger, warren and lang to be cut or restructured (they all made FAR too much money to be as ineffective as they were) and possibly nalen/lepsis to restructure.

bluntly, we are basically not in the market for any big name guys (kerney's coach being here could lower his price tag enough, or we could cut 2/3 of the DEs i listed above to sign him) but it seems that you can pretty much rule out any player who's name you recognize for this season. which is probably ok. the only guys i'd want at all are freeney and kerney (as of right now) and i highly doubt freeney hits the market.