Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

this thread just keeps dying. it's almost not worth ressurecting.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
mattrob
Rookie

mattrob hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

To start the discussion, what does everyone think we'll do with #21? I'd like to see us trade down with the Jets for their two seconds, then try to pick up Griffin, Crowder, and Mebane in round 2. Trading for a mid-2nd and a 1st next year would be an option, too. I don't think the talent we'll be picking from at 21 will be that much different from that in the mid-2nd, at least at our positions of need (DL, S, WR, RB).

The only players I'd look to trade up for would be Carriker (as long as it only cost one of our 3rds), Anderson or Adams (if one falls to the 11-15 range).
mattrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i doubt we trade down (as our tendency is to move up for a guy we want). i sort of look for us to make a move up to 15-18 (hopefully to grab a DT) on draft day, when someone shanny loves inevitably falls into that range. but i think it really depends on the combine. if all the DL move themselves way up, and the WRs are gone and Lynch is gone, i could see a trade down. that's a lot of ifs though.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
mattrob
Rookie

The problem is, Okoye and Branch are really the only two DT's that should be gone before 21 and they'll probably go top 10. DE is the same way, with Anderson and Adams likely gone in the top 10 as well. That leaves Carriker, who may creap up close to that range, too. After that, you're looking at Tank Tyler or a DE like Jarvis Moss, neither of which excite me too much. I'm not a huge Lynch fan, either. Talent's there but he never really was dominant when I watched him play.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

yeah, i'm not as high on lynch as some of the guys here (chris), but i think a solution is necessary at RB and i just don't like any of the talent after lynch.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
mattrob
Rookie

There's a couple of guys I wouldn't mind, like Jackson, Pittman, Hunt, or Gary Russell, but the real talent will come out next year. There's three or four guys next year who could rank higher than Lynch and there's good depth as well. I'd rather wait one more year.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What round do you guys like to see Denver draft a O-Tackle?

I'd love to get Ugoh in the late 3rd if he were to be available. Joe Staley would be great too, though he's probably a 2nd rounder and Denver has more pressing needs.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

2nd-4th, i doubt the talent is available in the first, but lepsis's injury affected the team too much for me to believe this isn't a top 3 need (especially if the guy has the ability to play either tackle, in case meadows cant' get it done next year).
Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
2nd-4th, i doubt the talent is available in the first, but lepsis's injury affected the team too much for me to believe this isn't a top 3 need (especially if the guy has the ability to play either tackle, in case meadows cant' get it done next year).

Thanks, so who do you view matches these qualifications while being in the 2-4 range?

Also would you approve of Denver drafting Joe Staley around the 2-3 round range if a D-lineman is already picked in the first?
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i'll be honest, i just haven't had a chance to really look at individual prospects yet... unfortunately this year i was on a plane for the senior bowl, which is when i tend to start to really look at guys. at this point, i'd say i'm not massively particular about the guys as long as the position gets addressed somehow (i'm not opposed to signing someone, as long as he still has some years left).
Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

just fyi, if anyone's interested, the donkeys are still unmanned in the next forum mock thing.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what do you guys think about Denver and Kerney, i mean i know most of you have expressed your interest to a high level, but do we really have the cap, and do we need an aging D-lineman who was on the IR?

i guess you could argue that he is in the same situation as Pryce was, not as severe injury wise, but aging, but possibly still great
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Need some help Broncos fans...I'm at your pick in my mock.

I know that D-line is a big need for them..but in my mock all the best D-line prospects are gone so far (Anderson, Adams, Branch, Carriker, Okoye, and Charles Johnson even)

that leaves you with guys like Moss, Abiamiri at DE, and Pitcock, Tyler, and Harrell at DT.

Who would be the best pick in that situation?

*edit ok I want to give them Jarvis Moss, but at 260 lbs I'm not sure he can be an every down DE. Another Bronco fan told me that they could really use a DT that can get a push on the interior...so I kind of want to give you DeMarcus Tyler.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

DT or HB seem to be the obvious picks. if literally every 1st round worthy DT and HB was gone, WR is probably the next most likely pick.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
kwilliamsfa

Quote:
DT or HB seem to be the obvious picks. if literally every 1st round worthy DT and HB was gone, WR is probably the next most likely pick.
DT is much needed *if* they can help collapse the pocket on passing downs.

I like OL better than WR as the "3rd need" , assuming a decent prospect is available. Strengthing the line is critical to giving our young skill players the chance they need to succeed.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
kwilliamsfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
what do you guys think about Denver and Kerney, i mean i know most of you have expressed your interest to a high level, but do we really have the cap, and do we need an aging D-lineman who was on the IR?
I'm not sure about the cap space, but I'd certainly like to see it happen. He's got a motor and can rush the passer. Yes, he is aging and has been injured, but we do have some depth on the DL to keep a decent rotation.

Our draft position is not favorable to getting immediate help on the DL. The really good prospects will likely be gone and I suspect the remaining pool won't be 1st round material. Unless the team is planning on trading up, this is further incentive to look to the market for help.

Quote:
i guess you could argue that he is in the same situation as Pryce was, not as severe injury wise, but aging, but possibly still great
Pryce worked out pretty well for Baltimore...
Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

god, diehard im starting to have trouble distinguishing our posts... (see avitar)
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what kind of defense do you run is it a traditonal 43 or a cover 2 43?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Rex212

Is it a traditional 4-3. If they had more pressure generated along the line the idea would be to switch to a Cover 2. They havn't had the necessary personnel along the line.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:10 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard
I like OL better than WR as the "3rd need" , assuming a decent prospect is available. Strengthing the line is critical to giving our young skill players the chance they need to succeed.
i absolutely whole heartedly agree, i just don't see it as a likely pick. :|
Old 02-06-2007, 12:11 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
what kind of defense do you run is it a traditonal 43 or a cover 2 43?
4-3

bailey would be wasted in any standard cover 2 scheme.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
kwilliamsfa

Quote:
i absolutely whole heartedly agree, i just don't see it as a likely pick. :|
I agree, unless one of the blue chip OL prospects falls a lot further down the chart than anticipated (slim chance of that, given how desperate some teams are for OL help).

The #21 spot is a tough one to address the primary team needs (DL, RB, OL). I certainly don't like some of the reach picks I've seen in various mocks - I'd rather have real first round talent even if it fills a lesser need like S or WR.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

yup.

i find it hard to believe we'll actually pick at 21 (barring some seriously bizarre draft day happenings), so i think somepalce in the 15-18 range we'll be able to find someone who fills a major need position and whose value is right.

i just don't want to see us do something like trade up for ginn.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

i dont think shanahan sees anything in ginn but a very very poor mans lelie.... so he can return, something we need, but he is only a deep threat and cant run routes.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

see, the return bit scares me. it's the only reason he took deltha and middlebrooks so high.