Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...season-begins/

Slowik apparently has no answers for the utter failure of the defense. It's a ******* disgrace. I don't care if he's a stooge, he needs to go.

I am now convinced that Shanahan thinks he can win it all with offense alone. Watch us defy all expectations/sanity and go for more firepower (RB, receiver and interior OL) early in the draft.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i think i said it here before (and not just out loud to people who probably looked at me funny), but it honestly wouldn't bother me that much. shanny can't draft defense. pure and simple. so at least if we take all offense in the draft, there's a better chance of us taking good players. although we certainly run the risk of taking more claretts...
That would pretty much be the definition of "making the best of a bad situation"... and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it happened.

Of course the defense would get a few bones thrown its way (say safety in round 2 or 3, then DL/LB help in the late rounds and UFA)... just enough so they can make the claim to be "reloading" the defense. Add in a few bargain basement defensive FA's and we're on our way...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet Shanahan takes Chris Wells and Hakeem Nicks...I don't know what to say about them not canning Slowik. That would be like finding out the Lions resigned their coach, and gave him a promotion.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
The fact that the chargers want to pin their disappointing performance on the injury to Merriman is laughable. If Tom Brady can't cause that much of a difference on the Patriots, then Merriman sure as hell shouldn't cause that much of a difference for the chargers. Fact is that the Chargers are on the decline, see LT and Jamal Williams as an example, and their window is closing. They are still a good team, but not near the strength they were previously.

Rivers is a punk and while a good QB, Cutler has him beat in almost every catagory (except maturity I'd say). If Cutler hadn't lost 8 freaking RBs this year to keep defenses even remotely honest his stats / performance would have been better. It's hard to come up with an effective game plan or passing attack when the opposing defense knows you can't run the ball effectively and basically play a nickel / dime against you every play.

No fourth quarter poise? I guess fourth quarter comebacks this year against the Browns, KC, and Atlanta don't count???
Just to address some stuff:

-Merriman's absence wasn't the only reason our D was so awful, but it sure helped. No pass pressure in the first half of the season at all led to QBs from all over the place picking us apart. After Cottrell was fired, it was released that he had made no adjustments to deal with Merriman's departure. None...just inserted Jyles Tucker.

I like Tucker, but ultimately, gimme a break. Under Rivera, we are still pretty bad, but not atrocious.

As for Rivers v. Cutler, well everyone seems to be happy with their guy, so why not leave it at that? I do have to admit there's a certain satisfaction to Cutler outing himself as a pretty immature young guy.

Nothing says "Baby" like whining and demanding an apology from the guy who called you a baby, over a year after the fact. At a certain point...get over it, ya know? It's football.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Just to address some stuff:
Were you waiting to make sure you won the game before responding to these comments?

Anyway, Rivers and Cutler is a wash, both are good QB's and the banter only helps the rivalry. As far as the decline in SD's defense goes, well, I'm not going to comment - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Safe to say that I'd happily take anything over the piece of **** defense that Denver is putting out on the field.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Cutless

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...-cutler-a-punk

This is no Charger article either.....I chimed in before sunday, and may chime in again if we beat Indy. The reason SD chimed in and made those comments was because Cutler made himself look WORSE with those comments he made after the game, and before the game about Rivers.

The Bronco's were unbeatable with Terrell Davis/Elway combo, if you can fix the D.....Cutler/Baby TO and company will give us a run for the AFC west, but not until. I sure hope you guys don't get Sproles in the offseason, he has killed you guys!!!!
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Were you waiting to make sure you won the game before responding to these comments?

Anyway, Rivers and Cutler is a wash, both are good QB's and the banter only helps the rivalry. As far as the decline in SD's defense goes, well, I'm not going to comment - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Safe to say that I'd happily take anything over the piece of **** defense that Denver is putting out on the field.
I wasn't even talking trash, I bashed the SD defense and then called a split between Rivers and Cutler.

And yah, I had to wait til after the game to address the comments made by Cutler during the broadcast. You got me.

Anyone can see Denver has plenty of talent, and I'm a football fan so I like watching them. It'll never interfere with my SD worship, but I usually do my best not to be a hater.

Last edited by CC.SD : 12-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
I wasn't even talking trash, I bashed the SD defense and then called a split between Rivers and Cutler.
... and I didn't think you were talking trash. You actually sounded quite reasonable.

Quote:
And yah, I had to wait til after the game to address the comments made by Cutler during the broadcast. You got me.
The reason I mentioned that was because you were responding to a post from last week.

Quote:
Anyone can see Denver has plenty of talent, and I'm a football fan so I like watching them.
We have talent on the offensive side of the ball, no question about it. The rest is ****.

Quote:
It'll never interfere with my SD worship, but I usually do my best not to be a hater.
Fair enough.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default Shanny is done

Glad they moved quickly on this so the new coach can get ready to rebuild the D.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
any ideas who? there isn't really anyone out there who gets me excited...
The thought of Bill Parcells' road show jumping ship from Miami to come to Denver doesn't make your spine tingle? <grin>

Actually, I have an odd feeling one of our old enemies is going to end up taking the GM role...
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as grief as I gave Shanny and the grief he gave Broncos fans, this feels incredibly weird. I couldn't believe the news when I heard it from the kitchen. End of an era.

Whoever's next better take good care of and build around Jay Cutler. He is the franchise.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Raheem Morris for HC.

Do it.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowher or Bust!
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
schottenheimer? if his offensive style weren't so contrary to what denver has, i probably really wouldn't mind that.
As GM, that's less important. The coaching staff can still run the zone scheme. However, in terms of evaluating defensive talent Schottenheimer would be a big upgrade.

A bunch of Patriots could also wind up here - Piolo as GM, Josh McDaniels as HC and Crennel as DC. The switch to a 3-4 would be painful, but a wholesale change in defensive personnel is probably needed anyway.

Ah, isn't speculation fun? In any case, I don't think we'll need to wait too long... I suspect Bowlen already has a pretty good idea who he wants to bring in.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Return of the Orange Crush? ;)
Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stay away from Spagnuolo, who is perfect for your team.

k? thnx.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I'm guessing because the offensive personnel, other than probably RB, is already in place? And the Broncos have young pass-rushers like Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Marcus Thomas?

Maybe BBD was speaking in more general terms though. Wouldn't hurt to hire Spags, that's for sure.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
why do you say that? i don't actually know anything about the guy
1. he's originally from Philly. he will bring a philly guy with him and keep the WCO intact, which your offense is perfect for.

2. he's great at getting the most out of a defense. you have man corners, and thats about it, but he can make the most of it, and with a solid draft, will make that defense very respectable.

within 2 years i expect him to get that defense to become a top 10 unit.

you have a good pass rusher in Dumerville, your LBs aren't all that bad, they just need some fine tuning, you have a shutdown corner, Spags can make it work. since the offense doesn't need anything really, he can dedicate the whole draft to building up his defense.

and he's very good at not being stubborn and adjusting to the personnel he has. he's perfect.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I'm guessing because the offensive personnel, other than probably RB, is already in place? And the Broncos have young pass-rushers like Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Marcus Thomas?

Maybe BBD was speaking in more general terms though. Wouldn't hurt to hire Spags, that's for sure.
pretty much on the nose.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
do you guys honestly still call champ a shutdown corner? after the last game, i'm ready to put him at FS a la rod woodson. maybe it's injuries, but he doesn't seem to have "it" anymore.

either way, i like the sound of the guy... hopefully bowlen reads the boards =P
even if he's not, think about it, Spags will have the entire draft to build his defense.

he can make your LBs work, LBs aren't that important in his system.

you have pass rushers, who Spags will no doubt get the most out of.

he just needs to beef up the secondary. and perhaps the dline, depending on how much he can squeeze out of the current talent. and he'll have a whole draft to do it.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
2. he's great at getting the most out of a defense. you have man corners, and thats about it, but he can make the most of it, and with a solid draft, will make that defense very respectable.
I think Denver will be a nice draw for any defensive minded HC / GM candidates, despite our current defensive problems, simply because we can afford to use most of the offseason (draft, FA) on defense. That's going to give someone the chance to really mould the defense to their liking.

I'm leaning more to the NE connection as the stronger possibility, but Spagnuolo's attacking D scheme would certainly be a welcome sight in Denver...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting to see who we hire. I would imagine the Broncos job would be the most coveted at the moment, maybe the Jets giving us a run for that distinction. However, I can't see any already established coach really wanting to follow Shanahan, So that would rule out Cowher. I also don't think any of the "highly" considered coordinators would want to follow Shanahan either, so that would rule out Spagnolo McDaniels and Garret.

Cutler came out today in an interview and sounded like he was pretty pissed with the firing. Hopefully we don't end up with some clown like Mangini, will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what are the chances that the Broncos release Rick Dennison?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
what are the chances that the Broncos release Rick Dennison?
He was one of "Shanny's Guys" so that would entirely depend on if they promote from within, or if they hire someone from outside. Denninson was really just our O-line coach, despite his title. Jeremy Bates ran the offense this year.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
He was one of "Shanny's Guys" so that would entirely depend on if they promote from within, or if they hire someone from outside. Denninson was really just our O-line coach, despite his title. Jeremy Bates ran the offense this year.
that is what I want, he would become the Packers' o-line coach. Do you guys think he has some credit to the success of the ZBS in Denver? He has been there since 1995 so he must have done something.