Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan
it's true Titan, You can Hire Spags, End up signing Peppers, and Haynesworth, and then draft Mays in the first, and get Spikes to drop to you in the 2nd. And he would complain you didn't help the offense. =)
Lol, oh I know. I've had conversations with njx before. :D

Speaking of the offense, which RB's do you guys like in the Draft, particularly in the 2nd RD? I'm debating on signing a solid but unspectacular RB in FA, and drafting one like Shonn Green in the 2nd RD.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Lol, oh I know. I've had conversations with njx before. :D

Speaking of the offense, which RB's do you guys like in the Draft, particularly in the 2nd RD? I'm debating on signing a solid but unspectacular RB in FA, and drafting one like Shonn Green in the 2nd RD.
I may be alone in my thinking, but I don't really see RB as an early round need. I absolutely love the stable of RB's we already have, especially Hillis, Torain, and Pittman, our backfield is already very crowded, and with all of the needs we have on defense, I don't think there's any reason to draft a RB that early.
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan
I may be alone in my thinking, but I don't really see RB as an early round need. I absolutely love the stable of RB's we already have, especially Hillis, Torain, and Pittman, our backfield is already very crowded, and with all of the needs we have on defense, I don't think there's any reason to draft a RB that early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
and for the record, i don't love an early round (or even late round) rb, now that we may have someone who can competently draft defensive players.
I believe many of ya'lls RB's are FA's. Michael Pittman, Andre Hall, and Tatum Bell are for sure. I believe PJ Pope, Andrew Pinnock, Alex Haynes, and Cory Boyd are too as their contracts were undisclosed. So only Selvin Young, Ryan Torain, Peyton Hillis, and Anthony Aldridge are set to return. If ya'lls opinions on those guys are high, then I'd agree that RB isn't a big draft need.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you aren't interested in Denver getting a running back, you obviously have a problem.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i really like javon ringer. i don't fully understand why.

and for the record, i don't love an early round (or even late round) rb, now that we may have someone who can competently draft defensive players.
That's so weird. I was watching the bowl game against Georgia, and I was wondering what would stop the Broncos from taking a flier on him. He looks like a nice, physical runner who can handle a lot of carries. Hmmmm. I don't know.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So only Selvin Young, Ryan Torain, Peyton Hillis, and Anthony Aldridge are set to return. If ya'lls opinions on those guys are high, then I'd agree that RB isn't a big draft need.
Young - okay speed, indecisive runner at times, often nicked up
Torain - runs with power, seems to enjoy season-ending injuries
Aldridge - flyweight who's one step away from a life-ending injury

Hillis is the only one who's really shown he can be a significant contributor the offense. His inside running combined with our passing attack is tough to defend against (see the Jets game).

So, yes, RB is a draft-day / FA need.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
That's so weird. I was watching the bowl game against Georgia, and I was wondering what would stop the Broncos from taking a flier on him. He looks like a nice, physical runner who can handle a lot of carries. Hmmmm. I don't know.
Yes, he does look like a good fit for the Broncos. I like the word "reliable" to describe him... which is exactly what our running game needs to bring to the table in order to complement the passing attack.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, what is the verdict on Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder? I really liked Crowder coming out in the 2007 draft.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really like the senior RBs coming out other than Jeremiah Johnson. If the juniors come out I like Knowshon Moreno and Beanie Wells... but they're obvious first round talents and we have bigger needs to address there.

I'm just hoping for Taylor Mays... but any linebacker from USC would satisfy me too... like Maluagua or Cushing. Maybe even Matthews, too.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
I agree 100%. I also liked what I saw from Anthony Alridge during training camp and in the preseason. We need to focus on defense and get as many new starters in here as possible.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'm more interested in denver having someone who can tackle the other team's running back before he gets 7 yards a carry.
Why present a false dilemma? Denver can adequately address their defensive needs and add playmakers to to the offense. It isn't a tough concept to grasp.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
denver will have the greatest draft ever and find a starter in every single round.
Finally, some optimism!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

nver narrows list of coaching candidates
By Adam Schefter

At this time last week, in this space, it was suggested that New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was the leading candidate for the Broncos head coaching job. The point is still valid, only now it’s stronger.

Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis spent five and a half hours in Massachusetts on Thursday night, conducting a second interview with McDaniels in which he was said to be just as impressive as he was in his first meeting with a full contingent of Denver officials.

Now there is a growing concern in Foxboro, Mass., that the Patriots are on the verge of losing their offensive coordinator, the man who is in charge of the offense and helped elevate the play of quarterbacks Tom Brady and Matt Cassel.

Though Denver refuses to say anything, it clearly has McDaniels in its list of a select few finalists. The others are thought to be Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris.

But Denver has been so busy this week that is is possible, even likely, that it will make its move as early as Monday and introduce the next coach of the Broncos early this week.

The Broncos also have made it clear that, even though their defense is in disrepair, they want to hire the best head coach, even if he doesn’t come from the defensive side of the football.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/10/denv...ng-candidates/

~~

Uggh.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
can they also end world hunger and bring world peace? just because you say it doesn't make it remotely true.
You say some of the dumbest **** ever. Do you even listen to yourself?

Quote:
but i'd be interested in seeing how we can "adequately address" the fact that our linebackers might be the worst in the league, our safeties couldn't start on most college teams, we need DT help *and* get a "playmaker" at RB. unless you're presuming that denver will have the greatest draft ever and find a starter in every single round.
Denver has nine selections and is 31 million dollars under the cap. It is likely that Denver won't be able to address ever weakness we have, but we can adequately (look up the definition of the word, in case you don't know it) build towards resurrecting their future.

It is going to take more than one off-season to fix the deficiencies we have on this team. Fans need to be patient and realize this. Unfortunately, most aren't and don't really have a clue how things work -- so posts like yours and many others that I read on a daily basis over the internet on Broncos Forums really aren't that surprising.

Denver is going to use at least one pick on offense in this draft -- and they should. Like I said, don't present a false dilemma. It is just silly.

With the wealth of talent in this years draft and the group of picks we have, Denver can afford to select a back within the top several rounds. I'm not advocating the first-round, not at all -- I'm advocating looking for a very talented back who should be available with our second round selection. I believe there will be a similar run on running backs as there were wide receivers in this past draft. Just a hunch.

It is quite obvious that you're a fan of the draft (damn near 18,000 posts here) -- and I'm almost positive you know about the underclassmen coming into this years draft.

Take into consideration the positions teams need help at, ones they don't and where our value matches up (I did a 4,000 word article for BroncoTalk on this, feel free to go there if you're interested) - and Denver will have absolutely wonderful chances (in my opinion) to get the players necessary to help build this franchise back to a contender.

It will take more than just the draft. That is why there is free agency as well. People just need to stop saying, "We can't afford to take a running back." ********. Those people need to buy a clue or actually start to understand how the NFL works.

Sorry if I'm coming off an an asshole, but I don't take kindly to false dilemmas, logical fallacies and words being put into my mouth.

Just had to stunt. Sorry to burst your bubble NJX.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

The expansion team's GMs took Daniel Graham and Marquand Manuel for their team. Losing Graham's big contract will free up some cap space, and Manuel wasn't exactly playing for vet minimum.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
The expansion team's GMs took Daniel Graham and Marquand Manuel for their team. Losing Graham's big contract will free up some cap space, and Manuel wasn't exactly playing for vet minimum.
What are you talking about?
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
What are you talking about?
They are doing a fantasy off season with the addition of an expansion team.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Yawn, oooooooh boy.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

McDaniels new HC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234
Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default Goodman interview

They had Jim Goodman on the Fan, and one of the interesting things he said was that they were "placing a high emphasis on heart, work ethic and smarts in the evaluation process" (or something to that effect). IMO, that bodes well and lines up with the thinking of our new HC quite nicely.

He also talked up Hillis and Woodyard... even saying Woodyard was considered a team leader by the veterans. Interesting stuff. I knew we were weak on leadership - glad to see some of the young guys bringing that missing ingredient to the table.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
free agency expectations (wishing we'll sign haynesworth, peppers and suggs is not, imo, realistic)?
Veteran NT - doesn't have to be flashy (say, Gabe Watson?). A decent S would also really help.

Quote:
draft wants given a likely 3-4 shift?
Priority will be NT, OLB, S... in whatever order provides the most value. CB is a darkhorse as well, with Bly making too much money and Champ lined up for a big payday once his contract is up despite his ongoing injury problems.

The ILB spots will likely be manned by the members of our existing LB corps who survive the purge (DJ, Woodyard, Larsen?). Similarly, I expect the DE spots to be manned by our existing DT's (Thomas, Peterson).

Quote:
i've very much soured on chris wells after watching more tape, and i've strongly disliked moreno all season. any other thoughts on a running back, someplace?
I think our 3rd rounder would be a good spot start looking for a RB. Some of those 2nd-4th range guys actually fit the "one-cut-and-go" philosophy pretty well... and the retention of Dennison as OL coach indicates we may very well stick with that approach.

Looking at the FA's, Derrick Ward from the Giants might be a decent fit.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
RJB

I don't know why some predict the Broncos will draft Wells. He has injury problems, and we had 7 RB's on IR last season.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJB View Post
I don't know why some predict the Broncos will draft Wells. He has injury problems, and we had 7 RB's on IR last season.
It's all the the translation from big board to mock draft. If you think Wells is a top 10 talent (which many do, though I don't share that opinion), then you start looking at the needs of teams in the top half of the draft order to get a fit. By the time you hit Denver at 12, Wells has value and addresses a need... which makes it a seemingly easy pick.

However, "value" + "need" doesn't necessarily equal "fit". Wells hasn't proven himself to be a pass catcher (a big minus with Jay at QB), he doesn't hit the hole decisively (which is a no-no in a zone scheme) and the durability issues you point to are very discouraging after a year where you had a half-dozen backs out injured.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

The first day of the Expansion Mock Draft is over. I flaked out on FA cuz I've been busy, but I've been making trades to bring in guys and more drafts picks.

1st RD: No one was there at 13th overall, so I traded back with Dallas. Got picks 26th ovrall, 71st ovrall, 117th ovrall, and Marcus Spears. At pick #26, I chose James Laurinaitis to play ILB in the 3-4 scheme.

2nd RD: I ended up with two 2nd RD picks. Traded DJ Williams and Denver's 3rd RD'er for Portland's (the expansion team) 36th ovrall pick in the 2nd RD. At that spot, I took Rashad Johnson. With Denver's 2nd RD pick, I chose Sean Smith.

I also traded for Robert Geathers, Chike Okeafor, and Alan Branch. Traded Elvis Dumerville and Tim Crowder for Geathers and Cincy's 4th RD pick. Traded the 117th ovrall pick for both Okeafor and Branch. Geathers and Okeafor are OLB's, and Branch is depth at DE.

Has Denver's official DC been named yet?

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Mike Nolan is our DC.