Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 PM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
.... what?
Remember the success Rod Woodson had @ CB when he 1st started his career for the Steelers?

I believe Eric Berry is that good if not better. If he falls to the #11 pick I say grab him, but that's my opinion

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
With Williams Green and Bannan our 3-4 front line just got a whole lot formidable, assuming Williams is healthy.
I like these moves, not only because they help address our weaknesses along the lines, but because they take a lot of pressure off on draft day... with some solid veterans holding the fort, we can look to pick DL when the value is good and take the time to develop them properly.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
bigfreak314
Rookie

bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigfreak314 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
rod woodson was, arguably, one of the two best CBs of all time. i don't see that in eric berry. that said, depending on how the board falls, i wuoldn't be opposed to taking him.
Yes but Rod Woodson played in a time where they actually let the CBs play more agressive and physical, which I sorely long for those days again. Now a days they make it almost impossible for CB to become shutdown corners because officials are so flag happy, although Darell Reives is pretty damn close. But that being said I hope Denver gets him b/c they are a good organization who I believe is on the rise. I dont want him to go the way of Nahamdi Amsoughah and get sucked into a bad organization for all his career.
Also doesn't hurt that Berry seems to have a chip on his shoulder already and a personal vendetta to prove to the critics he will be great.

ps I know I butchered his name

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem Morris
Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.
bigfreak314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM    (permalink
crossroads
Rookie

crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver officially signed Jamal Williams
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...line-makeover/

and Jarvis Green
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-to-denver/
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Great news.

Bannan and Green as Ends, with McBean / Peterson back ups, and then Williams at NT with Fields, our DL looks pretty solid assuming Jamal Williams is fully recovered.
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
honestly curious (not just being a sarcastic prick for once), what do you think our draft philosophy actually is?
Based off two free agency periods and one draft my take is this:

We dont ever want to be drafting due to a pressing need. We are using the draft to take players that we believe will excel in the system that we want to run (the smart, tough, intelligent, versatile, blah, blah....). The position they play is of secondary importance to our opinion on how good they can be in the system. A drafted player being able to produce immediately is not that important. Free agency is for plugging holes or immediate needs, and only with guys that are solid or dependable at their position (and not with big ticket players). By spreading the wealth in free agency rather than blowing all our cash on one guy, we ensure that we have a dependable guy at every position before the draft starts. This assures us of being in the position that we dont have to reach for someone or compromise the type of player we are looking for by drafting to fill an immediate need.

Agree or disagree?
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Based on comments from McD and X, it sounded like they were pretty rushed to get ready for the draft last year, which may explain some of the inconsistencies.

I think you'll see the approach X outlined in that video clip in effect come draft day. The fact that "need" is downplayed to some extent could lead to some interesting situations.

Whether that will lead to any good picks is another question entirely.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

It appears the Broncos had a private workout for Tony Pike and Mardy Gilyard

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...e-Gilyard.html

Interesting. I can see why they'd like Gilyard (dangerous slot receiver and return man) and Pike is the kind of tall, smart QB that McD seems to favor.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is that draft from last year looking? I realize that there wasn't a ton of production from the group last year, but I liked Moreno, Ayers, Smith, McBath, and Bruton.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It appears the Broncos had a private workout for Tony Pike and Mardy Gilyard

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...e-Gilyard.html

Interesting. I can see why they'd like Gilyard (dangerous slot receiver and return man) and Pike is the kind of tall, smart QB that McD seems to favor.
This telegraphs the fact that were going for a WR/QB... Although I suppose it was obvious.. but as well as telegraphing it also gives the general round they are focusing on.

My guess is that we are really interested in one of the two and we decided... what the f***.. why not bring in the other one, theyre comfortable with eachother and have a connection. So perhaps we are interested in a quarterback in the 2nd-4th or a WR in the 1st-3rd. I believe that we are more interested in Gilyard, that's just me.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
crossroads
Rookie

crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Broncos cut Andra Davis:

Quote:
Josina Anderson of Fox 31 KDVR in Denver reports the Broncos have released ILB Andra Davis. The Denver Post confirms.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=2595

I really hope this means they're targeting McClain with the 11th pick.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

WTF?!??!?!?!?!??!?!
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Davis - can't cover, has no range and wore down towards the end of the year.

3 possibilities come to mind:

1. Uncapped season abuse - cut him, then resign him for less at no penalty.

2. Kirk Morrison - he's available and Martindale is his old coach

3. BMarsh - trade is in the works, and we're getting a LB in return

I don't think this can be about the draft. Either the team has someone they like on the roster already or they're bringing in an established player via FA/trade.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
see my location in re: moreno. ayers looked awful, but i think he can improve as he learns how to play the position. alphonso smith was absolutely horrific, but again, i guess he can learn how to play nickel at some point. mcbath, i think, can end up as a pretty good S. i don't see him as great, but he should be a pretty solid starter. bruton looks like a great depth/ST guy, but never someone i think will start on defense.
Well that sucks.

As for Moreno, how was the offensive line play? 3.8 YPC isn't absolutely dreaful, although it's not up to par.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i heard a very unsubstantiated rumor about trading BMarsh to the jets for david harris.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Davis - can't cover, has no range and wore down towards the end of the year.

3 possibilities come to mind:

1. Uncapped season abuse - cut him, then resign him for less at no penalty.

2. Kirk Morrison - he's available and Martindale is his old coach

3. BMarsh - trade is in the works, and we're getting a LB in return

I don't think this can be about the draft. Either the team has someone they like on the roster already or they're bringing in an established player via FA/trade.
You don't cut your #2 ILB (especially in a 3-4) before you have somebody to replace him. If the other team backs out, or you can't get Morrison, then you are screwed. His cap # is less than 2 mil...not much savings in releasing him and then signing him back. Especially when you have Jarvis Moss or Chrissy Simms on your roster.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
You don't cut your #2 ILB (especially in a 3-4) before you have somebody to replace him. If the other team backs out, or you can't get Morrison, then you are screwed. His cap # is less than 2 mil...not much savings in releasing him and then signing him back. Especially when you have Jarvis Moss or Chrissy Simms on your roster.
Perhaps wink thinks that haggan can move inside, or that larsen (run downs) and woodyard (passing downs) can hold the fort down if necessary.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
Perhaps wink thinks that haggan can move inside, or that larsen (run downs) and woodyard (passing downs) can hold the fort down if necessary.
that is a huge risk to assume that your former OLB, who was average anyway, can move to ILB, and two guys who has never played ILB in a 3-4 in the NFL can somehow produce. At the cost of less than 2 mil a year...that doesn't make any sense.

Now if they somehow trade Marshall for Harris and change, fine, but you release Davis after the trade. Not before.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
meant to mention... is there some reason moss is still wasting money and roster space?
Good question - has anyone paid attention to how he has done on special teams?

or maybe he has shown enough in practice that he could be productive in Dooms role if Doom ever got hurt.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Larsen and Woodyard can do the job Davis did. Easily. But, that ain't saying much. I thought Davis was terrible the second half of the season.

As far as McClain is concerned, I think he's the pick unless Bradford or Clausen fall. If he's gone, I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
As far as McClain is concerned, I think he's the pick unless Bradford or Clausen fall. If he's gone, I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.
Everything I've read/heard indicates they won't draft like that (i.e. lock in on a position). They have the guys they like and position is more relevant to how they fit the scheme and the inherent positional value.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not insinuating that they will lock onto one position. Like I said, if either Bradford or Clausen fall, they will represent great value and will also be good fits in our scheme. If not, both McClain and Weatherspoon are also good fits and good value. I don't see us reaching for a Dan Williams or a Jared Odrick. And I also don't think we'll take a chance on any headcases (i.e. Dez Bryant or Terrence Cody). I've already stated that my opinion is that we won't take a DB early. Regardless, I don't think a guy like Eric Berry or Joe Haden will fall to us.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.
Agreed. Wouldn't be the worst pick in the world to get him here. Certainly I'd rather have McClain. I honestly wouldn't mind reaching on Iupati at #11. Preferably I'd like to trade down, but still... He's one of my 5 "locks to be a pro=bowler" type guys. I honestly see him ending his career with several pro-bowls and hall of fame consideration. Honestly, it's just a large hunch, but I would not be upset at all to get that guy, even if it was a reach. At least we can be sure that were getting a good player and not another Middlebrooks,Moss, Smith, Lelie type player.

here are the other guys I think are surefire locks to be good-

1) Mike Iupati

2) Jermaine Gresham

3) Eric Berry-

4) Rolando McClain

5) Ryan Matthews

Originally had Earl Thomas on this list. I think he'll be good, I just realized the Mayock kool-aid was probably the reason I was so influenced.

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-13-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

I wouldn't mind Iupati either, depending on who's still on the board. He seems like a perfect fit for our new "power-run-blocking" scheme.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM    (permalink
DenverHerbsman
Rookie

DenverHerbsman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I'm not insinuating that they will lock onto one position. Like I said, if either Bradford or Clausen fall, they will represent great value and will also be good fits in our scheme. If not, both McClain and Weatherspoon are also good fits and good value. I don't see us reaching for a Dan Williams or a Jared Odrick. And I also don't think we'll take a chance on any headcases (i.e. Dez Bryant or Terrence Cody). I've already stated that my opinion is that we won't take a DB early. Regardless, I don't think a guy like Eric Berry or Joe Haden will fall to us.
I agree about both QBs, but do you think Weatherspoon can play inside? If not, it wouldn't be wise to take another outside linebacker in the first round when we took Ayers last year. And if we end up losing Marshall do you think we should consider using one first rounder on Dez Bryant?
DenverHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote