Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
It seems that we are playing a lot of simple base stuff on both sides just to resolve a few starting spots, practicing situational stuff and evaluating which of the backups to keep. We appear to be making very little effort at all to win.
This. Also, lots of injuries so we still haven't seen anything close to our true starting 22 yet.

However, I share njx's concerns about the LB corps. Unless some of the new additions really step up, it will be our weakness this year. This goes beyond just pass rush... the inside play is critical to stopping those long runs that really killed us at the end of last year.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:38 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does any one have any info on if Tebow is playing 2mrw night ? I hope he so I can get a chance to watch him live this week .
Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
Does any one have any info on if Tebow is playing 2mrw night ? I hope he so I can get a chance to watch him live this week .
Orton will play into the third quarter, so with Quinn still in front of Tebow I doubt they will risk him for such a short amount of playing time. Next week he should get almost a half.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think all of you understand why I have had (still have) the most effing enormous man crush on perrish cox for the last 6 months now.

Last edited by Jimmy : 08-29-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ayers may not be a lost cause after all.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Sydquan is making a decent case for Phonz's roster spot. Interesting to see if McD pulls the trigger and cuts him.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
i think all of you understand why I have had (still have) the most effing enormous man crush on perrish cox for the last 6 months now.
That pick has turned out pretty well. Hopefully he can keep out of trouble.

Our secondary is looking like an area of strength. A lot of good young players backing up the savvy veterans.

Quote:
Ayers may not be a lost cause after all.
Agreed - he looks pretty strong out there... which is good because we really need him to step up with Doom out. Hunter (#52), the DE/OLB we picked up from Detriot, also made some nice plays against the Steelers.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Sydquan is making a decent case for Phonz's roster spot. Interesting to see if McD pulls the trigger and cuts him.
Syd'quan better make the roster. He's got potential at CB and can definitely help as a returner while he develops as a defensive player.

I think the team likes Vaughn as well, which definitely makes the decision about who gets cut a difficult one. I think Vaughn ends up on the PS... I don't think they can try that trick with Syd'quan (especially after tonight). My guess is it will end up like this:

4 safeties - Hill, Dawkins, McBath, Bruton
5 corners - Champ, Goodman, Cox, Smith, Thompson

Carter joins Vaughn on the PS. Nate Jones gets cut for being outplayed by rookies.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i would be so happy if we could grow some balls as an organization and cut our losses and get the sting of Alphonso over with before it becomes any more blatantly obvious that he was never worth a 1st round pick, let alone 5th. What does the guy even bring to the table? he's undersized, outmatched physically, too slow, and is mentally handicapped. I was one of those guys who was high on him but at this point.. meh

Last edited by Jimmy : 08-29-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Syd'quan better make the roster. He's got potential at CB and can definitely help as a returner while he develops as a defensive player.

I think the team likes Vaughn as well, which definitely makes the decision about who gets cut a difficult one. I think Vaughn ends up on the PS... I don't think they can try that trick with Syd'quan (especially after tonight). My guess is it will end up like this:

4 safeties - Hill, Dawkins, McBath, Bruton
5 corners - Champ, Goodman, Cox, Smith, Thompson

Carter joins Vaughn on the PS. Nate Jones gets cut for being outplayed by rookies.
I wouldnt disagree or have a problem with what you are saying, though on paper it looks risky to go into a season with a 5th round rookie, a 7th round rookie and a prime candidate for an epic bust as your three back-up corners. Not that Jones is anything even resembling a good corner, but at least he has played in the NFL before.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
i would be so happy if we could grow some balls as an organization and cut our losses and get the sting of Alphonso over with before it becomes any more blatantly obvious that he was never worth a 1st round pick, let alone 5th. What does the guy even bring to the table? he's undersized, outmatched physically, too slow, and is mentally handicapped. I was one of those guys who was high on him but at this point.. meh
I would like to see more before we cut him as I dont think he has been awful so far this preseason - i still hold out that he could become decent. However, it is becoming more difficult to justify keeping a roster spot for him with the two new rookies showing signs.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
I would like to see more before we cut him as I dont think he has been awful so far this preseason - i still hold out that he could become decent.
In fact, he played pretty well tonight. The PI call against him was straight-up ********. I wish he could've finished in the backfield (then we'd be talking about the great night he had) still, his blitzing disrupted the offense and allowed others to make the plays.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my projected 53 man roster.

QB: (2) Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow
RB: (3) Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, Lance Ball
FB: (1) Spencer Larsen
WR: (7) Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matthew Willis
TE: (3) Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Marquez Branson
OL: (8 ) Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, Paul Duncan, Ross Hochstein, Stanley Daniels

DL: (8 ) Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Ryan McBean, Ronald Fields, Jarvis Green, Marcus Thomas, LeKevin Smith, Chris Baker
LB: (8 ) D.J. Williams, Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss, Wesley Woodyard, Mario Haggan, Joe Mays, Jason Hunter, Elvis Dumervil
CB: (6) Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Perrish Cox, Alphonso Smith, Syd'Quan Thompson, Nate Jones
S: (4) Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Darcel McBath, David Bruton

ST: (3) Matt Prater, Britton Colquitt, Lonnie Paxton

Suspended: LenDale White

~
Close Calls:
Brady Quinn
Seth Olsen
Eric Olsen
Baraka Atkins

Last edited by CT Bronco Fan : 08-30-2010 at 10:14 PM.
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fargas cut, lol
Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm all in for keeping thompson around. and even in his limited action tonight, alphonso was bound and determined to prove he doesn't have any business holding a roster spot in this league.

on the other hand, it should be blindingly obvious that tebow's throwing motion won't ever change, given that he actually regressed from the first game.

i'm a little upset about ball having a few good runs. he's not final roster material (yes, i get the injury thing), but now he'll probably end up making it. to be fair, though, i'd rather keep him than lendale/fargas.

kyle orton... y'all were right. i hadn't had a chance to actually see him throwing, but his arm looks a million times better.

impressive catch aside, brandon lloyd needs to be cut. i don't like his routes. i don't trust his hands. i think he's a douchebag on the field. i could go on.

sad to say, but outside of ayers, our linebackers were garbage. dj williams was/is absolutely horrible. he has no idea what to do in a zone, his first step is wrong on 97% of the snaps he's in for. **** shanahan for ruining one of the best WLBs in the league.
I think Lendale stays. The short yardage thing is too important a facet of the game that knowshon and buck just arent suited for. On that - I liked the push the o-line got on the 2-yd rushing td. Especially Walton, which is encouraging.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
Here is my projected 53 man roster.
Comments:

QB - I'd *like* to see Quinn get cut, but coaches always seem to feel the need to have a vet backup, even if he sucks donkey balls like Quinn/Simms.

WR - I'm not sure Stokely will make it. 6 WR's is just fine, particularly if the return game is in the hands of the DB's

OL - I think Hochstein could be in trouble. Daniels wasn't too bad vs Pitt and Hochstein hasn't been getting much of a push in the running game. I think they are taking a very close look at Russ... it will be interesting to see what happens in the last preseason game.

DB - you've got Nate Jones on the list but also a "close call". If we only carry 9 DB's, I think he's gone
Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
sad to say, but outside of ayers, our linebackers were garbage.
I don't think it was *that* bad, but yes, there was some awful tackling by the LB corps.

Quote:
dj williams was/is absolutely horrible. he has no idea what to do in a zone, his first step is wrong on 97% of the snaps he's in for. **** shanahan for ruining one of the best WLBs in the league.
I still think DJ would thrive as a WOLB in a 4-3. His game is all about pursuit. Playing inside exposes his lack of football instincts/IQ.

IMO, we need a real field general *and* a big thumper inside. Wouldn't be surprised if we picked up multiple inside guys in the next draft.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Comments:

QB - I'd *like* to see Quinn get cut, but coaches always seem to feel the need to have a vet backup, even if he sucks donkey balls like Quinn/Simms.

WR - I'm not sure Stokely will make it. 6 WR's is just fine, particularly if the return game is in the hands of the DB's

OL - I think Hochstein could be in trouble. Daniels wasn't too bad vs Pitt and Hochstein hasn't been getting much of a push in the running game. I think they are taking a very close look at Russ... it will be interesting to see what happens in the last preseason game.

DB - you've got Nate Jones on the list but also a "close call". If we only carry 9 DB's, I think he's gone
Ah yea, I added him back because of Fargas getting cut.

I could see Hochstien getting cut if they wanted to go with one of the Olsens for sure. I think Quinn likely will make it, but I can't justify putting him on my roster lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

My final shot at this after tonights game.

Cuts: Blue = Practice Squad

DL Ben Garland
DL Jeff Stehle
LB Worrell Williams
LB Kevin Alexander
LB Jammie Kirlew
LB Johnny Williams
OL D`Anthony Batiste
OL Seth Olsen
S Kyle McCarthy
TE Rair Greer
TE Nathan Overbay
TE Kory Sperry
WR Alric Arnett
WR Britt Davis
RB Bruce Hall
LB Baraka Atkins
DL Marcus Thomas
OL Ross Hochstien
CB Nate Jones

Final Roster:
QB: (3) Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Brady Quinn
HB: (3) Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, Lance Ball
FB: (1) Spencer Larsen
WR: (7) Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matthew Willis
TE: (3) Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Marquez Branson
OL: (8 ) Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, Paul Duncan, Stanley Daniels, Eric Olsen

DL: (7) Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Ryan McBean, Jarvis Green, Ronald Fields, LeKevin Smith, Chris Baker
LB: (8 ) D.J. Williams, Mario Haggan, Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss, Wesley Woodyard, Joe Mays, Jason Hunter, Elvis Dumervil
CB: (6) Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Perrish Cox, Alphonso Smith, Syd`Quan Thompson, Cassius Vaughn
S: (4) Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, David Bruton, Darcel McBath

ST: (3) Matt Prater, Britton Colquitt, Lonnie Paxton

Injury Reserve:
Darrell Reid

Suspended Reserve:
LenDale White
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
as much as i think lendale is garbage (hard for me to admit about a guy i almost played against in high school), i hope we drop smith for him, based on your chart (which looks like a fairly good estimation to me).
i had warmed to lendale as well - guess it doesnt matter anymore with that achilles injury.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Looks like Dumervil might end up on IR, which would then probably open the spot up for Baraka Atkins on the roster.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default Roster cuts

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...e-2a25f1086951

Quote:
Wide receiver Alric Arnett, defensive lineman Chris Baker, offensive lineman Paul Duncan, linebackers Jammie Kirlew and Johnny Williams and tight ends Kory Sperry and Nathan Overbay were waived on Friday.
Nothing too surprising there. Baker is probably the most notable casualty as many thought he was a steal as a UDFA.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

I've seen/heard reports that Darrell Reid has been cut, but I don't have a source link. He was out of the picture with an injury anyway, so that's not much of a loss.

Ah, here's a link:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/390053...s-player_news/
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

Jarvis Green and Brandon Stokley cut.

Stokley doesn't shock me all that much, but Green getting cut I didn't see coming at all.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Green couldn't win a starting spot in the 3-man front. IMO, once we brought in Hunter who can play with his hand down in a 4-man front, Green became expendable.

I always felt Stokely was in trouble. We've got plenty of young talent at WR, and with the return duties probably covered by DB's, 6 receivers is plenty

I also saw somewhere that Britt Davis was cut, but no confirmation yet. Other rumor was that Branson is going on IR... which would leave us very thin at TE.