Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Also I didn't get to watch, but I'm pretty sure I saw the one good run by Knowshon that he talked about. And damn is he slow. Like he looked like a high school RB. Zero explosion on that. WTF.
This is sort of true, but in his defense there were never any actual holes for him to hit at full speed. It pretty much looked like he had to hesitate for a second when he got the ball to try and figure out where (if anywhere) a hole was going to open up. The ZBS was much better for backs to just hit holes at full speed.

I know njx wont believe me, but I thought DJ actually looked pretty good out there today. He did some nice things in coverage, showed good speed in limiting damage once the back got past the line, and even blew up MJD on the 4th and inches by actually anticipating where the play was going to be and getting there on time. It is refreshing to see that our top 4 tacklers were the 4 linebackers, as opposed to it normally being our safeties and corners leading the count. The only downside is Mario looks pretty slow out there, and cant cover for ****.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i don't *not* believe you, but i have a hard time believing you. =P
LOL. I can confirm what Tim is saying - DJ played pretty well. He and Ayers were the bright spots on the defense.

As an aside, I went back and watching some parts of the game again and noticed that, at times, the defense had a hard time getting lined up. There seemed to be some confusion on who was supposed to go where, even on the part of savvy veterans like Dawkins. Working out that kind of stuff is the purpose of TC / preseason, but apparently between the slew of injuries and the extra rest given to the old timers, the D is still very much a work in progress.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
LOL. I can confirm what Tim is saying - DJ played pretty well. He and Ayers were the bright spots on the defense.

As an aside, I went back and watching some parts of the game again and noticed that, at times, the defense had a hard time getting lined up. There seemed to be some confusion on who was supposed to go where, even on the part of savvy veterans like Dawkins. Working out that kind of stuff is the purpose of TC / preseason, but apparently between the slew of injuries and the extra rest given to the old timers, the D is still very much a work in progress.
Did you see what happened on the first TD to Lewis (I think the first). The one where Vickerson ran off right before it was snapped? Did we have ten men on the field? It seemed like no-one on the defense had a clue what the **** was going on in that play.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
Did you see what happened on the first TD to Lewis (I think the first). The one where Vickerson ran off right before it was snapped? Did we have ten men on the field? It seemed like no-one on the defense had a clue what the **** was going on in that play.
yep, definitely had ten men on the field.

this is a team that, given the general lack of proven playmakers, can ill-afford to make those kinds of mistakes. hopefully there won't be too many games this season where we beat ourselves....otherwise it will be a long year
Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'm stoked to hear that our defense had no idea what was going on. it makes me really happy that we pushed nolan out. god forbid our players, after a major transition (43 to 34), have enough time in one version of the system to actually learn it.
As an aside, McD said that he would've run the 4-3 if there pieces were there, but since they had to start from pretty much scratch anyway, they chose to go with the 3-4.

It speaks volumes that at the end of Shanahan's tenure, we didn't have the personnel needed for *any* NFL defensive scheme. Simply mindboggling.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Broncos acquired RB Laurence Maroney and a 6th round pick from the Patriots for a 4th round pick.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
it is sad, and i sort of agree. we had a will in the 43 and a rush in the 34, and jack **** else in the front seven. seems like so long ago (though, i guess 12 years is a long time) since we had alfred williams, neil smith, trevor pryce and robert traylor dominating the LOS, and an actual competent linebacker group (romo and mobley) behind them. amazing to me how quickly shanahan lost it in the front office.
Not paying Berry or Hayward was the beginning of the downfall. It's hard to believe how shortsighted those moves were. Pass rushers are a precious commodity. We didn't replace them with anyone.

Since we're fondly reminiscing about the old days:

Broncos 2003 Draft

1 - George Foster, Georgia
2 - Terry Pierce, Kansas State
4 - Quentin Griffin, Oklahoma
4 - Nicholas Eason, Clemson
4 - Bryant McNeal, Clemson
5 - Ben Claxton, Mississippi
5 - Adrian Madise, Texas Christian
6 - Aaron Hunt, Texas Tech
7 - Clint Mitchell, Florida
7 - Ahmaad Galloway, Alabama

A thing of beauty, in a perverse, Bizarro-World kinda way...
Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
are you ******* kidding me? a 4th round pick for that piece of garbage? he'll actually make our running game WORSE. god i ******* hate mcdaniels.
He knows the system and, at times, played well under McDaniels. I've got very mixed feelings about it. I wanted the Broncos to draft him back in 2006 instead of Cutler, but his injuries and fumbling in the NFL make it difficult to like this move.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Not paying Berry or Hayward was the beginning of the downfall. It's hard to believe how shortsighted those moves were. Pass rushers are a precious commodity. We didn't replace them with anyone.

Since we're fondly reminiscing about the old days:

Broncos 2003 Draft

1 - George Foster, Georgia
2 - Terry Pierce, Kansas State
4 - Quentin Griffin, Oklahoma
4 - Nicholas Eason, Clemson
4 - Bryant McNeal, Clemson
5 - Ben Claxton, Mississippi
5 - Adrian Madise, Texas Christian
6 - Aaron Hunt, Texas Tech
7 - Clint Mitchell, Florida
7 - Ahmaad Galloway, Alabama

A thing of beauty, in a perverse, Bizarro-World kinda way...
I really liked Q - the kinda guy you want to succeed.

I had to google Terry Pierce. I cant for the life of me remember him even existing.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Saw a quote from Xanders that I need to remember next time some knob in the general forum spouts off about how McDaniels ruined the Broncos when he took over from Shanny. It basically cites the fact that the Broncos released 32 players from the 2008 roster and practice squad that never again played in the NFL.

At least now when we release players someone else picks them up.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Saw a quote from Xanders that I need to remember next time some knob in the general forum spouts off about how McDaniels ruined the Broncos when he took over from Shanny. It basically cites the fact that the Broncos released 32 players from the 2008 roster and practice squad that never again played in the NFL.

At least now when we release players someone else picks them up.
don't tell that to shiver. he doesn't care
Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Quote:
i still have never understood why everyone thought dumping shanahan was the best possible move for denver. sure, it sucked losing a great qb and a great wr. but we were *never* going to be better than 9-7/10-6 with him around.
did you mean to say you never understood why everyone thought dumping shanahan was the worst possible move?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
so i think i finally understand why moreno sucks. dude has the worst vision of any starting running back i've ever seen. the 2nd and goal play in the 2nd quarter? makes a terrible cutback to run into the 4 defenders who were standing there waiting. the long screen pass? makes a horrendous cut to avoid going all the way. dude has absolutely no idea where to run to.

on the other hand, i ******* love thomas. if he can keep this up, i won't even remember brandon marshall's name in two months.
I am excited and completely disheartened at the same time.

I love how our passing offense played today. Great clock control to keep our lousy defense off the field, great third down conversion, Thomas looks awesome, Royal, Lloyd and Gaffney also look really good, and Orton is really playing well.

I still cant decide if our running game is Moreno and Bucks fault or not. I agree Know is missing yards that are available, but we really do a terrible job at opening things up for him. It seems to be play-calling more than execution, but it may be that both suck. Apparently we pass the ball to gain yards, and run it to eat up the clock and give players a rest.

It seems we cant cover punts, and have no ability to gain yards on punt returns. This is very concerning.

I had high hopes for the run defense being improved this year with the o-line additions. I also hoped that Ayers and Moss could at least look threatening in passing situations. I hoped that our defensive backs could play as well as last year. Turns out I was wrong on all accounts. Apparently teams can three and five- step drop us to death and we cant do anything to stop them.

I think that Hasselbecks play in the first half as well as that punt fumble had more to do with us winning that anything else. We appear to be a team that can be competitive with most, but really need the turnovers and penalties to go our way if we are going to win.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Our running game wasn't bad today. The stats tell a bit of a lie, as we had some awful runs at the end when it really didn't matter anymore.

We did take a few significant hits in the backfield, though, where there were multiple Seattle players on the RB immediately after the handoff. That should not happen. I'll chalk that up to the OL still being a patchwork unit.

I was encouraged by our interior tandem of Daniels and Walton, though - on that first rushing TD Daniels handled his guy effectively and then Walton blasted the LB deep into the endzone.

The simple fact is this is a passing team. The old Erhardt-Perkins mantra of "pass to score, run to win" is in full effect. And why not? We've got a great stable of receivers and even our current makeshift line is quite capable of pass blocking.

My main concern is still the front seven, particularly the interior play. We really have no difference makers up front right now. One impact DL and/or LB would make a huge difference.

Last edited by Diehard : 09-19-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:48 AM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Royal and DT looked awesome.

Champ might be out for Indy which has to be really scary...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys signed Diyral Briggs to your PS today. I think you'll like his potential. I think he could have a legit shot at seeing time on your 53 if he continues to show as he had with the 49ers this offseason.

Last edited by phlysac : 09-21-2010 at 06:35 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
You guys signed Diyral Briggs to your PS today. I think you'll like his potential. I think he could have a legit shot at seeing time on your 53 if he continues to show as he had with the 49ers this offseason.

what more can you tell us? seems he is a pass-rushing linebacker, but is a liability against the run, or in coverage???
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moreno doesn't look like he's improved at all? I know it's only a highlight, but I never saw that kind of explosiveness from him on the screen pass before. Thomas made a heck of a play to backpedal and wrap him up to prevent 6...

?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

I am still not convinced how much is his fault and how much is the play-calling/o-line. You look at a guy like Foster in Houston, or any of the old Broncos backs in the Shanny days who were successful straight away - all they are told to do is grab the football and as soon as you see a cutback lane hit it as hard as you can.

this power **** we are playing right now, with o-lineman that are far from dominant in power run blocking, is not that simple. I see Moreno get panned for not hitting holes hard enough, and I see him getting panned for not being patient enough, and I see him getting panned for not having the vision to see the right holes. This is not the Broncos ZBS where the holes look like the entry to the eisenhower tunnel - I think it is just more a case of the holes are never in the same place or time when we run the same play, and they are never that big. I dont doubt that some of this is in his head as well, as he is probably over-thinking things rather than just trusting his instincts, but I think writing him off is not fair.

There were a couple of nice plays, especially early on sunday, and I thought he looked good. He is never going to be a breakaway game-changer, but he had some good 5 -10 yard runs that is exactly what we need (as well as the screen pass plays). After that, it seemed he was getting hit in the backfield more often than not. He needs to better, and it would be nice if he was quite a lot better - but a good portion of that will come IMO with the o-line getting healthy, better and more experienced (in the case of JD and Zane).
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Now Moreno is out this week against the Colts. This year is turning into a ******* disaster injury wise. Oh well njx, it looks like we get to see this week how bad Maroney is.

I am also starting to think we will soon be in the market for a RT - Harris just looks like he will become one of those guys that never stays healthy.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
what more can you tell us? seems he is a pass-rushing linebacker, but is a liability against the run, or in coverage???
He has limited experience at both. He was barely over 230lbs last season when he was signed as a UDFA out of Bowling Green. He was a speed rusher ONLY. He has since bulked up to over 250 and is getting more comfortable in space. He has improved dramatically in coverage. He even had an interception this preseason. He still is inconsistent setting the edge in the run game as he has yet to get comfortable with his added strength. He is far from a safe bet to ever make an impact but if he continues to improve as he has the past year, I see no reason he shouldn't, at least, become a serviceable 3-4 OLB reserve.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
he's totally going to run for 180/3 and then i'll have to root for him.
how about 20 odd yards on 12 carries, with 3 attempts for zero yards at the one?

I hate our ******* run game.

How do we pass for 476 yards for 1 TD?

Now we go off to get smashed on two very hard road games.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Poor execution cost us the game, pure and simple. The fumbled return, INT and firing blanks in the end zone were the architects of defeat.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

**** off, maroney
Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So like...Peyton Hillis is better than any RB you have on the roster.