Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
A new coach should get 3 years to build his team, especially when you completely rebuild it the way Josh McDaniels and Raheem Morris have done. 2-5 sucks but (close) losses to the Colts and Jets are understandable especially with all the injuries on both sides of the ball. On the other hand, the Ravens and Raiders (blowout) losses should never happen.

The second half of the schedule is way easier but even if they keep struggling, McD should get a 3rd year. Having Moreno, DT, Kuper, Harris, Doom, Ayers, Dawkins, Goodman all missing significant time is a huge reason for 2-5.
Raheem Morris completely rebuilt the team because he had to. It was aging, and the cupboard was left pretty bare by Gruden. McD, on the other hand, had a fairly solid team in place. Lots of pieces were there. A 25 year old Pro Bowl QB, a dominant young WR, really only the defense had to be overhauled, that and the offensive line. If we could have improved the interior OL and the redzone playcalling from the year before, we'd have been golden.

When he retooled the defense, which was awful, good things happened. It was pretty clear that Mike Nolan knew what he was doing with the defense. So McD let him walk...

We had franchise cornerstones at QB and WR, and a defensive co-ordinator that made a defense with little talent into a dominant unit for the first few weeks before tailing off. He got rid of them all. Yes, I know there are quotes dating back years about Brandon Marshall wanting the hell out of Denver. But we all saw how happy he was while the team was winning. I don't think he'd have been such a malcontent if the team didn't implode at the end of the year.

Bottom line is we're much worse now than we were then. It isn't age catching up to players, it's McDaniels replacing our best players with inferior ones. Yes, the team is deeper, as has been pointed out. But you can't win with just depth. Depth is a very important part of the puzzle, teams win championships with a combination of great players and depth. But ask yourself, which players are harder to find? Franchise QBs and elite WRs, or adequate replacements if a guy goes down with an injury/fresh legs to rotate in when starters get tired?

PS we still aren't that deep. Just look at what happened when Doom went down.

If, after 2 seasons, a team is worse off now than they'd have been by keeping their old coach, I think it's time to part ways. If this team can't show that they can compete, week in and week out, and start winning games, then it's time to say goodbye to Josh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel terrible for all the blokes in england who came to this game expecting to see professional football. What a boring game between two extremely mediocre teams.

edit after half time: game got a lot better obviously

On another note... This is the worst Broncos team I can ever remember in my short 19 year life. Maybe the 1999 or 2000 team was worse... maybe... but this team rivals it. The only positive twist I can see is that for once my team will likely have a top 7 pick in the draft. Maybe we can land the superstar we so desperately need.

My question is.. lets say we get the 5-7th pick in the draft. what is our most pressing need? what do we draft?

I think Da'Quan Bowers may be the safest pick. But do you guys prefer clayborn? Whether or bowers fits in the 3-4 is almost irrelevant since we are just as likely to be running the 4-3 next year with a new head coach. thoughts?

Last edited by Jimmy : 10-31-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

deep to lloyd. the only thing we've done well this season. and yet it took us a half to go to him.

edit: and with that, Lloyd has broken his career high receiving yards in a season

Last edited by Jimmy : 10-31-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:16 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
I think Da'Quan Bowers may be the safest pick. But do you guys prefer clayborn? Whether or bowers fits in the 3-4 is almost irrelevant since we are just as likely to be running the 4-3 next year with a new head coach. thoughts?
It's hard to care given the pathetic state of this organization.

Anyway, a lot of our pieces are better suited to a 4-3, but Doom is not which creates a big problem. Maybe he plays a SLB role similar to what Julian Peterson used to do in Seattle? I don't know.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just thinking about what a bunch of ******* and pussies this team has turned into is pissing me off to no end. **** McD, that **** looks totally lost on the sidelines. It would bring me great satisfaction to see his ******* throat slashed and eyes gouged out.

There. I feel better now. For a moment, at least.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

The moves made on the defensive side of the ball are particularly galling, as we brought in a lot of veteran guys who have little to no value if we go into full rebuild mode.

There's a lot of youth on offense, so we could be okay there if we found a QB who didn't crumble under pressure.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
meh. we have some WR talent, maybe. we have a LT. and we 'have' tebow.

i think beadles is trash. walton might be ok if he wasn't a starter. but that's about all i see there.

and the worst part is, i really like all three of the top qbs for us this year. and we won't draft any of them because we have a guy we won't even let throw the football.
luck would be awesome, but i'm not sure why you'd be excited about the other two qbs. locker seems like a project (albeit less of one than tebow) and mallett reminds me too much of cutler.

at this point i'm hoping we draft a stud on defense, a guy like dareus, peterson, amukamara, ect.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
mallett is my low in the group, but i think he's coachable. i love locker and think he's 60x the player luck is. and i like luck, but he has a pretty limited ceiling, imo.

the few times i've seen alabama, dareus has looked like ****. unmotivated, lazy, and just counting the days until he gets paid. now, i haven't seen a lot of alabama games, so maybe i just saw the wrong ones. i don't think drafting a corner in the top 5 does anything for us.

*shrug*

as of now, it basically has to be a DL, imo. i don't see any way we can continue to neglect the position. there won't be a linebacker worth a pick that high, but that'd likely be my 2nd round pick.

though, as i think about it, it really doesn't make any difference. there are so many holes, that we're looking at at least a 3 year rebuilding process (unless we get *really* lucky in FA). i guess i'd change my opinion to "BPA unless BPA is at an offensive skill position, then go to the next BPA".
i'm not sure if mallett is that "coachable". maybe his decision making can be improved, but i see him as a guy who will always lack touch and have heavy feet. but who cares, it's a moot point

dareus has been nursing an ankle sprain that he suffered earlier in the year, that might explain some of what you saw. i've still seen a lot of good things from him. out of the top three dline prospects, i think he's the most natural fit at the five tech

i know taking a cb that high isn't ideal, but if peterson and amukamara are the best prospects available then i'd be fine with taking one of them instead of reaching on someone else
Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 AM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have lost my will to discuss such things as the future of this team. Perhaps in the offseason I will get excited about football again.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
I have lost my will to discuss such things as the future of this team. Perhaps in the offseason I will get excited about football again.
A demoralized team just going through the motions, pretty much expecting to lose, is a fan's worst nightmare. Yet that is what we have and will likely continue to have until the end of the season.

I don't begrudge any fan who chooses to do something more productive with their time on Sunday afternoon.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

The most frustrating thing (at least to me) is that every single position outside of left tackle and "Doom" needs an upgrade. Bailey will be gone next season anyways, and likely Dawk to retirement.

What is most frustrating is that there is no easy solution to this problem. We will draft players that fill in our most pressing needs, and half of those players will amount to nothing. Of the players that succeed, we will still need to bring in a bunch of other players just to win 8 games, since the players that we deemed "not necessary to replace in the draft" are still mediocre at best.

If you ask me, this is at least a 5-7 year rebuilding project, because half of our ****ing team is comprised of youngsters of whom we still need to give another 2-3 years to prove that they aren't worth squat.

Worse case, we may loose 83 games in the next 7 years like the Raiders of last decade, but the only thing we can do as Broncos fans is to support and remain loyal. After all, there's no point in rooting for the team when we win superbowls if we just ditch when they suck. Lets all hang in there, for all we know, Tebow decides teaching is his passion, and then the next Elway could be right around the corner.

Realistically, we're probably doomed, but there's always hope. Stay loyal.

Last edited by Jimmy : 11-01-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even McXanders isn't as bad as Al Davis...Hold your heads up Bronco fans.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
A demoralized team just going through the motions, pretty much expecting to lose, is a fan's worst nightmare. Yet that is what we have and will likely continue to have until the end of the season.

I don't begrudge any fan who chooses to do something more productive with their time on Sunday afternoon.
I am still going to watch, I will still get excited when we score or make a big play, I will still swear when we **** up, or the other team does something good, or the ref calls a chop block when our RB is trying to get out of his QBs way.

I just cant gather the will to discuss what is going wrong, or how to fix it, or blah, blah. Thinking about this stuff just does my head in at the moment. I need to just watch games on sundays and then pretend football doesnt exist until the next sunday. For some ******* reason though I keep reading stuff about why we lost another ******* game. It is a bad habit I need to break.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:44 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

So which sucks more? This season, where we have no hope?

Or the last two seasons, where we had so much hope that we were in the playoffs barring an absolutely catastrophic meltdown of historical significance and then doing just that?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
So which sucks more? This season, where we have no hope?

Or the last two seasons, where we had so much hope that we were in the playoffs barring an absolutely catastrophic meltdown of historical significance and then doing just that?
At least we have some peace of mind, and at least our hearts won't be broken this year. And I can almost promise all of you that you will be happier by the end of week 17 this year. At least we have that top 10 pick looking like a godsend. Honestly. When was the last time we had a top 10 pick that we truly earned?

In any event, I may have been naive to believe we were a top 5 team after a 6-2 start last year, but I was in a lot more pain week 14 last year than I will be this year.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:05 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
At least we have some peace of mind, and at least our hearts won't be broken this year. And I can almost promise all of you that you will be happier by the end of week 17 this year. At least we have that top 10 pick looking like a godsend. Honestly. When was the last time we had a top 10 pick that we truly earned?

In any event, I may have been naive to believe we were a top 5 team after a 6-2 start last year, but I was in a lot more pain week 14 last year than I will be this year.
Not just 6-2, 6-0!

I never thought we were top 5, but winning that 6th game made me believe in the team. I was expecting us to be absolute dog ****, and so when we won the first one i was like, great, 1-15. Even at 5-0 I wasn't sold. 6-0? Yeah, looked at the schedule and saw that 4-6 the rest of the way and a playoff berth would have been a disappointment. I saw another 6 wins there, easy. And instead we went on 2 separate 4 game losing streaks, and **** the bed in the last game, when we were still alive going in. FML.

Season before was awful too. 3 game lead with 3 to go. I was so excited to finally see Cutler in the playoffs... FML.

Even this season getting a premium pick will suck. We're gonna be in range for a QB I think, but we can't take one because we have NO IDEA what Tebow looks like. I think we absolutely need to give Tebow some starts at the end of the season, just enough to see if we have anything at all to work with there or if we should have him work on a new position.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Nothing sucks worse than a season where the players give up... and that is what seems to have happened. To me, that's a sign of rotten leadership.

Tebow definitely needs to get some time on the field. The thing is McD isn't going to play him until he is absolutely, mathematically certain we can't win the AFC West. Right now, that looks like it could be wrapped up quickly, but every time one of our division foes loses it will create that little glimmer of false hope. You see Tebow is McD's final hand, and he's not going to be keen to play it. McD knows he's immediately dead in the water if Tebow doesn't play well.

The most important upgrades are the core of the defense: DL, ILB and S. Of course, these have been the most important upgrades for about four years now. If McBath can avoid injury, I think he has one safety spot nailed down... but the other is up for grabs.

Speaking of injuries, they are killing this team. All the lost time in TC is showing up on the field now. The defense is finally healing up a bit, though some of those players (e.g. Goodman) still look like they're not ready to go.

Anyway, not a fun time to be a Broncos fan. A coping strategy: if you simply expect everything to go wrong, you won't be disappointed when it does.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default A ray of light in the darkness...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16523671

Quote:
Ellis added that Bowlen is confident McDaniels can turn around the Broncos, but he stopped short of guaranteeing the coach would return next season.
My read is that McD needs to really turn things around in the second half of the season or he's gone.

Enjoy the hotseat, Josh.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16523671

My read is that McD needs to really turn things around in the second half of the season or he's gone.

Enjoy the hotseat, Josh.
I predict we will beat the Chiefs next week, go 4-4 down the stretch and Josh will keep his job.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
I predict we will beat the Chiefs next week, go 4-4 down the stretch and Josh will keep his job.
A bold prediction. The confidence difference between the Chiefs and Broncos right now is huge. The Broncos are just expecting / waiting for something to go wrong. When you have that mindset, you will lose.

4-4 may be enough to save McD. However, if the team gives up again (ala the Raiders game), he's pretty much done regardless of record.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

So we are playing the best running team in the NFL and our leading tackler has just been done for his second DUI. If would be quite annoyed if I still cared about how we did this season.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

When it rains...

It will be interesting to see if the team actually shows up for this game. I suspect McD is pretty much done if they don't.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
When it rains...

It will be interesting to see if the team actually shows up for this game. I suspect McD is pretty much done if they don't.
I think it will actually be a good game. Without Ayers, and possibly DJ, we are going to struggle to contain them on the ground (at least Vickerson is back), though even if all healthy we would struggle.

I am interested to see how Beadles does at LG, and a hopefully now healthy Harris at RT. This is our best line, and with a now healthy Moreno, the offense doesnt really have any excuses (i.e. if we cant move the ball this week then we are just not able to move the ball against a decent defense period).

Hali is a worry - I predict we might get a few holding calls this week trying to stop him from killing Orton.

I honestly think we will either win this or go very close. If we dont, then I suspect you are right and McDaniels will be very close to the edge.