Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way I see it, we need talent and playmakers on our defense. Period. We don't have enough of them. I'd be happy with either Peterson or Fairley. I don't think Bowers and Dareus are worth #2, and I'm not convinced our DE situation is anywhere near as bad as DT and DB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think our LBs are the worst line of the defense. The secondary will look better if the front 4 can put pressure on the QB, and the front 4 will be better if Doom is there to provide a pass-rush. In a 4-3, Ayers, Bannan, etc. will be much, much less of a negative influence on our def performance IMO than Mays and Haggan will be. Hopefully the answer at LB is in FA, or else we can hope we get a guy in the second that can contribute right away. Otherwise, I dont think it matters if we get a stud DT or CB, as we will suck great big donkey balls.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Xanders on the Fan talking about the deal with Champ:

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/a...spx?ID=1368603

Some interesting stuff in there about the new defense. He also described the player they are looking for at #2 in the draft: disruptive playmaker, gets tfl's and sacks, loves football, wants to be a Bronco for next 15 years.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Wow. I really thought he wanted a championship. The loyalty of that guy. So awesome.
Weren't people trying to report how he put his house up for sale and how that meant he didn't want to play for Denver anymore? Just shows you how the media can huff up any story and read into it what they want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i don't buy that at all. i think the talent level drops off FAR less sharply on the DL (for a 43) than it does at any other position in the entire draft. i think there will be 1st round caliber 43 players available in the 2nd round this year. and i don't believe that fairley or dareus are anywhere near suh-level (or even mccoy-level) prospects.
You are fooling yourself if you don't think Fairley is "anywhere near McCoy-level". That's just a silly thing to say.

Due to this draft having a strong DL class, there will most definitely be a run on lineman throughout the first round. There is no guarantee that any of these 1st round caliber prospects will drop to us. In my opinion, I would say it's more likely that 1st round caliber prospects of other positions are more likely to drop, due to said run.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To compound on njx9's point, don't forget that 4-3 UT has become a position that falls in the draft bc of the demand of the 3-4.

You can most likely grab Nevis with your 2nd rounder. I much rather go Peterson in the 1st and Nevis in the 2nd.

CBs are like pass rushers. You can never have enough. And how great would it be for Peterson to learn under Champ Bailey?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To compound on njx9's point, don't forget that 4-3 UT has become a position that falls in the draft bc of the demand of the 3-4.

You can most likely grab Nevis with your 2nd rounder. I much rather go Peterson in the 1st and Nevis in the 2nd.

CBs are like pass rushers. You can never have enough. And how great would it be for Peterson to learn under Champ Bailey?
Good points BBD. Definitely, the most attractive thing about drafting PP, imo, is not his atheletic ability. It's that Champ Bailey would have a worthy protoge (for once). I think the sky is the limit for PP were he to learn under Champ Bailey.

With that said, I still think that having two stud DBs is more of a luxury than a necessity. Not to mention, I think that some of the DBs that could fall into the second round are more than competent (e.g. CU's Jimmy Smith or Aaron Williams).

This train of thought may be overplayed, but I think the game is still won at the trenches. If we can get a strong push on the DL, it will naturally play in favor of ALL of our DBs. The more I read about Bowers, the more I want him. He seems to be the best of the bunch on the DL. Size, speed, pass rush, and run support. He seems to have Julius Peppers upside. My only concern with him is injury related. Hopefully, he's a player who can stay healthy.

For reasons that NJX gave, I would not want Fairley. He seems immature and I don't see him working hard enough to maximize his potential. But I do like Dareus. The guy's a beast and has had consistent production in college. And DT is a bigger need than DE anyway.

That's why personally it's a toss-up between Bowers and Dareus for me. But I wouldn't be bummed if we got Peterson or Fairley either. All four of them are great players.

EDIT: BBD, I also agree with your signature that Amare is better than Bosh. Like Durant said, Bosh is a fake tough guy LOL. With that said, I just noticed that I still have my signature from like 4 years ago. How embarassing, we don't have Melo or AI now.

Congrats on getting Melo. No matter what all the haters say, he took the Nuggets to the playoffs every single year. And you got Chauncey Billups. He's a true winner.

Projected win total: 55+

Last edited by Namy : 02-23-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i just don't buy it. fairley is lazy and 'stupid' on the field (dumb penalties and mental mistakes). mccoy was very nearly on a level with suh, as far as i'm concerned, and fairley isn't anywhere near any of them. in watching auburn last year and texas/nebraska the year before, there isn't a single thing that i think fairley does as well as either of the guys last year.

further, what run on 43 defensive linemen? most of the league runs a 34 now. do you think they're all as bad at drafting as mcxanders was (see: ayers, robert)?
So was Suh lazy and stupid when he took several personal fouls last year? Nick Fairley was the most dominant DT in college football last year and helped his team to a national title. Don't be so quick to write him off because of a few dumb penalties.

And I'd say most of these lineman are not system-specific. Bowers and Fairley maybe, but beyond that it's a very versatile DL group.

edit: also, do you really think bowlen will invest as much as 90 million in two cornerbacks? not likely in my opinion.

WELCOME REALITY

Last edited by jCut : 02-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
lolwut?

there will be a rookie wage scale in place.
LOLZ

At this point there isn't a CBA in place, let alone a rookie wage scale.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
... right. so i'm assuming that, since the rookie salaries benefit no one, it will be taken care of in the new CBA. but hey, fair enough. you're right, it's unlikely that bowlen will want to tie up $238947329847329498237 in the cornerback position. *eyeroll*
It's the same reason the Jets are likely to let Cromartie walk.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
So was Suh lazy and stupid when he took several personal fouls last year? Nick Fairley was the most dominant DT in college football last year and helped his team to a national title. Don't be so quick to write him off because of a few dumb penalties.

And I'd say most of these lineman are not system-specific. Bowers and Fairley maybe, but beyond that it's a very versatile DL group.

edit: also, do you really think bowlen will invest as much as 90 million in two cornerbacks? not likely in my opinion.
i don't think dirty play in general is reflective of one's intelligence, but you can look at any interview with fairley and you can tell he's a dumb kid. additionally, fairley has one year of production. he had done jackshit before this past season, and he is absolutely the definition of a one year wonder. i'm not guaranteeing he'll be a bust, but not too many people would be shocked if he ends up disappointing in the nfl. there's no way he can touch suh or mccoy as a prospect.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
is it the same reason they didn't draft a CB in the first round last year?
Hell, Perrish Cox had a more effective year than Kyle Wilson. Wilson had a terrible rookie season and did nothing to earn a starting job. His skill-set is ideal for nickel duties anyway, and that's what they drafted him to be. My point being; they are allowing Cromartie to walk because other positions of need (mainly re-signing Santonio Holmes, addressing their aging front-seven) need to be addressed. Having two premium corners is a very nice luxury, but not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham
i don't think dirty play in general is reflective of one's intelligence, but you can look at any interview with fairley and you can tell he's a dumb kid. additionally, fairley has one year of production. he had done jackshit before this past season, and he is absolutely the definition of a one year wonder. i'm not guaranteeing he'll be a bust, but not too many people would be shocked if he ends up disappointing in the nfl. there's no way he can touch suh or mccoy as a prospect.
Fairley was a JUCO transfer, and spent his sophomore year in Division-1 adjusting to higher competition. In his junior year he dominated.

WELCOME REALITY

Last edited by jCut : 02-24-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hell, Perrish Cox had a more effective year than Kyle Wilson. Wilson had a terrible rookie season and did nothing to earn a starting job. His skill-set is ideal for nickel duties anyway, and that's what they drafted him to be. My point being; they are allowing Cromartie to walk because other positions of need (mainly re-signing Santonio Holmes, addressing their aging front-seven) need to be addressed. Having two premium corners is a very nice luxury, but not necessary.

Fairley was a JUCO transfer, and spent his sophomore year in Division-1 adjusting to higher competition. In his junior year he dominated.
i know he was a juco transfer. it doesn't change the fact that he only had one season worth a damn at the collegiate level.

Last edited by Cunningham : 02-24-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick thought of mine just now.

1. Peterson CB
2. Nevis DT
3. Quan MIKE

move DJ to WILL. Thoughts on that 3 round mock?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Quote:
Quick thought of mine just now.

1. Peterson CB
2. Nevis DT
3. Quan MIKE

move DJ to WILL. Thoughts on that 3 round mock?
it's good, but we have miami's 2nd rounder as well. any reason for having nevis over paea and liuget?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
it's good, but we have miami's 2nd rounder as well. any reason for having nevis over paea and liuget?
Didn't know you had an extra 2nd. Shoot, I'd use that 2nd on Nate Irving and ditch Quan in the 3rd if that were the case.

I assumed Paea and Liuget may both be gone. Plus Nevis reminds me of Geno Atkins in a way. I admit I'm not entirely sold on Nevis, but he is a great fit as a pass rusher inside in a 4-3. He's very exclusively a 4-3 DT, and I highly doubt he's gone in the 1st.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
so they drafted another DB in the first because having a nickel back was that important (apparently more important than addressing an aging front seven)?

what does perrish cox have to do with anything?
In case you didn't know, a nickel corner is basically a starter in the NFL.

I'm just pointing out that Perrish Cox is more deserving of a starting job than Kyle Wilson is, based on last years play.

I just don't get the insistence that we draft Peterson. It won't happen. Count on it.

WELCOME REALITY

Last edited by jCut : 02-24-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
Didn't know you had an extra 2nd. Shoot, I'd use that 2nd on Nate Irving and ditch Quan in the 3rd if that were the case.

I assumed Paea and Liuget may both be gone. Plus Nevis reminds me of Geno Atkins in a way. I admit I'm not entirely sold on Nevis, but he is a great fit as a pass rusher inside in a 4-3. He's very exclusively a 4-3 DT, and I highly doubt he's gone in the 1st.
Nevis just doesn't do it for me. We need a dominant run-stuffer, and that's why we should target a DT earlier.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Nevis just doesn't do it for me. We need a dominant run-stuffer, and that's why we should target a DT earlier.
run stuffing nose tackles in a 4-3 defense can be had in later rounds. in a 43, you want your Under to be a pass rusher first and foremost.

He can develop into a run stuffer when he puts on more weight and gets some NFL coaching.

I agree though, Nevis needs some work. We'll have a better idea of where guys will fall once the combine comes around. It would not surprise me if you can get Nevis in the 3rd when all the dust settles.

Geno fell to the 4th bc he was strictly a pass rushing DT who was undersized. But those guys thrive in a 4-3.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
run stuffing nose tackles in a 4-3 defense can be had in later rounds. in a 43, you want your Under to be a pass rusher first and foremost.
I'd say an inside pass rusher is right at the top of our needs. Too many times our DL gets stonewalled by the OL on passing downs. Dumervil coming back gives us the outside rush, but having some push inside as well would make it difficult for the QB to step up to avoid Doom.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
see, this is why i think we take (i mean, why *i* would take) peterson in the first. i think there are a LOT of guys we could target with those two seconds and third to play upfront.

anyone have thoughts on jamal williams as a run-down guy? he's a big body, but i dunno what his role would be (maybe 'how he would fit in' would be more accurate) in a 43...
I would think that Bannan and Williams could split reps as a 4-3 NT. I am not even sure that we need to draft someone this year for that role. Pass rushing DT is the real need, with LB, CB, and S all more important than the run stuffing DT.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see Williams making the team. Bannan is the only guy I think is assured of a spot.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 02-24-2011, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I don't see Williams making the team. Bannan is the only guy I think is assured of a spot.
You may be right, but based on our lack of quality depth it might be worthwhile to keep Williams there for goal-line and obvious running down duties.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbathia View Post
You may be right, but based on our lack of quality depth it might be worthwhile to keep Williams there for goal-line and obvious running down duties.
Definitely a good point, but I think we may just cut him, considering he is owed $5 million this year and none of it is guaranteed. He's definitely not worth the money and I don't know if he wants to be part of our rebuilding process in moving to a 43.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Xanders talking about changes in how they are approaching the draft:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17493183

I'm glad the shortlist approach is gone. It was obvious we reached on some players using that system (e.g. Quinn).

The "speed and athleticism" bit is interesting. MLB, SLB and SS are all in dire need of an upgrade if that is what we are looking for in our back 7.