Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question for NJX or any Broncos fan. How has Von Miller looked this season? I see the stats show he's been good, but besides one game I really haven't been able to catch much Broncos action this year,
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i don't even know what the team needs anymore. our running backs are weak, but how much of that is because the o line is horrific? kyle orton's never going to do more than manage a good team to being good.

our d line is still getting pushed around, and we're 25th overall in sacks. we'd be worse (in fact, tied for 30th), but for a couple of cb blitzes. how much of that is because doom has been out and how much is because of coaching?

our linebackers still appear to be lost, especially in pass coverage.

our dbs are utter garbage, but at least i like some of the things rahim has done.

is it weird that our special teams might be the strongest part of the team? prater's only miss was 50+, and he's been great on kick offs (that i've seen, i can't find TB stats). colquitt's been absolutely fantastic from what i've seen (4th in net, averaging all of 3 yards per return). sure, our wideouts have looked good, but i'm guessing we'd be getting blown out far more if we were still giving up punt returns and kick returns like we used to.

bleh. i'm starting to think that thinking this was a 3-year or so rebuilding project was wildly optimistic. if i had to guess, we've become the bills of the last decade.
I think you gotta get your franchise signal-caller and then build from the trenches out. That's always the blueprint for success. A good o-line will make your offense look better and a good d-line will make it easier on your coverage. That doesn't mean I don't think we need a better RB or a better CB, because we do. But, address the OL and DL for ***** sake.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
I think you gotta get your franchise signal-caller and then build from the trenches out. That's always the blueprint for success. A good o-line will make your offense look better and a good d-line will make it easier on your coverage. That doesn't mean I don't think we need a better RB or a better CB, because we do. But, address the OL and DL for ***** sake.
The OL actually looked good against the Packers. I was particularly surprised by how well Franklin held up against Matthews & Co. I still think some upgrades would be wise (a veteran C and competition at G or T), but we may find this unit developing nicely under Magazu as the season progresses.

The current DL is decent against the run. A pass rusher from the interior DL would be a huge boost, considering the pressure Doom and Miller are already creating on the outside.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Question for NJX or any Broncos fan. How has Von Miller looked this season? I see the stats show he's been good, but besides one game I really haven't been able to catch much Broncos action this year,
With Champ and Doom both struggling with injuries, Miller has been the best player on the defense. He still makes rookie errors, but he also makes the kind of impact plays we've been missing from the LB spot since Al Wilson left the team.

He's definitely in the running for DPOY.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
The OL actually looked good against the Packers. I was particularly surprised by how well Franklin held up against Matthews & Co. I still think some upgrades would be wise (a veteran C and competition at G or T), but we may find this unit developing nicely under Magazu as the season progresses.
Our pass rush has been ka-putz this season :(
Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not a troll...I am just curious.

Is there a reason Tebow is not playing at all? I don't get a chance to see the Broncos much. I am not claiming to know what is going on with the Broncos.

I was not a huge fan of Tebow as a prospect during draft time. I am not a Tebow guy by any means. But at some point don't you have to give the guy a chance? I am really not trying to start anything-I am just wondering if he has been THAT bad that he can't be given a chance.

If he fails-okay. Then you can put him to bed. But what is the point of not giving him a chance? If you can't trade him now, why not give him some time?

Once again-I am not trying to pour gas on the fire. I am just wondering if there is anyone that has an answer to this? I think everyone wants to see the guy play.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I am not a troll...I am just curious.

Is there a reason Tebow is not playing at all? I don't get a chance to see the Broncos much. I am not claiming to know what is going on with the Broncos.

I was not a huge fan of Tebow as a prospect during draft time. I am not a Tebow guy by any means. But at some point don't you have to give the guy a chance? I am really not trying to start anything-I am just wondering if he has been THAT bad that he can't be given a chance.

If he fails-okay. Then you can put him to bed. But what is the point of not giving him a chance? If you can't trade him now, why not give him some time?

Once again-I am not trying to pour gas on the fire. I am just wondering if there is anyone that has an answer to this? I think everyone wants to see the guy play.
The coaching staff wants to stick with the veteran (Orton), because they feel he gives them the best chance to win. Obviously, Orton is the superior player in practice, but it hasn't really translated in games. After a 1-5 start they may change their mind. The thing that puzzles me, is they haven't developed a "Tebow package" yet, especially on a team that is devoid of playmakers.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
ok, so you sort of disagreed with most of what i said. and although it probably sounds snotty and antagonistic, i mean it honestly: why do you suppose we got worked up and down the field by the packers? certainly there's a talent gulf, but no nfl team should basically get paraded up and down the field on defense.
Lack of interior pass rush + poor coverage.

GB receivers were getting off the line clean far too often and just streaking downfield. Our guys looked confused in zone and even with a decent outside pass rush, Rodgers was able to make easy connections downfield. They also exposed Dawkins in coverage a few times (e.g. the Nelson TD)... he just can't play that role anymore and even using him as a situational guy is dangerous since GB is willing to pass deep regardless of down.

We ran the ball pretty well. Orton got the protection he needed. In terms of what went wrong on offense, it was the turnovers by Orton and Fells that killed any chance of a good showing.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
The coaching staff wants to stick with the veteran (Orton), because they feel he gives them the best chance to win. Obviously, Orton is the superior player in practice, but it hasn't really translated in games. After a 1-5 start they may change their mind. The thing that puzzles me, is they haven't developed a "Tebow package" yet, especially on a team that is devoid of playmakers.
There is a battle of wills at some level on this particular issue. Just look at Fox's postgame comments - he's dangerously close to getting into a direct conflict with the fans on the QB issue.

Whatever the team's "plan" is, it apparently didn't include letting Tebow see the field much this year. However, that plan has been totally compromised by the poor play of Orton. The team is getting forced in a direction they didn't want to go, which in general tends to bring out the worst in people... particularly people who are in decision-making positions.

It's an interesting and totally unnecessary drama for the team and the media (local and national) seem quite happy to jump on it as well. We'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Well, that puts an end to the Orton/Tebow dilemma.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
i guess... tebow will probably have to eventually complete a pass that doesn't involve a circus catch by lloyd to keep playing. interesting, though, how much harder the team seemed to play as soon as he came in.
Tebow did have some overthrows, but he settled down after he got his feet wet. It really helps when you have a solid run game, and McGahee and the OL (credit is due) provided that. And a lot of people discount it, but Tim's attitude really does rub-off on others. I've been disinterested all year, but I was fired-up watching the end of that game.

Also, DJ Williams is an idiot.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
crossroads
Rookie

crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I only caught bits and pieces of the first half and the 4th quarter...anyone know why Von Miller was being benched for Haggan?
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
he didn't ever settle down. i think he delivered one pass that was on target all game. other than that, he threw like brady quinn.
I liked the three late throws to Lloyd, two of which he dropped (including the crucial drop on the two point conversion). They weren't perfect by any stretch but he put the ball in spots where Lloyd had a chance to make a play. I don't think you could've asked for much more out of Tim during those last three drives.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I like about Tebow is that not only is he not Kyle Orton, he isn't Brady Quinn either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Quote:
wait, you mean the only lloyd had to make an absolute circus catch on? you *liked* that throw? granted, he hit moreno on a swing/screen and a wide open fells. after throwing 8 straight balls into the dirt in front of open receivers.
I liked it, because it was completed and put into a spot where the defenders didn't have a chance and Lloyd did. I also liked the sideline throw that Lloyd dropped and the pass to Decker that was barely overthrown, but hit him in the hands. I've already conceded that his first few possessions weren't pretty, but I don't by any means think it's a stretch to say he "settled down" late. And Fells was only open because Tebow scrambled around for a few extra seconds and made something out of nothing.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 10-16-2011, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hello guys. Excited for the rest of the year? ^_^
Old 10-17-2011, 01:12 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mortreport Chris Mortensen
Rams give up a 6th rounder in 2012 that could become a 5th rounder depending Lloyd's pass receptions

There are just no words to express my displeasure in this move.
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Meh. I don't mind it. The compensation isn't great, but Lloyd obviously didn't want to work with Tebow in his contract year. Besides, everyone knew Orton was his boy. This is a move that will allow us to get a good look at Demaryius Thomas, who should be back next week.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

It goes to a 5th if he catches 30 according to Schefter earlier today, which I think would be pretty much a lock to happen as long as he stays healthy. Considering the Rams' potential draft position, that could end up being a decent pick.

The bottom line is we weren't going to extend him for a number of reasons. The team is ready to move on with the younger WRs.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default Week 7

Things I learned:

1. The defense is credible

I'm not saying we're great on D, but we've got some playmakers on that side of the ball and Dennis Allen calls a pretty good game. That's a welcome change from many years of failure.

2. Fox hates offense

Yeah, I know McCoy has official playcalling duties, but face it, he's obviously working within the framework/expectations laid out by his boss. The offensive playcalling for 75% of the game was Fox's special kind of ugly. I liked some of the situational run calls, but overall I found myself groaning in agony as lame call after lame call came in. They didn't even give Tebow the kind of short stuff that is usually employed to give a young QB some quick wins - screens, slants, RB in the flats, rollouts to the TE, etc.

Of course, when the game is pretty much over they decide to mix things up a bit... lo and behold, 2 TDs and a 2 pt conversion. Sadly, once we get to OT Fox goes back to his old tricks. I really hope the team takes a very hard look at how they call a game. The Erhardt-Perkins offense is a fine one... but its motto of "pass to score, run to win" seems to have been forgotten by the powers-that-be.

3. Tebow is clutch

Say what you want about this kid, but he came through in the crunch. Orton could never do that, in fact, his game would always get worse when the pressure was on. I can only hope Tebow will get more comfortable over the next few weeks and that the team will scheme things to put him in position to be successful.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:08 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Things I learned:

1. The defense is credible

I'm not saying we're great on D, but we've got some playmakers on that side of the ball and Dennis Allen calls a pretty good game. That's a welcome change from many years of failure.

2. Fox hates offense

Yeah, I know McCoy has official playcalling duties, but face it, he's obviously working within the framework/expectations laid out by his boss. The offensive playcalling for 75% of the game was Fox's special kind of ugly. I liked some of the situational run calls, but overall I found myself groaning in agony as lame call after lame call came in. They didn't even give Tebow the kind of short stuff that is usually employed to give a young QB some quick wins - screens, slants, RB in the flats, rollouts to the TE, etc.

Of course, when the game is pretty much over they decide to mix things up a bit... lo and behold, 2 TDs and a 2 pt conversion. Sadly, once we get to OT Fox goes back to his old tricks. I really hope the team takes a very hard look at how they call a game. The Erhardt-Perkins offense is a fine one... but its motto of "pass to score, run to win" seems to have been forgotten by the powers-that-be.

3. Tebow is clutch

Say what you want about this kid, but he came through in the crunch. Orton could never do that, in fact, his game would always get worse when the pressure was on. I can only hope Tebow will get more comfortable over the next few weeks and that the team will scheme things to put him in position to be successful.
Completely agree with the Tebow assessment. Fox is doing nothing to help Tebow out at all. So glad he lead them to victory if not just to piss off all the ESPN experts and njx
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Rotate the QBs; Orton for the first three quarters and Timmy for the 4th.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Vic Lombardi, the Broncos are extremely interested in RG III.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
According to Vic Lombardi, the Broncos are extremely interested in RG III.
After all the hoopla about us looking at QB's in the last draft, I'll believe it when I see it.

If Fox can swallow his pride and let the staff truly build the offensive approach around Tebow's skill set, we'll be fine at QB. That a big "if", though...
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
realistically, it comes down to either forgetting the passing game, except in rare circumstances, tebow playing like a first round pick for more than a couple of drives in a game, or getting a guy who *can* play qb. tebow's clearly a leader. guys will rally with him when he plays well. but he has to actually play well or all the leadership in the world doesn't matter.
That's fair enough.

The thing about the offense is this: if we are dead set on the run - dropback playaction - punt routine then we might as well bring someone else in. I don't see Tebow ever developing into a great dropback passer.

Tebow is made for the spread. If you want him under center, then build in the rollouts and bootlegs to go with the handoffs. Jake Plummer wasn't much of a dropback passer, but Shanahan installed/called plays that made the most of his strengths. Fox and Co need to take a page from that book, even if it puts them outside their comfort zone.