Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Everyone is just guessing about Odell's return but someone said they spoke to someone who was "informed" and said Odell; if clean will be welcomed back with open arms. I hope the best for him. If he can get through this off season clean, I think he will be back.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott
Everyone is just guessing about Odell's return but someone said they spoke to someone who was "informed" and said Odell; if clean will be welcomed back with open arms. I hope the best for him. If he can get through this off season clean, I think he will be back.
Of course he'll be welcomed back, he has talent and a bright future if he stays clean. If he was a backup MLB he wouldn't be welcomed back. the good ones are always given chance after chance.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sure hope so. I mean, he's just entirely too good to let go. The second we dropped him everyone else around the league would be all over him. Hopefully Marvin has scared the living hell out of him and he'll get it together.

Landon/Odell/Ahmad would be just to die for. Then we need another CB and DE for Justin Smith and we'd be ready to go.

My main problem is that you know he won't start. Kinda like last year when he was playing with the 3rd/4th string guys in preseason, that was about a depressing sight.

The real reason I think Marvin got so PO'd with him and Deltha is that the rest of the guys are good in the locker room and do everything for the team, never miss meetings. I know Odell missed meetings once or twice and Marvin was dissapointed with him even before the suspension then it just got worse.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey PTC why is it that you dont think the Bengals will address TE on day 1?

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable
Hey PTC why is it that you dont think the Bengals will address TE on day 1?
Marvin/Bratkowski/our TE coach all laughed about it last year when they talked about us taking one in the 1st. Marvin was just looking for a project guy that can block, that's the main role of the TE in our offense. No need to add another mouth to feed in a pass catching TE and we are just a few pieces away from a solid defense so that's the route we have to go. TE just isn't a big impact position on our team.

TJ/Chris Perry/Jeremi Johnson take up a lot of the role for us that a tradition TE would. TJ led the league in 3rd down receptions and Perry/Johnson catch a lot of passes out of the backfield.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

Plus you guys have Tim Day.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable
Plus you guys have Tim Day.
I was going to mention him but I'm not sure how he figures in the future.

You're quite the informed Ravens fan, I'm willing to let you convert to the Bengals... :P
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Hey Bengals -

Quick question:

Do you think that Eric Steinbach could legitimately play (and perform well!) at Left Tackle?

If he can, he is going to make an awful lot of money this offseason, because there is not really anyone else on the market who can... (and I'm assuming you guys don't resign him, given the huge Jones/Anderson contracts).

Cheers.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I don't see why Steinbach couldn't play LT but he's much better suited for Center or LG. The guy can play all over the place... That's gotta be worth something to someone.

I was shocked to read he's our top priority this offseason so we might still re-sign him but I'm doubtful of that happening.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

I think the bengals saw what happened to Seattle when they lost Hutchinson and doesnt want it to happen to them. With the cap increase we have more than enough to afford him, and its not like we are going to go spend it on a Asante Samuels or a Nate Clements so why not keep him. I just hope we let Justin go cause I am tired of seeing him in a bengals uni. He just doesnt know how to get to the QB.

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsPwn
I think the bengals saw what happened to Seattle when they lost Hutchinson and doesnt want it to happen to them. With the cap increase we have more than enough to afford him, and its not like we are going to go spend it on a Asante Samuels or a Nate Clements so why not keep him. I just hope we let Justin go cause I am tired of seeing him in a bengals uni. He just doesnt know how to get to the QB.
He is sneaky good... He was 15th last year in sacks/hurries, it surprised me too.

I do think the oline is much more important to the team, with our struggles last year our D wasn't terrible... It was just that our offense wasn't as good as usual because the Oline struggled.

You know, they could always re-sign Steinbach... Put him at Center then Whitworth at LG. Just a thought...
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

Why would they do that when Ghuciac has been ballin when hes been in. The only O-line problems they had last year was Levi going down and having Whitworth getting pwned all over the field, especially by Dwight Freeney :roll: :roll: They might as well just mold Whitworth into Willie's replacement in the next couple of years.

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Are the Bengals switching to the 3-4?

If so, would you plan on drafting a 3-4 player like Carriker or a OLB in round 1?

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

deyebc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We won't know whether a switch is gonna happen until after the draft.... i.e. if the right players for a 3-4 drop to us in the later rounds and we don't re-sign Justin Smith since he is not a 3-4 DE.
deyebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsPwn
Why would they do that when Ghuciac has been ballin when hes been in. The only O-line problems they had last year was Levi going down and having Whitworth getting pwned all over the field, especially by Dwight Freeney :roll: :roll: They might as well just mold Whitworth into Willie's replacement in the next couple of years.
Whitworth did get owned by Freeney but the run blocking really struggled without Braham in there, I'm not saying they should just thinking out loud. I agree that if we did re-sign Steinbach then might as well get Whitworth ready for RT eventually and I think Andrews can play RG.

Geathers would play OLB (as I forgot earlier), really the only piece I could see us grabbing up to complete it is a LB (if Odell has no chance of returning) or DE like Carriker. Adams/Smith at NT, Peko and Carriker on the ends would be sick. Then Landon/Geathers outside with Ahmad/Simmons (this year)/Nicholson and Odell being question marks. Jeanty could figure in as well. Replacing James/Deltha... It'd be nice to have a saftey but Jackson is good enough for right now if we can't address it elsewhere.

Smith said he'd be open to swapping to OLB in the 3-4 but that wouldn't make a lot of sense as he's just not that type of player.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont rly see the 3-4 happening totally this year. id like them to be able to move from 3-4 to 4-3 whenever they want really. i think that was the original idea with drafting pollack but that might be on hold for awhile.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack
i dont rly see the 3-4 happening totally this year. id like them to be able to move from 3-4 to 4-3 whenever they want really. i think that was the original idea with drafting pollack but that might be on hold for awhile.
I don't see it happening either.

I'm hoping for it though... Think it'll improve our pass rush and makes the best out of our players, plus I just like it more in general.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if it were to happen we wouldve seen more and more draft picks who are suited for it, maybe this year we will see it some more but idk.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 02-02-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack
if it were to happen we wouldve seen more and more draft picks who are suited for it, maybe this year we will see it some more but idk.
Well, Manny Lawson was rumored real hard last year but we needed a CB bad and he was gone... Then in the second OL was almost a must so it didn't have priority really.

I guess we'll see, Carriker would be nice. Then a CB in the 2nd. Peko at DE, Smith/Adams at NT, Carriker at DE. LB's would be a little fuzzy. Geathers/Landon outside, Ahmad and a combo of a few guys inside.

New CB/Dexter/Madieu/JJ in the secondary.

I really don't see anyone that sticks out in FA that would make good sense to grab up right now. Maybe a CB but Marvin has said he prefers them via the draft because of the price.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

What do you think the chances are of the Bengals taking another Cornerback in the first round again this year?

I wanted to give them a DE, but most of the top ones are off the board the only really 1st round talent left is Jarvis Moss in my mock right now..

if they did take another corner which one would fit them best? Revis? Hall? McCauley? other? and how would they play him, as a replacement for O'Neal or James? or would they try to ease him in by playing him in nickel packages early on?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Tory James is likely gone. I think if we don't address CB via FA (which I doubt we do) then we take one round 1 or 2 then start them in the nickel and before the end of the year they start over Deltha (ala Johnathan Joseph this year).

Hall I don't think would fit, Marvin loves speed and Hall just doesn't have it for man coverage. I think Revis is a good fit, McCauley might be but the value isn't there at 18. Chris Houston I think would really fit in well.

Jarvis Moss is a possibility.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:25 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Interesting read... Says a lot. Sam Adams was vocal last night about the character problems.

Quote:
Brown says off-field woes will alter Bengals draft

CINCINNATI — After watching nine of his players get arrested in the past 13 months, Cincinnati Bengals president Mike Brown said Friday that the team would change its approach on draft day.
"There may be some gifted athletes we won't pick that we might have picked a year ago," Brown said on Friday, a day that one of Brown's players, wide receiver Chris Henry, spent in jail in Kentucky.

Kenton County Judge Douglas Grothaus sentenced Henry to two days in jail for giving alcohol to minors in a Covington hotel room last year. The judge called Henry a "cancer."

Henry's sentencing came three days after cornerback Johnathan Joseph, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2006, was arrested in Boone County for marijuana possession.

In all, six of the Bengals' 16 draft picks in the 2005 and 2006 classes have been arrested since the start of the 2006 calendar year.

"I've never thought the word 'cancer' was appropriate for a human being," Brown told Bronson.

"People aren't cancerous. They misbehave. I would not use that word. But he deserved to be scolded and it did not displease me that the judge did that. We're trying to do the same thing with Chris, to send a message to other players."

Brown and his head coach, Marvin Lewis, have declined to be interviewed this week about Joseph's arrest, Henry's sentencing or the trend of off-field trouble. In fact, since Lewis' hiring in January 2003, Brown no longer grants interview requests except in rare occasions.

The Bengals now have a 24-hour line that their players can call for a ride, he said.

Brown also said the league and players union limit team discipline.

"There's only so much we can do in these situations," Brown said. Because of NFL and players union rules, "We can't act as forcefully as we did in the past. ... Our hands are tied. We can't fine, sanction or fire a player."

Lewis, like other NFL head coaches, does have disciplinary powers with players available under the heading "Conduct detrimental to club," as spelled out in the league's collective bargaining agreement with the players union.

Clubs may suspend a player for a period up to four weeks but not to exceed four weeks, according to the binding agreement. A club/coach also can fine a player "an amount equal to one week's salary."

Henry had a base salary of $310,000 in 2006, and each of his 17 weekly game checks was worth $18,235.

Lewis disciplined starting tailback Rudi Johnson and linebacker Odell Thurman in separate games in 2005. Lewis made the players sit out the first series for breaking unspecific team rules. Lewis repeated the move for Johnson this past season, not starting him in the San Diego game.

In terms of possible NFL discipline, Henry could be suspended for four games in the 2007 season for a second violation of the league's substance abuse policy. Henry already has one strike against him for a guilty plea in a marijuana possession case in 2005 in Kenton County. If NFL commissioner Roger Goodell decides that Henry's latest plea in Kenton County on Thursday is a second violation of the policy, he gets the four-game vacation without pay.

Still, Brown anticipates that Henry will be back for a third season with the Bengals in 2007.

"I don't think it's wrong to give people a chance and that includes Chris Henry," Brown said. "He has paid a real price for it in his personal life and for us, and I don't abandon hope for him at all."

Thurman is serving a one-year suspension for a third violation of the substance abuse policy. Brown referred to Thurman and Henry as "broken records" in his interview with Bronson.

"Everyone here is fed up with this including Marvin and me, and we want it to stop," Brown said.
Last year Marvin said it, but this year the owner is saying it and we had more problems so it's not happening again.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

i would really like to see bazuin in orange and black in the second.

first could be alot of different people most likely imo: carriker, okoye, griffin, landry, moses, moss or a cb. okoye would be the dream pick if he were to fall and i really like griffin i think he is a safety marvin would like.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Bazuin would be an excellent choice but with no 3rd rd pick, I don't see us taking him in Rd 2. I'd love to see us get one of the top Safeties in Rd 1 and maybe a Fred Bennett in Rd 2. Ideally, maybe a trade down to about 24-25 could get us a 3rd rd pick back and then we could get another valuable defensive player or maybe that long lost TE everyone thinks about.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ
Chris Houston I think would really fit in well.
Houston will likely shoot up to the first round and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we snatched him up at 18. He is the best physical corner in this draft and if you team him up with Joseph, your looking at one of the best CB tandems for years to come!