Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

deyebc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Good mock I really think Marcus McCauley can be a shutdown corner in a couple years..... I don't think Moss will be there when we select, he is just too much of a physical freak....
deyebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice... Not sure if Moss will be there round 2 but I like it. McCauley is like a Joseph clone from the idea that people are saying yeah he's physically perfect for the position but what did he do in college... Well we saw what Marvin did with Joseph and I don't see why he can't do the same with McCauley.

I really like Celek, he'd be a sweet addition.

The one pick I don't like is Warren. ILB isn't a big deal given Simmons still being on the team, Caleb, Nicholson and Ahmad all being capable of MLB so we're good to go there.

I'd personally rather see a saftey round 4 or OL. IMO round 4 or 5 we have to address OL because of losing depth via players moving into a starting spot.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

In regards to Scotts mock, its alright......... Im just not a big fan of 1 year wonders. The bust rate on them is sooo high. I'll take anybody but Tyler. But Merriweather in the 2nd isnt too bad. He can play run and pass well but he has trouble with really big backs. Id be satisfied with Moses/Merriweather first day. I just hope we dont draft a CB first round unless Leon Hall drops to us.

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright guys i'm the GM for the Bengals in the mock draft. I'm floating some ideas aroudn but thougth i'd get the opinion of the actual teams fan's....alright everybody that is suspended and FA's are considered resigned...I have acquired CB Drayton Florence and SS Terrence Kiel with the plans of moving Tory James to FS and inserting Jonathan Joseph at the other CB so they secondary is set for the most part for now. The positions I've looked at the most for the Bengals are DT(but they are very slim after the first 2), LB(probably not gonna be in position for any of the top 3), and TE(dont really want to take one), by the way T.J is now gone and Chris Henry is the # 2 WR. So what do you guys think I should address in the first round?
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You've lost me. Was TJ part of a trade to acquire Florence and why would the team resign James who is worse than O'Neil? What happened to O'Neil? I take the best def. player on the board whether i's a LBer, DE or DT or even another CB.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T.J was traded for Drayton Florence, Terrence Kiel and a 4th rounder. All players are considered resigned. So hence Tory James automatically is back on the team as well as Justin Smith and Eric Steinbach. So the secondary is patched up pretty nicely with Florence and Joseph at CB, and James and Kiel at Safety(which is not great but still an upgrade over what you had). I have a couple players in mind for the pick just thought i should let u guys give me some opinions. I traded O'neil for draft picks, I feel he is an all or nothing CB and Joseph and Florence are better all around CB's
Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

I hope your not our gm. Arguably our best defensive player is our current starting FS Madieu Williams, so why you would aquire a terrible SS and move our worst CB to FS?

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
quickcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsPwn
I hope your not our gm. Arguably our best defensive player is our current starting FS Madieu Williams, so why you would aquire a terrible SS and move our worst CB to FS?
I agree with BengalsPwn.
We'd seriously be screwed if you were our GM.

I can't say I'd be entirely against a Deltha trade, but we probably can't get much for him so unless we find a desperate team or something, I'd say keep him and draft into the CB slot early anyway.
That way, you've got Deltha for next year in case the hypothetical rookie can't hack it yet. And if Deltha turns out to be a great corner and this year was just a fluke, then you've got trade bait.
On the other hand trading away T.J. -who I think we just resigned long term- would be a disaster.
He's so consistent (especially on third down) and he's got the "big-play ability" even though he doesn't always show it.

An impact WR with an outstanding track record who's a high-character guy would be worth more than Florence, Kiel, and a 4th, too.
And I don't think that Steinbach, Smith, and James will be back (some combo might but more than likely it'll just be James.)

I don't think much in your hypothetical would be in the Bengals best interest or would be economical for next season.

On FootballGod's Mock:

I can't say anything much about McCauley because I haven't seen him at all or researched him, but Jarvis Moss in the second would be a dream pick if he manages to fall that far.
He could be the Manny Lawson Marvin was looking for last year, but in this year's draft.
The man's a physical freak. Did you see Moss dominate my beloved OSU in the NC? I'm sure if you were a Florida fan it was a symphony of destruction.

Can't really disagree with any of your other picks either (mostly because I haven't researched some of the guys) but there is one pick I'd like to see in the 5th-7th instead of Warren, Soliai, or Celek:
If Dallas Sartz (LB USC 6'5" 240) falls that far I'd love to invest one of those picks in him. He played like a beast in the Michigan game, and is a big guy that's pretty quick for his size.
I think Michigan's O-Line (with Long) was supposed to really be something, but they were completely circumvented by Sartz in the Rose Bowl.

Nothing against your mock, I'm just saying I'd like to see Dallas become a Bengal instead of any one of those guys.

Sincerely,
DA
Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

I got a 4th and 7th for Deltha O'neal
Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 AM    (permalink
quickcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1105
I got a 4th and 7th for Deltha O'neal
I wouldn't necessarily be able to disagree with such a move if the Bengals made it in reality, but I would be wary of trading a guy like O'Neal because he could still be something. This year may have been a fluke.

Although, with a fourth and seventh rounder who knows what we might get.
We could get players the caliber of Domata Peko, Marques Colston, or maybe even someone of equivalent value to a Tom Brady with those picks.
Or we could end up with Maurice Clarett (yes, I know, he was picked in the third -I'm just using him as the poster-child of mid-round draft failure.)

I assume you were replying to my reply, but when I mentioned the fourth round pick in my previous post, I was referring to you talking about trading T.J. away for the fourth-rounder (plus Florence and Kiel.)

I also couldn't disagree with picking up Florence (from what I've seen of him) but he's certainly not worth anywhere near a T.J. -even with Kiel and the pick.
Now Maybe he'd be worth -say- a Brian Simmons (no offense to Brian, but we'll probably have even more solid linebackers to add after the upcoming draft, and Brian's getting up there a little) or someone like that, but the chances of us actually aquiring Florence specifically, are remote at best.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one that thinks Tank Tyler is just a terrible pick?

Okoye I guess I can live with although I don't think it's likely, Tank Tyler is a clone of Sam Adams (now) and Shaun Smith in that he plays a few plays and he's shot... He also isn't great for the pass rush so what good would he do?

I'm really starting to consider Patrick Willis (if we re-sign Justin Smith only though).

Playmaker in the middle with him, put Ahmad at SLB then Landon at WLB. We have great backups in Jeanty/Caleb/Nicholson/Pollack?.

Then round 2 Fred Bennett/Chris Houston/Josh Wilson/Aaron Ross.

Round 4/5 go with OL and S, round 6 be creative and in the 7th go with Celek.

My dream offseason...

1. Re-Sign Justin Smith, Kevin Kaeshviharn, Landon Johnson, Anthony Wright, Doug Johnson, Kenny Watson, Chris Perry, Reggie Kelly, Tony Stewart, Scott Kooistra, Stacy Andrews, Shaun Smith, Caleb Miller, Rashad Bauman and Kyle Larson.

Draft:

Round 1. Patrick Willis | MLB | Ole Miss.
Round 2. Chris Houston | CB | Arkansas
Round 4. Michael Johnson | S | Arizona
Round 5. Mansfield Wrotto | OG | Georgia Tech
Round 6. Yamon Figures| WR | Kansas State
Round 7. Brent Celek | TE | Cincinnati

That draft gives us a playmaker at LB, a #2 CB, future S, project backup OG, blazing returner and a TE to groom to become the starter.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

Well guys I made my 1st round pick in the Mock Draft and I took Paul Posluszny. Timmons and Willis were both gone before him.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

I can live with that pick. He's an intelligent guy that will be a help probably immediately and may never be a real impact player but will be a solid player in the league for years.,
Old 01-19-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
quickcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1105
Well guys I made my 1st round pick in the Mock Draft and I took Paul Posluszny. Timmons and Willis were both gone before him.
Yeah, I would be happy with Posluszny being picked there in reality. Especially if worse comes to worst and it turns out we're not getting Pollack or Thurman back. This would be an even more essential pick if Landon Johnson and/or Caleb Miller leave via free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ
Am I the only one that thinks Tank Tyler is just a terrible pick?
Yes, you are all alone here in the Twilight Zone. Lol. :)
Seriously though, I certainly wouldn't say he'd be a terrible pick. I'd rather have a young phenom in Okoye or some DB help in Griffin, but I'd be almost as pleased with Tyler as well.

Don't forget, this man is coming from a line that had three guys picked in the first last year (Williams, McCargo, Lawson) one of whom was Marvin's dream pick (Lawson) and Tyler still stepped up this year without their help and performed very well -obviously, well enough to be considered a first round pick despite not playing much before this year.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Tank Tyler is just like Shaun Smith and Sam Adams in that he plays a few plays and he's done. He's a run stuffer that we don't really need at this point. Plus he's a reach at 18 and we don't need to reach for a DT. Okoye maybe but Tyler would do little to improve our team.

Yes, I remember Marvin being in love with Lawson but that was because of his speed and athleticism, something Tyler lacks (obviously, being a big ole DT and all ) so that will have nothing to do with Marvin's opinion.

A guy that I think might be a Marvin Lewis type guy in round 2 is Aaron Rouse. Great combo of speed and size at Saftey and has the potential to move to LB.

What does everyone think about if Leon Hall fell to us (magically)? He really doesn't seem like the greatest fit and lacks the speed Marvin loves so to me he wouldn't be a lock pick there for us.

Still, my current favorite darkhorse pick is Patrick Willis. To put up the numbers he did with the small Dline he had is pretty amazing and he would be the playmaker we so desperately need.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:24 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

What do you guys think about Dan Bazuin. I think he was 2nd in the nation in sacks in 05 and had 10 last year. He's a very hard worker and I would love to see him there for us in Rd 2. 6'3" 270 and runs a 4.70 is pretty good.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
quickcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott
What do you guys think about Dan Bazuin. I think he was 2nd in the nation in sacks in 05 and had 10 last year. He's a very hard worker and I would love to see him there for us in Rd 2. 6'3" 270 and runs a 4.70 is pretty good.
I love Bazuin. I'd enjoy seeing him become a Bengal, just maybe not quite as high as the second.
I'd rather see a 3rd round pick aquired and used for Bazuin, but even according to this website, 2nd round could be just a bit high for him as of right now.
I don't understand why his draft stock isn't higher than it is, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it rose considerably during the combine (since the pro scouts will get a much better comparison of him than Central Michigan's competition gave them.)
So maybe the Bengals second round pick would be a good place for Bazuin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ
Tank Tyler is just like Shaun Smith and Sam Adams in that he plays a few plays and he's done. He's a run stuffer that we don't really need at this point. Plus he's a reach at 18 and we don't need to reach for a DT. Okoye maybe but Tyler would do little to improve our team.

Yes, I remember Marvin being in love with Lawson but that was because of his speed and athleticism, something Tyler lacks (obviously, being a big ole DT and all ) so that will have nothing to do with Marvin's opinion.

A guy that I think might be a Marvin Lewis type guy in round 2 is Aaron Rouse. Great combo of speed and size at Saftey and has the potential to move to LB.

What does everyone think about if Leon Hall fell to us (magically)? He really doesn't seem like the greatest fit and lacks the speed Marvin loves so to me he wouldn't be a lock pick there for us.

Still, my current favorite darkhorse pick is Patrick Willis. To put up the numbers he did with the small Dline he had is pretty amazing and he would be the playmaker we so desperately need.
You have a point, and I would rather have Okoye, but I don't think it would be a "terrible" pick if they took Tyler in the first.

What I meant by saying that he came off the same line as all those other guys is that Marvin has to like their philosophy when it comes to raising D-linemen. Otherwise he wouldn't have been nearly so excited about the prospect of nabbing Manny Lawson.

I wonder, with all of Marvin's good work this last year, where we could have been with a big, fast, athletic guy like Manny Lawson along the D-line.
Ahh, to dream of what might have been with all the pass-rush that Lawson could have potentially brought. Curses! Foiled by San Francisco again! lol. ;)

I can't disagree with Aaron Rouse; he seems like a Mike B. type of pick. As I've said several times now, I'd be happier with Michael Griffin to shore up our D-backfield but Aaron Rouse could be just as helpful.
Who knows with VA Tech guys what your going to get? They're almost always either "questionable" character guys (The Vicks, Jimmy Williams, etc.) or super high quality players (Michael Vick -again-, DeAngelo Hall etc.) with high-end motors and bad dispositions on the field.

Rouse is certainly big enough, fast enough, and nasty enough to play.

I really don't think I'd like to have Leon Hall be our first pick. I don't like the way he plays and I'm not a big fan of Michigan DBs (Marlin Jackson etc.) I agree with you, I don't think he'd fit that well or be the type of player Marvin wants.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Patrick Willis the guy that played almost an entire season with a broken arm the season before last? That really says something about the man.

Tough, fast, agile. Patrick Willis would be a good pick. My favorite thing about Willis is that he's a CHARACTER guy. Who knows what a young beast of a LB with a great prescence off the field could do for us?
Unfortunately, by the draft I don't think Willis will be a "Dark Horse" anymore. There's been a shortage of quality inside linebackers recently and I think once the drafters see that he's one of that rare breed, his stock will shoot straight up the charts.

I'd be as happy with that pick as I would be Griffin or Okoye (especially assuming we don't get Thurman or Pollack back.)
Old 01-21-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

Hey guys just thought i'd keep you updated on the mock draft, if you dont know i'm the Cinci GM and i just took Victor Abiamari DE Notre Dame in the 2nd so so far its

Paul Posluszny LB Penn State
Victor Abiamari DE Notre Dame
Ahmad Brooks LB(3rd round supplemental draft)
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan Bazuin will be a second round DE when all is said and done. He had 16.5 sacks in his Junior season and over 10 this year. Just this week in the East-West game he had 2.5 sacks against the best seniors out there. He would be a great pick in the second round.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Via Bengals.com Marvin said that he is entertaining the idea of putting the franchise tag on Justin Smith. Whether that will be to trade him or try and sign him long term I'm unsure.

It'd be nice to sign him but with the depth of DE in the draft this year it's not a necessity.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Bengals fans, Another Bengal arrested. This time it's Jonathan Joseph with grass. This is getting very old......
Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Who would've thought, a NFL player smoking grass... Unheard of

Eh, this one doesn't bother me. DUI's are bad, riding in a car with weed is stupid but you can do a whole lot worse.

These NKY cops aren't too good about letting players off the hook, that might be as much of our problem as anything
Old 01-22-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
deyebc
Rookie

deyebc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah it'd be interesting to know how many Steelers are let off by Pittsburgh cops....
deyebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Still, Don't you think this shows a total lack of respect for Marvin Lewis with the problems we had this past year and with him closing out the year with a tough talk? It seems now, Joseph will have to be sat down although it will likely be in preseason in order for Marvin not to look like he was all talk and no action. It just pisses me off that these guys continue to get in trouble. When have we last read about a Patriot or a Colt? This really doesn't happen with EVERY NFL team.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I know where you're coming from Rick... Mostly it's just flat out bad luck. Of all the guys that have been busted only a few were bad character guys. Joseph/Deltha/Steinbach/Askew/McNeal didn't really have a bad rap, Joseph was even considered good character.

This will be a Ravens esque thing. Around for a few years then it will dissapear entirely.

It just PISSES me off when people act like Marvin has no control of the team. Having no control over the team means them making bad statements to the press, bashing teammates, missing practices/meetings. That doesn't happen around here, just players being idiots in their spare time.