Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin
Nelson is the only safety that warrants a top ten pick in this draft and would not be a reach if we took him. However depending on who else is available he might not be the best option for us. However the guy would provide a great deal of help for the team if we did take him.
In my opinion; any Safety not named Sean Taylor, or someone who is like him at 6'2" 230-lbs and 4.4, doesn't deserve a top ten pick. The best three safeties in the league went from late 1st to early 3rd range. Anyway...

Are you people buying the Plummer starting for the Texans in '07 rumour? Because I don't.
Hmm, I guess I can agree with that. However Sean is a SS and while a physical specimen is not the most gifted ball hawk. A trait that Nelson has shown. Now while I can agree that Nelson is not an elite talent, in this draft he is one of the top defensive prospects and top secondary prospect. Considering how many teams including the Falcons may want help in the secondary I cannot say that in this draft he won't go lower than 10. JMO.

As to the rumor, I'm not buying either.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
SOUP

David Carr has had a new type of surgery which he had his balls removed
Old 01-14-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

primetime0506 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think peterson could fall to us but i think also gaines adams or branch but i hope we dont make a mistake like last year again
primetime0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I starting to think that Houston wont draft Adrian Peterson if he is there.. They got the Coordinator from Denver who doesn't draft high RB.. I think they would rather draft a RB in the later rounds
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BUMP

Let's talk about those Texans!

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This theory of not drafting a RB high is not really true, last year Kubiak tried to trade back into round 1 and draft Deangelo Williams...ALSO, when in Denver, when was the last time they had a high draft pick to possibly take a premier RB ???
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, now that the list of underclassmen have declared I think it's a good a time as any to begin revising our own little Bigboards. I have had a hard time deciding on who would best fit our team and am thankful we are at # 8 because at least one of those guys will be off the boards by the time we pick so we don't have to worry much about them.

1. Peterson- Oh yeah, I still want him here. The guys personality really seems to fit here as we always look closely at character. Oh, plus the guy can kinda you know dominate when healthy. J/K. Really there isn't much I can say that hasn't already been mentioned.

2. J. Anderson- Our FO has stated help in the pass rush is something they want to help in the off-season. This guy provides a good value at our spot, but also consider the boost our D-line would receive from having him there. Teams wouldn't be able to double Mario, (who by the way will be coming back healthy next yr.) with Anderson on the other side. I mean our Edges would be awesome, because Anderson can also play the run real well.

3. R. Nelson- I like this guy and think he's more solid as a prospect than Landry. Oh I would love to have him, but the value may not be here for us. However always a viable option.

4. Marshawn Lynch- I like this guy as he is shiftier than Peterson and can work in congested spaces. However I don't know how his character would fit on our team. I would like him, I think the cockiness he brings is something our team lacks.

5. Amobi Okoye- I had to mention him, the guy I think could be the next Tommie Harris and I wouldn't be against him coming to Houston, however with all the other options we may have here it's unlikely we'll take a chance on him. This guy would also help with the pass rush and run support in the middle.

Those are my five guys I would like on the Texans. They are in no particular order of desire as I may change my mind on what we need more or would benefit us more. However these guys would have the best impact and fit on our team. Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Oh, it's being reported that Sherman has been named the Texans OC. I think that's a relief, at least he'll be back for another season. It's kind of crazy, because your really can't know how long he'll be here. Hopefully we can keep here for a long stretch though.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
gunn
Rookie

gunn hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Offseason is his season
Rick Smith has been in the background as Texans GM, but that will soon change

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

For the first time since their inception, the Texans have entered an offseason without Charley Casserly as their general manager.

Rick Smith, hired in early June to replace Casserly, has moved front and center after taking a low profile during the season.

It's Smith's job to oversee the draft and free agency and, along with coach Gary Kubiak, to make decisions that will help the Texans improve on their 6-10 record.

"I'm excited about us improving as an organization," Smith said. "We showed improvement in a lot of areas, but obviously, we've got a lot of work to do.

"We had a terrific draft class that's a strong foundation for where we're going. I think we can improve on that strong foundation in free agency and our next draft. We're going to make good decisions and keep getting better."

Smith, who was Denver's pro personnel director and assistant general manager, distinguished himself by bringing in free agents who helped the Texans improve by four games in Kubiak's first season.

Players Smith signed before and during training camp and during the regular season contributed on both sides of the ball and on special teams.

Draft draws closer
Now Smith is in charge of college scouting as well. He hired Chris Olsen, the manager of labor relations for the NFL Management Council, as the director of administration. Olsen, who also worked in personnel for the Management Council, is a salary-cap expert.

"From a pro scouting perspective, we were able to put a process in place, and I feel good about it," Smith said. "That allowed us to find good players that fit what the coaches wanted.

"It wasn't me sitting in the back of a dark room with this great eye for talent or a magic potion. It's guys like Bobby Grier (associate director of pro scouting), Miller McCalmon (associate director of pro scouting) and Rob Kisiel (pro scout).

"Now we're moving forward with the college process. We've worked extremely hard with (director of college scouting) Dale Strahm and his staff. The process will allow us to make good decisions more often than bad ones."

Part of Smith's job is to see an evaluation of just about everyone and everything in the organization, including quarterback David Carr. Whether to keep Carr or trade him is the Texans' biggest decision this offseason.

"Our evaluation process doesn't start and end with David Carr," Smith said. "We're looking at every facet of the organization — players, coaches, personnel, staff, schemes, injuries, rehabilitation. Everything.

"We have to take a critical look at every part of our organization."

Boss is on his side
Texans owner Bob McNair has been happy with what Smith has done since he was hired June 5.

"Rick's a team player," McNair said. "He has his ego under control. He's very organized. He has a plan, and he's going to implement that plan."

One reason McNair hired Smith is because he works so well with Kubiak. They spent 10 years together with the Broncos.

"Rick knows what Gary wants," McNair said. "Gary knows how Rick operates. They work very well together.

"They're very honest and open. If they change their mind on something, they admit it. We need to be open-minded and not so set in our ways."

Kubiak worked well with Casserly, one reason the Texans' draft was recognized as one of the league's best, according to NFL people.

A comfort zone
"Rick knows exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to players and schemes," Kubiak said. "That helps so much because Rick doesn't have to wait for me to come off the practice field to talk to me about a player.

"Rick would sign the player and say, 'I signed this guy, and he'll be here tomorrow. I think he can help us.' Then he'd explain why he thought the player would help us. That's a very positive thing for a coach.

"Rick and the scouting department busted their tails this season. When we had all those injuries, they found some diamonds in the rough for us."

Now the pressure is on for Smith and Kubiak to sign the right free agents and draft the right players.

"You have to trust the people who work for you, and we've got good people here," Smith said. "During the season, I worked a lot closer with our pro scouts because we had to manage the roster as the season progressed.

"While I was doing that, Dale Strahm and his college scouts were busy working and evaluating college prospects.

"Now that the season's over, I have to balance my attention. This is an exciting time of the year because of free agency and the draft, and we want to take every precaution to ensure that we make the right decisions for this organization."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4475980.html
gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we should have a good offseason
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 AM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dunta_23 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On the Houston Texans website, in the year end quotes, the coach/Gm said that they plan to be active in FA, whether it be a bunch of 2nd tier guys or 1 or 2 big name guys....so as fans, I believe we have a good offseason to look forward to and a draft where we arent under imense scrutiny to take such and such of a player....
Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 AM    (permalink
gunn
Rookie

gunn hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
On the Houston Texans website, in the year end quotes, the coach/Gm said that they plan to be active in FA, whether it be a bunch of 2nd tier guys or 1 or 2 big name guys....so as fans, I believe we have a good offseason to look forward to and a draft where we arent under imense scrutiny to take such and such of a player....
I don't know exactly how much they plan on doing since they currently have only around 12 million in cap space (compared to teams like Tennessee that have around 30 to 40 million). If they trade David Carr that would leave the cap at around 9 million, but they could free up some space by dropping the likes of Wong and Babin. That said, I do still see them making a serious run at Nate Clements though.
gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there any chance Sage Rosenfels' is the starter next year?

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:37 AM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

primetime0506 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

very good chance that its either rosenthels or plummer if they let carr go
primetime0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who do you think you guys will take in the first?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

As of now, BPA....which will most likely be the remainder of

Adrian Peterson
Laron Landry/Reggie Nelson
Alan Branch (if he falls)
Gaines Adams/Jamaal Anderson

They would all help out tremendously, I guess we will have to see how the combine and workouts go to see how the top 7 will likely shape up and then get a more realistic idea if who "should" be there at 8...

The Texans need a GOOD RB(Peterson), Oline help(nobody at 8 is worth it), Pass Rush(Adams, Anderson), Run Stuffer(Branch), Linebackers(nobody worth it at 8), DB's (Landry, Nelson)....

No matter what the Texans SHOULD get a good player at 8...unless they pull a Travis Johnson
Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jaamal Anderson and Mario Williams would be insane.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991
I think Houston would flip out if we drafted another Dlineman.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America
Quote:
I think Houston would flip out if we drafted another Dlineman.

They almost need to draft Adrian Peterson to get back on the good side. He is a Texas kid, so that appeases the same folk who wanted Young, and he is a Running Back who fits the scheme better than Bush did, and he fills a need.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Dunta_23
Rookie

Id love to see Peterson, but if he is drafted earlier and one of the DE's falls to #8, do the Texans have much of a choice? Or would you prefer a DB like possibly Landry, Nelson, or Leon Hall??
Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Oh, how I would love AP, but Anderson would also be awesome. Having said that though if neither of them are there I think Lynch is our next biggest target. We need a solid RB that will consistently get the yards we need. Our defense really improved over the season and the side of the ball that needs the most help is the offense. Considering how much we rely on the run it leads me to believe that RB is the biggest position of need on that side. While I would love to take a secondary player in the first I believe that a few key FA pick-ups and a couple of solid draft picks in the second and later rds. will really boost our defense in the upper half of the NFL. However we need a RB and there really aren't any FA RB's in FA that I think would make that big of an impact. Considering RB's have the easiest transition I think that is our best option in the draft. I'm crossing my fingers for All Day, but if we take Lynch I would still be happy. He provides better versatility and can still have a huge impact on our team.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

From what I've gathered our Texans talked to Kenny Irons and Paul Posluzny. (Sorry, don't know how to spell the name right.) So you guys think either of those guys is available in the second? What do you guys think of them.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
Id love to see Peterson, but if he is drafted earlier and one of the DE's falls to #8, do the Texans have much of a choice? Or would you prefer a DB like possibly Landry, Nelson, or Leon Hall??
I'd much prefer Reggie Nelson over another Dlineman. At least if it's a Dlineman, don't make it Alan Branch. I don't think we need Leon Hall. We need a proven vet. But if we can't get Clements or Samuel, we might have to go that direction. But I'm hoping we can get AD, because we could get someone like Eric Weddle in the 2nd, or Meriweather(who's still a great player despite his off the field troubles). But I'm prayin we get AD. We need some offensive excitement.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin
From what I've gathered our Texans talked to Kenny Irons and Paul Posluzny. (Sorry, don't know how to spell the name right.) So you guys think either of those guys is available in the second? What do you guys think of them.
I'd love Kenny Irons. He could potentially be had in round 3 if we get really lucky. Puz is a big reach at 8, but could be there in round 2. But those chances are next to none as he's supposedly looked in extremely good form at the senior bowl and all of his questions are really about physical things. I'd not the biggest fan of Puz, he just seemed very average this year. I love Kenny Irons, he's got good speed and has that north south style we need.

I forgot in my above post. If we missed out on AD, I definately would consider trading down a bit and getting Lynch. Like I said, a quality S can be had in round 2 or 3.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That would be sick if that happened. Our DL would be unstoppable.