Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 07-26-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
IF Jacoby Jones steps up as a good #2 then I'm comfortable with what we have. Maybe I'm a pessimist but I just don't have much faith in Kevin Walter. McCardell would be great to have, he's a proven vet with a lot of experience.

I see us being stronger defensively than offensively this season (ranking wise), what do you guys think? We still have question marks at safety, and corner until Fred Bennett gets out there, but our front 7 looks really good. On offense we've got a ? at 2nd WR and our O-line. I expect fewer mistakes than the Carr era, and certainly more ballsiness.
I don't think we are terribly strong on either side of the ball. We could be good on offense depending on how Ahman Green does. We got a pretty good TE in Owen Daniels and 'Dre is the best player we got. If Spencer was healthy I'd be pretty optimistic about our offense. Oh ya then there is Schaub. A lot of it lies on his shoulders as well.

As far as defense Mario and Demeco will both be better this season. I don't expect Amobi to contribute right away but who knows.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
IF Jacoby Jones steps up as a good #2 then I'm comfortable with what we have. Maybe I'm a pessimist but I just don't have much faith in Kevin Walter. McCardell would be great to have, he's a proven vet with a lot of experience.

I see us being stronger defensively than offensively this season (ranking wise), what do you guys think? We still have question marks at safety, and corner until Fred Bennett gets out there, but our front 7 looks really good. On offense we've got a ? at 2nd WR and our O-line. I expect fewer mistakes than the Carr era, and certainly more ballsiness.
Yes, you are pessimistic. KW was barely utilized last yr. due to Moulds, but when he was used all he did was catch the ball and move the chains. The guy runs good routes and has great hands. We worry so much about our #2 opening things up for AJ, but AJ being doubled gives our other guys that much more opportunity to shine. Safeties cheating over to whereever AJ's at will open a section of the field to exploit, Walter did a good job of this last yr. and if anything the guy should just keep improving. He's not a speedster, but guess what that's why we got A. Davis and B.Johnson, though I don't think either will beat KW out for that spot. Our WR unit as a whole is solid.

Of course our Defense is gonna be better than our offense, I mean how can you think otherwise. Our defense is shaping up to be a dominant force. Ranking in the top ten defenses during the last half of the season. With all the additions we've made and a yr. under their belt they should be very studly. While the offense I think will be good I think they won't be as good yet because they are still meshing. The line however will improve I think, they've had time playing together now and should see the same line-up this season. With their improved play and Schaubs quick decision making our offense may not be where it needs to be, but it'll be alot better than last yr. I mean c'mon when was the last time we had a proven back like Green? Exactly it's a rhetorical question.

Go Texans!!
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, man here's some more good news. Mario has been identified by Kubes as one of the 3 hardest working players this off-season. A side effect has been that he's slimmed down to 280 lbs. Imagine what that does for his quickness. Also add that he's going to play solely one position. The guy should have a monster yr. and I can't wait to bear witness.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Adding to the good news, we just signed McCardell to a one yr. contract. He's getting 820,000 this yr. and 40,000 dollar signing bonus. Boo-yah.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Oh and this time it's not a rumor. lol.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sweetness, good to have McCardell on board. I read about Mario losing weight, he should be quicker off the edge.

For our O, I'm also skeptical about Walter. He's not a big play threat, and really doesn't have that much experience. Sure, he hustles a lot and is a tireless worker, but that doesn't mean he will be a great player on the field. At least McCardell gives us another veteran. In 2005, this guy had 900+ yards and a bunch of TDs. I'd rather have him start and then Walter come out of the slot. Jones should rotate in there as well. Then we have our speedsters, Andre' Davis, Bethel Johnson and Jerome, who has reportedly looked great. I'm intrigued to see who makes it out of that group. And then there's David Anderson, a good STer who I'm hoping will make the squad. Walter will probably be taken off STs if he starts and he was a big time player there. Charles Spencer can't play till at least Week 7, but Salaam should be able to hold it down if he stays injury free(last year he was always gettin banged up). I don't have the same confidence in Jordan Black. Eric Winston should improve in his 2nd year and hopefully will show some glimpses of what he was like his sophmore season at the U. Frye probably won't do anything this year. Pitts should hold down LG again. He gets flagged too much for my liking but he's a pretty solid blocker all around. I'm hoping McKinney starts at C. Flannagan was trash last year, showing up to camp overweight and that attitude clearly carried into the season as he was completely disgraced on several occasions. Kubiak mentioned Chris White, a former Packer, as a potential candidate for that position. According to Kubiak, he was the most impressive(or one of the) player at the OTAs. Drew Hodgon dissapointed in his first two seasons and wasn't much of a starter. I'm not much of a Fred Weary fan, he doesn't standout in any department, and I feel he could easily be upgraded. I'm hoping Studdard wins that job in the future. I think we're fine at RB, we've got good depth and a lot of different styles. Vonta Leach leading the way = big yardage and hopefully Jon Abbate can take Jameel Cook's spot as the backup FB. He was awesome this year as the captain of Wake Forest's D and I love the intensity and intelligence he brings to the table. OD should step his game up this year. Then there's the big piece of the puzzle, Matt Schaub. I hated the trade, giving up the value of roughly the 14th pick in the draft for an uproven player. He seems to be a good leader, I just hope he can keep that up with lineman knocking him to his back every other down. He's less mobile than Carr, so our line had better improve quick. Schaub should come out in the first game gunning. Big plays were really missed last year, he needs to come out with confidence and get some early.

On D, our line looks potentially very solid with a top rusher with Mario(hopefully), good inside forces in Amobi and Maddux, and a solid SDE in Weaver. Demeco is amazing, he makes up for whatever the other LBs can't do. Shawn Barber should be awesome for nickel packages. I would love for one of the corners(Kubiak mentioned McCleon and Von Hutchins as potential FS) switched so CC Brown could move to his more natural SS spot and Earl would only be a part time player. Fred Bennett should start midseason. He's got amazing upside. I think Jamar Fletcher was an underlooked signing. He's a former 1st rounder and can make some plays. Our D has a lot of potential. I'm excited to see it.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Okoye signed 6 years 17.7 Mill.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Freaking lurkers

Texans | K. Barry signed
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:13:04 -0700

The Houston Texans announced they have signed free-agent OT Kevin Barry (Packers). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

How many Packers do you want?????

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Freaking lurkers

Texans | K. Barry signed
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:13:04 -0700

The Houston Texans announced they have signed free-agent OT Kevin Barry (Packers). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

How many Packers do you want?????
dude I was going to post this. Huge question if he cant stay or lose any weight what makes you think he will do it for the Texans. Is Sherman the GM/HC now too? I wouldn't want my gm or HC learning under Sherman.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Pro Football Prospectus: Mario Williams was already a top-10 run defender, and while he didn't get the sacks had plenty of hurries.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
According to Pro Football Prospectus: Mario Williams was already a top-10 run defender, and while he didn't get the sacks had plenty of hurries.
You know, I believe the sacks will come. Hes aready established him self as one of the best run defenders in the league, and thats half of what he needs to be a great DE. The sacks and the pass rushing began to come towards the end of the season last year. And now that he is slimming down he should be quicker and have a better first step. I think this year he may have a good season statistically, and I think the Texans D as a whole will be better.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Ey Shiver, what's happening with Jimmy Williams? That's gotta suck, first Vick and now last yrs. rookie. Oh snap and Warrick Dunn getting hurt too. Man that's gotta hurt. Glad you joined us though. So at least there's something positive.
  • What Jimmy Williams was charged with is nothing, even if he is guilty. Here is a summary of the Falcons last twelve months:
  • Team loses both Patrick Kerney and John Abraham, watch the defense implode, miss playoffs.
  • Vick flips off the fans.
  • Jim Mora is fired because he made a boneheaded comment to a Seattle radio.
  • Rod Coleman gets injured for 6-8 months in a freak boating accident.
  • Demorrio Williams, likewise, gets hurt in the off-season.
  • Patrick Kerney leaves in free agency, while he takes a shot at Vick's work ethic on the way out.
  • Michael Vick is in waterbottlegate.
  • Jonathan Babineaux is charged with killing his girlfriends dog.
  • Warrick Dunn gets hurt.
  • The Michael Vick situation.

Basically the only thing that went right was the Schaub trade, the coaching hire and the Falcons '07 draft.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
You know, I believe the sacks will come. Hes aready established him self as one of the best run defenders in the league, and thats half of what he needs to be a great DE. The sacks and the pass rushing began to come towards the end of the season last year. And now that he is slimming down he should be quicker and have a better first step. I think this year he may have a good season statistically, and I think the Texans D as a whole will be better.
Another need stat: after their first three debacles...err games, the Texans had a top-10 defense the rest of the year. They will only be better this year with Ryans and Williams improving, plus the addition of Amobi Okoye.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Another need stat: after their first three debacles...err games, the Texans had a top-10 defense the rest of the year. They will only be better this year with Ryans and Williams improving, plus the addition of Amobi Okoye.
I agree 100%. I love the pick of Okoye. We saw how the LB's played last year with weaker DT's in front of them. Now they are imrpoved and I look to see Ryans and the rest of the Lb's to be even better than last year. I also look to see some pressure taken off the DB's because of pressure the DL should be able to apply. I like the way this team looks right now. I think its getting better and I really like what Kubiak is doing.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

There is a reason I am banking on the Texans as my dark horse team.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Ahman is gonna be a big-time factor. I watched training camp and I've never seen a back like him on our team. He's gonna light it up. People need to recognize. Our offense should be making noise this yr. as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ahman is gonna be a big-time factor. I watched training camp and I've never seen a back like him on our team. He's gonna light it up. People need to recognize. Our offense should be making noise this yr. as well.
Word, although I don't know if he's gonna be as effective as DD was a couple years ago.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of offenses. I think I finally found the cheap QB of my dreams! Matt Schaub is only like 1.32 in Yahoo Salary Cap. I think that's partially because of the stats, and partially because of your guys' horrible line(no offense). What type of numbers do you see him putting up this year?

Side Note,
Although I think that the Texans line is about as porous as my beloved Chiefs, I think they are on the way up, and Kubiak is all about the Bootleg, when he was in Denver that killed us...
Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 AM    (permalink
Fitzgerald11
Rookie

Fitzgerald11 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
You Texans fans need to wake up and realize your team sucks. Ahman Green isn't the answer and Getting rid of Carr was dumb. Spencer at LT is dumb. He lacks the wingspan.
Fitzgerald11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 AM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzgerald11 View Post
You Texans fans need to wake up and realize your team sucks. Ahman Green isn't the answer and Getting rid of Carr was dumb. Spencer at LT is dumb. He lacks the wingspan.
Ahman Green is the short term answer to the running back situation. Getting rid of Carr was smart... not drafting Vince Young, IMO, was dumb (but possibly smart because scrambling QB's are usually injured a lot). Spencer at LT is not dumb. He is injured and was one of the best performers at LT we have ever had - as a rookie.

Please don't come back here and remember that the Cardinals are still bottom dwellers and are still worse than the Texans. You did finish 5-11 last year.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Speaking of offenses. I think I finally found the cheap QB of my dreams! Matt Schaub is only like 1.32 in Yahoo Salary Cap. I think that's partially because of the stats, and partially because of your guys' horrible line(no offense). What type of numbers do you see him putting up this year?

Side Note,
Although I think that the Texans line is about as porous as my beloved Chiefs, I think they are on the way up, and Kubiak is all about the Bootleg, when he was in Denver that killed us...

Schaub won't have the greatest numbers. I expect 16-20 TDs, 10-14 picks, and 2800-3100 yards. There's not a whole lot to base his success on. I think what he really brings to the table is leadership and that doesn't matter in fantasy.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Schaub won't have the greatest numbers. I expect 16-20 TDs, 10-14 picks, and 2800-3100 yards. There's not a whole lot to base his success on. I think what he really brings to the table is leadership and that doesn't matter in fantasy.
This is Salary Cap football. He is an incredible value considering all starting QB's are at least worth around 7.00. You are given 100pts and have to make your team out of that. Now Fantasy football I have to say he ain't worth much.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:00 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

decent game.
really impressed with jacoby.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is Wali not the starter he is a future pro bowler, Ahman Green is old, washed up, and crap.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Wali might not even be the #3 back this year. Sucks for him.