Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In regards to my question about Carmichael, I sent a personal message to BamaFalcon59 as he seems to follow Va Tech and has seen a lot of Carmichael. In addition, he seems to know a thing or to about football. He responded with the following, and I think it was insightful about a player that the Texans just drafted but most of us have probably not seen play much.

Here is his response. For any of you that already have an opinion formed on Carmichael, you may want to skip it.

"Well he's very fast. Naturally athletic. Decent size. Complete film junky, a team leader, and always looking to improve. Not to mention he was productive for us and we produce DBs.

However, he has some limitations. He isn't a natural CB. He wasn't born to play the position. Our DB coach, Torrian Gray, told him he would never see the field, that he would have a shot of being a backup, soon after he arrived on campus.

Rock's work ethic changed things. He made himself into one of the nations top CBs. He is very good in man coverage. However, that lack of instinct still shows at times. He isn't as adept in zone as in man and struggles when his back is too the ball.

However, I think him being better in man is due to him having played our boundary CB position (for our top CB, plays more man than zone) due to neccessity and the fact that for a natural athlete who struggles with instincts man is a bit easier.

IMO he could be a servicable starting CB if he continues to improve. I don't know if he ever will because like I said he wasn't born with the instincts. But he has the drive to improve and has proven people wrong before. If not a starter, IMO he will definitely succeed as a nickle/dime where he isn't forced down the field as often (back to the ball, struggles to turn his head IMO) or possibly even as a free safety. Because at S his film tendencies would help a lot and maybe his instincts could be covered up to an extent.

As for run defense, he's not spectacular there but it's not a big negative, either. He definitely gives effort in that aspect and isn't a liability, but it could be better than it is.

Hope that helps."

I thought this was worth sharing with everyone, so I threw it up here for who it may concern.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a second note, the NFL Network (via the Houston Chronicle) reported today that Mario Williams will be tried at weakside OLB first. If the move doesn't work, then he will be moved back to DE.

When Wade originally came to Houston, I assumed this is what he would do. My reasoning? When Wade showed up in Dallas, he made Greg Ellis an OLB. Ellis complained fairly extensively about the move, as he did not want to be an OLB and had been a DE his entire career. After he played the first few preseason games, he stopped complaining. Ellis actually made a really good OLB in Wade's 3-4. In fact, Dallas has been trying to replace Ellis ever since he left!

However, Wade did coach the Bills when they had Bruce Smith. Smith played DE in a 3-4, and I remember him being as dominate a pass rusher as there was in the league. So I doubt there is little need for worry either way, as even if Williams moves to OLB he will not be dropping back into coverage much at all in Wade's system.

You guys have to have an opinion on this one!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I posted a few days ago I had a feeling Wade was going to make Mario an OLB. The Watt pick just didn't make sense otherwise. I like the move just because it gets our best players on the field, but it definitely carries a big risk.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I posted a few days ago I had a feeling Wade was going to make Mario an OLB. The Watt pick just didn't make sense otherwise. I like the move just because it gets our best players on the field, but it definitely carries a big risk.
You called that! Do you think he can make the switch? I actually see him as having better numbers at OLB. Not because it is a better position for him, but because I think the defense will be much improved.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:52 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
On a second note, the NFL Network (via the Houston Chronicle) reported today that Mario Williams will be tried at weakside OLB first. If the move doesn't work, then he will be moved back to DE.

When Wade originally came to Houston, I assumed this is what he would do. My reasoning? When Wade showed up in Dallas, he made Greg Ellis an OLB. Ellis complained fairly extensively about the move, as he did not want to be an OLB and had been a DE his entire career. After he played the first few preseason games, he stopped complaining. Ellis actually made a really good OLB in Wade's 3-4. In fact, Dallas has been trying to replace Ellis ever since he left!

However, Wade did coach the Bills when they had Bruce Smith. Smith played DE in a 3-4, and I remember him being as dominate a pass rusher as there was in the league. So I doubt there is little need for worry either way, as even if Williams moves to OLB he will not be dropping back into coverage much at all in Wade's system.

You guys have to have an opinion on this one!!!
I love this. They said Mario was going to drop weight to become faster. He is going to have a huge year. I have never been so excited for a season to start.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You called that! Do you think he can make the switch? I actually see him as having better numbers at OLB. Not because it is a better position for him, but because I think the defense will be much improved.
I just like the fact that he'll be moving around and coming at different angles. The fact that we'll have another threat off the edge (either Barwin or Reed) and the addition of Watt should at least help keep the constant double team away from Mario.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

I hate this lockout! I am ready to start free agency already!

I can't stop watching the Rashad Carmichael videos on youtube. You guys need to bring me back down to earth. If he was the #18 CB on Scott's board, I know he has some serious flaws. But he looks like the real deal on the videos I have access to. I think we may have found a nickel corner!!!! He does not look all that great in zone, but I think he looks really good in press coverage, and he does have closing speed.

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 05-11-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I hate this lockout! I am ready to start free agency already!

I can't stop watching the Rashad Carmichael videos on youtube. You guys need to bring me back down to earth. If he was the #18 CB on Scott's board, I know he has some serious flaws. But he looks like the real deal on the videos I have access to. I think we may have found a nickel corner!!!! He does not look all that great in zone, but I think he looks really good in press coverage, and he does have closing speed.
He just gets kind of lost out there. He's raw, and looks like an athlete out there. He was only a 2 star on rivals. There must be something to his game we're not picking up on. Good size, good speed, tough and physical. He might take a year or two, but he might pick it up.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can you texans' fans tell me what's going on with steve slaton. Is he a factor in the backfield or is it all about arian foster and ben tate?
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTRWRTR View Post
Can you texans' fans tell me what's going on with steve slaton. Is he a factor in the backfield or is it all about arian foster and ben tate?
It's all about Foster. Derrick Ward played well as a backup. Slaton is really only a 3rd down back or a kick returner at this point. Foster is just as good of a receiver though and we've got kick return guys so Slaton is kind of the odd man out.

Last edited by America : 05-12-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 AM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for that.
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's all about Foster. Derrick Ward played well as a backup. Slaton is really only a 3rd down back or a kick returner at this point. Foster is just as good of a receiver though and we've got kick return guys so Slaton is kind of the odd man out.
Isnt it funny how fast someone can go from being a star for the team to being the odd man out. Hopefully he can get on with another team and have a nice career.

Hopefully we have a better plan for kick returns this year, cause Slaton was awful at it.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

I was really disappointed in him. When they drafted him, I just knew he was gonna be a really good change of pace guy. At first he surpassed everyone's expectations. But he got the fumbles, and that is the quickest way to be out of a job.

In the right place I bet he could contribute. But we went from a bare backfield to loaded in a couple of years. I agree. That was a good way to put it. The odd man out.

It really is crazy how quickly a position of need became a position that we have a stud and a bunch of qualified guys in the stables.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:10 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the Texan's draft choices for D and Wade Phillips 3-4 may seem like a good idea but I'm not sure if its going to work out well if this lockout goes on very late.

A lot of young guys on D, and switching to a new defense and a new defensive coord, and all this when the D was horrible to begin with. They need all the practice they can get and if this lockout drags on pretty long, I think the D will be pretty bad again this year.

The first year switching to a 3-4 is pretty rough, just ask the Redskins.
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

The smart thing for our defensive players to do would be to hire a coach who has worked in Wades system who is not under contract with any team, to run some practices in the 34 so our guys get an idea of what Wade will be running.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmt2500 View Post
The smart thing for our defensive players to do would be to hire a coach who has worked in Wades system who is not under contract with any team, to run some practices in the 34 so our guys get an idea of what Wade will be running.
Really would be surprised if they spent the money to do that.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that it would be cool if the Texans landed either-or-both CB Nnamdi Asomugha and FS Michael Huff.

I'm ready for free agency!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
I think that it would be cool if the Texans landed either-or-both CB Nnamdi Asomugha and FS Michael Huff.

I'm ready for free agency!!!
That would be too perfect. Either would do wonders for our secondary.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Dude, if they signed those two it would be glorious. But that won't happen. I doubt they are serious contenders for Aso at all. The scariest part is, I am not sure that Aso would be money well spent. He is awesome, and would be a huge upgrade. I just think he is going to command so much money that the money could be spent in many other areas, improving the overall competition on defense.

I think the two new corners (Harris and Carmichael) are gonna make a bigger impression than most people think they will. But not because they are both upgrades. I think Harris is an upgrade for sure. And I know what I am about to say is absolutely crazy talk, so feel free to call me on it. I think Carmichael will be an upgrade over the highly touted Kareem Jackson, eventually.

I was not a fan of the Jackson pick last year, only because I did not see a high ceiling on him. I talked myself into being okay with the pick because many said he was the most NFL ready corner last year. I thought the Texans were a team on the verge of making the playoffs, and they needed an immediate contributor to start at corner and that alone would put them into the playoffs. So I talked myself into thinking an immediate contributor was better for a team on the verge than someone that might have to be developed but would eventually be a better player. So I grew to accept the pick. But the truth was I never liked him in the first round. I think Harris and Carmichael have higher ceilings and that is why I like both of them over Jackson.

However, the truth is I think that Harris and Carmichael will have more of a chance to contribute for 2reasons. #1-Wade's 3-4 scheme will improve the pass rush. I don't think this can be over-emphasized. #2-They did it correctly in the draft. They brought in two guys that would improve the pass rush. Even if we stayed with last year's scheme, the first two picks would have helped.

The Texan's did it correctly. Instead of getting Prince in the first round (which I would have not argued with one bit at the time) their first two picks were made on taking people that would help on all 3 downs. If those first two picks keep the ball carriers from getting extra yards on a first down, passing downs are more difficult because they have further to go to get that first down.

Now, add an improved personnel (picks 1 and 2) to an improved scheme and you have a vastly better front seven. This is going to make all of the secondary look better. It wouldn't matter if Aso is your corner if there is no pass rush. In today's NFL, if the QB is not feeling pressure he WILL pick the defense apart. And that is any NFL QB, not just Manning and Brady.

So I took the long way of saying that Harris and Carmichael already have an added advantage over Jackson. Harris should make an immediate impact. I am not as sure about Carmichael immediately, but I have really high hopes for him. I have been wrong on players soooo many times, but I just love that pick, especially where they got him at.

Now, as far as Huff goes-I will say this. And it is not going to be received by many people well. I was really in his corner when he came out of college as a prospect. He really did have everything you look for, and I thought he was a sure thing. Well....He has not lived up to what I thought he would be. As of recently, he has been better. But at the beginning he couldn't get his hands on the football. And I don't just mean INT's. He was not causing nor picking up fumbles, and he was not batting down passes. He has improved, and would probably be an upgrade. But I bet there will be more of a buzz surrounding him when he signs than a few weeks into the season. I think many still give him a little more credit than he deserves, based on what an awesome prospect he was. If you disagree with this, that is okay. But go look up his stats first. He was not a play maker early on. Now, he is pretty good. But he is no where near an elite player.

I would rather sign him than Aso, just based on money. Aso may (and probably will be) the highest paid free agent corner, ever. So an upgrade would be nice at corner. But if you could upgrade the competition at several other positions, I would be for that. It would nice to have the peace of mind that if Mario goes down, we have someone that can resemble him for a short period of time.

Sorry for being so long winded. It's just that I am really excited about this season but there is nothing to talk about because of the stupid lock out.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

I agree 100% with Hesimanherchel, Huff is not worth what he will get. Some team will panic and over pay him. If we could get him for a good price, i wouldnt mind to much.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

John McClain is reported that Aso doesnt want to come to Houston. So much for that.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CB Ike Taylor anyone?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Are their any other Free Agents out there at any position that y'all think could help the Texans?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
Are their any other Free Agents out there at any position that y'all think could help the Texans?
Josh Wilson was pretty solid last year for Baltimore. He might be expensive though but was a legit #1 CB.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Quote:
Josh Wilson was pretty solid last year for Baltimore. He might be expensive though but was a legit #1 CB.
I like it. He is listed on the NFL.com website as being born in Houston.