Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
And, we all know too well that Coach Payton is not scared to get rid of players that don't help the team.
Yeah...it would be bittersweet. I mean, he helped us get to this point. I never thought I'd be saying that the Saints are only one win from the Super Bowl. Honestly, I think that if the Saints are smart, they keep him around and then when he retires, they get him a cushy front office job or something like that. The Saints should let him have a goodbye tour like Jerome Bettis had last season.
I heard that Horn was at practice today but he's still going to be a game time decision.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol
I never thought I'd be saying that the Saints are only one win from the Super Bowl.
I still get chills.

And part of me still doesn't believe it. *sigh* Man.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 PM    (permalink
jblaze66
Rookie

jblaze66 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't want to be an annoyance but I think my post got buried a bit, if anyone has any solid info about his contract status it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze66
Hey Saints Fans, got a question is Charles Grant an UFA? I have heard this but haven't found anything concrete all I could find was this:

http://saints.aolsportsblog.com/2007...charles-grant/

Quote:
The Bucs are looking at signing Charles Grant, an unrestricted free agent after this year
Thanks in advance I wanted to know so i can correct my FA Tracker if this is true.

Sig by Kramer
jblaze66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't want to be an annoyance but I think my post got buried a bit, if anyone has any solid info about his contract status it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Quote:
Hey Saints Fans, got a question is Charles Grant an UFA? I have heard this but haven't found anything concrete all I could find was this:

Quote:
The Bucs are looking at signing Charles Grant, an unrestricted free agent after this year
Thanks in advance I wanted to know so i can correct my FA Tracker if this is true.
Like I said, Grant signed a 6 year contract in 2002.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM    (permalink
LSUSAINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
He's a free agent. He as reached incentive levels that voids his contract thus making him an unrestricted free agent.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
kew174psu

Hey guys just found out about this site. HUGE Saints fan here.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
jblaze66
Rookie

jblaze66 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUSAINT
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
He's a free agent. He as reached incentive levels that voids his contract thus making him an unrestricted free agent.
Thank you very much.

Sig by Kramer
jblaze66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUSAINT
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I think it is top priority that we re-sign him in the offseason. Even though we have Ninkovich on the roster, I still think we keep Grant, especially after the season he has had this year. I also think that Ninkovich could possibly make the transition to linebacker.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
SouthernPride396
Rookie

SouthernPride396 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not a big Saints fan or anything, but living in their market, I've been following them pretty closely these last two years.

Over the past season, NOTHING has stood out to me more than Fred Thomas's ****** play on the deep ball. Double moves get him all the time, and he's pretty easily burned. I know the media is just now picking up on it, but we've known all year long that one of the shakiest points on the saints is at cornerback. Thomas just has the tendency to get beat and gives up the big play.

How do the Saints plan to address the need in the off-season. With needs at linebacker too and not a very strong draft, at CB, will the Saints use free agency to address it? Who might be available?

Sig by DChess
SouthernPride396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride396
I'm not a big Saints fan or anything, but living in their market, I've been following them pretty closely these last two years.

Over the past season, NOTHING has stood out to me more than Fred Thomas's *********** play on the deep ball. Double moves get him all the time, and he's pretty easily burned. I know the media is just now picking up on it, but we've known all year long that one of the shakiest points on the saints is at cornerback. Thomas just has the tendency to get beat and gives up the big play.

How do the Saints plan to address the need in the off-season. With needs at linebacker too and not a very strong draft, at CB, will the Saints use free agency to address it? Who might be available?
There aren't that many big names hitting the free agent market and with money tied up between Brees, Deuce, Horn, and Bush, and also with us probably going to try to re-sign Charles Grant, I don't really see us having much money to spend to lure a big name free agent down here. One thing that I think is going to happen is that we are either going to have persuade Horn to take a pay cut or cut him out-right. Horn's playing time has dimished and his injuries keep piling up year and year. I'm a big fan of Horn and I know SaintsDomePatrol is a huge fan of his too, but with the emergence of Colston and Devery Henderson, I think Horn become expendable.

As far as the cornerback position is concerned, I feel this way... Mike McKenzie is decent. He's not a #1 corner at all, but would be fine being a #2. Curtis DeLoatch and DeJuan Groce add depth and little else. Jason Craft has lost a step in his age and is decent nickleback but we could stand to improve there. Fred Thomas is gone. So, cornerback is a huge need.

Nate Clements and Asante Samuel are the two biggest CB free agents and will both demand quite a bit of money, money that the Saints can't afford to spend.
The only other notable unrestricted free agent CB's are Nick Harper (Indianapolis Colts) and David Macklin (Arizona Cardinals). Harper wouldn't be too bad to bring in as he would be an upgrade over Thomas, but then again my little sister would be an upgrade over Thomas. Macklin, eh, maybe a nickleback at best. There are some decent restricted free agents but none that I would send a draft pick for.

So, that leaves the draft. First round, I think we pick BPA at a position of need like ILB, OLB, CB, or DT. 2nd Round we must pick up a CB. Same thing, I believe, in the fourth too.

So to answer your question, I think we may sign a free agent CB but not one that will "wow" anyone. What we do is address our secondary problem through the draft.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-18-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
SouthernPride396
Rookie

SouthernPride396 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

Over the past season, NOTHING has stood out to me more than Fred Thomas's *********** play on the deep ball. Double moves get him all the time, and he's pretty easily burned. I know the media is just now picking up on it, but we've known all year long that one of the shakiest points on the saints is at cornerback. Thomas just has the tendency to get beat and gives up the big play.

There aren't that many big names hitting the free agent market and with money tied up between Brees, Deuce, Horn, and Bush, and also with us probably going to try to re-sign Charles Grant, I don't really see us having much money to spend to lure a big name free agent down here. One thing that I think is going to happen is that we are either going to have persuade Horn to take a pay cut or cut him out-right. Horn's playing time has dimished and his injuries keep piling up year and year. I'm a big fan of Horn and I know SaintsDomePatrol is a huge fan of his too, but with the emergence of Colston and Devery Henderson, I think Horn become expendable.

As far as the cornerback position is concerned, I feel this way... Mike McKenzie is decent. He's not a #1 corner at all, but would be fine being a #2. Curtis DeLoatch and DeJuan Groce add depth and little else. Jason Craft has lost a step in his age and is decent nickleback but we could stand to improve there. Fred Thomas is gone. So, cornerback is a huge need.

Nate Clements and Asante Samuel are the two biggest CB free agents and will both demand quite a bit of money, money that the Saints can't afford to spend.
The only other notable unrestricted free agent CB's are Nick Harper (Indianapolis Colts) and David Macklin (Arizona Cardinals). Harper wouldn't be too bad to bring in as he would be an upgrade over Thomas, but then again my little sister would be an upgrade over Thomas. Macklin, eh, maybe a nickleback at best. There are some decent restricted free agents but none that I would send a draft pick for.

So, that leaves the draft. First round, I think we pick BPA at a position of need like ILB, OLB, CB, or DT. 2nd Round we must pick up a CB. Same thing, I believe, in the fourth too.

So to answer your question, I think we may sign a free agent CB but not one that will "wow" anyone. What we do is address our secondary problem through the draft.
Thanks

Sig by DChess
SouthernPride396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

I've seen diabsoule's sister, and man, is she a looker...! :shock:

She'd definitely "wow" me! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess I should post a serious response after my comments about diabsoule's sister. :|

First, I agree that there isn't a lot of money that the Saints will be able to use to sign any big name free agent talent. With all the money tied up with Brees, McAllister, Bush, and Horn, I don't see the Saints targeting any big targets on the offensive side of the ball. As I've already mentioned, as big of a Joe Horn fan I am, I don't think that the Saints can afford to keep him on the team with as much as he's costing us, especially since he hasn't been playing the last few weeks. As diabsoule said, with the emergence of Marques Colston and Devery Henderson, Horn might be expeditable.

With that being said, if the Saints get rid of Horn, they will need to target a wide receiver in either free agency or the mid to late rounds of the Draft. Horn was not only the Saints' number one receiver for several years, but he also was probably the best possession receiver the Saints have had in a long time. I know that Colston is now the Saints' number one and I definitely think that he's earned it. And Henderson is a great deep threat downfield. The thing is, as good as Henderson is, he's not a number two receiver. The Saints could use someone to be the possession guy and Henderson can be the slot receiver. One of the mock drafts that diabsoule did had the Saints getting Steve Smith, the wide receiver from Southern Cal. That wouldn't be that bad of a selection, and would definitely help our receiving corps.

Quote:

First and foremost, I really believe, win or lose, this offseason, Fred Thomas is getting the boot this offseason. He's too much of a liability, with his lack of speed and lack of coverage skills have cost the team severely. Mike McKenzie, in my opinion, never lived up to the hype that he had when he came over from Green Bay. I think that cornerback is probably the primary need for the Saints in free agency and the Draft.

As you mentioned, Asante Samuel and Nate Clements are the two biggest free agent cornerbacks in this year's offseason. However, as you also said, both will be too expensive for the Saints to target. If the Saints were to bring in Nick Harper, he'd be an improvement over Thomas, but I don't think that he could be a number one corner. Also, Harper is already 32 -- only one year younger than Fred Thomas, and I think the Saints are trying to become a younger team all the way around, so I don't know if someone like Harper is the answer. I'm clueless when it comes to Macklin. All I could find out is that he's only 28, and has been in the league seven years. Looking at his stats, I would guess he could be a nickelback, but that still leaves us with the problem of Fred Thomas as the second cornerback, and I don't think that Jason Craft is that much of an improvement.

Quote:
I think that in the Draft, the Saints have their work cut out for them. For the first time ever, the Saints will be drafting in the last few picks of the first round, and I think that the majority of the players that would fill needs will be gone. Players like Ole Miss LB Patrick Willis, Pitt CB Darrelle Revis, Penn State LB Paul Posluszny might all be gone by the middle of the round, but someone like Fresno State CB Marcus McCauley or Louisville DT Amobi Okoye might be worth the pick in the first round. Both fill a definite need on the Saints roster.

As for the later rounds, with multiple selections in the middle rounds, I think that the Saints are in a good position to either choose several players that could provide depth (or in the case of Colston, start) or combine these picks to move up and snatch a playmaker in one of the earlier rounds.

We'll have to see come April, but for right now, I can't really focus on the Draft as I'm too excited for Sunday! One more win and we're talking about the Saints in the Super Bowl! Can you believe it?!

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I know the Senior Bowl is coming up in a few weeks. I plan on watching it and keeping track of a good deal of the players. With the combine that they have and all of that you will see players lower and rise their draft stock. So, I'm going to wait until the Saints are out of the playoffs before doing another mock for them.

And yeah, I'm so freaking excited about this Sunday. If we win you'll be hearing me chanting "black and gold Super Bowl" all night.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-19-2007, 02:09 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

One player that I have a "man-crush" and will be keeping an eye on during the combine/Draft workouts is Georgia linebacker Tony Taylor.

Scott's bio of Georgia LB Tony Taylor

Official bio from University of Georgia's Web site

I saw him play on several occasions and he was all over the field, especially in the Chick-fil-a Bowl this past December. Might I say, he got a bounce off of the carpet in the Georgia Dome and looked mighty sharp against Virginia Tech.

As it is, I realize that he's got some injury concerns but since the Saints have several picks in the middle of the Draft, maybe they'd consider him.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since diabsoule trolled into our forum and said some really mean things about our team, I figure I'd return the favor. Just kiddin...

Good luck to you guys as well. As confident as I am about this game, I'm just as nervous and worried.

A) You guys have a very good team

B) It's the playoffs and anything can happen

C) Good ole Rexy could show his bad side

D) We've been prone to snowball our mistakes in games

Like I mentioned earlier, I think the team who stops the run and runs the ball most effectively, and the team that limits their TO's will win this game IMO. So best of luck, stay healthy, and we'll see you on Sunday in the Windy City baby! :D

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Allright, Saints fans, this is it. We play the Bears in a little over a day.

What are some of you guys keys to victory?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too tired to go over keys to win.. but ever since I started doing this, I think we've won.. so...

*chestbumps all the Saints fans* Let's get it going, guys!
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 01-20-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One question: How do you feel about Mark Simoneau? If Patrick Willis or Buster Davis were available by the time you pick, would you take either of them?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

I would take either in a heartbeat.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider
One question: How do you feel about Mark Simoneau? If Patrick Willis or Buster Davis were available by the time you pick, would you take either of them?
I'm not sold on Simoneau. If Patrick Willis were available at our pick I would take him in a heartbeart. As far as Buster Davis is concerned, it depends on who else is available. If Darrelle Revis or Marcus McCauley is there, Patrick Willis is not there, and Buster Davis is there then I would take either CB before ILB.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-21-2007, 07:25 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider
I'm not sold on Simoneau. If Patrick Willis were available at our pick I would take him in a heartbeart. As far as Buster Davis is concerned, it depends on who else is available. If Darrelle Revis or Marcus McCauley is there, Patrick Willis is not there, and Buster Davis is there then I would take either CB before ILB.
I think that Simoneau has done a great job this season... but I think that's he's more of a stop-gap until April. I really believe that the Saints will finally select a linebacker in the first day and Simoneau might be delegated to a back-up role. :?

But he's done great for us this season. :D

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:26 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Too tired to go over keys to win.. but ever since I started doing this, I think we've won.. so...

*chestbumps all the Saints fans* Let's get it going, guys!
*returns chest bump*

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to pass out... :|

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

I could not sleep at all last night to save my life.

And, I still want to see Danny Clark get a full shake at starting for us.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I couldn't go to sleep last night. I'm really groggy and everything this morning. It feels like the day before Christmas.

*chestbump* Geaux Saints!

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter