Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
That is completely false. He has looked his best on third down and longs.
I meant more for a prolonged period. When you are behind he hasn't played his best games in my opinion.

Saints 2014 draft

1st: Jason Verrett
2nd: Donte Moncrief
3rd: Jimmy Ward
4th: JaWuan James
5th: Dri Archer
6th: Gabe Ikard
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I meant more for a prolonged period. When you are behind he hasn't played his best games in my opinion.
Maybe early on, against Carolina and Tampa Bay. But Chicago and Philadelphia made him pass and he did fine.

I'm pretty sure we will be able to run the ball, though.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. I hope the Saints defense that limited AD to 32 yards doesn't come to play.

I am so excited for this game though. I see it being a shootout. Our defense has made regular QBs look like all stars. Brees is going to pick us apart for 350+ yards. I think the score will be 38-34.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Look, I'm not trying to discount what Atlanta's doing because they are vastly improved from last season and are a fun team to watch, BUT let's keep things in perspective here. 3 of their wins have come against Detroit, Kansas City, and Oakland... probably the three worst teams in the NFL. New Orleans has had some of the worst luck with injuries to start a season that I can remember, and I consider it a blessing that they're even sitting at .500 right now... with Drew it's been as close to a one-man team as can be possible in the NFL. I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can possibly be as a Saints homer, but I honestly believe that the Saints are still the second best team in the division behind Carolina. I might end up eating crow, but I think the Saints move up and down the field at will and win this game by 2 touchdowns. Atlanta is making the right steps and I definitely see them controlling the South in a couple of years... I just think the Saints will prove to be the better team this season. Don't let my ass-backwards logic bother you, Falcons fans. We'll see what happens on Sunday.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Where in "Da Boot" are you from?

I'm actually curious to know where my fellow Saints fan reside. If you aren't from Louisiana, by all means, don't feel as if I'm excluding you here; post where you are from as well.

As for me, I live in Bossier City. It is just West of Shreveport up in the North-West corner of the state.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And the other 2 games in GB and against CHI. We dominated the poor teams (combined score of all 3 games was 96-35) and beat some marginal teams. Of the losses, we were in it in the 4th quarters (and had it not been for the blown call in the Eagles game, that could have been a W as well). I really don't think you can look at our record and base it off of the bad teams we played because we have beaten them convincingly, beat teams around our area, and stayed in it with the better teams.

As for this game, the Saints offense might be able to move at will (they probably will actually), but you underestimate the other facets of the game. Would you think your defense to stop Turner from chewing up the clock and limiting the number of possessions Brees gets? The defense you have is not good enough to stop Turner without putting 8 in the box, and thats where Ryan and White shine.

If Turner gets rolling early, this could be a blowout. If Turner gets stopped, it will be a Ryan-Brees duel, in which the chances to win the game are 50-50 (maybe even slightly favoring the Saints).

Also, Falcons are 4-0 at home and Saints are 0-3 away.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Turner actually doesn't worry me very much at all. He's had 4 really good games on the ground and he's been relatively ineffective in the 4 others. The 4 games in which he's posted 100+ yards and averaged over 4 ypc have come against Detroit, Kansas City, Green Bay, and Oakland. Those teams rank 31st, 32nd, 28th, and 30th against the run. The Saints aren't great at stopping the run by any means, but we're middle of the pack. The Falcons are worse, for what its worth.

The Burner is probably going to have a good enough game on the ground, but it won't be enough for Atlanta to keep up with the Saints in terms of putting points on the board. Portis and Tomlinson both got rolling early, and neither of those games were blowouts by any stretch of the imagination.

New Orleans is going to move the ball at will and Atlanta's offense won't be able to match scores. I'm standing by the Saints by 2 touchdowns.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

In any case, that's what I think will happen and I'm sticking to it. I'll be back sometime after the game, either to eat crow or to pour salt into some wounds ;)

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Turner actually doesn't worry me very much at all. He's had 4 really good games on the ground and he's been relatively ineffective in the 4 others. The 4 games in which he's posted 100+ yards and averaged over 4 ypc have come against Detroit, Kansas City, Green Bay, and Oakland. Those teams rank 31st, 32nd, 28th, and 30th against the run. The Saints aren't great at stopping the run by any means, but we're middle of the pack. The Falcons are worse, for what its worth.

The Burner is probably going to have a good enough game on the ground, but it won't be enough for Atlanta to keep up with the Saints in terms of putting points on the board. Portis and Tomlinson both got rolling early, and neither of those games were blowouts by any stretch of the imagination.

New Orleans is going to move the ball at will and Atlanta's offense won't be able to match scores. I'm standing by the Saints by 2 touchdowns.
Teams Turner couldnt get going against and their YPC allowed rank.:
Bucs: 10th (away)
Panthers: 16th (away)
Eagles: 5th (away)
Bears: 5th

Theres a certain trend. He tends to do poorly against teams away and teams that are in the top half of the league against the run. Saints are 22nd in YPC allowed with 4.3 yards allowed per rush. Add that to the fact that the game is at home and Grant is on the IR, things don't look too good for the Saints defense. I do not expect a 150+ yard game by Turner, but I expect the Saints to give enough attention to Turner to open things up for Ryan and White to take advantage of the Saints 25th ranked pass defense.

And the Falcons may be bad on defense, but they are 10th in points allowed.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
In any case, that's what I think will happen and I'm sticking to it. I'll be back sometime after the game, either to eat crow or to pour salt into some wounds ;)
lol of course. that is what happens over the course of the season.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Using yards per carry to evaluate a defense's ability to stop the run isn't a very effective argument, dude. Wouldn't you know it that Washington and San Francisco, for example, both give up the same yards per carry, yet Washington is 5th in total rush defense while SF is 19th? You could maybe use YPC when talking about the very best teams against the run and the very worst teams against the run... but every team in between is pretty much in the same area.

The fact of the matter is Turner hasn't faced a single top 5 rush defense yet he's faced 4 out of the bottom 5 and those just so happen to be the only games in which he's really performed. Those stats don't lie, man. Your argument is weak.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good game guys, I really feel bad for Brees. He is a special player and guys like Shockey just piss me off. Hes a little B***h.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:13 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Good game. Very impressive performance by the Saints running defense I thought. Maybe you are not nearly as bad as I had thought. The DBs though...thats a whole new issue.

As for our defense and your offense...Our defense played out of their minds today. Completely overachieved. Abraham was a 1 man wrecking crew and forced several bad plays by himself. Our DBs stepped up their game to a whole new notch. I have never seen them so physical and so aware of where the ball is. I really hope they can keep this up against Marshall and Smith in the upcoming weeks.

My man crush on Colston is still there. He makes everything look so easy. Its as if he is in slow motion when he goes up for the ball and holds on throughout some jarring hits. Also, Lance Moore is awesome.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Good game. Very impressive performance by the Saints running defense I thought. Maybe you are not nearly as bad as I had thought. The DBs though...thats a whole new issue.

As for our defense and your offense...Our defense played out of their minds today. Completely overachieved. Abraham was a 1 man wrecking crew and forced several bad plays by himself. Our DBs stepped up their game to a whole new notch. I have never seen them so physical and so aware of where the ball is. I really hope they can keep this up against Marshall and Smith in the upcoming weeks.

My man crush on Colston is still there. He makes everything look so easy. Its as if he is in slow motion when he goes up for the ball and holds on throughout some jarring hits. Also, Lance Moore is awesome.
Agreed, where did this guy come from?? He was awesome.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hated the idea of trading for Shockey and now I really hate the idea. He's constantly injured and has hardly done anything worth the draft picks we sent to the Giants.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:15 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

And what about Sean Payton? His first year was great, but after that? I didnt like a lot of his decisions this game. The onside kick twice was just plain dumb. Abandoning the run so early, even though it was somewhat effective. Definitely not the offensive genius, despite having great tools to work with.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
And what about Sean Payton? His first year was great, but after that? I didnt like a lot of his decisions this game. The onside kick twice was just plain dumb. Abandoning the run so early, even though it was somewhat effective. Definitely not the offensive genius, despite having great tools to work with.
Payton always abandons the run too early. I wasn't a big fan of the move to hire Sean Payton in the first place and people are beginning to see why. He's too reliant upon having a team with great offensive weapons and building and relying on the aerial attack than having a balanced team. This team needs balance.

Drew Brees passed 58 times this game. Yeah, you read that correctly. Fifty-eight. Just reading that stat shows that we barely ran the ball and relied on Drew's arm more than anything to win the game for us.

I've rarely been a fan of Payton's play-calling and it's only gotten worse. He's predictable and overly aggressive.

I just can't say anything good about the coach or DC right now. We suck. Period. We have some good pieces in place but we need the team to be tweaked a considerable amount before we will be considered legitimate contenders for anything.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

To think the team would be so much better if they simply ran the ball more often. He is getting way too carried away with having Drew Brees as his QB and targets everywhere.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the Saints will sing the same exact song as last season. At this point in the season I've seen enough and it's fairly clear the Saints are behind the other 3 teams in this Division. Just way too many glaring deficiencies on this team. Disastrous Secondary (will only get worse with McKenzie's injury, ineffective Pass Rush, Offense that is just way too 1-dimensional, and this problem only compounds once we get down score-wise.

Very disappointed in Jeremy Shockey.. it's good to know that when the team needs him to be mentally in the game the most, that he quits and just sulks on the sideline.

D3- regarding Payton it seems like he's taken a way too aggressive approach in his game management, and play calling actions. Now there are times when it's necessary to take risks, but they have to be calculated.. Excessive risk taking when the odds are stacked against you becomes foolish and Sean is repeating a lot of the same mistakes.. (an example of this can be the opening play of the game a forced Play-action to the Deep post to Henderson that was intercepted. First play of the game, no run threat has been establish the Safeties would be fools to bite on any kind of play-action) Payton needs to go back to the fundamentals that made him successful in '06. Playing smart, fundamental football, controlling the ball with an efficient short passing game, and an honesty to the run. The past 2 years it seems like the Saints want to be a "flashy" Offense.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:19 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Payton needs to go back to the fundamentals that made him successful in '06. Playing smart, fundamental football, controlling the ball with an efficient short passing game, and an honesty to the run. The past 2 years it seems like the Saints want to be a "flashy" Offense.
Couldn't say it any better myself.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan912 View Post
And of course, the FO doesn't go after Hall. Didn't Hall say he would welcome a trade to NO last offseason?
A complete EPIC FAILLL!!!! by the FO for not going after Hall.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
A complete EPIC FAILLL!!!! by the FO for not going after Hall.
Why would you want him?

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Despite his character issues I think he would have been a great contribution to our defensive back-field.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:15 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Why would you want him?
Have you seen our cornerbacks play?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DeAngelo Hall = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote