Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's right, the last few yards and the TD really didn't matter because the Bengals didn't care what was happening on that play as time was expiring. It was purely a stat padding play. And the QB rating is one of the most useless statistics in football, so there's no sense in using it. Did Chad have a bad game? No. Was it his fault we lost? No. But as hcbrad said, the season at this point is lost. I see no reason not to see what we have in Clemens. Why not bench D-Rob and Vilma? It's not like we have any younger starters behind them and we need to see what kind of ability they have and figure out if we need to make an investment in that position in the draft. Is it a bit of a double standard? Sure. But that's what comes with playing the most important position on a football team. Does Chad have much help? No, but at this point it appears that a change of scenery is best for him and the team needs to figure out what we're doing in the future. It's not like we're going to be able to put a team around him where he's in a position to succeed any time soon, so we may as well put him in one of those situations now and start to build our team around another quarterback. At this point, we just need to figure out who that guy is.

Kenny Watson gashing us for over 100 yards? I'm surprised that you guys are surprised. Disgusted, perhaps. But surprised, why? We get run all over for tons of yards every week, there's no reason for things to be different just because we're playing against Kenny Watson. He's the Bengals change of pace guy, and was able to get through some holes and give them a bit of a spark. Their line (a solid one) did a pretty good job blocking us, and Watson picked up some yardage. It's also tough to stop the run when you have to respect one of the best passing games in the league, and one that does a great job throwing the deep ball at that.

Being a bit of a Bengals fan myself (the Jets come first, but my dad is a Bengals fan so I've grown to like them over the years...) I do know a bit about this Cincinnati team. They're poorly coached, make stupid plays at the worst times, have a ton of penalties, and practically try to give away games. Plus they've been ravaged by injuries. Someone made a comment about trying to trade Vilma to them because Schlegel is starting. For anyone that's been paying attention, the Bengals linebackers have basically all just dropped dead. Ahmad Brooks, their starting MLB has been out for awhile, as has their starting SLB Rashad Jeanty. Behind Jeanty, Eric Henderson got hurt and went on injury reserve. After Henderson, Lamar Marshall got hurt and went on injury reserve. They now have defensive end Robert Geathers who never played linebacker before, EVER, starting at SLB. So yeah, they have trouble at linebacker, but they've essentially been decimated at the position. Beyond the fact that David Pollack (SLB) and Odell Thurman (MLB) are each unable to play for their own reason (injury and being a moron). Once their guys on the strong side get healthy, they'll draft a weakside linebacker and let Brooks who has unbelievable potential start at MLB. And if they keep up playing terribly, they'll be picking right behind us, and I doubt Vilma will be valued that high anyways.

But looking at my above statement, we should have been able to beat this team. Their defensive line isn't as bad as most think, so running the ball unless you get some big plays isn't all that successful. Plus they stacked the box against Pennington and Jones. But the thing is, and I knew it was going to happen (I thought it was going to be Leon Hall to be honest, because he has better hand than Joseph, but still...), Chad threw a pick 6. He picked a bad time to throw an out off of his back foot and Jonathan Joseph took it to the house. He was put in a bad situation by the defense, but it was quite possible for him to come back and tie the game against a poor defense that has a couple of corners with good hands. Was the play call questionable? Sure. But do you have to make that throw? Not really. Maybe Clemens brings us back and ties the game, he probably doesn't. But the fact of the matter is we lost to a team that gave us many chances to win, and made some big mistakes along the way.

For one, we are a team that cannot finish games, and some of that has to come back on Mangini. He runs hard practices and I have to believe guys get tired out and that influences our inability to finish on game day. We didn't block as well and didn't play defense as well in the second half, and whatever the reason is for our inability to finish, it needs to get fixed.

To go with coaching, the play calling on both sides of the ball sucked. We have no pass rush and our corners can't cover forever, if the Bengals took more than one shot downfield this game we would have gotten absolutely smoked and wouldn't even be complaining about this loss because we would've stood no chance at all of winning. And for playing against a team with one of their starting linebackers, a backup, and a defensive end that never played linebacker before, we really should have been able to take advantage of that. Run the ball, get some playaction, suck Geathers up, maybe use the tight ends a little more and allow that to open up the field a bit, force Geathers and Schlegel to run around and cover some guys. Our playcalling on that end sucked. Not taking shots downfield, it's a problem but I doubt it would have worked as well as it did early on. And in such a back and forth game, we couldn't risk a turnover. I'm sure there were some plays designed to get downfield with a fallback route, but they just weren't open. That said, because deep playaction plays may not work with our blocking issues up front, we should've run some double moves. O'Neal almost always gets burned on those, and though Joseph and Hall are talented they're young and prone to mistakes.

Also, two costly penalties on Revis really, REALLY killed us. Both continued drives that probably should have ended, and resulted in touchdowns. The first call was questionable, but the second one was obvious and a stupid play by our young corner. You could say he cost us the game.

It's obvious we're a team in upheaval. Justin McCareins is essentially gone, Vilma and D-Rob were in and out of yesterday's game, Chris Baker got left home after making comments, Andre Dyson and Coleman/Smith got benched, we got away from running the ball with Jones, we can't decide what to do with Leon Washington, Brad Smith is playing more receiver than before and actually getting balls thrown to him instead of running gadget plays, and all sorts of guys are getting looks on both lines to try and make things work for us. Also, was I just seeing things or did David Harris line up at OLB on occasion?

We're a team in transition, and in the midst of a lost season. Coaching needs to improve, players need to care, and we need to start preparing for next season and seeing what we have in some unproven players that haven't gotten much play time. Does that mean just Pennington, or even Pennington? No. Why not let Jacob Bender get a few starts in? If he shows some potential, we only need to look at LG or RT in the draft next year. David Harris should be playing almost all the time. Continue to give Brad Smith more reps at receiver, maybe he can replace Coles when he retires and we don't need to draft a replacement. Maybe Mosely can be a solid contributor for us on the defensive line. At this point we need to work some guys in so we can figure out what personnel changes we need to make for next year. And the coaching really needs to improve, what was once a strength really is not a strength anymore, and Mangini is losing this team.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent post

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree with a lot of your points dezra. I think the best point which i completely forgot about is Jacob Bender...Why not try him at RT or LG for a few games to see if it sparks our running game (his specialty) and perhaps helps our passing game. Another great point was CJ Mosley I think although he is not the answer he is an upgrade from Shaun Ellis in the 34 (I think Ellis is good but he's undersized for our system)

On Trading Vilma to the Bengals yeah I know theyre decimated by injuries in the LB core, but they need a proven guy in a 43 who can not be a jackass and stay out of a holding cell. (Also Vilma is very durbale look at my post on his streak that was broken going back to the 1st game of last season of playing every play every game) I guess I was just postulating as to the idea of trading Vilma to a team with a 43 who needs LBs.

On QB Rating being worthless...I disagree to an extent. Though it is a skewed statistic it does take into account several important factors....TDs, INTs, Comp %, Yrds, ETC...I think while the number itself for a game or 2 can become based off of garbage stats angainst garbage teams, for a career that does not happen...Its a good barometer for making up a range of QBs like I said Rex Grossman has a career rating of 69. That is a certain kind of QB and the difference between a 69 and 71 is null but its the same range. Essentially, what Im saying is that QB rating takes into account a body of work and puts QBs into classes, when you have a career rating in the low 70s for three years you probably should be benched (Grossman, Testaverde) When you are on pace to have your best statistical year and your QB rating is in the upper 80s theres obviously more going on. I guess I dont have a problem with benching Chad (at the right time perhaps with others benchings) as long as people realized the entire team (esp def) is playing poorly.

I think from now on the commetns on the games should look for bright spots in the future. Like I said I thought Elam looked good, hard hitter who can run...yea he whiffed on a tackle that would have stopped a 1st down and changed a td to a fg but other than that I saw some life in him (Elam and Rhodes...and you have good depth) but then again I dont know much about him other than that one game (Side note on that play where Elam blitzed on the run and missed the tackle...did anyone notice the MLBs Barton and Harris...Barton called an all out blitz (on a draw play, so a good call) and put both his arms in the air and flew them down a second before the snap count...despite the trade rumors I think he could be the constant in our ILB core next year, hes big, mean and seems to know how to get it done in this system.

Im gonna try and stick to who should we be drafting bc Im pretty sure thats what Mike Tannenbaum is thinking right now

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess the QB rating has value because it tells you if a QB is playing poorly. My view is, a low QB rating = the QB is not playing well BUT a high QB rating does not = the QB is playing well. There's a lot of other factors in there that help determine if the QB is playing well.

By the way, for the record Bender is listed at LG behind Clarke on the depth chart but is not listed at right tackle anywhere, so I think we will address RT in the draft but may not address LG until maybe the fourth or fifth round (we do have an extra fourth after the Kendall trade) and let whoever we choose compete with Bender (who will have an extra year of experience over whoever we draft) for the starting spot. I do think we should give him some play time now though. Regardless the guard position should be addressed in the draft, for depth if nothing else, on the second day IMO.

For the Bengals, I think the trade would be nice for both teams (Vilma inside, move Brooks outside, and draft a WLB early) but I don't know what the exchange would be. Not sure what the Bengals would be able to give us that we would want, as it looks like they're moving to a high draft pick, and I don't know if they want to give up a top 10 pick for Vilma. If they end up improving and end up in the teens, perhaps they decide to deal their first and a future second or third. Who knows. The one thing that makes the Bengals appealing is they have an offense that's elite and capable of taking them places, but the defense could use a quick fix, thus they may decide that they don't want to wait on draft picks and would rather have a guy like Vilma that can step in right away. The big issue would be whether or not they feel comfortable moving Brooks from MLB after he has spent so much time learning the position. It's worth considering, and I think we may deal him somewhere, but I'm not positive where.

However, I did have one thought on draft day and wanted to know what everyone thought. At the top of the draft, there isn't really anybody of value worth taking for us. We have also had a good trade relationship with the Cowboys. Jerry Jones likes to make things happen and has two first round picks. A trade up to draft a player, McFadden or Kenny Phillips in particular, could be likely, and we could be the team they look to deal with. Looking at the pick value chart, if the draft happened today we would have the 4th pick (1800) and the Cowboys would have have picks 15 (1050, via Cleveland) and 31 (600). That leaves a 150 point difference. There's a few ways to make this up. Just for fun, lets say we take this year's second (276) and give them a fourth (100) and the 6th (25.8). This leaves us with 2 first round picks (middle of the first and late first), 2 second round picks (early and late second), and early third round pick, a fourth round pick (assuming we get the 4th from Washington from the Kendall deal, mid-late 4th), an early fifth round pick, no sixth round pick, and an early seventh round pick. This gives us 5 first day picks to address major needs (RT, DE, NT (value?), OLB) and other possible needs that may pop up (WR?, S?, RB?, TE?) as well as a #2 corner which I think most would agree we need. I've got to go to class right now so I can't do a mock like this, but I think I'll work something out later...
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

im pretty sure we only get a 5th this year and if he meets the conditions itll be a 4th the following years draft becuase i dont think the skins have one or something along those lines. But, if the cowboys wanna move up than by all means. It is a very deep draft, but it isn't very top heavy.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What are the chances we switch back to the 4-3 next year? I think judging by the way our D has played it's nearly inevitable and is the only possible solution to giving us the best chance at winning and I hope mangini realizes that, but he seems like a very stubborn man, so I honestly don't know...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

i don't think there is a very good chance that we will at all, personally i feel mangini is dedicated to making his 3-4 work. Anyways, speaking of the defense, it has been rumored that mangini might be starting to call some plays on defense. There was an interesting article that I read and it tooked about the possibility of mangini taking over the defense.

"In the past, whenever he was asked about the subject, Mangini always threw his support toward [D.C. Bob] Sutton, who calls the plays. Yesterday, he skirted the issue. “I’m going to work as hard as I can defensively to make sure we get these issues corrected, and they need to get corrected,” said Mangini, a former defensive coordinator. “It all needs to get better. It needs to be coached better and it needs to be executed better.”

The author also reminded us that mangini originally wanted his buddy Rob Ryan to be the DC. Anyways, itll be interesting to see how things unfold. There is still a lot of football left to be played this year and a lot to find out about our team.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Bills fan I have to say I am officially worried about this game on Sunday. This will be trent Edwards first career road start and the fans in the meadowlands are going to eat him alive. Unless he can quiet the crowd with a quick score or two, we're going to be done for
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

CannedToast hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
As a Bills fan I have to say I am officially worried about this game on Sunday. This will be trent Edwards first career road start and the fans in the meadowlands are going to eat him alive. Unless he can quiet the crowd with a quick score or two, we're going to be done for
Actually, seeing as we can't really run the ball, it's impossible for any team to actually be "out" of any game.

The fact that we can't really do anything else on offense, or anything on defense, further guarantees that you could not field a team for the first half but still have a chance in the second.
CannedToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedToast View Post
Actually, seeing as we can't really run the ball, it's impossible for any team to actually be "out" of any game.

The fact that we can't really do anything else on offense, or anything on defense, further guarantees that you could not field a team for the first half but still have a chance in the second.
That's right on the money. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

i know we havn't mentioned much about chad lately what with grady jackson and vilma and all that, but I stumbled across this little bit of information on another website;

"Recent history suggests a trend: a new face may help, although not immediately. Since the start of the 2003 season, 11 teams with two healthy quarterbacks opted to switch from the opening-game starter to a backup. Two teams — the Arizona Cardinals and the Cleveland Browns — did so twice.

Before the switch, those teams had a combined .395 winning percentage. After the switch, the teams won at a slightly better rate (.437).

Yet there was marked improvement the next season, when the teams combined for a .581 winning percentage. That lends credence to the theory that playing a young quarterback in a season that is otherwise lost will improve his chances of succeeding a year later."

just thought it was apretty interesting read.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Our coaches need to give Thomas Jones the football. I think if he keeps up this level of play, there's no way we can actually take McFadden with our pick. Give him up to the highest bidder and work on our front 7 a little bit. When he gets at least a small hole, he's doing some nice things with the football in his hands. And I'd imagine he'll do even better once he starts to wear down defenses. Our team and coaching staff is just having a ton of trouble. And from week to week I can't figure out what needs more help, our offense or our defense. Last week I thought it was our defense but right now our defense is looking fantastic and our offense is having some serious trouble.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

So I again, didn't get to see the game today. From what I heard it was a close game until the 4th with about 5 minutes left. Did Revis get burned on a deep ball?

Also Harris had a great game from what I am hearing. I loved our draft from last year and watching this guy play at Michigan I knew he was going to be a good pick up.

What happened today?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

yaa, our defense did look great, but I am not sure whether to attribute that to us playing very well or the bills just having a pretty bland offense. I have a feeling revis might have come down with that ball if Elam didn't knock him outta the play, but oh well.

It was about time to see Clemens come in, but ya can't expect the kid to gets u on the board twice in less than three minutes when we couldn't do it for the first 50+ minutes of the game. The one thing that was positive to see was Kellen had more than half the yards chad had compiled in the entire game in a few minutes and the defense was looking for the pass. I know the first interception was a mistake, but like they said it was just a rookie trying to make a play. That is exactly why we need him to get some quality playing time, I think next week should be a good test what with the 'skins coming off an embarassing loss to the pats and their great secondary. THey are gonna be fired up and it's gonna be a tough game becuase they can run the ball too.

I still hate our play calling. We brought the blitz all day in the first half and seemed to kind of go away from that. That seems to be our MO; to kind of drift away from things that are working for us, like feeding the ball to TJ. Oh well, we'll see whats up this week.

Edit: Revis didn't get burned at all, he actually had his hands on the ball and made a good play on it, but as he had his hands on it Elam tackled him instead of Evans.

Harris looked like he had been playing for a few years.

Still, 3 points. That is just absolutely pathetic.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Revis didn't get burned at all on that play. He was one on one with Evans and made a great play to get his hands on the ball. However, while they were still in the air, the deep safety (I think it was Elam) came in and put a big hit. The camera sort of flopped around for a second and, before I knew it, Evans scored and Clemens came in.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

17 tackles for Harris(10 solo, 7 assisted) plus a sack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

it's now getting commical that all of our losses were games that we could have won except for the Patriots game, so until I actually see us close out a game, I will always be expecting the worse.

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post

It was about time to see Clemens come in, but ya can't expect the kid to gets u on the board twice in less than three minutes when we couldn't do it for the first 50+ minutes of the game.
You give Clemens so much slack for the exact reason why Chad has been criticized its complete hypocricy and yes he had a lot of yards but they were in the 4th when the Def traditionally goes into a prevent bc we need 2 scores.
The INT pass was awful and Clemens has only showed he can engineer drives against prevent defenses and then fall up short like we always have....

This was the right time to pull chad when the def was playing well enough to win and he and the offense sputtered. (so its a legit time to take him out) but I really think the play calling was awful and Schotty takes a HUGE HIT for this game...On the 15 and can't score we runa gadget play after driving down the field. COME ON! Chad didn't play well but don;'t even try to hang our bad season on him.

Oh and Canned Toast...What has 2 thumbs and was right about Harris....THIS GUY!

Im lookin to the draft and having few hopes for next year...maybe we should try trading a 4th rounder for Reggie Wayne and see if it works like it did with moss...
Vilma for a 1st rounder (Bengals type team)
Chad for a 2nd (maybe 3rd) rounder (Vikings type team) [dont say his value will be less bc they gave us a 5th for Bollinger]

It looks awful and its back to THE SAME OLD JETS
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 10-28-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.

Alright, another bad game boys. Unfortunately I was there, watching it live, so here's my little take on what's what with them and what needs to be done.

First I'll start off with the big one, Pennington. Now I've been as big a Pennington fan as anyone, I love him to death. He could go down as ONE OF the best Jets QB's ever and I respect him for that and everything his give this organization, he's a guy you can't like, and you've gotta thank him for all he's done, but at the same time, one can't help but feel...it's time to move on. I find it strikingly similar to the Joe Torre situation, you don't want him to go necessarily, but at the same time, maybe it's time for a new leaf, to turn to a new chapter in the book. The Kellen Clemens era has officially started, everyone knows it and I think Mangini has finally given in. This is the right decision. We'll groom him this year, just let him play, learn, and grow, and next year will be the big test of if he can QB our team, but as of now he needs to get full control of our offense.

Thomas Jones had himself another fine day. He broke for some nice gains, got us some big first downs, and showed very good patience, footwork, and determination. However, he also cost us a bit. He had a big fumble lost, he fumbled another that he recovered for a 5 yard loss on second or third down, and he failed to get a big first down at the end of the first half. As far as our future goes, I think he's performed well enough to merit another year with the team (at least as of now) and is making any chance of McFadden less likely.

Tight end NEEDS to improve. All the successful teams have stand-out TE's, meanwhile....do the Jets even have a TE period? Schotty was supposed to come in and be this offensive guru and finally work in a TE with us...hasn't happened yet, something's gotta give, we need a TE next year who can make plays for us and not just be an extra blocker or decoy. We need a red-zone presence.

Our offensive line looked pretty bad today, D'Brick held his own again, but our right side showed it's flaws. Despite many not wanting it, Jake Long is looking like our best fit in the draft at this point, we need to give the little offense we have, the best chance at succeeding, and right now, our OL is prohibiting any production from occurring. Thomas Jones can only do so much..and Kellen Clemens got pressured the **** out of the last 3 minutes.

Defensively I was VERY impressed. Revis is a stud, he looked terrific today. He's proven in prior games that he's able to help in the run and aid other players, and has proven he can be a shutdown corner. The last play was not at all his fault. In the pre-game interviews everyone said he had the ball played perfectly and had positioning for a pick, but got pushed off the ball by his own teammate. He also looked very good in the blitz, pressuring the QB successfully in 3 of his 5 blitzes. On the other side however, not so much. This game really showed how bad our pass defense was. To me at least, it made me realize that hey, maybe we do need to go CB first round again...

As far as our LB's go, loosing Vilma might have been a blessing in disguise. Harris, as many predicted, stepped up, and had a pro-bowl caliber player esque week. He look phenomenal, racking up 16 total tackles and a sack. He was not only always around the ball and successful in his blitzes and standing up players on the line, but he also brought the best out of everyone else, because that was the best game I've seen Eric Barton play all year. I think Vilma is all but gone after this year, and as sad as it is to say it, if we're gunna keep playing a 3-4 defense, then good. As far as our OLB's go however, that's also a first round need. We applied VERY LITTLE pressure with them and they were rarely used. Hobson has not done much at all this year, and Bryan Thomas has been virtually unnoticable all year. As far as I'm concerned, we can afford to replace both of them this off-season.

As far as our D-Line went, Dewayne looked outstanding tonight. He was the real reason our run defense was so dominant against a Buffalo team that historically kills us running the ball. He was very stout and stood up at the point of the attack. He did his job and then some. He's really been very inconsistent this entire year, coming in with huge games like today, and then acting like a 3rd string, 280 lbs DT other games, which makes me believe, these next 8 games will make or break his career as a Jet. He's been given enough time to grow, it's now or never. Either he steps up and continues playing well, or falls of the face of the earth like he has done occasionally in games, and will be traded. Our DE's performed pretty well, nothing great, nothing bad..

As far as our coaching goes, I'm fed up with it. I can confidently say that's the reason we are were we are. I can only hope that Schotty is gone after this year. The way we went about converting third downs today was disgusting. Leon Washington is a terrific player who can be a tremendous force for us, but he needs to be used properly. The plays we choose to use him in need to be disguised better. For instance, the Jets ran the SAME stupid draw play TWICE IN A ROW with Leon, the first time he got 2 yards, the second time in a row, seeing the same exact formation, the Bills picked up and stuck him for a 1 yard loss. I could go on and on about the misery regarding the play calling, such as with all those stupid, ******, 2 yard dump passes, but it's too draining.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Just really briefly, hcbrad cutting Clemens slack for throwing picks while we didn't cut Pennington slack for throwing picks is hypocritical. But at the same time, throwing a guy into a game that has one career start late in the fourth quarter down two scores and saying "win this for us" isn't exactly fair. And more importantly, the reason we stuck Clemens in is because the season is lost. Is he going to win us any games that Pennington wouldn't have this year? Maybe, but I wouldn't bank on it. Is he going to lose us some games Pennington could have won for us? Maybe, I honestly have no idea. But the thing is, this season is lost, this play time is going to be valuable for him, and at this point we're not starting him so he can win us ballgames. We're starting him because he's the future, so hopefully he can win us more games in a sooner season, next year or the year after.

And just for the record nvot9 Washington lost us that fumble in the red zone. Jones' only fumble today was the one that he dove on and we just lost a couple yards on it. A mistake? Sure, but not a huge deal. He had a fantastic game today, and we need to get him the ball more because he's going to do a lot for our offense.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
You give Clemens so much slack for the exact reason why Chad has been criticized its complete hypocricy and yes he had a lot of yards but they were in the 4th when the Def traditionally goes into a prevent bc we need 2 scores.
The INT pass was awful and Clemens has only showed he can engineer drives against prevent defenses and then fall up short like we always have....
You can't be serious... That was, by far, the worst possible position that Mangini could have put Clemens into the game. 3 minutes left, down by 10, and you stick the inexperienced guy in? There is absolutely no advantage to putting him in there. There's enough time that people can throw around criticisms for no playing well, yet not nearly enough time for him to make a comeback short of a miracle. Mangini literally fed him into the wolves. We were too far down with too little time to run the ball, so you're now putting in your supposed future against a defense that KNOWS what he's going to do with an inadequate amount of preparation. There was absolutely nothing good Clemens could've gained from today; only lost confidence because Mangini wouldn't put him in earlier and criticisms from people that want to judge him based on desperation throws at the end of the game.

Face it, Pennington is done. There is absolutely no way to twist the blame for this loss away from him. The defense played great, the running game was great and the pass blocking gave him his chances, yet Pennington STILL made bad reads, horrible throws, bad check downs, and nearly got Coles killed towards the end. This team played their hardest game of all year and Pennington held them back; 3 freaking points.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
And just for the record nvot9 Washington lost us that fumble in the red zone. Jones' only fumble today was the one that he dove on and we just lost a couple yards on it. A mistake? Sure, but not a huge deal. He had a fantastic game today, and we need to get him the ball more because he's going to do a lot for our offense.
Yes. He truly made the most out of the little he was given. He needs to be given more touches and better wholes. Which is why I wouldn't at all be opposed to Jake Long this year (especially if we can acquire another first for Vilma).

Old 10-28-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

arod opts out, the sox win. the jets are 1-7. i sware i better fall assbackwards into money this year or get accepted to harvard med becuase i am slowly falling into depression haha.

anyways, i didn't really notice that bender started today? i read that, but didn't notice too much, can anyone say how he played?

edit; and if the pats win and i have to hear this damn incessant beeping and screaming of cars passing my apartment window i might go nuts.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

im scared for our future no matter how many picks we get bc honestly even ifw eimprove like we did last year wed need another solid offseason and actually buck the trend of losing then defying criticism and winnign and then letting down and losing.
I want 10 picks again this year and hopefully we can build and add free agents that can help us win now...we have talent WE NEED MORE and Mangini is a good coach and it was reported he called a good bit of the defensive plays today and we see the defense play better so I think Bob Sutton and Schotty need to be replaced which also carries the consequence of giving a rookie starter next year a new coordinator. Like I said to start clemens is a bad situation bc at anytime this season... BC His supporting cast sucks! The OL let him get eaten alive. I dont care if he was thrown to the dogs it just proves that while everyone thought he could be the savior and take the team on his back this year He can't and he needs more work. I dont know how you could advocate that throwing a rookie starter in with a bad OL and bad playcalling is a good idea.
Liek I said in my previous post it was the right time to take chad out but I also think if you look at my posts youll see that even if you put in Clemens at the right time hes not going to be the one piece we needed and I think these types of reps will be close to useless. I hope he works out and he becomes the savior of our franchise, but I highly doubt he does with the caliber of team he has now.

On the dink and dunk passing game...It can be effective and I think Clemens will have to use it to be successful in this system with this team. In case you think you cant use it YOU CAN! look at the patriots Tom Brady throws bombs into triple coverage to randy moss and its a TD but he has a lot of desgined screens and dink and dunk passes. Its a lot of calling and coaching and mostly protection. I can't knock Chad's physical abilities bc he proved me and a lot fo people wrong throwing that huge pass last week to LC I just think he needs a change and can't be successful with us anyomore. I see him on the Vikings next year and if we could have him as our backup somehow that would be one of the best security blankets and training tools for clemens to succeed and for Jets fans to take solice in. Usually we're worried about Chad getting hurt but in the future if hes our backup (which I doubt) and clemens is our starter he would be one of the best and most proven backups QBs in the NFL.

Hopefully Mangini and Tannenbaum feel the fire that should be lit under their a$$e$ and get this team to contender status quick bc we have a window with this teams talent to be a perenial playoff team and if we can make changes and close these close games we can turn it around. But that said definitely cant do that anytime soon (this year)

Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

personally I still think that our secondary is ok, the reason we're getting picked apart is the lack of pass rush. How much better would our defense be if we had a Merriman/Ware/Suggs. I think we may have thought Thomas was turning into that guy, but he's clearly not. I'd put that as the highest priority in the draft.

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote