Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-30-2007, 02:34 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...schuening.html
I like the comparison to Logan Mankins...says he's smart...all of our picks have had that tag so i like his chances.... don't be surprised if we take him late in 2nd rd or early 3rd. (I know we have an early second I think its too high but I d like him anywhere mid 2nd to early 3rd. I dont know the demand for guards or our FA stance on lilja or faneca)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...enschmitt.html
another guy to look at for the later rounds...I like his style he's a bada$$, who likes to hit people.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I just was asking around the bucs and raiders board and it seems as though they beleive that the hole Monte kiffin to play under his son and forcing rob ryan to leave is a big rumor. I for one hope that isn't the case, but as of now it could be another one of those things us jets fans just wish happened. I like schuening alot and really am excited about our draft, because as of now there doesn't seem to be any sure fire pick to the jets. Last year everyone thought revis, hall etc. but this year there is constant speculation that i know will play itself out in the next months, but it is still quite intriuging.

Thomas jones plays extremely well with a fullback and i'm tired of running trick plays on 3rd and short. I've seen schmitt play numerous times and although he isn't the greatest athlete or runner, he can pick up short yardage as well be a bruising blocker for TJ. I definately love his style and would not mind seeing him on this team. After seeing McLain have success lead blocking for Mcgahee in baltimore i would not mind at all seeing schmitt.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think today's game showed a lot, coming out of it with the 6th overall pick in the draft. Draft wise, it kinda hurt us, but I think we learned a lot about our team, and it's always nice to come away and end the season with a victory. I'll be the first to summarize my feelings on the Jets as the season concludes.

First, I think it's very important to keep our heads up as Jets fans. Everyone should know, that this is not a bad football team, the Jets could be one of the best teams with a losing record. It's unfortunate I had to tack on that "with a losing record" but what are you going to do. We've got a solid team with some great up and coming players who look to be superstars. That being said, we do have some blatant holes that must be filled.

The coaching staff presented us with some big problems this year. Last year, Mangini was a god among men, this year...not so much. I think he's gut the necessary guts and "balls" that a coach needs (unlike Herm) and I do believe he is still a terrific coach, with a great idea for where this team needs to be headed in order to succeed, and anybody calling for his head after this year would be stupid and oblivious to the future. Offensively, Brian Schottenheimer was hailed as an offensive guru. He was supposed to make our TE a tops in the league like he supposedly did with Gates, and Clemens was supposed to grow under him, like Brees supposedly did. Well, none of that really happened. His play calling, in my mind, was and has been atrocious. His trick plays were not tricky, because we used them right in a row (along with many other players right in a row, leading to Thomas Jones getting stuffed at the line numerous times) and our offense left something to be desired (like points) nearly every time they stepped on the field. Overall, I think Schotty MUST be fired for this team to succeed offensively, I truly believe he hinders our offense. On the defensive side, Sutton's not been so bad. I think he's gotta go to, because he doesn't strike me as a defensive genius that all the top teams have, but after a solid performance this year by our defense, I think he stays. I also think Mangini makes him look better than he really is, but w/e.

On offense, I think we have some good things, but mainly bad things. Our offensive line is nauseating. Mangold is the a stud, we know this, but besides him, there's not much else. D'Brick looked amazing the first 6 games (don't know much about the OL, but I know he handily blocked some of the games top pass rushers) and for a while, was looking worth the pick. He ended of slowly though. Still a solid player with plenty of room to get better, I think he can help anchor our line. He needs help though. It's tough to play well, when you've gotta worry about your man, and the LG's man. Montgomery looked solid today, but he's not the answer, simply a formidable backup. A veteran is necessary to aid D'Bricks growth, whether it be Faneca or someone else via FA/trade. RT is a big gap too. I think that can be addressed in the draft. I can totally see us trading up in the draft to acquire a second first rounder and take a guy like Clady or Otah, I'd love to get Otah on our squad, but if we can sign Stacy Andrews, he can play RG and RT for us. Basically, I think changes on the OL MUST be made. I'd love to get a big guy like Andrews on our team, and address another position on the line through the draft. That would be ideal.

I think the way our run game played today, showed why McFadden CANNOT be our choice. Two years ago I wanted Deangelo Williams, not D'Brick, and towards the beginning of this year I wanted DMac, and despite my stubbornness, you guys were right and I was wrong. There are so many reasons against taking McFadden. Our RB's played phenomenally tonight and despite an unflattering 3.8 YPC, they got us 1,700 yards total this year, and that's damn impressive given the lack of a passing attack and the lack of a line. In addidition, RB's are a dime in a dozen. Every big analysis says it, RB is the easiest position to find in the later rounds. Plus, there seems to be a "can't miss" prospect EVERY YEAR.

Our passing game was pretty poor overall. Pennington's my boy, I'd love to bring him in as a QB coach eventually, but we all know he's done as a Jet. He wants to start, we don't want him to start. I'd love to work something out with him, and I wouldn't rule it out of the question, but there are too many teams in need of a starting QB, we might as well get what value we can out of him. Clemens...to me, looks no good. I say we start him next year, only because we have no other choice. He looks like a great leader who can storm down the field, but he makes bad decisions too often, and that looks, to me at least, incurable. Next year is his judgment year. Either he grows and impresses, or we draft a QB first round. Just to elaborate a bit, I still feel he can be a good QB, but I've lost a little faith, keeping in mind he had a poor OL and never had Coles and Cotchery at the same time. He's got a cannon for a arm and is pretty accurate, but his decision making is very sloppy, and that's the one thing I think a QB needs most, but at the same time, I feel is the hardest to teach. As far as our WR's go, I love Cotchery. He's a fantastic WR, but he can't be a #1...yet, and I don't think we can depend on Coles to be that #1 anymore. I mean the guy leaves his body on the field, but that's clearly affected him. With retirement and trade rumors swirling around him, I think we thank him for our services and ship him out this off-season. I'd like to see us spend a 2nd rounder on Bowman or a late rounder on Marcus Smith or Marcus Monks. Brad Smith showed he's not a great WR with poor hands and I think he's more of a situational player, we need to utilize him correctly though, and that's something we did not do at all this year. One guy who I really like though, is Wallace Wright. I'd love to see him get more touches as our #3 next year. J Mac...gotta go bud, sorry. As for TE, I think Baker really emerged this year. A big physical TE, I think he can be a big red zone target, I think he can get something like 600-700 yards next year with 6-7 TD's. I really like Baker and think we're solid at TE.

Kicking wise, I think we're good. Nugent started off very poorly , but really only missed 1 or 2 after that. Inside the 40 yard line he is absolutely money, but outside that he has trouble, and I think he really should work on that this off season.
I'll make a new post with my defensive thoughts...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Last edited by nvot9 : 12-30-2007 at 09:16 PM.
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.

Now to the defense. I expected worse from our defense to be honest, and was pleasantly surprised.

Our pass protection stood up very strong this year, despite looking rough on paper. At safety I think we are very solid. Rhodes is a top 3 S in the NFL, and a Eric Smith/Abram Elam duo should match him pretty formidably. I'm sick of seeing some mocks with us getting Kenny Phillips. I would be very frustrated if that were to happen. It would possibly improve our duo, but there's not reason to when there are so many other needs. I truly believe that safety is the last position on our team we should worry about. Erik Coleman performed well rookie year, but slowed up as of late, I think he can be let go. As for as our CB's, well I have mixed feelings. Revis is a stud, with Law's guidance, and his own ability, this kids gunna be a perennial pro-bowler for some time. I dnno about 10 ints, but I can see him having a similar season to Cromartie next year...by that, I mean a very good one...I also like Poteat. I don't think he's a true number 2, but he's a very solid player, and very well could be our #2. I think we're gunna need to pick up an extra CB somehow this off-season, I really like Randall ***. I think between him, Poteat, and Dyson, we'd have a terrific combo of CB's...of course Revis too. You'll notice I left David Barrett out. It's because he sucks. Every time the Jets get burnt, or the team picks up a first down, it's his man. I want him gone this off-season....

Our LB situation is tricky too. We've got Harris, who's a stud, but not much else. Thomas took the year off I guess, apparently he no longer had anything to prove after he got his contract. His overall lackluster player this season, opens a huge gap on the Jets defense. The pass rush was very poor and I feel bringing in Gholston with our first round pick would be a tremendous move. However, with Oakland now in front of us, I worry at the likelihood of that. Not much of a fan of Suggs, but I love, LOVE Dansby. I sense the cards will tag his though, if they can't sign him long-term. As far as our other underachievers, we need to loose either Barton, or Hobson. I like Hobson as an ROLB a lot, and would like to keep him over Barton. ILB is now our only hole. With rumors swirling about Vilma's return, we have a huge ? there. Whether he comes back or not, is not the issue. Truly underachieving in the 3-4, Vilma could be traded, but after his injury, I'm worried that value and compensation for him won't be there, which makes me wonder if he will have more success next year with us, seeing that Harris has emerged and can support Vilma. Not really sure what we do or what we should do here...

Our D-Line was our biggest trouble though. The third worst team in the NFL against the run, Dewayne has truly proven that NT is our BIGGEST need. With not many, if any, solid options in the draft, a trade for Shaun Rogers (or someone else) might be our only option. Coleman, Bowens, and Mosely are real good backups, but it doesn't do much when the starters aren't good. Ellis starting playing better as the season went along, and looks like a player we can use. I like him dropping back and rushing as an LB on certain plays, and I like him standing up on the line against the run as well. I think RDE is a big need, to stop the run. Chris Long is an ideal player for the number 1 pick, but at this point, I don't see him falling to 6th overall. Basically, we need someone to take on two blockers, and someone to stop the run. Our D-Line, similarly to our OL, needs to be revamped this offseason.

EDIT: I just re-read everything, and realized I made a TON of typos. Kinda got tired of writing after a while, so that played a factor, but it's prolly a little confusing considering the amount of typos. If anyone wants clarification or wants me to elaborate on something, let me know.

Last edited by nvot9 : 12-31-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:48 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Nice write up. It was awesome to see the Jets pull out that win yesterday, although they still liked to make it close as always....
Old 12-31-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just thinking about our defense and I had an idea that intrigued me even though i recognize it may not be the best course to take. What if we draft gholston and sign Suggs. Granted, Suggs has seen his production decline as the talent around him has declined and perhaps his effort would decline once he is rewarded with a long term deal. Both points are valid, but perhaps with Gholston and Suggs coming off the edge, we could create a tandem similar to Phillips and Merriman in San Diego. After all, Suggs production might increase if teamed up with another dynamic pass rusher. Additionally with possible scenarios for safety blitzes from Kerry Rhodes, our defense could instantly go from merely solid to becoming a terror in the backfield. Obviously though, we still need a nose tackle, but pouha has been solid at times and perhaps we can team him up with someone in the the mid to late rounds. finally, all of this is predicated on Suggs' contract demmands and availability, but I just found it interesting to think of our defense centered around a young, athletic, versatile core of lb.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I think the tandem of gholston and thomas has potential as well. The main reason for thomas' lack of production was that his roles had switched; i don't know why they did that. He was forced to play more in coverage this year than the last couple. In a few games you did see his ability to speed rush off the edge and i think with more focus on gholston and harris he could have his 2006 season again.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/turn2/ci_7856024

according to that article Rob Ryan is headed your way and he has done a great job getting production out of young LBs so I guess the last 2 scenarios posted would make a lot of sense if he's already been accepted to the staff.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:23 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I sure hope that it's true, but if it is that means it's really good news. And being extremely pessimistic by nature when it comes to the jets, I will just assume that it won't happen until it does haha. Anyways, i've heard Ryan is supposed to meet with Al Davis this wed so i guess we'll see what's up. Thanks for article bud.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:28 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I sure hope that it's true, but if it is that means it's really good news. And being extremely pessimistic by nature when it comes to the jets, I will just assume that it won't happen until it does haha. Anyways, i've heard Ryan is supposed to meet with Al Davis this wed so i guess we'll see what's up. Thanks for article bud.
no problem, Ryan is great coach and his player love him. He does have 3-4 experience obviously and tried to run it here in Oakland year 1 but we didn't have the right players, so he adjusted and ran with Davis' man coverage in the 4-3. I'm not sure if he's going to be the D coordinator though, I've heard he's just going to be a defensive assitant as well as D coordinator, either way he'll be a great addition.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I think the tandem of gholston and thomas has potential as well. The main reason for thomas' lack of production was that his roles had switched; i don't know why they did that. He was forced to play more in coverage this year than the last couple. In a few games you did see his ability to speed rush off the edge and i think with more focus on gholston and harris he could have his 2006 season again.
I agree that pairing Thomas with Gholston is probably the smarter decision because of the risk involved with signing Suggs, but Thomas makes me even more nervous than Suggs. While there is a chance that Suggs will shut down after getting a long term deal, It seems that Thomas already has. Until his contract year he really hadn't done anything to prove himself, granted, he was in the 4-3, but I just have lost faith in Thomas for now.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

NT Dewayne Robertson removed the nameplate above his locker. Hmm. His cap number balloons to $12 million in '08; the Jets almost certainly will try to rework his contract. Interestingly, Mangini raved about backup NT Sione Pouha, calling him one of the bright spots of the season. ...AS THEY SAY THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL Mangini also praised DE C.J. Mosley, DE Shaun Ellis, (I think with those comments drafting a DE is becoming less of a possibility) RB/KR Leon Washington, Baker, C Nick Mangold and rookie LB David Harris. "I didn't realize he could rush the passer that effectively," Mangini said of Harris, who shared the team lead with five sacks. ... Mangini declined to shed any light on the Jonathan Vilma situation, except to say Vilma and Harris could both play inside linebacker at the same time in the 3-4 scheme.

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 01-01-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
NT Dewayne Robertson removed the nameplate above his locker. Hmm. His cap number balloons to $12 million in '08; the Jets almost certainly will try to rework his contract. Interestingly, Mangini raved about backup NT Sione Pouha, calling him one of the bright spots of the season. ...AS THEY SAY THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL
Yeah, unfortunately, the writing seems less like trade and more like release. :(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

That info on Dewayne is very perplexing...I wonder what that means? I can't imagine they'd cut him...

Also, I agree, Long seems less likely to me, after this info. Although if he's still available at 6, I can't imagine we pass on him (unless Gholston is ALSO available.)

Old 01-01-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
Also, I agree, Long seems less likely to me, after this info.
In the words of Bill Parcells "But that's a good thing. Not a bad thing." Unless Chris Long shows he is going for 3-4 linebacker and not d-end.

What worries me is this makes it seem less likely that a deal for Shaun Rogers is a possibility.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

I dont see Long lasting to 6 bc Oak at 5 needs help up front and their DE is a FA. KC could also grab him at 4 if Jared allen leaves. I hope no one grabs up Gholston I could see Oak taking him for some reason I dont know why but it scares me I WANT HIM and if hes not there I want a trade NO MCFADDEN! Arkansas 7 points.

What all of those quotes and stuff say to me is that within a week or so there will be shakeups within the org. players & coaches

Old 01-01-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I know Drobs contract is monsterous, but i really can't see letting him go. I am sure something will get worked out, i just hope that it doesn't get ugly.

The same thing goes for Baker. I just read that he wants to rework his contract and that he said he was "promised" that they would do so when he restructured it earlier this year. It was on rotoworld. Also, apparantly rumors are that the jets are leaning towards keeping chad around as opposed to trading him. This could either be to raise the asking price or because they are not sure about clemens.

Also, there are more papers saying that vilma just had bone chips and fragments removed and it 100% wasn't microfracture surgery. That is a great sign.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

I'm hearing that Javon Walker wants out. Vilma for Javon straight up?

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman View Post
I'm hearing that Javon Walker wants out. Vilma for Javon straight up?
I definitely wouldn't be happy with that. In a year or two, unless its New England or Indianapolis, I think Javon Walker is going to want out of wherever he ends up.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I would not be happy either. He's too darn whiney and never seems to be happy with where hes playing. I want a guy who'll just shut up and produce; i guess thats asking a lot from a prima dona position, although cotchery and coles do it well.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

assuming that the Rob Ryan rumors are true, I think this offseason could be one in which we really look to improve our defense and make it elite, because I think that is possible if a few things happen.
1) Ryan has to shine with Mangini in forming schemes and playcalling
2) pass rush pass rush pass rush. Now that everyone is off the Mcfadden bandwaggon, Vernon Gholston HAS TO be the pick. Then I think we are gonna have the money to afford one big FA and one mediocre FA. I would like to see the big one be Terrell Suggs, and our mediocre one to be a CB. These moves solidify our pass defense really nicely. I think we gotta see what we can get out of Pouha with sparingly C.J. Mosely, who knows.
3) What we do with Vilma is going to be really interesting this offseason. He is certainly a fan favorite, and a team leader. Ryan's evaluation of him will tell us what we need to know, I would like to keep him though personally unless we can get a 1st or a high 2nd for him.

Remember, defense and a running game wins championships. We can address O-line in the 2nd and 3rd rounds because there are players out there.

^^Sig From Nvot9
Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Remember, defense and a running game wins championships. We can address O-line in the 2nd and 3rd rounds because there are players out there.
The game is won in the trenches, this has been painfully obviously the last couple of years for the Jets.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd have to believe that we would want to address OL in FA at one of the two spots. I'd be more comfortable with one rookie on the line and a rookie #2 corner than two rookies on the line, but maybe that's just me.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
2) pass rush pass rush pass rush. Now that everyone is off the Mcfadden bandwaggon, Vernon Gholston HAS TO be the pick. Then I think we are gonna have the money to afford one big FA and one mediocre FA. I would like to see the big one be Terrell Suggs, and our mediocre one to be a CB.

These moves solidify our pass defense really nicely. I think we gotta see what we can get out of Pouha with sparingly C.J. Mosely, who knows.
3) What we do with Vilma is going to be really interesting this offseason. He is certainly a fan favorite, and a team leader. Ryan's evaluation of him will tell us what we need to know, I would like to keep him though personally unless we can get a 1st or a high 2nd for him.

I see Gholston and Suggs as an either/or. A shift back to the right side could do wonders for Thomas who is signed long term. I also disagree with you in terms of the cornerback, because I believe that even an average pass rush from the OLB's would make the Jets current corners look a lot better. To me, the Jets big FA move has to be an offensive linemen. Either Jordan Gross or my preference, Alan Faneca. Drafting two rookies to be day 1 starters on an offensive line as young as the Jets is far too risky. As far as the Jets mediocre signing, IMO, the Jets need a replacement for Justin McCareins a lot more than the Jets #2 cornerback.

Notable free agent WR's include

Bernard Berrian - Chicago Bears
Keary Colbert - Carolina Panthers
Andre Davis - Houston Texans
Bryant Johnson - Arizona Cardinals
Brandon Stoakley - Denver Broncos

although I'd settle for a lot less in truth if it meant McCareins hit the road.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I see Gholston and Suggs as an either/or. A shift back to the right side could do wonders for Thomas who is signed long term. I also disagree with you in terms of the cornerback, because I believe that even an average pass rush from the OLB's would make the Jets current corners look a lot better. To me, the Jets big FA move has to be an offensive linemen. Either Jordan Gross or my preference, Alan Faneca. Drafting two rookies to be day 1 starters on an offensive line as young as the Jets is far too risky. As far as the Jets mediocre signing, IMO, the Jets need a replacement for Justin McCareins a lot more than the Jets #2 cornerback.

Notable free agent WR's include

Bernard Berrian - Chicago Bears
Keary Colbert - Carolina Panthers
Andre Davis - Houston Texans
Bryant Johnson - Arizona Cardinals
Brandon Stoakley - Denver Broncos

although I'd settle for a lot less in truth if it meant McCareins hit the road.

personally I think Bryant Johnson could be the best bang for our buck out of those guys, although he is slightly unproven, the upside is there.

^^Sig From Nvot9