Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Stokely is not a FA. He got signed to a 5 year extension I think or something along those lines.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Watch the playoff games with FAs we like. These are the main OL FAs, I have to go somewhere so someone make a list of FA WRs, CBs, ILBs, OLBs so we know who to look out for in the coming weeks.

Steelers: OG Faneca & OG Starks
Colts: OGLilja & OT Scott
Seahawks: OT Locklear

It should at the very least keep the forum active.
Don't create another thread bc it will be done in 3 weeks.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I was under the impression that Starks was playing RT mostly for the steelers?? Has he had practice playing the guard position?? And, i'm not sure, but i think i read that he wont be playing the their first playoff game becuase of a knee injury or something. NOt 100% sure, so i would check that if i were u guys.

The rest of the list is good, and i think i've got a list of the free agents somewhers on my computer so i'll see if i can find it.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I was under the impression that Starks was playing RT mostly for the steelers??
Yes, Max Starks has been playing mostly RT for the Steelers and I don't recall him playing OG. He has actually been playing LT this season a bit I think. However, considering the Steelers problems protecting the QB, I'm not so sure he'd be a great signing for the Jets.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Most of the players here won't be playing in the playoffs, but will be good to keep an on eye during free agency.

WR Randy Moss - Huge year. He will be a free agent and i honestly can't see him leaving New England. However, it's been rumored that he wants market value and I think this is one reciever that the pats will actually shell out money. I mean c'mon, if you are gonna shell it out to someone, it might as well be the most talented reciever of all time.

Bernard Berrian - Put up a solid season even with the team playing musical QB's. 900ish yards and 4 tds is a lot better than anyone on our team besides coles and cotchery. Only 27 and still has tremendous speed.

Bryant Johnson - I think this could be a reciever that would fit our team. He's young and drastically overshadowed by Fitzy and Boldin. 6'3, runs good routes decent hands; basically he is what justin mccareins was suppose to be.

DL I am not going to talk about Jared Allen or Albert Haynesworth for us, because i dont' see it happening at all. Jared allen is amazing, but doesn't fit our 34. He is actually the player that i envision when i think of drafting chris long.(and not becasue they are both white...well ok maybe a little because they are) Both about the same height and weight, non stop motors and even when they don't rack up the sack they are in the qb's face at all times. But i ask you this, think if you'd want jared allen playing as our DE?? Most people would say no, because they already know he is too small. It's basically the same thing as chris long, but he's in college so a lot of people on draft boards tend to overhype college players. Also, i don't see a chance in hell that tennessee lets fat al leave.

Tommy Kelly - This move could make a lot of sense if we do indeed land Ryan. He is coming off of ACL surgery, but he was playing extremely well in his first 8ish games. Ideal size, 6'6 300 and has already worked under Ryan. Can hopefully be had for less due to injury concerns??

Terrell Suggs - Pretty obvious here. He is going to command top dollar even though he had an off year. I personally would rather draft our own olb in gholston, but he would not be a poor alternative.

Corey Williams - Young, 27ish, DT for the pakcers had a solid year. Seven sacks and 32 total tackles along with three forced fumbles. Very good at collapsing the pocket and could be given a look at for 34 DE. 6'4 313.

I mentioned Tommy Kelly and Corey williams because i have seen them play and think they could be solid 34 DEs. The next two guys i have never really seen play so the only thing i know about them is they are UFA's and have pretty good size. Jordan Carstens from the panthers is 6'5 300 and Randy Starks from the titans is 6'3 312.
All in all i am not sure we look to address DE in FA as we have much bigger needs on the OL. I think the only person that we would take a look at will be kelly due to his connection with our potential new DC as well as the fact he won't command top dollar becuase of his injury. That having been said, the development of Kareem Brown could play a role in this as well. I also would like to see something worked out for shaun rogers, but that right now just seems to be wishfull thinking

Also, the OL. My favorite player for us to go after this offseason is going to be Stacy Andrews. First off, he is a mountain of a man at 6'7 and 342 pounds and is extremely athletic and mobile fo his size. He is relatively raw in terms of football experience seeing as he started playing football his senior year of college i beleive. He started 13+ games this year and played LG the first few and RT the rest of the season. We simply couldn't ask for a better player right now; he can play both our positions of need on the offensive line, is young, very talented and basically is just huge. We already brought him in for a meeting last year and i want him more than anything this offseason. Rumor on rotoworld is that the bengals have already began contract extensions with him, Justin Smith, Madieu Williams, and LB Landon Johnson. I am going to be extremely disheartened if he resigns with the bengals before even meeting with the jets. This is THE one guy that i really want out of free agency this year.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly just with my knowledge of the Bengals either rotoworld is off or the Bengals are being morons. They have no reason to extend Smith (little production for far too much money, and the defensive line needs to be blown up besides Peko and Geathers) or Williams (overrated safety who ended the season on IR, plus they have two very solid young safeties in White and Ndukwe that will be second year guys next season and deserve an opportunity to start and they'll come cheap as well being 4th and 7th round picks). Johnson would be a decent sign for the right money but he's just a solid LB and they could probably just draft someone instead, he's probably going to get more than he's worth. Andrews would obviously make sense especially because their line is in shambles but he's the only one. Personally I think the Bengals have no reason to re-sign the first two and it would be in the best interest of the other two to hit the open market so I have to wonder if that rumor is legit.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Honestly just with my knowledge of the Bengals either rotoworld is off or the Bengals are being morons. They have no reason to extend Smith (little production for far too much money, and the defensive line needs to be blown up besides Peko and Geathers) or Williams (overrated safety who ended the season on IR, plus they have two very solid young safeties in White and Ndukwe that will be second year guys next season and deserve an opportunity to start and they'll come cheap as well being 4th and 7th round picks). Johnson would be a decent sign for the right money but he's just a solid LB and they could probably just draft someone instead, he's probably going to get more than he's worth. Andrews would obviously make sense especially because their line is in shambles but he's the only one. Personally I think the Bengals have no reason to re-sign the first two and it would be in the best interest of the other two to hit the open market so I have to wonder if that rumor is legit.

Well rotoworld just basically compiles all of the newspapers info, so i'm sure it was the news from some cinci paper and they were just speculating. I can't beleive that andrews would enter negotiations without hitting the market first. I would have to imagine he understand he'll get more money that way. Atleast i hope he does.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Yea my bad Starks has been playing RT all season I knew that but type OG.

I think Tommy Kelly would be sick for the Jets especially if Ryan goes tot the Jets...
BUT...
Rob Ryan also may go to the Ravens where Rex Ryan (HIS BROTHER) may be promoted to head coach...guys stay on your knees and pray he comes to the Jets...I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Lafayette CA. its by Oakland and SF he said he loves Ryan and as a Raiders fan is pissed at his leaving...notice the difference Bob Sutton may not been completely to blame for our poor defensive p[lay early but no ones exactly sad to see him go...Ryan is a good coordinator and is more like mangini and will provide a spark Suttons dead corpse of a presence lacked. Reminds me of a crazier Donnie Henderson... and he scared me at camp, his vocal chordes were stretched thin every practice. Keep Hoping

Old 01-04-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Yea my bad Starks has been playing RT all season I knew that but type OG.

I think Tommy Kelly would be sick for the Jets especially if Ryan goes tot the Jets...
BUT...
Rob Ryan also may go to the Ravens where Rex Ryan (HIS BROTHER) may be promoted to head coach...guys stay on your knees and pray he comes to the Jets...I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Lafayette CA. its by Oakland and SF he said he loves Ryan and as a Raiders fan is pissed at his leaving...notice the difference Bob Sutton may not been completely to blame for our poor defensive p[lay early but no ones exactly sad to see him go...Ryan is a good coordinator and is more like mangini and will provide a spark Suttons dead corpse of a presence lacked. Reminds me of a crazier Donnie Henderson... and he scared me at camp, his vocal chordes were stretched thin every practice. Keep Hoping
Well, it looks like we can get up off our knees because he is going to be staying with the raiders. Oh how i hate al davis and the fact that he is unable to let his head coach do anything.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

im pissed and think maybe it could still happen but damn im pissed...maybe but doubt it 7th rder to raiders Id do it.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Here is an interesting article that rates the 32 nfl head coaches. The biggest thing to take away from it is that there are "rumors" vilma and drob are asking for a trade. Now, take that with a grain of salt because today's sports journalism lacks a lot of credibility and i don't beleive a word of anything published until it's made official by the time ie. Rob Ryan (i hate you al davis). With the resurgent play of Pouha, i would definately welcome a trade seeking drob. Only time will tell though.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Here is an interesting article that rates the 32 nfl head coaches. The biggest thing to take away from it is that there are "rumors" vilma and drob are asking for a trade. Now, take that with a grain of salt because today's sports journalism lacks a lot of credibility and i don't beleive a word of anything published until it's made official by the time ie. Rob Ryan (i hate you al davis). With the resurgent play of Pouha, i would definately welcome a trade seeking drob. Only time will tell though.

D-rob asking for a trade..... happy trails. I hope for your sake that you're traded to a team that runs for the 4-3.
Vilma asking for a trade....... :(
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Here is some good news, hopefully. Although, I won't beleive anything until it's official, so be sure to take it with a grain of salt.

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the New York Jets interviewed former Nebraska coach Bill Callahan for their vacant offensive line coach position.
Callahan, who was fired after a tough year at Nebraska, is still plenty respected in the NFL from his days as head coach of the Raiders team that went to the Super Bowl in 2002. He earned a reputation as an offensive mastermind in Oakland, and his arrival in New York would likely help the Jets improve their running game.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Here is some good news, hopefully. Although, I won't beleive anything until it's official, so be sure to take it with a grain of salt.

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the New York Jets interviewed former Nebraska coach Bill Callahan for their vacant offensive line coach position.
Callahan, who was fired after a tough year at Nebraska, is still plenty respected in the NFL from his days as head coach of the Raiders team that went to the Super Bowl in 2002. He earned a reputation as an offensive mastermind in Oakland, and his arrival in New York would likely help the Jets improve their running game.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I just figured he helped bring the raiders to a SB, but i really have no idea how well he can develop an oline. If he's as bad as your picture warrants than i guess i'll have to make a decision when i read more about him. Also, we obviously need to get more talent in order for any of our oline coaches to work with, without the talent it's like trying to build a mud house with all sand and no water.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
I just figured he helped bring the raiders to a SB, but i really have no idea how well he can develop an oline. If he's as bad as your picture warrants than i guess i'll have to make a decision when i read more about him. Also, we obviously need to get more talent in order for any of our oline coaches to work with, without the talent it's like trying to build a mud house with all sand and no water.
I don't give Bill Callahan any credit for the Raiders Super Bowl appearance. It was Jon Gruden's team and Jon Gruden's playbook. Thats why Jon Gruden won so easily. Then Callahan proceeded to take the Raiders from first to worst in 2003. Not done yet, he left for Nebraska, where he was hired to bring the team back to national prominance. He had two losing seasons in four years. The first two in 40 years for Nebraska. Callahan will always have a job because of his SB appearance. I expect it to be at division II.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
I don't give Bill Callahan any credit for the Raiders Super Bowl appearance. It was Jon Gruden's team and Jon Gruden's playbook. Thats why Jon Gruden won so easily. Then Callahan proceeded to take the Raiders from first to worst in 2003. Not done yet, he left for Nebraska, where he was hired to bring the team back to national prominance. He had two losing seasons in four years. The first two in 40 years for Nebraska. Callahan will always have a job because of his SB appearance. I expect it to be at division II.
Ahh I see, well unless he has some hidden talent for developing offensive lines he doesn't seem to be the greatest fit in the world.

Edit: i just found this little write up on Callaghan and thought maybe he wasn't the best head coach, but a great offensive mind??

The Chicago native began his college coaching career in 1980 as a graduate assistant at University of Illinois before being promoted to full time assistant in 1981, coaching tight ends, offensive line, quarterbacks and special teams through 1986.

From 1990-1994, Callahan was offensive line coach at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He has been praised by former Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez as being one of the primary reasons why the Badgers were able to turn their program around and eventually win three Rose Bowls in the 1990s. Alvarez cited Callahan specifically for his strong recruiting abilities. Callahan previously served a two-year stint, 1987-1988, as offensive line coach at Northern Arizona University.

"Callahan led the Raiders to the 2002 AFC Championship Game and a berth in Super Bowl XXXVII in his first season as a head coach, making him just the fourth rookie head coach in NFL history to do so. The Raiders suffered a lopsided defeat, losing 48-21 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers coached by his former boss Jon Gruden. The Raiders finished with a 13-6 record in Callahan's first season.

Callahan is the third Raiders head coach to win an AFC West title and lead his team into the conference championship game in his first full season. Only Art Shell (1990) and John Madden (1969) had accomplished this feat.

Under Callahan's guidance, the Raiders led the NFL in passing for the first time in team history and led the league in total offense for just the second time in team history.

During his tenure as not only head coach but also offensive coordinator for the Raiders, Callahan earned a reputation as one of the finest offensive minds in the NFL"

Also, "Prior to joining the Raiders, Callahan coached the offensive line for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1995 to 1997."

So it appears he may be a very solid offensive line coach and this could be a good spot for him so he can rebuild himself up and get a better job in a few years.

Last edited by BroadwayJoe10 : 01-09-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 AM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

if that is true, i wouldn't mind him..it seems better than the situation we have now..hell, i couldn't even tell you the name of our offensive line coach on the team right now.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I think it was tony wise, and i heard if let go he'll probably go and coach upitt. We'll have to see what's going on, I read in an article, i think in the ny times, that we may create a position for him to specifically better the oline and running game. However, that was just speculation on the part of the sports writer im sure.

I still won't beleive it until it is proved official, i've become a synical sports article reader. Fool me once sports writers shame on you, but fool me twice...bastards!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Sorry for the double post, but i didn't want this to get lost in my previous post...

I was reading about the whole coles trade and whatnot and the more i think about it i don't think i like it at all, unless we get absolutely incredible value. Take a look at coles' stats this year; http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/...1pqTLlpcv.uLYF

You can see how our offense pretty much lived or died by how coles played. It is not just how well he played, but the games he started. Even if they didn't win, they played real close when he played. I don't think it was a coincidence at all that the game we got blown out by dallas was the first game where coles was inactive. If we are dedicated to developing clemens than i think we must keep coles and improve the oline. I will say this though, I am worried if pennington isn't starting or if he is traded what affect that will have on coles. Will he leave? I hope for a team that is hopefully willing to restructure his contract (5 years and give him bonus money this year because of the cap we have, so it makes it less of a liability if he gets hurt etc.) he won't leave them.

I also was just reading an article that had a quote from coles when the jets first drafted him; it said something along the lines of 'i know there were character issues with me and i am gratefull for the jets drafting me and i'll never forget it.' I sure hope he remembers that and doesn't leave us if penny leaves. (Also, for a character concern he certainly has evolved as a role model for all players...I think a lot of it had to do with him finally admitting he was molested as a child, that sh*ts messed up).

Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Again with the double post, but i couldn't find another threat to post it in where i didn't have the last post; atleast one of the major threads we're trying to keep the main ones.

Chad Johnson said on ESPN's Mike and Mike show Friday that he feels he was mistreated by the Bengals' organization last season.
"I was labeled selfish and a cancer, and it hurt," he said. "Fingers were pointed at me this year. If the team and the organization wants to further itself, I think you need to get rid of the problem. It hurt me. To do me that way and not to have my back. Things were said, and nobody came to my defense." That's pretty close to a trade demand. The situation between Johnson and the Bengals is set up to get ugly this offseason. J

Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting with Ocho. He's definitely up there as my favorite non-Jet right with Brian Westbrook though I would lean with Chad. I think the Bengals made a lot of mistakes with him during the season and if they do end up being forced to trade him they'll really regret it. If they do I hope he goes to the Eagles so I can watch him on Sundays down at school...other than the Jets obviously.

Also, per the early entries thread Gholston has said he will declare! Not a suprise, but certainly a helluva lot better than going back to school...
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Interesting with Ocho. He's definitely up there as my favorite non-Jet right with Brian Westbrook though I would lean with Chad. I think the Bengals made a lot of mistakes with him during the season and if they do end up being forced to trade him they'll really regret it. If they do I hope he goes to the Eagles so I can watch him on Sundays down at school...other than the Jets obviously.

Also, per the early entries thread Gholston has said he will declare! Not a suprise, but certainly a helluva lot better than going back to school...
I think the bengals would really regret letting him go and i wouldn't mind him on the eagles, basically anywhere not in the afc east. AND thank god for gholston, i didn't really doubt it but there was 1% doubt in my mind.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
I think the bengals would really regret letting him go and i wouldn't mind him on the eagles, basically anywhere not in the afc east. AND thank god for gholston, i didn't really doubt it but there was 1% doubt in my mind.
Forget that he's one of the top five receivers in the NFL, there is no way the Bengals are going to risk upsetting Carson Palmer by getting rid of Ocho Cinco. As for Gholston, the idea that he would return to Ohio State never even entered my mind. :)
Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Forget that he's one of the top five receivers in the NFL, there is no way the Bengals are going to risk upsetting Carson Palmer by getting rid of Ocho Cinco. As for Gholston, the idea that he would return to Ohio State never even entered my mind. :)
I want to agree with you on that. I don't think Ocho is any part of the problem in Cincy (part being the coaching staff and I think Carson needs to get back in sync because he looked off at times, and then obviously the defense). If they're stupid enough to realize he isn't part of the problem there, then they deserve whatever's coming if they do trade them.