Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Huh. So I guess Fitz and the Cards are way off. Would you guys do #6 and Coles for him? Personally, I'd do that in a second, regardless of what he's asking for.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Huh. So I guess Fitz and the Cards are way off. Would you guys do #6 and Coles for him? Personally, I'd do that in a second, regardless of what he's asking for.
yeah definitely
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I don't know. Any other year I'd say YES!!! JUMP ALL OVER IT!!!, but after the contract Javon Walker got, I wonder if Fitz is going to want to be the highest paid player in the NFL or something.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now I have my fingers crossed for Gholston. Fitz would be nice but at this point lets hold on to all of our picks..
Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Supposedly the Jets are pursuing Tony Richardson. That'd be one of the best signings this offseason.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedaeyebrow2 View Post
Supposedly the Jets are pursuing Tony Richardson. That'd be one of the best signings this offseason.
Yeah clearing line backers out of TJ's and Leon's way will really help. Barnes barely played but when he did he was nonexistent
Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Jets, FB Richardson agree to terms

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ts.richardson/

Quote:
Tony Richardson has confirmed to SI.com that he has agreed to terms with the New York Jets. The financial terms were not disclosed, but the deal is for one year.
Decision down to Ravens, Jets offers for Ayanbadejo

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...own_to_ravens/

Quote:
The two-time Pro Bowl special teams player said he will choose between contract offers from the Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets today, then give the Bears the opportunity to match the final offer. They're not expected to be interested after announcing Monday on the team Web site they had broken off contract talks with Ayanbadejo.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just going to post the T-Rich signing. I think it's a solid one. Since it's for one year, I fully expect us to draft a fullback and have him learn from Richardson.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as it isn't 1 year 5 million or something like that, I'm happy with the signing. Believe it or not, I'm beginning to soften my stance on the Jets drafting McFadden although I'd still prefer Gholston. With the additions of Faneca, Richardson and *sigh* Woody, the Jets o-line is starting to look like that of Minnesota.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
As long as it isn't 1 year 5 million or something like that, I'm happy with the signing. Believe it or not, I'm beginning to soften my stance on the Jets drafting McFadden although I'd still prefer Gholston. With the additions of Faneca, Richardson and *sigh* Woody, the Jets o-line is starting to look like that of Minnesota.
I've started to become more open to the idea of drafting mcfadden as well. Getting faneca and Woody is what started opening me up to the idea and then once we got pace that's what set me over. I have always loved gholston, but i just don't like the idea of putting another 40 million dollar contract with 17 mill guaranteed (roughly what laron landry got last year) into the OLB position when we already gave thomas a 25 million dollar extension and pace 20 mill guaranteed. I'm all for pass rushers, but i'd personally rather take a project like avril in the lower rounds instead of doling out more money for a guy who isn't gonna play every down. I know some people would like to just bench/cut thomas, but the FO hasn't given any indication of that. However, if the jets do sign chatman than i honestly have no idea what direction they will be going in as they will have a cluttered backfield of jones, washington and chatman.

Regarding the complaining player, I have a feeling it is Baker. I know it has coles written all over it, but he has never been one to make anything he says anonymous, he's usually very vocal about his opinions. He could have wanted to keep it anonymous, but after he was all in the media about being unhappy i have a feeling it's baker. I could really care less. If it was baker; he tried to hit the free agent market a couple years ago and no one wanted him, so he came back to us and signed a deal and now he wants more money after only one good year. The rest of the veteran don't deserve any money after gonig 4-12 and the rookies can see if they work harder they'll get paid. I just would like to see kerry locked up for an extension, but it looks like they are far off in trade talks.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 AM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

the only player i could see deserving of more $$ is rhodes..i would be really ticked off if they decide to let him test the market next year. as for coles and baker? they are two forgetable players that nobody would ever mention again after they retire so i could care less if they want to whine, be traded, hold out, etc. i say draft a WR in the 1st after you trade down with your 6, if gholston isnt available.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
the only player i could see deserving of more $$ is rhodes..i would be really ticked off if they decide to let him test the market next year. as for coles and baker? they are two forgetable players that nobody would ever mention again after they retire so i could care less if they want to whine, be traded, hold out, etc. i say draft a WR in the 1st after you trade down with your 6, if gholston isnt available.
I agree that Rhodes should be a priority...Baker is interchangeable.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

I think we all agree, its time to give Kerry his paycheck. He is a stud and it would be a HUGE blow to lose him, so we gotta stop buyin new people and just resign him.

As for Tony Richardson, solid signing. I agree si that we need a Fullback that can clear the lanes. Not to take away credit from LT, but Lorenzo Neal surely helped him break those records. I wouldn't have mind if we signed Neal, but Tony Richardson is a HUGE help. So I am happy.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
I think we all agree, its time to give Kerry his paycheck. He is a stud and it would be a HUGE blow to lose him, so we gotta stop buyin new people and just resign him.

As for Tony Richardson, solid signing. I agree si that we need a Fullback that can clear the lanes. Not to take away credit from LT, but Lorenzo Neal surely helped him break those records. I wouldn't have mind if we signed Neal, but Tony Richardson is a HUGE help. So I am happy.
I agree we need to try to renegotiate with kerry and we are. However, he is still under contract and thus our main attention had to be on the other free agents when free agency started or else we woudl have lost out. I agree that now that free agency is essentially over we should focus on signing him, but you can't just throw money obscene money at him. He will most likely sign for what gibril got or a little less because he is under contract. Generally when a player has a year left they sign for less than what free agency gives them, because there is always that chance they could get hurt this upcoming year and lose out on the money. We also have the option of franchising him, so it generally is in the benefit for the player to take the extension with the team for a little less than market value.

We are apparantly under negotiations with him, but you have to remember he is still only a safety and even though he is one of our best players we can't just give him the moon, it's not fiscally responsible. I would say 5-6 year deal worth 6 million or less a year with something like 14 million guaranteed should get it done, but if he's asking for bob sanders money or more, he should be shopped.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 03-06-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
We are apparantly under negotiations with him, but you have to remember he is still only a safety and even though he is one of our best players we can't just give him the moon, it's not fiscally responsible. I would say 5-6 year deal worth 6 million or less a year with something like 14 million guaranteed should get it done, but if he's asking for bob sanders money or more, he should be FRANCHISED.
Fixed that for you.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i love the richardson signing, just look at the KC running game before and after he left, and then look at the vikings running game before and after he got there...granted he had stud RBs, the KC running game has declined the past 2 years as the vikings running game has become one of the tops in the league...the only thing i dont like aobut this is taht we have a new FB every year which is kind of annoying...but on the other hand, i think hes high 90's in madden so its alwasy good to have some 90s on your team, although idk what hell be this year since hes 36

onto ayanbadejo...unfortunately, i read he signed with the ravens...we already have a great special teams but i think he would have been awesome with the jets, especially since we brought in O'Dea, but im not too pissed aobut this, just a little dissapointed...i dont hitnk not signing him hurt us, i just thinking signging him would have helped us

as for rhodes, we definitely have to lock him up long term, i think we all agree there...he is one of the only players that has the rigth to grope about us throwing money out in FA

now onto mcfadden...i read something very interesting today...recently i said taht i thoguth there was a great chance the raiders would draft him because they were supposively cutting rhodes and lamont, but today i read that rhodes restructured his contract (they are still expected to cut lamont), which makes it all the more likely that they will NOT draft mcfadden, which barring a trade up or a crazy draft day surprise, means he will probably fall to us...now the question comes, do we draft him...i really dont konw where i want to go with this pick, but i do know that hes not my top choice, but i wouldnt mind picking him because, well hes Run DMC, and not only does he have a sick nickname hes a major playmaker which is really what we need...as of now, i think its mcfadden, gholston/long, or a CB, with the CB obviously most addressing a need, but we still have a ways to go before the draft and things can change (i wouldnt be surprised if we signed someone or made a trade for say lito sheppard), and also we might be able to get a CB in round 2 who can come in and start for us...the problem wiht the CBs in this draft and our pick, although there a lot of late 1st and 2nd round prospects at CB, because there are no top-tier CBs and a lot of teams really need a CB, it is the most likely position to be overdrafted and have guys with 2nd round talent drafted 1st round, which could really hurt us
Old 03-06-2008, 04:44 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I was just going to post the T-Rich signing. I think it's a solid one. Since it's for one year, I fully expect us to draft a fullback and have him learn from Richardson.
i dont think that we will draft a FB as of now, although it is definitely possible, we currently have richardson and tutt on the roster and what team carries 3 FBs?...does anyone konw if we extended tutt? i heard taht for some reason or another we were extending him but idk if it happened or not, especially if we were targetting richardson...but anyway as of now, i doubt we draft a FB
Old 03-06-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well, alright, I shouldn't say I expect us to draft a FB (and by draft I mean either actually draft or bring in through UDFA), but I think we certainly should. If we had the right guy learning from Richardson, we could have a future All-Pro on our hands.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-06-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd love for us to draft a FB, this seems like a really good FB crop, a bunch of different types who all will succeed at what they do. I think Richardson's a huge signing. He's made multiple probowls and all because of his dominating blocking and paving the way for RB's. Coincidence the two big RB's he's blocked for set records? I think not...love the 1 year signing, we should have a nice run game next year, I'm all for not addressing the RB position at all this year, to see what they can do, I fully expect 2000 yards next year...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Fixed that for you.
I have no problem with franchising him, but if we shop him and someone offers incredible value than i'm all for it. I love rhodes, but a safety isn't the most important position in our defense and if someone blows us away with an offer we should take it. Now, i would hope it doesn't come to that and we can extend him for a solid contract, because he is definately one hell of a player.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Gang Green
Pro Bowler

Gang Green hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Glad to hear about the Richardson signing. At this point, I'm starting to feel like we won't have the option of choosing between Gholston and McFadden. I believe one of them will be taken before our slot.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bleh, I still see absolutely no reason to draft McFadden. I dnno what people are thinking lately, perhaps they're disillusioned by all the signings we've made, but we're still in absolutely no position to make a luxury pick, we've still got a lot of positions that need help.

Even more to the point, in light of our huge spending spree, I do not envision a possible scenario that would involve us staying at 6 right now, there's just no way they're going to invest more big long-term money at this point, I'm expecting and would be really happy with a trade down. I actually wouldn't mind acquiring a pick next year either...first or second rounder that is.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
Bleh, I still see absolutely no reason to draft McFadden. I dnno what people are thinking lately, perhaps they're disillusioned by all the signings we've made, but we're still in absolutely no position to make a luxury pick, we've still got a lot of positions that need help.

Even more to the point, in light of our huge spending spree, I do not envision a possible scenario that would involve us staying at 6 right now, there's just no way they're going to invest more big long-term money at this point, I'm expecting and would be really happy with a trade down. I actually wouldn't mind acquiring a pick next year either...first or second rounder that is.
Couple of things.

Why to draft McFadden?
Because Gholston may not be on the board
Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey are no better fits for 3-4 DE than Robertson
Drafting a #2 cornerback sixth overall is kind of a waste. And considering the cornerbacks this year, probably not worth it
WR and any OLB not named Gholston would be a HUGE reach
Keith Rivers is a worse fit for 3-4 ILB than Vilma

As far as there not being a scenario where the Jets don't trade down, I can think of one.

One where no team wants to trade up to #6 or no team is willing to give a decent offer.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

i know that mangini loves tutt, but i am all for getting rid of him and draft a FB like owen schmitt or peyton hillis on day 2 if the value is there (preferably 4th or 5th round)

as for TE...i am really thinking we should sign/draft a solid TE to a)pair with baker and b) have as insurance if the baker contract dispute doesnt work out...i konw we brought in utecht for a visit and i would love the signing but does anyone konw what his tender is cuz i know hes a RFA...if we dont sign one, i would love to draft one day 2 (again, if the value is there), say dustin keller, martellus bennet, brad cottam, or martin rucker...i think cottam would be interesting becuase he is 6'8" and could be a real red zone threat for us or keller because he is quick and can stretch the field well for a TE...what are your guys thoughts?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

to continue on with what i was just saying about pairing baker with cottam, it would be similar to the steelers approach this year where heath miller was there clear go to TE but in the red zone 6'7" matt spaeth became a big target as shown by his regular season stats (5 catches, 3 for TD's, and only 34 yards)