Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-13-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

well i saw a little while that kevin jones got cut by the lions and i read that they said they were gonan try to go RB in the draft, so i orinigally thought pick 15 could probably get the mendenhall or stewart...and then it hit me

if mcfaddens left at our pick, i can totallyyy see us swapping 1st rounders and us gettign somethign in return (roy williams anyone?)...looking at the trade value chart, the difference between the 6th pick and the 15th is 550, which is eqaul to the 3rd pick of the 2nd round...werent the lions thikning about trading roy williams for a late 1st/early 2nd? or am i just hoping that i heard that...if we werent gettgin roy williams, we coudl potentially get their 2nd round pick (mid 400s) and maybe a future pick, or maybe their 2009 1st roudner if we throw in a late roudn pick because a future 1st rounder is probably similar to a late 1st or high 2nd in the current draft, or maybe we can give rthem a conditional pick in 2009 depending on how high the pick that they gave us is (if thats even allowed)...also, maybe threy would want dewayne robertson...also 15 would be a good spot for us because we could go in a lot of different directions from there, WR (sweed, thomas, kelly), CB (mckelvin, DRC, jenkins, talib), DE (merling, balmer), or OLB (harvey, groves)

i would love this...waht are your guys thoughts
Old 03-13-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we can somehow trade D-Rob for picks. Coles for a Day 1 pick would be great too..
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
well i saw a little while that kevin jones got cut by the lions and i read that they said they were gonan try to go RB in the draft, so i orinigally thought pick 15 could probably get the mendenhall or stewart...and then it hit me

if mcfaddens left at our pick, i can totallyyy see us swapping 1st rounders and us gettign somethign in return (roy williams anyone?)...looking at the trade value chart, the difference between the 6th pick and the 15th is 550, which is eqaul to the 3rd pick of the 2nd round...werent the lions thikning about trading roy williams for a late 1st/early 2nd? or am i just hoping that i heard that...if we werent gettgin roy williams, we coudl potentially get their 2nd round pick (mid 400s) and maybe a future pick, or maybe their 2009 1st roudner if we throw in a late roudn pick because a future 1st rounder is probably similar to a late 1st or high 2nd in the current draft, or maybe we can give rthem a conditional pick in 2009 depending on how high the pick that they gave us is (if thats even allowed)...also, maybe threy would want dewayne robertson...also 15 would be a good spot for us because we could go in a lot of different directions from there, WR (sweed, thomas, kelly), CB (mckelvin, DRC, jenkins, talib), DE (merling, balmer), or OLB (harvey, groves)

i would love this...waht are your guys thoughts
even though the vilma to the lions trade didn't work, i have a feeling we can still work with their team in a trade on draft day if mcfadden is still on the board. at first, i thought that with the #6 pick we were on the outside looking in..now i think we have a few teams by the b*lls if dmac and ryan are available...i would love to have roy williams because i have a hunch coles wont be a jet by the start of training camp, or he'll just hold out like a baby.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

hey just a thought i forgot about...how about coles and our 6 for williams and the 15? that would be the best scenario.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would certainly not mind if the Jets traded down with the Lions for Roy Williams. Although I'd like for the Jets to keep Coles. And you know what? I'd very much like the Jets to sign Kevin Jones. I like his intensity as a runner and I feel a big reason he was so bad in Detroit was the Detroit OL.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No I dont want to trade Coles to the Lions I want the picks. If that trade went down it would be williams and the 15th pick for the 6th and that would equal value. Coles included would tip it in their favor immensely.

I want Roy Williams but not his FA a$$ next year.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
No I dont want to trade Coles to the Lions I want the picks. If that trade went down it would be williams and the 15th pick for the 6th and that would equal value. Coles included would tip it in their favor immensely.

I want Roy Williams but not his FA a$$ next year.
Very true. Williams would be great to nab in a trade like this, it almost makes sense. I personally don't see a reason why it couldn't happen, but i don't think it will. We'd have coles, cotch and williams; that should be enough of a security blanket for clemens' development. It would also allow us to live without coles should he end up on a different team.

It would than beg to ask who would we draft?? I would say with a WR of williams' caliber, we would definately go McKelvin, DRC or even talib depending on who the FO likes.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
New York Jets
Depth Chart
1. Wide Receiver: After talking about it for a couple of years they finally "jettisoned" Justin McCareins so depth is needed. If he keeps complaining about his contract Laveranues Coles could be gone too.
2. Cornerback: Darrelle Revis looks like he's the real deal but Justin Miller seems like he has become a permanent fixture in the coaching staff's doghouse and there really is not a whole lot of depth either.
3. Safety: Kerry Rhodes has quietly emerged as one of the premier safeties in the league but Erik Coleman bolted as a free agent and they will need to find someone better than Abram Elam next to him.
Scott's Team Needs

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fea...needs.html#nyj
Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post

I would have to agree with the first two and definately the order they are in. We definately need a #1 WR, especially since it seems coles could be on the outs. I agree with a #2 CB being a need, but not for the reasons he gave. Justin Miller isn't in the doghouse with mangini, mangnini actually praised him for the strides he made in the offseason, I'm expecting a solid year at CB for this guy.

I disagree with the safety being a need. I think abram elam played quite well last year, especially since he didn't have a complete offseason to learn the defense. Eric smith also played quite admirably and i think those two together will make a good tandem. There is also the darkhorse in Darnell Bing who could challenge for a spot down the line, should he finally utilize all of his physical

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
Very true. Williams would be great to nab in a trade like this, it almost makes sense. I personally don't see a reason why it couldn't happen, but i don't think it will. We'd have coles, cotch and williams; that should be enough of a security blanket for clemens' development. It would also allow us to live without coles should he end up on a different team.

It would than beg to ask who would we draft?? I would say with a WR of williams' caliber, we would definately go McKelvin, DRC or even talib depending on who the FO likes.
i agree with taht but think woudl could also possibly go balmer, merling, groves, or harvey there...we have a lot of options there...but i would rather get a mckelvin DRC or jenkins
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
I would have to agree with the first two and definately the order they are in. We definately need a #1 WR, especially since it seems coles could be on the outs. I agree with a #2 CB being a need, but not for the reasons he gave. Justin Miller isn't in the doghouse with mangini, mangnini actually praised him for the strides he made in the offseason, I'm expecting a solid year at CB for this guy.

I disagree with the safety being a need. I think abram elam played quite well last year, especially since he didn't have a complete offseason to learn the defense. Eric smith also played quite admirably and i think those two together will make a good tandem. There is also the darkhorse in Darnell Bing who could challenge for a spot down the line, should he finally utilize all of his physical
wow i couldnt agree more, its weird cuz withotu seeing this, i said almost the same thing on the stickied thread in the NFL Draft Forum as a response to scott
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

FYI: NEWSDAY says we are only 4.5 millionunder the cap now...SO we really really need to unload some salary as we will likely need atleast that much to sign our draft picks...
Old 03-14-2008, 10:00 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
FYI: NEWSDAY says we are only 4.5 millionunder the cap now...SO we really really need to unload some salary as we will likely need atleast that much to sign our draft picks...

Well, cutting or trading DRob clears $7.7M if we take his entire hit this year. However, if we designate him as a post 6/1 cut, we would than split the cap hit in '08 and '09, we'd have $9.8M this year (this leaves a$2.1M residual hit in '09).

If we trade drob we must take the entire cap hit this year, so we'll most likely be an additional 7+ million under the cap, which leaves us a little more than 12 million under the cap. This should be more than enough to sign all of our rookies, but we may need a little more to give rhodes his big extension.

I'm not worried about it considering tannenbaum is a genius when it comes to the cap.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Well, cutting or trading DRob clears $7.7M if we take his entire hit this year. However, if we designate him as a post 6/1 cut, we would than split the cap hit in '08 and '09, we'd have $9.8M this year (this leaves a$2.1M residual hit in '09).

If we trade drob we must take the entire cap hit this year, so we'll most likely be an additional 7+ million under the cap, which leaves us a little more than 12 million under the cap. This should be more than enough to sign all of our rookies, but we may need a little more to give rhodes his big extension.

I'm not worried about it considering tannenbaum is a genius when it comes to the cap.
I agree about Tannenbaum. The one thing I do trust him with is the cap. However with signing the rookies, and posisble Utecht/Law & anyone else we could potentially run out of room fast.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I agree about Tannenbaum. The one thing I do trust him with is the cap. However with signing the rookies, and posisble Utecht/Law & anyone else we could potentially run out of room fast.
Utecht signed with the bengals, so we don't have to worry about him anymore, which is nice. I'm not sure what's gonna happy on the law front, but i personally hope nothing happens.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

i was dissapointed to here that the bengals signed utecth to an offer sheet, and i doubt the colts sign it but either way, we have to move on at TE...cottam? what do you guys think?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:16 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
i was dissapointed to here that the bengals signed utecth to an offer sheet, and i doubt the colts sign it but either way, we have to move on at TE...cottam? what do you guys think?
I like cottam alot, but since we don't have a third we'd have to nab him in the top of the second and i'm not sure how i feel about that value. There's other guys to have in the lower rounds who are pretty decent prospects; Kellen Davis, Martin Rucker and i've heard Gary Barnidge is a guy whos rising up some boards who'll be a 6th round type of pick.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I can't believe Martin Rucker is a late round prospect. Yeah his blocking may not be great but he's a great playmaking, receiving TE. Hopefully Bill O'Callahan can teach him how to block if we draft him.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 AM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
I like cottam alot, but since we don't have a third we'd have to nab him in the top of the second and i'm not sure how i feel about that value. There's other guys to have in the lower rounds who are pretty decent prospects; Kellen Davis, Martin Rucker and i've heard Gary Barnidge is a guy whos rising up some boards who'll be a 6th round type of pick.
yeah i agree, defintely wouldnt wnat to go for a TE (especially cottam) in the 2nd
Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

Quote:
Utecht signed with the bengals, so we don't have to worry about him anymore, which is nice. I'm not sure what's gonna happy on the law front, but i personally hope nothing happens.
i guess we are stuck with baker for another year...he is a decent blocker, but not a threat to anyone's secondary. as for law, i hope we don't get him again. we have other needs at this point and you know he is going to command a lot of $$. not signing utecht was a huge blow in my opinion. we should use a draft pick on a TE in the 3rd or 4th i guess.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I like Baker. I think if used correctly he could be a good TE. He has good hands he needs to improve his route running.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone know if Jeb Putzier was signed by anyone? I remember the Jets were interested in him a few years ago.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

yea i like baker, but i think we need another TE that can be an option in the passing game
Old 03-15-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
yea i like baker, but i think we need another TE that can be an option in the passing game
Baker actually had the best hands on the team this year, but he wasn't allowed to run routes becuase our Oline was so inept. The fact that our oline is much improved, he won't have to chip the DE the entire time and will actually be able to run routes more often.

I wouldn't mind another big bodied TE who was a good blocker, but could be a threat in the red zone.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Baker actually had the best hands on the team this year, but he wasn't allowed to run routes becuase our Oline was so inept. The fact that our oline is much improved, he won't have to chip the DE the entire time and will actually be able to run routes more often.

I wouldn't mind another big bodied TE who was a good blocker, but could be a threat in the red zone.
Carlson is going to be a great day 2 steal. He would do well for the Jets.