Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
Im with derza....i want defense...also with a possible wideout thrown in there...my ideal draft is this

1. Chris Long
2. James Hardy
4. Chevis Jackson
4. Rodrick Johnson
4. Eric Foster

This is pending the D-Rob trade goin down...
That's a pretty nice mock. I'm thinking I like something along the lines of (if we get Chris Long I'm with you YNM I'm going streaking)

1. Chris Long
2. Tracy Porter/Brandon Flowers (can't decide whether I want physicality or speed/coverage ability but I like the ball skills of both)
4. Marcus Monk
4. Beau Bell

Figured I wouldn't put a D-Rob trade. Another strong possibility is a guy like Greco replacing Bell and then Foster later, I really love him for us.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Naked Jehuty

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

On another topic, what does everyone think of our supposed interest in Jonathan Stewart? I really think we should let our backs run behind our supposedly improved offensive line and from this draft want some defensive talent (corner, ILB, pass rusher, some DL talent wouldn't hurt), a wideout, and depth on the O-line along with possibly some competition at quarterback. Wouldn't mind a tight end or a big back if value presented itself.
Like I said in another thread, with Jones and Washington in the backfield there is no reason to draft a RB unless its McFadden because he's an elite talent. I think it would be a wasted pick to draft a RB.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Jehuty View Post
Like I said in another thread, with Jones and Washington in the backfield there is no reason to draft a RB unless its McFadden because he's an elite talent. I think it would be a wasted pick to draft a RB.

I agree 100%. Don;t forget we signed Chatman for depth too.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

looks like Baker left the OTAs over $$$

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008...oop_107655.htm
Old 04-23-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D-Mac is an elite prospect with elite speed. But so was Reggie Bush. If we draft D-Mac. We'll find a way eventually to get rid of his best friend Thomas Jones. Because of the contract we gave him. I'm just against drafting him. I'd take Marshawn Lynch over McFadden.

And if this is a copy cat league. Give me a Vernon Gholston (G-Men).

These media people throw out "Once in a decade prospect" comments too easily. I agreed with A.D. Looking at things if he can survive his own violent running style.

Sig by, Hitman D

Last edited by katnip : 04-23-2008 at 05:07 PM.
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
D-Mac is an elite prospect with elite speed. But so was Reggie Bush. If we draft D-Mac. We'll find a way eventually to get rid of his best friend Thomas Jones. Because of the contract we gave him. I'm just against drafting him. I'd take Marshawn Lynch over McFadden.

And if this is a copy cat league. Give me a Vernon Gholston (G-Men).

These media people throw out "Once in a decade prospect" comments too easily. I agreed with A.D. Looking at things if he can survive his own violent running style.
The difference is that Darren McFadden seems like someone who could break a tackle without the help of a second defensive player knocking away the first (yes, that did happen to Reggie). I'd much prefer Vernon Gholston too, but there is a very good chance that he won't be there.

As for Baker....... wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a worse player holding out of camp for more money.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
That's a pretty nice mock. I'm thinking I like something along the lines of (if we get Chris Long I'm with you YNM I'm going streaking)

1. Chris Long
2. Tracy Porter/Brandon Flowers (can't decide whether I want physicality or speed/coverage ability but I like the ball skills of both)
4. Marcus Monk
4. Beau Bell

Figured I wouldn't put a D-Rob trade. Another strong possibility is a guy like Greco replacing Bell and then Foster later, I really love him for us.
well let me tell you, beau bell is definately on my list becuase i have him higher then rodrick, but i dont know if he can last till the 4th. Because that guy in my eyes is late 2nd round value early 3rd. So thats another guy that id jump like a panzy for. As for the corner in the second, I prefer Tracy Porter. I just feel brandon flowers has way to bad of a rep to see him on the gang green. IF we cannot get James Hardy in the second, then Marcus Monk is a great fit. Tall strong and has those Tanginiables, so I am with you.

But, now that Jared Allen is gone, im thinking the Gang Green Is SCREWED. If your a jets fan, your praying that Glenn Dorsey goes number two. This then frees our top 3 to oakland kc and us. DON'T be shocked if we move up. I can see a possible deal sending DRob and a 4th and next years 3rd to KC to swap picks OR a possible with ATL. Atlanta is getting a lot of offers and is listening. SO don't be surprised if we move up or down come saturday.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea. Baker's average at best.

Sig by, Hitman D
Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
The difference is that Darren McFadden seems like someone who could break a tackle without the help of a second defensive player knocking away the first (yes, that did happen to Reggie). I'd much prefer Vernon Gholston too, but there is a very good chance that he won't be there.

As for Baker....... wow, I don't think I've ever heard of a worse player holding out of camp for more money.
agreeing with you, who the **** is chris baker to hold out. shut your mouth and go play you chad johnson wannabe. I mean usually love muffin maker, but he is being a panzy right now.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Naked Jehuty

I think we all agree McFadden is only a possibility if Long or Gholston aren't there
Old 04-23-2008, 06:47 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

I know we all come to this board because we love the draft and all of the machinations that goes into it, but I hope before we go crazy on saturday that we all realize just how big a crapshoot it is. There was an interesting blurb in SI this week about what was said about some recent draft picks prior to the draft

Joey Harrington: "A true leader. Clutch Player"
Cedric Benson: "He can do it all, and he doesnt' mind a heavy work load"
Ryan Sims: "Considered a very safe pick"
Shawne Merriman: "He might need a longer than normal adjustment period in the pros but should be an impact player down the road".
Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
well let me tell you, beau bell is definately on my list becuase i have him higher then rodrick, but i dont know if he can last till the 4th. Because that guy in my eyes is late 2nd round value early 3rd. So thats another guy that id jump like a panzy for. As for the corner in the second, I prefer Tracy Porter. I just feel brandon flowers has way to bad of a rep to see him on the gang green. IF we cannot get James Hardy in the second, then Marcus Monk is a great fit. Tall strong and has those Tanginiables, so I am with you.

But, now that Jared Allen is gone, im thinking the Gang Green Is SCREWED. If your a jets fan, your praying that Glenn Dorsey goes number two. This then frees our top 3 to oakland kc and us. DON'T be shocked if we move up. I can see a possible deal sending DRob and a 4th and next years 3rd to KC to swap picks OR a possible with ATL. Atlanta is getting a lot of offers and is listening. SO don't be surprised if we move up or down come saturday.
Beau Bell I love as well as Jon Goff, I'm thinking one of them is going to be there and I'd guess it's going to be Bell. Although I believe he's injured, his subpar forty time could cause him to slip. ILB's tend not to have great value and I don't think there's that many teams looking for linebackers, it could be a little hopeful but I don't think it's unrealistic to see him there.

With the corners I'd agree with you based on Flowers but supposedly it's not a big deal. The problem you were referring to I assume is the picture posted on facebook of the white substance and the money? Supposedly he's been cleared on that, it wasn't him that posted it on facebook and it got brought down soon after he knew. So taking that out of account, we're pretty much looking at skillsets here. Flowers is slower and doesn't have a great vertical to match up with bigger vertical wideouts but is physical, a great tackler, and has good ball skills. Porter on the other hand is not physical at all but is a good cover guy with good ball skills as well and provides some punt return ability. Based on skill sets they're completely opposite players so I'm sure our front office strongly prefers one or the other but I go back and forth on the two.

As far as moving up in the draft I think it will cost a little more than that. Rumor has it we could get a second from the Ravens for Pennington. We'll see what happens I'm not sure about what we're going to do hopefully it works out well I'll obviously root for whoever we pick as soon as they sign.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Youngnasty.... I can't see Dorsey going to the Rams. Carrkier is a 34 DE and a 43 DT he is currently working out at 315 lbs. I doubt hes going to play DE at that weight, plus STL has had terrible luck with DT draft picks

I also can't see us trading up....In the pre-draft news conference last year terry bradway said the draft class was top heavy with some late value...This year he reiterated that and said thats why we traded up twice. He said he believes this years class is much deeper so i would be extremely surprised considering we saw the repricutions of only having 4 draft picks last year if we trade up only having 6 and end up with 4 again. Plus we dont need more guaranteed money....McFadden interest (imo) is a smokescreen to either get Raiders to take him so gholston slips or to get someone to trade up like Jerry Jones. I know Jones doesn't want to give up both #1s this year so dont rule out the possibility of this years #1 and #3 and next years #1 (with some conditions should they have a craptastic 1st rd next year). The Cowboys are trying to win now like us, but unlike us they have an olderteam in terms of skill positions. I would do that trade in a heart beat and would trade down regardless of the board if we could get a WR. I feel QB and RB are luxury picks and in order to aid Clemens development we need a big WR for the redzone bc we will wear down opponents with shorter passes and a power running game and then hit them where it hurts. If the RB in question were AD i say take him at 6 but I just think if we want a HR hitter in the backfield we could get someone later.

W/ trade down and DRob for a 5th (its prob gonna be a 6th and cond next yr but Ill say 5 to make the mock more fluid)

1)Sweed-WR
2)Groves-OLB
3)Forte-RB
4a)Goff-ILB
4b)Williams-CB
5)Dotson-3-4 DE
6)Morris-QB
7)Williams-FS

W/ No trade prob more realistic bc even if we do trade (not in this mock) it will probably be down 4 or 5 spots to someone who wants ryan or ellis, hopefully gholston so we dont pass on him and give him to the pats. even if we trade down pats might too.

1)Gholston-OLB
Im almost positive he wont be taken by the raiders (bc theyve publicly said if its c long and mcfadden they go mcfadden soooo I think they go RB bc they can cuts rhodes and Jordan and sitll have Fargas McFadden adn Bush tandem) maybe the rams but Id be surprised...I think they go Long

2)Hardy-WR
Despite character concerns we take him bc weve had silent interest and have interviewed him alot. Redzone threat and potential to be Brandon Marshall type of reciever (still has some kinks to work out though)...Also possibility if we think his knees are okay Malcolm Kelly...His healthy will amke him slip.

4a)Goff-ILB
He'll be a huge help to our D and front 7 run d which is weak also allows for fluidity in LB core Barton can be on the field ILB and OLB.

4b) Williams-CB
Ball hawk good compliment to revis and great value, very underated if youve seen him play

6)Morris-QB
Developmental QB which might keep Penny around for cheap (as a backup) next year but to be honest I doubt it...just a fun thought. I like his progression and his praise from Joe Gibbs one of the best talent evaluators (or at least evaluators of guys he knows can hack it in the NFL) especially for the QB position...he won super bowls with different and essentially random QBs

7)Williams-FS
Good compliment to Rhodes and will push Elam. Gives us unbelievable depth at S.

Basically the same drafts just with some extra playmakers bc of the trades.
The player I name are all good fits for the jets and would be good values at the times selected.

If Dorsey goes 2nd I think we could have a much more volitile situation but even then I just could not (esp in this draft class. WO a 3rd rd pick) justify trading up.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 04-23-2008 at 07:03 PM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Naked Jehuty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I know we all come to this board because we love the draft and all of the machinations that goes into it, but I hope before we go crazy on saturday that we all realize just how big a crapshoot it is. There was an interesting blurb in SI this week about what was said about some recent draft picks prior to the draft

Joey Harrington: "A true leader. Clutch Player"
Cedric Benson: "He can do it all, and he doesnt' mind a heavy work load"
Ryan Sims: "Considered a very safe pick"
Shawne Merriman: "He might need a longer than normal adjustment period in the pros but should be an impact player down the road".
Most of us know (or should know) the draft is a complete gamble and there's no exact science in drafting a player. No one is a sure thing or a safe pick. But if you go in thinking the player ur team drafts could possibly be a bust then theres not nearly as much excitement and optimism and thats thats by far the best part of the draft; at least for me.

With that bein said, whoever we draft is a lock for the HOF. No doubt.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Quote:

HAHAHA +rep I agree

Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Most of us know (or should know) the draft is a complete gamble and there's no exact science in drafting a player. No one is a sure thing or a safe pick. But if you go in thinking the player ur team drafts could possibly be a bust then theres not nearly as much excitement and optimism and thats thats by far the best part of the draft; at least for me.

I'm going to have to completely dissagree with you there. The draft is most certainly not a crap shoot or complete gamble; if that were the case than people would just be getting lucky and luck would even out so every team ends up having average drafts. The bottom line is that it's not an exact science, but an art. There's a reasin bill polian and scott pioli and the like have had such great success in the draft; they know how to evaluate talent and to choose guys who can fit into their schemes. Yes, there are certain picks that don't pan out for whatever reason, but if you look at the draft as whole from those teams who are considered good drafters, than you'll see it's not just a crapshoot.

That having been said, i think our FO has done a very good job in top level talent scouting and I think they'll make the right selections.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i heard through the rumormill that baltimore is interested in chad for a 2nd..any truth to this? if that is the case we are going to HAVE to take ryan, which scares the crap out of me.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 AM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

chad 4 a 2nd is unrealistic and i would be so happy if that happened....but y does that mean we would have 2 draft ryan...penny is not starting 4 us anyway so idk y u say we would have 2 draft ryan.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

This is how I WANT it to go down. By round. After thinking a little about it.

1) Matt Ryan (I want flacco. but I think atlanta will take him with their 2nd rounder or a team ahead of us in the 2nd round)

2) Quentin Groves (I think he'll be a stud down the line)

4) Marcus Monk (a big body for the red zone)

6) ?

7) ?

Sig by, Hitman D
Old 04-24-2008, 01:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I'll put up what I want/predictions either today or tomorrow. I do like hcbrad put up, though.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'd be good with hcbrad's mock. Just because I wonder if people agree, one guy that I go up and down on is Hardy. For the record, I don't think he's there for us in the second. If he his though, the one thing that seems to be his weakness is dealing with more physical corners, and some top notch guys as well. Now I don't know if being in the NFL with the 5 yard contact rule will really help him out a lot, but I worry that he'll have some trouble adjusting early. Even in his bowl game against Tracy Porter and Indiana (another guy we have interest in, and for the record Porter is not an overly physical guy) he had some trouble. He's obviously a great talent and I don't think we can pass him up in the second, but I worry at times he'll have trouble adjusting to the league.

Here's another thing that's been bothering me some. Lets say we don't trade up (I really really hope we DO NOT give up 36 or a future first, even a future second would be a pain and I'm definitely AGAINST moving anywhere but down though I think we can do fine standing pat) but get McFadden at 6. Some scenario like Long to Miami, Dorsey to St. Louis, Ryan to Atlanta, Long/Gholston to Oakland, Long/Gholston to KC. What do we do to address our needs in later rounds? We have pretty immediate needs at OLB, ILB, WR, and corner. Which need do we ignore in rounds 2 and 4? We can't address all of them. I tend to think it would end up being one of the linebacker spots, probably outside which sucks because we need some pass rush. I'm not advocating this at all but I think/worry our draft could look like this before rounds 6/7:

1. McFadden
2. Porter
4.a. Bell
4.b. Monk

(I'd try to project later rounds but that's nearly impossible and I won't pretend to know what kinds of players and needs we're targeting)

Now that's some alright talent there but you're ignoring one of our four major needs. Not that I want a draft like that or think it's ideal, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened. Obviously it's tough to predict especially because we're bound to move around somewhere but things could get tough of none of the OLB prospects slip to us round 1 and we don't deal down.

I guess it's fun to make mocks but I'd really like to try and find a mock with us taking McFadden at 6 where I really like the rest and see it filling the rest of our needs will make me feel a little better if we do.

A better but still realistic scenario in my mind would look something like this, with us slipping down 10 spots in round 2 as the Bengals jump up to grab a wideout or maybe a DT like Trevor Laws while we pick up selection 112 in the fourth round and a future fourth round pick.

This would be either the same mock but with a Marcus Howard type in the fourth to bring some pass rush ability or switching out Porter for Cliff Avril and substituting hcbrad's guy Trae Williams in the fourth.

Another possibility is grabbing a Jordy Nelson/Malcolm Kelly with the second of whatever team we trade down with and grabbing Howard and Williams in the fourth along with Bell.

Drafting McFadden is a bad move IMO but if we can at least recoup some picks by trading down in the second it makes a bad move look a little better and allows us to do more.

Plus if we stand pat at 6 I don't see us standing pat all draft. Maybe it's to move up into the third with our fourths (we could get up to 88) but I tend to think we need more picks, not less, so moving down from 36 while keeping a second is a possibility for sure IMO. Who knows, we got a lot from the Redskins when we traded down and got Clemens maybe we could get an even better deal than the one I outlined.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

D-Robber is now a bronco. watch him rob them now

Sig by, Hitman D
Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3365432

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Whoever mocked Monk in the 4th I think you are severely mistaken. Ive heard 6th and 7th rd. projections ESPN (even though I hate them) Scout.com, NFL.com a lot of people are scared away by his injured knees. I think like Kelly (1st rd proj to 2nd rd now) Monk slipped in terms of how teams view him. If you are Kelly and proj 1st rd then you will prob only slip to the 2nd bc you have shown greatness and literally for about 6 weeks were the #1 WR for a lot of teams, but if your originally proj in the 4th rd (when you are 25th for a lot of teams) then you slip further bc no one wants a medium talent with injuries. Theyll risk a 2nd rd for elite or 1st rd talent and injuries. 4th rd def not bc thats where sleepers live and at least where solid contributers come from. And to be either of those you have to be on the field.

If we wait that long to take a wr Id wait til the 5th or 6th and take Adrian Arrington or Adarius Bowman. I hate Monk personally bc he lacks any type of versatility and he has scary injuries. Hes a red zone leaper (and that quality has been diminished by knee injuries)

Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Here's my thoughts on Monk, since I'm the guy you're referring to:

Obviously that projection is given his knees check out. Everything I've heard is that he's 100% now and if so I think early day 2 he's worth the injury risk. Given he ran a 4.42 at his pro day and had one of the better verticals at the combine unless there's something seriously wrong structurally it's not affecting him much now. Great height, speed, and leaping ability along with good hands, I like his talent. Something to keep in mind is that Arkansas had incredibly weak quarterback play while Monk was there and he still set some records. It's not like he didn't produce there, and he did so despite poor play at quarterback. Another thing to definitely keep in mind is he graduated in 3 1/2 years, which should make him appealing for our FO.

Maybe you're right but I think somebody takes a risk on a guy with that talent and intelligence in the 4th or 5th, and given we don't have a 5th right now I don't see any options with better top end potential in the fourth. Any ideas? I like Steve Johnson as well if we're looking at later wideouts but I think he falls into the 5/6 range, though maybe I'm wrong there too.