Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
It was the Bowe show today.
Did you see that Chiefs passing stat? He had 34 receptions and the next closest WR had 5? Man, we need another WR.

That was kind of an aside.. great game. :)

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, although we won, that is about as unsatisfying a victory as i have tasted. If those are the type of games we are going to play, we don't deserve anything. Props to the Chiefs for playing a great game. Boo to Favre who threw some inexcusable passes, just throwing them for grabs. He was atrocious. I almost wish Johnson had picked that and taken it to the house. Not actually, but that is how annoyed i was during that game. He was utter garbage. He saved his own ass by winning the game in the end.

What is with the coaching staff? Why in the world did they overthink the game and hardly run the ball? Some sort of reverse thinking? Again, just terrible. Anyone notice Washington was a weapon out there? Why not get him some more touches. Everytime he touched it he was electic. The screen, the run, the returns, the man was outstanding, but no, lets limit his touches, we don't want to win or anything. The guy can play, give him the ball, i don't think 15 touches is going to wear him out. Get him in space, screens, tosses, whatever, just get him the ball and see if he can keep with the magic.

Ugh, just terrible.
Props to good participation by Chief fans, all the best the rest of the way.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maaaan. I was a big fan of Gholston going to the Jets. I thought he was the perfect fit.

.....ouch.

I never seen a lazier player in my life.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:08 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Maaaan. I was a big fan of Gholston going to the Jets. I thought he was the perfect fit.

.....ouch.

I never seen a lazier player in my life.
I wasn't super pumped over him, but i too was expecting a whole lot more. I figured he would be a stiff bull rush type guy without enough agility and little pass coverage, but who could at least push the pocket. Thus far he has far from underperformed even my modest expectations. Lazy, lazy, lazy. I can't believe it. There is learning a new position and taking time to adjust, and then there is just straight up a lack of effort.

I don't even want to talk about him.....i'm just going to stop.

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
juiceman32
Rookie

juiceman32 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I liked him leading up to the draft then I started to have some doubts and now I am cursing that pick. We gave him a huge contract and he has done absolutely nothing. Gholston hasn't even showed a flash of being a semi-decent player so far and it is frustrating the sh*t outta me. At least Pace is continuing to be a beast, Thomas has performed better than I expected, and Jenkins is a god.
juiceman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The excessive contract is typical of all high draft picks, you know that going in, and is basically another punishment of finishing so poorly. On one hand you get what appears to be an extremely talented player, but on the other hand you have to shell out a rediculous amount of money to someone who has proven nothing and may cripple your cap down the line. We came on the wrong end of this one. I say that based on not just ability, as he can turn it around still, but the appeared lack of effort, which makes me think things will stay this way. I just want to see some hustle, and i don't, that is why i'm demoralized.

Any thoughts on what i percieve to be terrible coaching last game?

Quote:
Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 PM    (permalink
MJK

Brett Favre and Vernon Gholston:

Two horrible decisions which will probably hurt our franchise long term.

*sigh*
Old 10-28-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
MJK

As for coaching, it was absolutely horrible.

Offensively, blatantly obvious that the play calling sucked. Let's rush Leon twice, watch him get 62 yards and a TD, and then not give him another carry. Wait, no, he got one more carry. So 3 carries for 67 yards. That's not the kind of thing you would want to expand on. He also only had 3 receptions. I mean, Leon is definitely not a 20 touch guy, but he should be getting AT LEAST 10, especially in a game with that bad of a rush defense (seeing as they can't tackle, and Leon's specialty just happens to be making people miss). Jones got 14 carries, should have had around 20.

Defensively, there were at least 3 times Lowery was matched up in single coverage against Bowe, where Bowe flat out beat him. Now, I love Lowery, but seriously? KC has ONE wide receiver, and if you're not going to double him, at least have Revis covering him. I understand that with zone it's not going to always work, but then they should always have the double coverage rotated to Bowe's side (and for sure two of the times he was beat it was simply Lowery on Bowe in man, I'm sure of it).

Our gameplan sucked, but we managed to squeak out a win.

Favre also sucks.

That is all.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:44 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Glad someone else see's the same thing as me...

Quote:
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple points.
1. Still not enough touches for Leon, so ridiculous. He should be our Reggie Bush, he just doesn't get the ball.
2. I gotta believe that Favre is hurting more than he lets on. He has taken so many hits and some of his throws are just absurd.
3.Defensively we need to get more aggressive. The last few years, with less talent, once we got a better pass rush our defense has greatly improved. For some reason, now that we have better personnel for it, we aren't taking risks.
4. Everyone needs to chill on Gholston. Let's see what happens. It is so early to call him a bust. We all knew that he is a good athlete and really raw.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
4. Everyone needs to chill on Gholston. Let's see what happens. It is so early to call him a bust. We all knew that he is a good athlete and really raw.
Effort, effort, effort. Or lack there of....that is my main beef. I understand difficulties, but he has to increase his effort level to get any kind of respect from me...he seems passive and no sense of urgency.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM    (permalink
MJK

Exactly. I just don't see any fire to play the game... at all. Football is heart, not talent. To be a great player you have to have the DESIRE to be great. Gholston has the desire to get paid, which means he'll always just do enough to get a contract. Which is why I don't think he'll ever be a premiere player in this league.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets sign Marcus Mason

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/jets/...ign_a_run.html
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Exactly. I just don't see any fire to play the game... at all. Football is heart, not talent. To be a great player you have to have the DESIRE to be great. Gholston has the desire to get paid, which means he'll always just do enough to get a contract. Which is why I don't think he'll ever be a premiere player in this league.
How do you know he doesn't have desire? He may be working his ass off in practice and in the classrooms. I'm not saying that he is, but you can't say the guy lacks desire unless you have something tangible to back it up.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How do you know he doesn't have desire? He may be working his ass off in practice and in the classrooms. I'm not saying that he is, but you can't say the guy lacks desire unless you have something tangible to back it up.
i see where you are coming from, but that doesn't make sense. If he was busting ass and doing those things he would be on the field more. And if he was busting ass in those things, he would bust ass on the field to continue to play. It all comes down to on the field production. He must not be doing those things because he's not on the field. OR he is doing those things, and for some reason decides not to do them on the field.....which wouldn't make sense.

No one is saying he's out of position this, or he just isn't seeing the field so he is doing below expectation, its that he isn't seeing the field because when he's on it he is a clear liability who if watched (which he is being the first round pick and many people focus on him) is not appearing as someone putting it all on the line every play. His effort is lackluster, and that is being VERY generous. Enough people have spelled it out, it isn't made up.

Is he a bust? No, because you can't conclude that yet, and it can't be determined for another 2 years, particularly because he's in a position change. However, you CAN assess a players performance as they go, and it has been, to be blunt, bad. No if ands or buts. It has been bad. He CAN turn it around, no doubt, i'm not writing him off. BUT he has to show more effort. Generally, if a guy doesn't look to be putting it all out there, he probably isn't. There are a few exceptions, but those players are only determined to be that way when they actually produce. He hasn't done that, not even close, and therefore doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I as much as anyone hope that he makes it, but he's got to show somehting soon. Check the stats, check the FILM, check the number of plays he sees the field, it isn't a fluke, they all add up to him not performing.

Bust? No. Disappointing? Extremely. Hope still remains, but he's not the same type of athlete as Woodley, at least not in my eyes, he's to stiff and beefed up. Find a niche and stickl to it. That part may have something to do with the coaching staff, i will admit that, as i am not 100% sold on them either.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
MJK

Quote:
Watching him play is tangible enough evidence. He just doesn't seem to finish plays, doesn't seem to care.

I don't see how you can watch Gholston play and disagree with the fact that he's a lazy player.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Watching him play is tangible enough evidence. He just doesn't seem to finish plays, doesn't seem to care.

I don't see how you can watch Gholston play and disagree with the fact that he's a lazy player.
he's so rarely on the field (due to the lack of desire and effort he shows to make plays when he's on it) that i can understand if he just hasn't seen him on the field to watch....

Quote:
Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
he's so rarely on the field (due to the lack of desire and effort he shows to make plays when he's on it) that i can understand if he just hasn't seen him on the field to watch....
Partially It is because I really haven't seen him play much except for a few plays here and there. So because of my lack of sample size I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I have no evidence I'm just speculating. Perhaps it appears like he isn't trying to finish off plays and really he just isn't good enough yet. He doesn't have enough moves to get by lineman and he doesn't know how to cover. Obviously the guy needs to learn how to be an nfl player considering he could just bull rush or blow by everybody in college. Perhaps he doesn't have the desire. It was an issue people discussed in the draft process.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:09 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The coaching is terrible...Mangini and Schottenheimer should be fired!
The play calling is awful and the gameplanning is worst

The run game is so inconsistent because the team has no identity

Gholston also doesnt get snaps bc of how far behind he was bc of OSUs trimesters...give him time but i am undoubtedly dissapointed just not calling him a bust bc he doesnt get the snaps another 1st rder gets

I'm more dissapointd in Keller a 1st rounder and he can't catch simple slants!
Sure hes caught TD passes but he can't change the offense and is a dissapointment.

I want Bill Cowher or Brian Billick to come in next season bc this team is not well coached at all. Mangini can do a lot with a little but can't properly use his assests. At least Billick and Cowher both give their teams running smash mouth identities and he allows emotion in the equation. Mangini supresses fire in the locker room and on the field with his 5 second rule which is good when yorue down but you need to get pumped when you play well to get on a streak and be an elite team.

NEEDS:
1)DE
2)RT
3)SS
4)WR
5)DT-to help Jenkins
6)ILB-to help Barton

FAVORITES:
1)Tyson Jackson
2)Phil Loadholt
3)Chip Vaughn
4)Tiquan Underwood
5)BJ Raji
6)Josh Maugua

watching the game: REALLY?!?!?!?!?! A TOSS ON 2nd and 2 TERRIBLE!!!!

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 11-02-2008 at 01:37 PM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:24 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

THEY SHOULD BE FIRED...A 1 YARD PASS ON 3rd AND 12?

PHIL SIMMS: yea great call take the 3....
UNLESS YOU MISS IT

ANOTHER REASON THE CALL SUCKED BC IT PUT IT ON THE WIDE RIGHT HASH AND HE HAD TO KICK IT LEFT TO MAKE IT AND IT WAS A PULL....

MANGINI, SCHOTTENHEIMER SHOULD BE FIRED...forget the relationship Mangini has with Tannenbaum...Woody needs to step in and tell him either fire Mangini or turn in your papers! The playcalling is awful and unoriginal...1st down... designed screen? when the opposite side was wide open...2nd down run from shotgun when downhill TJ running was working...3rd as you saw above AWFUL...

SCHOTTENHEIMER AND MANGINI THINK THEY ARE SMARTER THAN THEY REALLY ARE!!

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 11-02-2008 at 01:38 PM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ugh feeley strikes again....
Old 11-02-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I can't believe they didn't take that 4th down before.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oh man come on barrett you have to catch that
Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Revis is the man!

Buffalo's D is crazy fast. That was a huge win, against a very good team.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kris Jenkins is a monster
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote