Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Nope, Rhodes and maybe Leon as a returner should have made it last year, but didn't
Yup, Leon made it as the return guy this year but Rhodes is still missing his elusive Pro Bowl berth, one of our five alternates. Hope he gets one eventually, he really deserves it.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:33 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yup, Leon made it as the return guy this year but Rhodes is still missing his elusive Pro Bowl berth, one of our five alternates. Hope he gets one eventually, he really deserves it.
Doesn't deserve it based on this season. Throw in the season Polamolu is having, and the big plays Reed has made, and there was no chance in hell. He hasn't been a playmaker this season.....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Doesn't deserve it based on this season. Throw in the season Polamolu is having, and the big plays Reed has made, and there was no chance in hell. He hasn't been a playmaker this season.....
Right, he just hasn't had his opporunities on this defense this season. It's unfortunate really, because he certainly has the talent to he just hasn't been put in that kind of position. Has been a bit more of a diva this year though, or at least it seems like it. Hopefully he gets one eventually because he's deserved it more than once...

I think NT might become a bit more of a priority this offseason with how the run defense has faltered some, I think we may have leaned a bit on Jinx too much and worn him down a bit, it would be nice to have a high level guy to develop and spell him so they both stay fresh.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:23 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with both of those comments. Rhodes has been good, but he hasn't been getting in there at the line of scrimmage blowing guys up and he hasn't been breaking up as many passes as he used to. That may change if they get a guy that is better to play next to him.

As for NT, we definitley need another guy. As good as Jenkins has been(MVPesque until the last few games), Im still nervous he'll get fat and lazy in a year or two. Even if he doesn't the backups we have can't be our starter on a regular basis. So whether it's an injury or Jenkins just getting old, we need a guy that's ready to step in.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Totally off topic but Josh, I still crack up every time I see Brooks Bollinger in your sig. Time for a new sig?

Lets go Jets!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Totally off topic but Josh, I still crack up every time I see Brooks Bollinger in your sig. Time for a new sig?

Lets go Jets!
The sig makes me crack up every time I see it too.

As far as NT's I have a feeling Raji is gone by the time we pick and he's got academic issues anyway so we may steer away from him. His teammate Brace is big and could be available around the third, some think he's actually a better NT prospect than Raji. And then you have Cody who is a monster but I think weight and academic concerns could have us avoiding him unless he's a good value, and with the hype he's getting unless he starts to slip big time I'm not sure you're going to get a good value on him. Other than that I'm not sure about draftable NT's, at least we have a good one but there's so few out there and not many teams really have a good one.

Finally, lets hope we prepared well for Seattle and are focused for todays game. Hopefully we can finally pull one out on the West Coast!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:23 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Lets go Jets!
I thought about it once or twice, but then decided against it. This sig is so old school and ridiculous. After all, even though Chrebet is retired, Bollinger no longer plays for the Jets, and Leonard graduated, the point still stands. Those three men represent a level of greatness that is not easily attainable. I should consider updating to add someone like leon washington or maybe Jericho. However, it just wouldn't be right to look down and not see that sig.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Agreed, that sig is a classic. It just wouldn't be the same reading your posts without it. Still gets a laugh from me, though.

Game time!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

That was embarassing.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fire Mangini

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
That was embarassing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Fire Mangini
QFT.

If you cant beat the backups on one of the worst team in the league, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And Mangini deserves the pink slip. Sadly, because the Jets have improved so much record wise, its not going to happen.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:22 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
This loss doesn't change the way i view our team. We should still finish out 4-0/3-1 and be in a good position for a playoff run
Nope..................
Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
QFT.

If you cant beat the backups on one of the worst team in the league, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And Mangini deserves the pink slip. Sadly, because the Jets have improved so much record wise, its not going to happen.
I don't know about that, this is one time when the intense scrutiny of new york may actually be beneficial

Sig by Me
Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nope..................
Tits, Ass, Piss out of my Ass

Sig by Me
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

**** **** **** **** Kill Me Now ****
Old 12-21-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

They could not beat Oakland, could not beat San Francisco, could not beat Seattle!

This team is so frustrating to watch. Score on the first drive of the game and do nothing after.

Maybe Buffalo will actually win a divisional game this coming week.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:47 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Saw this on another board.....

Quote:
You know your coach is a ****** when you have more ProBowlers standing with their hands on their hips than you do points on the scoreboard!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Just did some research, and i found out that we are undefeated when we call more runs than passes. Which makes me ask, where the **** has the running game gone? Every game TJ should be getting 20+ touches and Leon around 10. The running game was the key to our offense when we were on our five game winning streak, and the coaches inexcusably abandoned it.

Sig by Me
Old 12-21-2008, 11:32 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Ok now that I've calmed down Im gonna say things that aren't going to be censored. I know the team was in trouble when Mangini decided to not go for it on that 4th and 1 on the first drive. They were deep in the redzone and as the "superior" team, you need to come out and show no respect. The offense was clicking on the first drive and moved the ball down the field and the coach who has gone for it on 4th pretty often with a lot of success just decides against it for no reason. I know you can say that on the first drive you have to come out with points but you cant wimp out when so much if on the line.

The moronic theme throughout the game was that they generated no pass rush all game against a line that was decimated by injury to an extent that I can't say I have ever seen. It wasn't simply that the players didn't perform, Mangini didn't send enough guys to get pressure. I mean, SENECA WALLACE. REALLY?

The fg was not such an awful decision but at the time I did want Feely to take it but I wasn't as adamant as I was when I wanted them to go for it on 4th. Its those judgment calls that the average fan is somewhat unsure about is the call that the good coaches need to get right.

I really don't understand how this team could lose to the Raiders, Seahawks, Niners, and Chargers. Its pretty clear that it was a problem of mindset or preparation, two things that the coach needs to take care of.

I don't see Mangini getting fired by any means. The record will definitely save him, but next year could be problematic. Not awful, but maybe bad enough to get rid of Mangini. The moment when LC couldn't come down with that deep ball, there was a shot of Favre and it just looked like he wasn't coming back. Obviously at the end of a tough loss, he isn't going to have perspective, but it seems likely that if the team misses the playoffs in this embarrassing way, Favre will just get the hell out. Then next season we face a qb battle of Ratliff, Ainge, and Clemens. We have a lot of players that are borderline old so our window is closing, I'm not sure we have time to groom a young qb right now.

That whole thing was rambling and didn't really lead to any logical conclusion. I'm assuming I'll look back and see that some of this was a bit pessimistic, however, I'm a lifelong Jets fan that's how it has to be.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Screw the Jets, they don't deserve playoffs. Give me a damn break. Get Mangini out of here. Can anyone here honestly say that they think the Jets can ever win a championship with Mangini leading them? Losing to the teams they have this year, the ways they have lost, and the stupid ass 'gameplan' and playcalling have been inexcusable. Does anyone here see the players having 'respect' for someone like Mangini? He isn't a guy who commands respect and shows leadership. Maybe i'm wrong, but when you see, when you hear, and when you watch someone, you get a feeling of 'This guy wants to win, i trust him, i'll follow him!' and he doesn't give me any of those tihngs. His gameplans have been average at best. He has won some big games, yes. However, do some big wins compensate enough to cover the inexcusable loses? I don't know if they do.

I'm very frustrated with everything. Am i overreacting? Maybe. But these aren't things that i have only thought about recently. At least it is only a 3rd rounder for Favre......we don't deserve playoffs. I hope we do make it though, and it appears as though we can beat the 'good' teams, but we get some sort of ego and mindset that we are superior when we play the poor teams....

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Generally speaking I am usually in favor of stability, and don't like to rush to judgement. Not rushing to judgement worked for the Giants with Coughlin and to an extent with Cowher in Pitt..hell it even worked for Chuck Knoll and Tom Landry too-though obviously they are far superior coaches to what we have.

However I have never been a big Mangini guy. Going back to his first press conference i doubted his abilities. Usually coaches inspire the fan base on their introductory press conference, but all he did was stammer through it and make very little sense. Heck, even Rich Kotite inspired Jets fans for a few days after he got the job. Obviously not withstanding that, he has not really differentiated himself. He consistently tried to fit square pegs in round holes but we always thought he had the pedigree to coach.

But now I think his weaknesses are being shown (will not rehash them now). If they make the playoffs I think he comes back (but both coordinators should be gone..especially Sutton) if they don't make the playoffs then he should be gone on Monday.

I wonder if Bill Cowher would take Woody's money?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I never mention it, but Cowher would be an amazing addition. However, i don't see that happening, we are far from that lucky...

Mangini doesn't have the long standing record of the other individuals mentioned where patience paid off. I still hold a grudge from him being an idiot and foring the 3-4 when clearly we had next to nothing that fit that mold. He couldn't wait, he had to push it and be stupid. I see far to many consistently stupid things from him where he just keeps forcing it to maintain his ego.

If i'm a football player (or anyone), i am not thinking 'leader' when i see/hear him. You need someone who can take charge and command respect to manage a football team. I don't see him as a 'players coach' either....so where does he fit.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bringcowhertony.com
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The head coach I'd like to see the Jets bring in is Marvin Lewis. I think between the distractions, what has happened to the Bengals OL and the loss of Carson Palmer, he has lost that team, but the Jets have better defensive talent now than the Bengals ever have under Lewis' reign there and I think he would be a better fit as the Jets HC than he did as the Bengals HC.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
The head coach I'd like to see the Jets bring in is Marvin Lewis. I think between the distractions, what has happened to the Bengals OL and the loss of Carson Palmer, he has lost that team, but the Jets have better defensive talent now than the Bengals ever have under Lewis' reign there and I think he would be a better fit as the Jets HC than he did as the Bengals HC.
The guy to ask about this is Derza. He is a Bengals fans as well as a Jets fan, so he would know both sides. But I would be conflicted. I LOVE how he handled Chad; I always hate when players can get whatever they want just by demanding stuff under threat and then having coaches give in. However, as you said, he lost the the team. Even under extreme adversity, you need to hold your team together. Also, I dont like a lot of the guys he has brought in in terms of character. I don't think I need to mention names.