Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-17-2009, 08:27 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Well I was specifically talking about the first round, but you make a decent point. I guess I was looking more at his successes though, which didn't particularly come from that area. But of course, what's always carried him was defense, which hasn't even ever been in his control, and that's why I don't particularly care for him for the spot.

I agree that he may not be for us, he was a very pedestrian coach after his Super Bowl win (with Dungy's team). It seemed to me that he didnt live up to his own hype and like it was pointed out the best part of that team was the 'D' which he had very little involvement in. Plus, I couldnt handle those chucky faces every sunday. Can you imagine if Favre comes back and he is the coach, his face will permanently freeze in the chucky pose after all of those picks...
Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the Gruden idea is moot because we're sticking to our original candidates and don't want to change course. I still like Ryan a lot so if we end up with him no disappointment here.

As an aside that I'm not sure we've gone into too much here, who wants Favre back?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Troy Smith baby!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:00 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Looks like the Gruden idea is moot because we're sticking to our original candidates and don't want to change course. I still like Ryan a lot so if we end up with him no disappointment here.

As an aside that I'm not sure we've gone into too much here, who wants Favre back?
Not me. He has rubbed me the wrong way ever since he got here.

I hated hearing the second he got here, this mentality that he was just a one year deal, and he was a separate entity of the team. That whole speech he gave to the media along the lines of "You know what, I'm here, I'll do my best, but if it doesn't work out, it's OK."

I don't want to hear that Bret. Don't act like that. The Jets were committed enough to bring you here. This is New York.

I was really impressed how he started out.

I didn't mind that, while a big reason he was brought here was his arm strength, he could not throw the ball deep without getting intercepted. His short passes were crisp, had zip, and got to the receiver perfectly, something I am not sure Pennington could have done.

But the fact is, the experiment failed. We did not make playoffs, and a large part of that is because of his play the last 5 games. Although, I am not taking away credit for him helping us win games earlier in the season.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rewatch the Arizona game. I'd like Favre back even though he was one of the two big reasons the Jets lost those last few games. I'll admit one of the reasons I want to see the Jets draft a receiver early is because with Favre, I think we've seen this before. We've all thought Favre was washed up, and then the Packers brought in Greg Jennings and Jason Jones and suddenly he wasn't. That and because I thought the receiver corps played like a bunch of guys who have gotten too used to those floaters coming their way from a certain noodle armed quarterback.

Last edited by Crickett : 01-17-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I go back and forth on it all the time. Fact of the matter is we're going to have a very hard time competing next year without Favre on the roster because our quarterback position will be so uncertain. We'd basically be down to a rookie, one three young unproven quarterbacks on the roster, or a relatively mediocre veteran free agent unless we make a huge trade. A trade in all honesty would probably be a mistake because any team that's got a franchise QB isn't going to trade him away unless they have 2 and I can't really think of many teams in the league where I'd be comfortable with their second best quarterback starting for me. Plus we'd have to give up a ton. And none of the other options is appealing. At least if Favre is around we have a semi-viable option and we can groom a rookie or something to take over when he's done.

That said, we'll have a new coaching staff coming in and quite possibly a new philosophy. Maybe we won't want to toss it around as much. Our new coach is going to get time to rebuild anyway, it's just tough to tank a year. Another question is how far can Favre really take us? He really struggled towards the tail end of last year, maybe more weapons can help him but outside of an elite field stretching WR he basically had everything. Two tight ends that could catch and one that could stretch the field, two backs that could catch the ball out of the backfield, a very solid offensive line, two solid possession WR's, and a great run game to take pressure off of him. Maybe the deep threat makes a world of difference, but who knows.

The other major question for me is cap room. We're about 10 million over the cap now, if Favre retires that puts us 3 under immediately. Still not enough to get much done but it could help. Apparently if we cut guys like Bowens, Baker, I believe Ellis and a fourth guy that eludes me at the moment (Barrett maybe?) we'll be able to save around 8 million. Now that figure could be wrong because that's just something I read somewhere, but that's not even enough to get us under the cap and those first three guys have some value to us IMO. So if we keep Favre around without restructuring anybody we'd have to cut even more that, forget free agents even to sign draftees, which would be rough and kind of hurt our chances of competing anyway. I do think he gives us the best chance of competing next year, but at this point maybe that's not what it's all about, and it would obviously really hurt to cut a bunch of guys to get under the cap to keep him under the team when him retiring would almost account for everything we need to do.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843174

Looks like Rex is comin' to town! I like the hire, hopefully he gets this franchise on track. Interested to hear some of the stuff he says initially, could be some tips on what we're going to try to do in the offseason/draft, etc. Also I'm sure he'll get Favre questions, and it'll be good to know who our coordinators end up being.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843174

Looks like Rex is comin' to town! I like the hire, hopefully he gets this franchise on track. Interested to hear some of the stuff he says initially, could be some tips on what we're going to try to do in the offseason/draft, etc. Also I'm sure he'll get Favre questions, and it'll be good to know who our coordinators end up being.
Hopefully he will bring those Baltimore defensive schemes to the Jets. They have some pieces for the defense, and maybe Ryan can transfer Gholston into a stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYtitan View Post
Hopefully he will bring those Baltimore defensive schemes to the Jets. They have some pieces for the defense, and maybe Ryan can transfer Gholston into a stud
That's absolutely what I'm hoping for. I'd love to see if he can light a fire under Gholston and really turn him into a player, and I hope he brings somebody in from Baltimore to be DC and implement the same kind of scheme he ran there. I hear their linebackers coach is the early favorite for the job.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's absolutely what I'm hoping for. I'd love to see if he can light a fire under Gholston and really turn him into a player, and I hope he brings somebody in from Baltimore to be DC and implement the same kind of scheme he ran there. I hear their linebackers coach is the early favorite for the job.
I hear that Bart Scott is probably going to be the odd man out in B-More, so with your teams need to sign an ILB, maybe that piece will fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I hear that Bart Scott is probably going to be the odd man out in B-More, so with your teams need to sign an ILB, maybe that piece will fit.
Wouldn't be a bad sign at all, hopefully we could clear enough cap room to bring him in for a couple years and then we wouldn't have to address the position via draft till the mid-rounds. I'm hoping Ryan can bring in somebody at a defensive position of need (ILB, S, CB though I think our situation is probably better than theirs, DE even) from that large group of Ravens free agents that he feels is capable of starting in his scheme.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
On that note, am I the only one who would really like Maulaga if he fell to us at 17? I think he would be a great addition to this team, and give us a very nice and young LB corps

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
On that note, am I the only one who would really like Maulaga if he fell to us at 17? I think he would be a great addition to this team, and give us a very nice and young LB corps
I like Maualuga and would be fine with drafting him at 17. Preferred Brandon Spikes but he didn't enter, and I kind of prefer Clint Sintim also but who knows if Ryan or the FO will think he's a fit. Sintim's my favorite linebacker for us to draft if he's a fit inside by a decent margin because I think he's got the versatility to cover and will be nasty when we decide to send him on blitzes. He's an awesome pass rusher, I'm just not sure if he fits better inside or outside in the 3-4.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

awwwwwwwwwww MOTHER EFFIN YEAH
Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I was looking at the Ravens depth chart just to get an idea of how some of our guys are going to fit in, and they have their defensive line listed as LDT, NT, and RDT. So awesome. It'll be great to get some legit bulk up front. With that in mind though, along with our cap issues, I wonder if Shaun Ellis might be on his way out.

Also I had a question about Kerry Rhodes' position on our team given I've assumed he's a SS and he's listed as a FS basically everywhere that I posted in the 2009 draft forum. It's a little more detailed there but an answer would be pretty sweet cuz that threw me off a little.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kerry Rhodes can and has played both safety spots
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Kerry Rhodes can and has played both safety spots
Gotcha, thanks. In that case I think I would would prefer him at SS but it's nice to have the versatility to go either way come draft day and in free agency.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Yea Rhodes can play both but i would rather him at SS. I am very excited 2 have Rex as our coach and think he will turn our average 3-4 D into a terrifying ball hungry D.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hope Rex could bring over at least one big name player from the Ravens D. I heard Ray Lewis was close to an extension but Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott or Dawan Landry would be just as good too
jetvilma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
I hope Rex could bring over at least one big name player from the Ravens D. I heard Ray Lewis was close to an extension but Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott or Dawan Landry would be just as good too
I think he could if the Jets had any cap room to sign them. :(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I think he could if the Jets had any cap room to sign them. :(
Some quote on newyorkjets.com had Trevor Pryce saying he'd follow Ryan wherever he goes, along with Suggs saying he'd do anything Ryan asked him to. Doubt that means he'd play here for less money, unfortunately, but maybe we can get Pryce on the cheap as a veteran rotational guy that knows the system whenever he's a FA. It seems he's signed through 2010 so he'll probably have lost another step by then and he may want to retire given he's 33 now, but we'll see what happens. Nice to know how much they think of the guy though, and I still think if Favre retires we'll be able to finagle enough cap room to sign an average starter from the Ravens this offseason. Part of me wants Bart Scott, but I'd also like to draft a linebacker, but I also know you can't really take it for granted that one will be available at your pick. Anybody decent works though.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think i would rather pick up Landry and draft a linebacker, than sign Scott and draft a Safety. However, I think it's more likely that the opposite happens, and I'm not completely sold on which one of them i want more

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey Jet fans, Just wanted to say congrats on the Rex Ryan hiring. He deserved a HC job and finally got one in New York. Yall should be excited for your defense next year beacuse with all the talent you guys have on that side of the ball, Rex will know how to use it. Hes gonna work to the players strenghts and get the best out of em. With guys like Pace, Rhodes, Revis, Jenkins, and Harris, hes gonna work wonders with em. Good luck in 2009 guys!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:39 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

love ryan, hes been my 2nd choice (1st was cowher) since the season ended...absolutely love it and am really happy that the organization found him and stuck with him and waited for him, and didnt try to jump the gun just to sign a coach...

as for cuts/guys we lose as FAs...i think barret has to go, along with elam (only reason to keep him is his versatility as he played LB for us at times too) or eric smith...i like ellis and would like to keep him but if we have to get rid of him i wouldnt be that upset, but sticking with the DE kenyon coleman should go just becasue of how mcuh hes making even though i dont dislike for us so if we could rework that contract i wouldnt mind him...i do like bryan thomas but think we might have to get rid of him just cuz he makes a lot, IF AND ONLY IF, we have a viable option to replace him at OLB like im hoping but not sure gholston will be (hopefully ryan helps him with that)...depending on how much barton wants i say keep him...let bubba franks go, and maybe get rid of baker just because of money and how much he talks badly about the team but i think a lot of that was mangini so i wouldnt mind keeping him

as for guys i hope ryan brings in...i really hope (and think theres a godo chance) we get 1 of the 3 LBs of scott, lewis, and suggs...i think scott is the most likely to come, and would only want suggs if we got rid of thomas and ryan didnt think gholston could pan out...of course i would LOVE ray lewis...i wouldnt mind landry but would rather bring in a roamer FS but dk if thtas possible (what do you guys htink about lowery there? he led the NCAA in INTs one year, maybe he could be that centerfielder, and him and rhodes can be versatile and play both safety positions)
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ray Lewis is a FA so is Barton...Rex Ryan is our new coach. Can/do we sign Uncle Ray Ray hes only 33 and would provide much needed leadership and Ryan might want someone to lead his version of the 3-4...Also if they have a good relationship it might bring him in... SIgning him to a 3 year deal instead of Barton to a 4 year deal would make sense no, thoughts? I would love for Ryan to bring in some of his guys to help the defensive transition so we could draft offense or maybe a luxury like a 2nd NT aka RAJI so we can have Jenkins and Raji dominate and not lose pop on 3rd downs when Jenkins is out...could also use him for 4-3 fomrations to cause confusion...on offense i love percy harvin and some other skill guys like moreno who might be there when we pick...I just love the possibilities if we sign some former Ravens defensive players

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote