Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-20-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Ray Lewis is a FA so is Barton...Rex Ryan is our new coach. Can/do we sign Uncle Ray Ray hes only 33 and would provide much needed leadership and Ryan might want someone to lead his version of the 3-4...Also if they have a good relationship it might bring him in... SIgning him to a 3 year deal instead of Barton to a 4 year deal would make sense no, thoughts? I would love for Ryan to bring in some of his guys to help the defensive transition so we could draft offense or maybe a luxury like a 2nd NT aka RAJI so we can have Jenkins and Raji dominate and not lose pop on 3rd downs when Jenkins is out...could also use him for 4-3 fomrations to cause confusion...on offense i love percy harvin and some other skill guys like moreno who might be there when we pick...I just love the possibilities if we sign some former Ravens defensive players
I like your take with raji and Jenkins, but I would also be happy with Ron Brace in the later rounds.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Ray's a long shot purely due to our crappy cap situation and Bart Scott is probably the most likely ILB to sign. I'd definitely be cool with Raji but I think with lots of teams converting to the 3-4 and his stock seemingly on the rise he's gone by 17. Brace I'd like as well and probably prefer as far as value goes but it's starting to seem like he won't even be there in the third for us.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I was just reading over Scott's mock and I read in the Chargers blurb that Igor Olshansky is supposed to leave via free agency. He might not be amazing, but I can't help but think he'd be an upgrade here. Looking at his salary, he seems like someone we could actually sign. Anyone know more about him or the situation?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I just got done watching the press conference and Rex seems like the coolest guy ever. I can see why he's such a player's coach. For those that didn't see, he emphasized this being a team, and that the offense would know the defense, the defense the offense, and special teams knowing both and they'd all be better for it. He talked about a K.I.L.L. philosophy (Keep It Likable and Learnable). He wanted this to be a hard-hitting, physical team. He also said he'd let his coaches coach, and it'd be a joint effort more so than him micromanaging everything. They'd have an all-weather offense, obviously being proficient at passing and rushing. He said the defense meets as a unit, rather than having all the separate positions doing their own thing, so as to create chemistry and make players more accountable. He highlighted Jenkins, Rhodes, and Revis and noted how he'd be excited to coach Rhodes as he could be something like Ed Reed, who he said plays within their system and isn't the freelancer some assume him to be. He brought up Gholston and he's excited to coach him. He made parallels to Suggs and how he was thought of as a bust before the season started, but he coached him up and all that and believes he can do the same for Gholston as long as he humbles himself to him. He said anyone would want Favre and that he'll talk to him somewhere down the line (They also asked him when they thought that'd happen, and Rex said that he's going to talk to every player, so probably once he gets down to the F's). He also talked up B-Schott and how he was in a similar situation last year so he'd like to have him on, though it kind of sounded like a bit of him would like to see him go so that he can bring in Hue.

So essentially, he wants this team built around physicality and teamwork. Oh and he believes we'll be seeing Obama in the next couple of years.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 01-21-2009 at 10:25 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah he really did seem awesome from the quotes I saw and what you wrote up there. I think I'm going to watch the presser next time I get a chance. Love the K.I.L.L. philosophy and the desire to be a physical team. Really like the "all-weather" offense, I'm excited to get back to running the football which should be very successful for us. I also think the parallel between Gholston and Suggs is really interesting because that's the guy on the Ravens D I thought Gholston compared the most to. I won't get out of hand here because it's really premature but if he can get something out of Gholston we could have a really special linebacking core. I do get that feeling about Schott and won't be too disappointed if he leaves or stays, although at this point I almost want him gone. I'm not so sure what to take out of him saying he wants Favre back because I just don't know what else he would say in that situation. Obviously he's a guy that speaks his mind but it's pretty tough to come into your first presser with the team and say you don't want the guy back. I think he's gone anyway so not sure it matters much.

Looks like Pettine is going to be our defensive coordinator (Rotoworld has it up) which is cool, Rex seems to have a ton of respect for him and he was the OLB coach in Baltimore which also could be helpful for Gholston. I really like the group coaching philosophy also. If he works well with the offensive coordinator whoever that may be, Pettine, Callahan (who it seems like is staying, which I love), Westhoff (I think Westhoff and Callahan are great guys to lean on for a rookie head coach), and the rest of the coaches it seems like we could have a really great staff that works well together which will really benefit the players and help the product we put out on the field. I'm excited.

Also, Jim Leonhard is a FA at safety and has said he'd love to come follow Rex to NY and he really is grateful for the opportunity he gave him. Provided our front 7 is legit he could do fine next to Kerry as he had a pretty nice season next to Reed. Here's a couple quotes and the article:

And don't discount the Ryan factor. The departed coordinator likes Leonhard a lot. He wanted the Ravens to sign him out of Wisconsin as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He might get that chance now as coach of the Jets.

Leonhard also appreciates the fact that Ryan knew how best to use him.

"I would love to play for Rex again," Leonhard said. "Obviously, I have a lot of respect for him, as well as the coaches that are still here. If that opportunity comes up, who knows what will happen? I'm going to enjoy this season for a little bit, then let everything work itself out the next couple months."

And if Leonhard hits the free-agent market, how long would it take before he calls Ryan?

"Probably not long," he said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,1981132.story

Also just for kicks I looked at our schedule for next year. We play 6 games vs. playoff teams (Carolina, Tennessee, Atlanta, Indy, Miami, Miami), 5 games vs. non-playoff teams with records over .500 (New Orleans, Houston, TB, NE, NE), and 5 games vs. teams worse than .500 but none of those will be cupcakes. The Raiders who always play us tough and have a pretty young team, the Bengals who are an improving young team that played us tough without Palmer and I think are set to make a big step next season, the Jags who have been very tough in years past and could turn it around pretty easily, and the Bills twice who were 7-9 and always play us tough in the division. Should be a fun year.

EDIT: Just so I don't basically double post I just watched the presser and had a couple other thoughts. One, I thought it was interesting he solidified that Rhodes is going to be a FS, at least he specifically referred to him as a free safety so we'll be looking for a SS in the draft or FA. Also really liked that he called Revis the best corner in the league, not sure he's there yet but love the confidence he has in his players. Finally, thought the challenge to the fans to be loud was pretty cool. I've been to Baltimore and it was considerably louder than most Jets games I've been to so if we can get that kind of an atmosphere at games it'll be awesome. Just seems like an awesome guy, great hire, he basically said all the right things and it wasn't to be politically correct he genuinely meant them. I'm really excited to see what this team can do under Rex and the staff he assembles.

Last edited by derza222 : 01-21-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL-New Jets head coach Ryan wants Favre back
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
I mean, all he said was that he thought he is a tremendous player and who woulden't want a guy like that on the team. This question probably came up in the press conference.

But I'm not saying that he doesn't want him back.

I don't think Favre is going to come back anyway.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I mean, all he said was that he thought he is a tremendous player and who woulden't want a guy like that on the team. This question probably came up in the press conference.

But I'm not saying that he doesn't want him back.

I don't think Favre is going to come back anyway.
Right, I don't think he says that he doesn't want him back anyway. Just doesn't make sense to say that at this juncture, especially with Favre probably retiring anyway. It was a question in the presser. Not that he necessarily doesn't want him back, but I'm not sold he really and truly wants Favre on the team next year based on those comments in that context.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
EDIT: Just so I don't basically double post I just watched the presser and had a couple other thoughts. One, I thought it was interesting he solidified that Rhodes is going to be a FS, at least he specifically referred to him as a free safety so we'll be looking for a SS in the draft or FA.
I did find that interesting. If he does truly feel that Rhodes can be like Reed and more of a FS in his system, that sort of changes who I'd like us to look at in the draft. If that's the case, I'd be expecting someone more along the line of Delmas or Chung.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I did find that interesting. If he does truly feel that Rhodes can be like Reed and more of a FS in his system, that sort of changes who I'd like us to look at in the draft. If that's the case, I'd be expecting someone more along the line of Delmas or Chung.
My thoughts exactly, which is really nice because we can get a guy in that mold in the second round. Honestly I've been warming up to Maualuga quite a bit recently, to the point where I think I'd be cool with trading up to secure him provided we fill a need or two in free agency, and I really am not a big fan of trading up. Wouldn't be shocked if we went after Leonhard for the safety need either but I think we'll be in good shape to grab a guy in the second round if we don't.

One thing that does bum me out a little is I don't think we're going to take Maclin with Ryan and his all weather offense. I do like the all weather offense idea though as well as running the ball, just not sure if we're going to get that speedy wideout. Then again I think Maclin could play a very Santonio Holmes-like role in an all weather offense, but I just don't see it happening anymore unfortunately. My gut says he puts his staple on the defense first, and Rey would be perfect for that. He can grab an end or two next year with that nasty 3-4 end class and our front 7 would be in very nice shape. Who knows though.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i really like the idea of signing leonhard and would be comfortable with him and rhodes as our starting safeties, but would still like to bring in another S in the mid rounds

for LB, i really hope he can make gholston like suggs which ive been thinking about a lot, doesnt even have to be as good, just a legit player unlike this year, cuz pace and gholston could be a nasty tandem outside...inside of course david harris, and the issue comes up who plays next to him...i dont dislike barton but have people that i would much much rather alreayd on the top of my head...of course ray lewis is my #1 but with our cap situation i dont think that works out, and i think theres a very good chacne we end up with bart scott which i definitely would be ok with and want, unless we could get mauluga instead but theres no way of insuring that unless we traded up, so i want one of those 3 playing next to harris

as for dline, another NT would be great because you could just see how much worse our defense was in the 2nd half of the year when jenkins was hurt/tired...at de, i wanna keep ellis if we can afford it but i thnk for cap reasons colemans gotta go...i konw trevor price isnt a FA but he has said how mcuh he loves and wants to play for ryan so if he got out of the ravens i would definitrly like that...if tyson jackson is there at our spot, and all of our other top options/priorities are gone/taken care of, then im okay with that...otherwise, im fine with a smaller FA or mid-late round guy to play end for now at least

i like that westhoff and callahan are gonna stay (wouldnt mind callahan as OC) and dont konw much about pettine but trust ryans judgement there

with the offense, i dont even wanna talk about QB right now until we hear about favre...i would like maclin in the 1st, maybe even harvin, but other than that theres nobody i really love in the 1st round (of course if crabtree slipt, idc that hes not a fast guy, hes just incredible)
Old 01-22-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

couple of thoughts here. in the press confrence Rex also said he would probally call the plays for the defense so i think thats good. another is about gholston who ofcourse I thought would b a star 4 us but if we can get him to b a good blitzer and rotate him around i would b haooy with that. I still have hope 4 him so really hope he can show up this year now that mangini is out of the way.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Damn. We retained Schotty.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Damn. We retained Schotty.
Hopefully Ryan makes him run the damn ball, and give it to Washington some more.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To bad we don't have Vilma anymore...give him a mini-Rey Lewis to groom. I guess David Harris will have to do....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

dam i really wanted 2 get rid of schotty. I hope his play calling involves running the ball and a few deep balls instead of throwing 10 yard passes all game long
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

I hear our new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is looking forward 2 working with Gholston and feels he can take his talent and turn it into productivity. Definitly glade 2 hear that. He also said we have 1 of the best corners in the game which we and many of the gr8 recivers already know lol.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

He also said that Gholston lacks consistency. So essentially, if we don't see anything much out of Gholston this coming season, he's officially a bust.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Quote:
He also said that Gholston lacks consistency. So essentially, if we don't see anything much out of Gholston this coming season, he's officially a bust.
Yea hopefully he can learn how 2 show up and give 100% every down.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Yea hopefully he can learn how 2 show up and give 100% every down.
If he can't do it for Rex Ryan, a coach that ,by all accounts, is regarded as not only a good players coach, but also an intense motivator capable of getting everything out of his players, then he will never be able to. I'm not looking for a complete 180 this season into an elite player, because that seems pretty unrealistic, but I think it is conceivable to hope for him to get consistent playing time and a level of production. With the addition of Ryan and Pettine, a former linebacker coach, and the reports of LT agreeing to work with him, Gholston has every opportunity to succeed.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:24 AM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

yeah schotty definitely cant do what he did last year, and i hope bill callahan is able to have enough authority to tell him to run the ball more

if gholston is able to perform at a high level, not even his full potential, just a high level, our D could be scary
Old 01-24-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Gholston just needs 2 show a little improvement and that will make me happy. Im praying that Rex and Pettine can get him going. And as 4 the offense I will be satisfied with a balanced offense that can limit the turnovers
Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just saw that Henry Ellard is the Jets new Wide Receivers coach. Very good signing for you guys, Ellard is a great coach.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:57 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I just saw that Henry Ellard is the Jets new Wide Receivers coach. Very good signing for you guys, Ellard is a great coach.
Hopefully, the Jets will bring in some new wide receivers to go along with him early in the draft.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Hopefully, the Jets will bring in some new wide receivers to go along with him early in the draft.
Amen to that...most of us on this board have been wanting that for years,,