Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Won't that push the Jets cap room up to 36 million??? Who are they looking to get for that much money??? The Jets don't need Ray Lewis and Bart Scott after all.

As for the bidding war with the Dolphins........ Rex Ryan is the Ravens former defensive coordinator.......... and Tony Sparano is not.
Well, I guess Revis and Keller get bonuses or incentives or something, and that bumps things up a certain amount. But the cap figure hasn't even been set yet, so I think we should just assume that we're somewhere around the mid-20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
TTGS, who is the third safety you're thinking of? I guess Delmas and Chung but...unsure after that. Johnson or Vaughn, maybe?

Other thing to taken into account with this cap room is we may want to get some long-term extensions done. In this case, it could be nice to be able to get them done and frontload them a bit while leaving some space for future years. Word is we'd like to get LW and Mangold done this offseason, both of which I'd be very happy with.
I'd be very happy with that as well. And yeah, the third was Vaughn. It's funny people keep talking about moving Lowery to S when Ryan was talking about Rhodes in an Ed Reed sort of mold, which means we'd need a run stopper. Leonhard seems like a great "team" guy and appears to give it his all and I'd have no doubt that he'd become a fan favorite, but I'd just rather see a superstar duo back there.

And I guess with the Moore thing they were saying they may plan to move Woody to RG and then possibly put Hunter or Turner at RT. Really though, the way the top Tackle prospects appear to be sliding, if we do happen to bring in Scott and Leonhard, we might just be going OL in the 1st and WR in the 2nd.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

According to the Star Leger before bonuses it leaves them 37 million under the cap? JEESH...from 15 over to 37 under. That said, Moore should have stayed with a reworked deal. If we are not bringing in a QB like Rex said, then that will leave a lot of cash to be spent. If we do not spend it all, i'd like to front load some contracts for a change so there is room in the future.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Well, I guess Revis and Keller get bonuses or incentives or something, and that bumps things up a certain amount. But the cap figure hasn't even been set yet, so I think we should just assume that we're somewhere around the mid-20's.

I'd be very happy with that as well. And yeah, the third was Vaughn. It's funny people keep talking about moving Lowery to S when Ryan was talking about Rhodes in an Ed Reed sort of mold, which means we'd need a run stopper. Leonhard seems like a great "team" guy and appears to give it his all and I'd have no doubt that he'd become a fan favorite, but I'd just rather see a superstar duo back there.

And I guess with the Moore thing they were saying they may plan to move Woody to RG and then possibly put Hunter or Turner at RT. Really though, the way the top Tackle prospects appear to be sliding, if we do happen to bring in Scott and Leonhard, we might just be going OL in the 1st and WR in the 2nd.
Love Vaughn, he'd be a great addition IMO.

An unconventional but pretty sweet first 5 rounds could look like:

1. Mike Oher, RT/G, Ole Miss
2. Andre Brown, RB, NC State
3. Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss
4. Chip Vaughn, S, Wake Forest
5. Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina

Not too shabby if we re-sign Richardson and go with that Baltimore trio, provided Leonhard comes cheap. Focus on depth at ILB, on the DL, and perhaps the OL or the secondary. If that's a little too optimistic you can flip up Wallace and Vaughn a round and stick in Rashad Johnson or Shonn Greene n the fourth. Not sure it'd actually happen with Rex a defensive guy, but those guys make sense despite how unconventional it would be.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

do you have two 4th rounders this year(from Kendall trade)? I cant seem to find the official draft order beyond round 1 anywhere. Unless I am missing a trade, we should have out 4th and the Skins 4th..
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
do you have two 4th rounders this year(from Kendall trade)? I cant seem to find the official draft order beyond round 1 anywhere. Unless I am missing a trade, we should have out 4th and the Skins 4th..
We get a 4th from the 'skins, but than qe have to give our 4th to the saints I believe for the Vilma trade, but we receive their 3rd. Our 3rd than goes to Green Bay for Favre. So we have a pick in each round, but they all aren't at the #17 spot in each round.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How come we haven't been talking about Chris Canty? I didn't even know he was a FA. That's a guy we should bring in. We'd get youth and the schematic versatility Ryan desires, plus it'd mean one less signing for the Dolphins.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
3. Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss
I'm not so sure about him or needing a speedy slot guy at all for that matter. As much as I would love to get one of those shiny new receivers coming off a fast time(especially Tiquan), I just think that the answer may already be on the roster in David Clowney or Chansi Stuckey. Both guys have promise as a slot guy. Mike Wallace or any other guy in the 3-5 range don't seem to be much of an upgrade over the guys we have.

The only receiver I would want is someone that can develop into a #1 or a really good #2 that is more of a deep threat that can line up across from Cotchery. So DHB, Maclin ,Britt, Crabtree(Miracles happen). Still not comfortable with Harvin.So many of his big plays came from out of the backfield and I'm no so sure he can be the same type of weapon in the pros. He may end up being special and make me look really stupid.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I'm not so sure about him or needing a speedy slot guy at all for that matter. As much as I would love to get one of those shiny new receivers coming off a fast time(especially Tiquan), I just think that the answer may already be on the roster in David Clowney or Chansi Stuckey. Both guys have promise as a slot guy. Mike Wallace or any other guy in the 3-5 range don't seem to be much of an upgrade over the guys we have.

The only receiver I would want is someone that can develop into a #1 or a really good #2 that is more of a deep threat that can line up across from Cotchery. So DHB, Maclin ,Britt, Crabtree(Miracles happen). Still not comfortable with Harvin.So many of his big plays came from out of the backfield and I'm no so sure he can be the same type of weapon in the pros. He may end up being special and make me look really stupid.
Just curious, but what exactly makes Mike Wallace a speedy slot guy and DHB, Maclin, and potentially Harvin a #1 or #2 beyond the hype they've gotten?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just curious, but what exactly makes Mike Wallace a speedy slot guy and DHB, Maclin, and potentially Harvin a #1 or #2 beyond the hype they've gotten?
Well I haven't watched any of Wallace so I cant speak to him. I have watched DHB and Maclin and they do seem to have the skillset to be a #1. I have said that Maclin still worries me in terms of looking a bit frail, but he is a pretty electric talent.

Also, Wallace's production is nothing special. Granted DHB's production is nothing great either, but his full package of athleticism and some of the stuff i've seen him do during games makes me and many others think he has the potential.

Perhaps if I had seen Wallace I might feel that he could be a number 1. I will admit my ignorance on Wallace and say that I am just going by hype/scouting reports.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
We get a 4th from the 'skins, but than qe have to give our 4th to the saints I believe for the Vilma trade, but we receive their 3rd. Our 3rd than goes to Green Bay for Favre. So we have a pick in each round, but they all aren't at the #17 spot in each round.
As far as I understand it, this is the deal, which is why we have just one fourth. Could be wrong but that's what I think we've got.

Quote:
How come we haven't been talking about Chris Canty? I didn't even know he was a FA. That's a guy we should bring in. We'd get youth and the schematic versatility Ryan desires, plus it'd mean one less signing for the Dolphins.
Didn't really know he was available either. I'm not sure it's a huge need and he probably comes with a hefty pricetag but he's certainly a legit player and would be an upgrade so, provided we don't ignore anything else, I'd have no beef.

Quote:
Well I haven't watched any of Wallace so I cant speak to him. I have watched DHB and Maclin and they do seem to have the skillset to be a #1. I have said that Maclin still worries me in terms of looking a bit frail, but he is a pretty electric talent.

Also, Wallace's production is nothing special. Granted DHB's production is nothing great either, but his full package of athleticism and some of the stuff i've seen him do during games makes me and many others think he has the potential.

Perhaps if I had seen Wallace I might feel that he could be a number 1. I will admit my ignorance on Wallace and say that I am just going by hype/scouting reports.
Wallace is speedy, not too small, decent hands, and can get deep. Out of all of the wideouts in the round 2/3 range I think he's the best option for us as far as skill set that he'll bring to the table. He played in a tough conference and Miss liked to run the ball as far as I know. I see him being a fringe starter but he's a legit outside wideout and you have to like his potential to become more with his skill set. He looked nice at the Senior Bowl and his yards per catch are incredible. Of anybody to take a flier on if we don't draft a guy in the first, he's my personal favorite given his upside. Generally I'm not in favor of drafting a wideout if we pass in the first, though.

Anybody think there's a chance Malcolm Jenkins slips to us with his slowish forty? Chip Vaughn burned his too, maybe he becomes an option in the third or even the late second, didn't see how he looked in drills.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Im not gonna quote, but wouldnt a team like the packers, saints, or perhaps the broncos look to take a guy like Jenkins?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Antrel Rolle didn't fall out of the top ten, I don't think Jenkins will fall out of the top 15.

Last edited by Crickett : 02-10-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Oh I'm not saying he will fall to us by any stretch, but with the speed questions and the position change questions perhaps he starts to fall. Strange things happen all the time, and Mayock already had him ranked in the mid teens. I'm starting to think we're going to have somebody with a really good value slip down to our pick and have a tough decision to make.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying he will fall to us by any stretch, but with the speed questions and the position change questions perhaps he starts to fall. Strange things happen all the time, and Mayock already had him ranked in the mid teens. I'm starting to think we're going to have somebody with a really good value slip down to our pick and have a tough decision to make.
I definitley believe that because this draft lacks the obvious elite talents, it is probable that a good value will fall. I don't care so much about Jenkins' speed. Because at the very least he will be a great safety. And also, I'm sure plenty of good corner's can't run a 4.5, they make up for it with smarts and toughness.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I definitley believe that because this draft lacks the obvious elite talents, it is probable that a good value will fall. I don't care so much about Jenkins' speed. Because at the very least he will be a great safety. And also, I'm sure plenty of good corner's can't run a 4.5, they make up for it with smarts and toughness.
Right, I think he'd be technically sound enough for us to be decent across from Baby Lockdown, especially with the aggressive scheme. His ball skills are solid and I think he should be fast enough. Worst case we try him at FS and let Mr. Rhodes roam the box a little more and play deep some which I think would be a good fit for him. Although Ryan has said he sees Kerry as a FS I think he'd be better off with a FS type next to him, maybe it's just me though. Don't think he'll have to move to FS for us, though.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I'd really like for free agency to get underway so we can get a better idea of where we're probably going looking forward.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mike Nugent has decided to not return with the team and the Star-Ledger was previously incorrect when they said we have 37 million under the cap, it actually is 27 mill

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...clines_of.html
Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
Mike Nugent has decided to not return with the team and the Star-Ledger was previously incorrect when they said we have 37 million under the cap, it actually is 27 mill

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...clines_of.html
while I was for the drafting of Nugent I never thought he reached the expectations of that hihg a pick. I was happy with Feely last year and hope we keep him.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd really like for free agency to get underway so we can get a better idea of where we're probably going looking forward.
Agreed. It's hard to tell with a bunch of positions possibly going either way.

Hope those rumors of Scott being close to re-signing with the Ravens are premature/BS.

Also not shocked on Nuge, I agree he never was the kicker we drafted him to be. What an awful draft, plus the Doug Jolley trade. Gross. Could've had Heath Miller instead...not that I'm unhappy with Keller.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh and I forgot about Stacy Andrews. Tannenbaum has been high on him for a couple years now, so I wouldn't be surprised if we still were. He's coming off a big time knee surgery though and I don't know how many OL come back fine from that. But, he might come on the cheap.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh and I forgot about Stacy Andrews. Tannenbaum has been high on him for a couple years now, so I wouldn't be surprised if we still were. He's coming off a big time knee surgery though and I don't know how many OL come back fine from that. But, he might come on the cheap.
True story. He's got that swing ability at RT and RG. Think the Bengals are going to let him walk, and he's obviously quite talented. If he comes on the cheap I think we could go after him with a Hunter/Turner possibility if he gets hurt on the outside. Only concern I would have besides the injuries is he was pretty bad this past year, he may need to play on the inside which leaves Woody on the outside. If he gets hurt then we probably shuffle Woody in where I think we'd rather have him in the first place...intriguing guy though.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agreed. It's hard to tell with a bunch of positions possibly going either way.

Hope those rumors of Scott being close to re-signing with the Ravens are premature/BS.

Also not shocked on Nuge, I agree he never was the kicker we drafted him to be. What an awful draft, plus the Doug Jolley trade. Gross. Could've had Heath Miller instead...not that I'm unhappy with Keller.

But he had a sports hernia. [/sarcasm]

Sorry, this bring back bad memories as I really wanted the Jets to draft Heath Miller, hated the trade and hated the Nugent pick even more when so many Jets fans I talked to were in favor of it. The promise of a kicker who was automatic from 50+ never materialized.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
But he had a sports hernia. [/sarcasm]

Sorry, this bring back bad memories as I really wanted the Jets to draft Heath Miller, hated the trade and hated the Nugent pick even more when so many Jets fans I talked to were in favor of it. The promise of a kicker who was automatic from 50+ never materialized.
Such an awful draft. Usually I can make myself believe we made an alright move and find some sort of positive, and while I was somewhat able to do that I knew that we ****** up big time.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Such an awful draft. Usually I can make myself believe we made an alright move and find some sort of positive, and while I was somewhat able to do that I knew that we ****** up big time.
Exactly. At the time I remember a lot of Jets fans saying how a good kicker was the only reason the Jets failed in the playoffs and even if it seemed like Nugent was drafted too high, we needed him.

Worst draft ever.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Espn 2 said Coles is being released
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is online now   Reply With Quote