Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I think the big thing with Braylon is that he is motivated to prove people wrong. I think leaving Mangini for Ryan will be big for his confidence and attitude.
I'm not too worried about the distractions in terms of acting/modeling whatever because I think most athletes understand where their bread is buttered even if they decide to do stuff on the side. Braylon should benefit from playing for a competitive team, on a big stage, for a coach that is a great motivator should really benefit him.
The two things I do hate most are the draft picks and the fact that he is only signed through the year. If he is is great for the rest of the year, he can bolt for a lucrative deal with another team.

The one thing I will say that I hope comes from the deal is that the Jets resign Brandon Renkhart for the 50th time. Losing Trusnik opens up a sport for a ST/backup linebacker.
I hope so.

Not too concerned about not having him signed after the year since he's restricted and that seems to be even more restrictive with the CBA issues. If we lose him after a monster year he'll probably be tendered high (first and third) and then if he ends up elsewhere Tannenbaum has basically parlayed a fifth, Stuckey, and Trusnik into a first (assuming the thirds wash) which I'll absolutely take.

Would like to see both Braylon and LW stay after this year if he plays well though or at least shows to be a more competent pairing with Cotchery, and I wonder if there will be enough money to sign both.

Thing I'm most interested to see is how having a big, downfield WR changes this offense, particularly a guy who has been dangerous in the NFL before and teams should have to account for. I would presume it helps Sanchez, but as those around the Jets have said it also should really help Keller and the run game, which is good because in the right situation Keller will be a monster IMO (I think defenses have really been trying to take him away from Sanchez as a security blanket, though I have no basis whatsoever for that, just a guess based on his lack of production and it does make sense since he'd be a good security blanket as a tight end and is one of the most dangerous targets on the team on top of that) and this run game needs to get rolling to be effective. I also want to see me some Shonn Greene after last week's little teaser.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about the O'Connell deal that we owe a seventh for. We may end up with no picks. As a side note, I read somewhere that if Lito does not reach 85% play time and we do not have his extension kick in we do not owe a pick, can anyone confirm this? That would certainly be pretty helpful. Either way we're going to have either 3 or 4 picks which sucks, but 4 would obviously be better. Hopefully Tanny deals for some or moves back this year.

EDIT 2: I don't want to double post thus the edits, but I just read that Bart Scott put a picture of LeBron and a pair of boxing gloves in Braylon's locker and had to post it here. He's freaking hilarious.

Last edited by derza222 : 10-07-2009 at 11:39 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
EDIT: Damn, I forgot about the O'Connell deal that we owe a seventh for. We may end up with no picks. As a side note, I read somewhere that if Lito does not reach 85% play time and we do not have his extension kick in we do not owe a pick, can anyone confirm this? That would certainly be pretty helpful. Either way we're going to have either 3 or 4 picks which sucks, but 4 would obviously be better. Hopefully Tanny deals for some or moves back this year.
Don't forget the rumor about O'Connel was the Jets would evaluate him for the year than trade one of the QBs (him or Ainge or even Clemens) for a mid round pick next year..
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Don't forget the rumor about O'Connel was the Jets would evaluate him for the year than trade one of the QBs (him or Ainge or even Clemens) for a mid round pick next year..
That sounds good in theory, but it's not like we have a guaranteed 4th/5th rounder coming our way. Also, I believe Clemens is a free agent after this year.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
That sounds good in theory, but it's not like we have a guaranteed 4th/5th rounder coming our way. Also, I believe Clemens is a free agent after this year.
Agreed. Plus it's not exactly like these guys will have an opportunity to play in a scenario that will not be incredibly depressing (Sanchez injury) and even if they do there's no guarantee they play well. I'm sure there are ways to recoup picks, but unless somebody good goes (Leon or Braylon) we won't be getting anything decent in return.

On a separate note, Braylon's first practice:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-j...-Jets-practice

Hope he does well and I'm wrong about the deal. That was encouraging. His ability to come in and perform becomes even more important now that Cotch may not play Monday with the hammy.

Last edited by derza222 : 10-09-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
Also, I believe Clemens is a free agent after this year.
with the CBA up in the air he may not be.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Kerry Rhodes welcomes Braylon Edwards into his home so he has a place to stay:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...lcomes-Braylon

Edwards seems ecstatic not only to be out of Cleveland but be in New York. Have to be glad that the man is happy here, but on the same token I do wonder what the reasons are that he wants to be in NY and if they will conflict with his ability to work hard and perform on the field. Seems like he's got plenty of friends on the team though so that's good. Kind of cool to see Sanchez chilling at Kerry's house too, hopefully he and Edwards get a lot of work in together to get on the same page.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

830 cant come fast enough. I'm really anxious to see if Sanchez can recover from his first terrible rookie performance. Also, with the Pats losing, there is the added incentive of capturing 1st place.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I'm excited about this trade. Braylon put up some big numbers with D. Anderson QBing, and he has shown he is capable of being true number one reciver in the league. Him being here can really help Sanchez's development.

Is Cotchery out tonight? I can't wait to see how Braylon's presence will help him out.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I'm excited about this trade. Braylon put up some big numbers with D. Anderson QBing, and he has shown he is capable of being true number one reciver in the league. Him being here can really help Sanchez's development.

Is Cotchery out tonight? I can't wait to see how Braylon's presence will help him out.
Cotch traveled with the team so that has me at least hopeful, I don't know if they have made an official determination on his status though. The nice thing about Braylon and Cotch is Cotch has been so consistent thus far this year, and Braylon has been pretty inconsistent. So if Braylon is having a bad game Sanchez can lean on J-Co who will get his catches, and if Braylon is hot then he can take over the game. Plus he adds some size. I'm still worried about his commitment to football, but from a personnel standpoint it seems to make sense.

Can't wait for 8:30 to come around, this should be a good game.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I became a "supporter" of the Jets when you guys drafted USC QB Mark Sanchez and I have to say Im liking your team more and more. Sanchez is going to be a star, the addition of Edwards and Keller are good and the D is great. I hope you guys are contenders for a long time since my Raiders suck.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Well, that game sucked. Ryan and Pettine are going to have a ton of stuff to look at with the defense to improve on.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Well, that game sucked. Ryan and Pettine are going to have a ton of stuff to look at with the defense to improve on.
They could not stop Miami. 30 points given up? Come on.......

Hard to enjoy such a great game by Braylon (2 days of practice?) now...
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol @ Sanchez' arm
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need Lito and Strickland back. Right ******* Now.

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sad story. The only good thing to take out of these kinds of games though is that it makes it especially apparent that our weakness is in the trenches.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Did anyone catch Kris Jenkins' interview on SNY after the game? He was hopping mad. He called a few people on the carpet saying they should be doing less talking and more playing. I wonder if there is some sort of division in the locker room between the guys that are yapping and the guys that are not.

As awful a night that this was I wonder if this can be a rallying point for the JETS. They got smacked in the mouth so lets see if they get back up. No matter how good they perform from here on out the staff can always point to how they got embarassed on Monday night football!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great game but very disapointing.
Some Positives
Braylon Edwards looked great.
Sanchez did not turn the ball over.
Nice to see Clowney get some action and produce.

Some Negatives
Our O-line continues to play like garbage.
Sanchez has an awful arm.
We got pretty much no pressure on Henne.
We made Henne look like a Pro Bowler.
We couldn't stop the Wildcat.
We couldn't get a stop on 3rd down when we needed it.
Thomas Jones has lost some explosiveness.

We better show up to play next week.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kris Jenkins is our only capable starter on the defensive line
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Kris Jenkins is our only capable starter on the defensive line
He is a beast. Seriously, is this guy fun to watch or what?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just LOVE watching Kris Jenkins throw Centers like rag dolls and rush the qb. Its so amazing how much strength the guy has. Incredible.

Man, you guys have a talented team. You just need a 5 technique, and if Vernon Gholston can wake the F up, maybe youll have that WOLB you desperately need. Thomas is trash.

What sucks though is you need some youth depth to eventually replace some of your older guys, but you'll have minimal picks this year.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, a lot of the younger depth that we have right now is just coming from UDFA's because we don't have enough picks to draft guys to play those spots. There are some nice talented guys who have worked out well, but it's not exactly like drafting guys. If we can land a 5-tech that can slide inside on third downs to the nose that would be pretty clutch as well.

'Canes, I don't think Sanchez's arm is that awful. It certainly isn't elite but he gets nice zip on a lot of his passes. Underthrows some, but I think his major issue right now is anticipation skills (particularly with Edwards) that wil come with more reps and decision making. The ball he tossed up at the end of the game was just way too high, otherwise he would have been fine to reach the endzone and that wasn't exactly a short throw. Like I said he's not elite, but I think he's good enough to get it done. Probably falls at around average for an NFL starter, which isn't too bad.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was stunned when he chucked up the hail mary at the end of the game. I thought for sure we would dump it off to Leon and then just lateral it. About Sanchez' arm, I guess you are right Derza. He probabaly could have reached the endzone if he didn't launch it so high. It was just a reaction from me. I am so pissed that we blew that game.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 10-13-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
He probabaly could have eached the endzone if he didn't launch it so high. It was just a reaction from me.
I thought that either the ball slipped out of his hand or he was aiming for a tip play. Either way, I think he has a well above average arm. He's no Favre, but he's no Chad either
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
I thought that either the ball slipped out of his hand or he was aiming for a tip play. Either way, I think he has a well above average arm. He's no Favre, but he's no Chad either
I just think his arm strength could become a concern in late November and December when the wind picks up at the Meadowlands. Eli has trouble trouble throwing the ball at the Meadowlands in December with the gusty winds so it may turn into a problem. I hate to sound like a downer, just my opinion.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I just think his arm strength could become a concern in late November and December when the wind picks up at the Meadowlands. Eli has trouble trouble throwing the ball at the Meadowlands in December with the gusty winds so it may turn into a problem. I hate to sound like a downer, just my opinion.
I totally agree with this sentiment. Not even his arm strength persay, but more his experience to this point. When has he played in the cold, or bad weather? He did alright in the one rainy game this year, but that's a question that I have about him that could be a big, big issue down the road both this season and in the future when games are important.