Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

I hope we keep Faneca for at least another year. He has been looking a little older as of late, but he is still better than the majority of the guards in the league. If this report is true and we are looking to trade/waive those 3 players than I wouldn't like it. We would be messing with our team too much, when we just came off of an AFC Championship run. It's one thing to not want to be complacent by bringing in risky, hungry players but its another to break up a good thing that we have going.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
The Jets o-line is one of the team's strengths and they should not be fiddling with it.
Agree..don't forget what happened when we traded Kendal
Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peter King has Jahvid Best going to us in his mock. If it happens, massive props to TTGs who has been calling this for awhile. The more I think about it the more it makes some sense at least given the offense needs more help than the defense. Certainly would be a sexy pick, though I'm not a big first round RB guy. They have been preaching BPA quite a bit too...and something like that would have to signal a LW trade.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if McCourty is the pick. Adam Schien metioned his name a few times today. I would love it. He's physical and he can tackle. He just seems like a Rex Ryan type of guy.

As for Best, I could see it happening but that means we are saying goodbye to Leon.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I wouldn't be suprised at all if McCourty is the pick. Adam Schien metioned his name a few times today. I would love it. He's physical and he can tackle. He just seems like a Rex Ryan type of guy.

As for Best, I could see it happening but that means we are saying goodbye to Leon.
I am reading a lot about McCourty and a lot about Nate Allen. We supposedly had a private interview with Nate Allen. I would love Allen but not until the second round because his value wouldn't be high enough at 29, but love the idea of having him and Jim Leonhard in the secondary. The only thing is Rex wants a guy he can drop in the box to lay vicious hits, which would lead me to believe Taylor Mays but that seems a little far fetched.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Peter King has Jahvid Best going to us in his mock. If it happens, massive props to TTGs who has been calling this for awhile. The more I think about it the more it makes some sense at least given the offense needs more help than the defense. Certainly would be a sexy pick, though I'm not a big first round RB guy. They have been preaching BPA quite a bit too...and something like that would have to signal a LW trade.
If Jahvid (the Jet) Best ends up with you guys, take it and run. It will seriously be a match made in heaven - almost too good to be true actually. This dude is not close to fulfilling his potential and the holes that your o-linemen create are twice as large as what he saw in college. He was a human highlight reel with 9 to 10 guys in the box. Teamed up with Sanchise, it would be a powerful combo for many years. Don't think Reggie Bush, think Desean Jackson.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
If Jahvid (the Jet) Best ends up with you guys, take it and run. It will seriously be a match made in heaven - almost too good to be true actually. This dude is not close to fulfilling his potential and the holes that your o-linemen create are twice as large as what he saw in college. He was a human highlight reel with 9 to 10 guys in the box. Teamed up with Sanchise, it would be a powerful combo for many years. Don't think Reggie Bush, think Desean Jackson.
Well on top of that a backfield of Best and Greene would be ridiculous, two incredibly talented runners who complement each other really, really well. From what I've watched of Best he does a great job of breaking tackles for somebody his size, mostly because he's able to get such great angles on defenders that the tackles aren't that forceful to begin with. His ability to find holes, cut and get upfield would also be a really great fit for the blocking system we run, and he'd add an explosive element to the run game and the offense in general. I think he fits the team really well, it's just the fact that there's not much of a need there and he's a first round RB which I've never loved. It'd make sense though and I could see it happening.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Well on top of that a backfield of Best and Greene would be ridiculous, two incredibly talented runners who complement each other really, really well. From what I've watched of Best he does a great job of breaking tackles for somebody his size, mostly because he's able to get such great angles on defenders that the tackles aren't that forceful to begin with. His ability to find holes, cut and get upfield would also be a really great fit for the blocking system we run, and he'd add an explosive element to the run game and the offense in general. I think he fits the team really well, it's just the fact that there's not much of a need there and he's a first round RB which I've never loved. It'd make sense though and I could see it happening.
Derza hit the nail on the head with this one. He would be a great fit for the Green its just its not a pressing need. While we haven't seen Shonn Greene carry the load by himself (praying not another LaMont Jordan who shat an egg in Oakland), he shows the ability to do it. Best would be a scary guy to have going every other carry with Shonn Greene and we'd run some intense sets with 2 rbs in the backfield. Even with this said, I can see us trying to go after McCluster because a lot of people who have stronger knowledge on what moves the Jets are going to make have us taking him in the second round. It would be great to take best, but I would rather make a sickly defensive line/OLB/Safety since that is the strongest need currently. But all I am going to say is that if we get Jahvid Best, we are talking about 2 RB's that will crack over 1000 yards easily.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2010, 01:29 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The thing that has me on the RB bandwagon at least for now is that I think Rex is cocky enough to pass on the defense early. Use later picks and UDFA's who he thinks fit what he wants to plug those holes and improve depth and talent. Defensively the attitude still seems to be "We have the #1 defense in the league" so if they really like an offensive guy that seems to be the spot on the team that's weakest and maybe they pull the trigger. Possible that that Faneca/Thomas/Ellis stuff was a smokescreen to throw off other teams and they're planning on going in a different direction. Offensively OL value won't match up with need, I don't buy WR or TE, and QB is obviously not an issue. A stable of backs is necessary in the ground and pound - Greene gets dinged up, LW is coming off an injury, LDT is old, Chauncey Washington is entirely unproven. I doubt it happens but if they like Best (and he was ridiculous pre-injury and seems to have a great running style for the blocking scheme) it definitely makes sense on some level and I think it all comes back to Rex believing he can find guys later to fit the system because it's quite clear that there are depth and talent issues on that side of the ball.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 AM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
seems to have a great running style for the blocking scheme
Honestly, a drone could rush for 1,000 yards behind that OL. There are a number of servicable RB's in this draft, but Jahvid brings an explosiveness that is rare and watching the Jets last year, I am 100% confident he'd have a field day in that offense. He's so good in traffic and all he needs is the smallest crack and he's giving defensive coordinators a major headache. Behind your OL, there's very little contact for the RB's for the first 3/4 yards. If Jahvid can get to the LB, he can make great things happen that other players cannot. And, Jahvid is no dummy, he's not going shoulder to shoulder with Ray Lewis (the angles you were talking about). He's a very good, natural receiver too.

On a side note, I have this feeling that Pete Carroll is also targeting Jahvid Best. Pete generally had very balanced defenses at USC, meaning that he didn't often overplay the run or pass. The guys he had out there were expected to do their jobs and he won many games by just wearing out opponents. I've never seen him overload the box like he did against Cal last year. It was really completely obsurd how many guys he'd have in the box on so many plays just to bottle up Jahvid - to me, that was an ultimate sign of respect for Jahvid's game and totally disrespectful of the passing game, but hats off to Pete for winning that chess match. He sort of did the same thing Jahvid's sophmore year, not nearly to the same degree, but every play, Jahvid at a minimum had a shadow. Scouts may be overlooking Jahvid, but I highly doubt Pete is.

Bottom line: RB's are a dime a dozen, but he's got qualities you aren't going to find very often. He's better than every RB from last year and every bit as good, if not better than Spiller. Unless he goes to Oakland, you'll see what I mean...

Last edited by mellojello : 04-22-2010 at 02:27 AM.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

What I really meant by his running style fitting the scheme is that his vision and ability to make a cut and go remind me of Greene coming out last year. Greene was obviously a much stronger runner and not nearly as explosive, but make best a little slower and watch what he does as he's getting up to the LOS and they look relatively similar (at least to me). Anyway, that's plenty of speculation based on a mock and TTGS's gut feelings for now.

So it's looking like some likely possibilities include: Odrick, Hughes, McCourty, Cody, Best, Alualu, Joseph, Allen, and Mays. Some other guys like Kindle, Iupati, and Earl Thomas I left out because they seem unlikely to drop. Who else would you guys throw out as possible first round selections?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

So I just read Kipers last mock (and while a lot of people hate on him, he is pretty good at his job) he has us taking Linval Joseph out of ECU. Anyone know anything on this dude?

Via BoneKrusher
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'd check out Scott's scouting report and what TTGS wrote in this thread:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40746

To keep it brief, Joseph is a huge guy and a very good athlete for his size. Could be a really good fit at the 5-tech spot with his length and athleticism and was a solid college player. Poor man's Haloti Ngata comparison has been thrown out. Good work ethic. Did play on a great ECU DL so that may have helped him. Late riser mostly because nobody expected him to come out so they didn't watch much tape on him, but people have come away impressed after watching some.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets re-do Gholston's contract
Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I like that VG actually approached them about restructuring. Shows that he knows he hasn't deserved the kind of money he's gotten, and he's willing to work for it. Having to reach incentives to get paid and making the decision to actually restructure shows a lot about him - both his character and the fact that he wants to improve. Not that it matters to him or anyone else, but this increases my respect for him.

Hopefully this combined with the move to the defensive line means he'll be productive this year. Wonder how much he'll bulk up to, I bet he could get up to around 275 or 280 without a ton of difficulty but he doesn't have the frame to add a ton of wait. I'm not going to hold my breath, but maybe something positive will come of the Vernon Gholston selection eventually. I'm certainly rooting for the guy to come back and prove some people (including myself) wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone hear anything about thomas? i feel like rex would like to be reunited with him
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
anyone hear anything about thomas? i feel like rex would like to be reunited with him
It's still early on that front, but I would much rather have Thomas over Jason Taylor. Judging by the way this off-season is going it's not unheard of that we would release B. Thomas and sign A. Thomas. I don't think Adalius is a bad guy, there's just something about Belichick that rubs certain people the wrong way and he was obviously one of them IMO. I think Thomas would've definitely been a great fit before the Taylor signing, but now that we have Taylor it's tough to see us signing both however you never know.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I like Thomas a lot, seems unlikely at the moment though. Wonder if it's not only the scheme with the Pats but age as well, I'm sure they'll watch some tape on him but a lot of pepole associated with the team should have a good feel for him. One way or another I expect the organization to make the right call.

Interesting point was made on a blog today that usually your backup linebackers play special teams, both Thomas' and Taylor might not exactly be interested in doing that. Also it takes away the flexibility to hold onto a UDFA you like at that position a-la Westerman last year, and that seems to be how they stay young at positions on defense (to an extent). Unless of course you let BT, AT, and JT duke it out and keep the best player or two for the spot and cut somebody...not sure Adalius would sign if that's what he'd be coming into though. One perk to him is that he could probably play some ILB as well along with Westerman.

Saw on the UDFA list that the Jets posted on their website Warren is listed as a safety...found that interesting but with his speed concerns I could buy it. I'm sure they'll try him at both spots but thought it was notable that he's listed as a safety. Always love following UDFA's, hopefully at least 1 or 2 of them make the roster this year. Seems like there's a lot of open spots on the roster right now.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Im sure Bart is putting in a good word for A.Thomas and Rex really likes him so I'm sure its being discussed
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

double post

Last edited by GET LOOSE : 04-28-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

How do you guys think VG is gonna do at DE? I really hope he can do something to help out the team
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
How do you guys think VG is gonna do at DE? I really hope he can do something to help out the team
At this point, I don't think it matters what positon Gholston is playing, I don't think he wants it enough. It's a shame too. Watch any of his college games and you can see that he has all the talent in the world. For the Jets sake, hopefully he can be somewhat productive or at least give us depth and I think they'll be happy.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5143471

Very solid article by Rich Cimini. I was a big fan of the Joe McKnight selection at the time and this article only reinforces that. One interesting thing that they touched on at the end which I also wondered myself was why wouldn't Pete Carroll take McKnight instead pulling of a trade to acquire the recovering Leon Washington? Each has the same skill-set, but Pete knows Joe personally. Maybe he really was just targeting defense like he said. All I know is McKnight seems like a good person who was a great value in the 4th round IMO. I think as long as we don't put too much on his plate early on and let him run free as a kick returner/platoon RB then he will maximize his potential and we will have a steal.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't put too much thought into a college coach who made his way to the pros and did not draft the players from his college team.

Once upon a time, Butch Davis, former coach of the Miami Hurricanes drafted a running back by the name of Williams Green instead of his own college running back.

2 time pro bowler Clinton Portis.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote