Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Certainly makes sense and hopefully won't be the colossal bust Gholston was, but it leaves me wondering what the Jets are planning to do along the defensive line.
I'm pretty sure it's impossible for a 30th overall pick to be more of a bust than Gholston was. Even if they literally do nothing over the course of their career, it's at least comparable to no sacks for a sixth overall pick.

And I've got a feeling that the Jets, unfortunately, aren't going to make the DL a priority. Reminds me of awhile ago when a few years in a row people predicted the Jets would address the WR spot and they just continued to essentially ignore it. In this case I'm guessing that Ryan kind of likes some of the younger guys and thinks that he can pull some mid-late round guys and UDFA's together who will get the job done. Hopefully if value presents itself they'll jump on it, but doesn't seem like something they're going to reach for unless because they think it's a huge need unless I'm completely misreading the situation. Lots of interesting young DE's, but there's really nothing certain there and maybe even more question marks at the NT spot where there's not even really any potentially solid young depth. I hope they end up going in that direction like you do, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

As an aside, a pass rushing OLB in the first round along with a nose tackle and at least one defensive end in rounds 3-5 might fit a little more with priorities and would still be a good draft IMO. Corner's obviously a priority for Ryan in the defense but if they improve the front 7 and pass rush a bit I think it'll make the job easier for the corners and they'll be able to manufacture good safety play from players who wouldn't exactly be superstars on other defenses.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright, lets get caught up.

We cut Gholston, Taylor, Jenkins and Woody.

Looks like LT will be back for another year.

tenders-
Quote:
CB Antonio Cromartie (first-, third-round), WR Santonio Holmes (first-, third-round), WR Brad Smith (second round), S Eric Smith (third round), QB Kellen Clemens (third round), CB Drew Coleman (sixth round), K Nick Folk (sixth round), S/ST James Ihedigbo (right of first refusal) and OL Rob Turner (ROFR).
From Gang Green Nation

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like Gholston was officially cut, and Hartsock was cut also which isn't necessarily a surprise. Wonder if Bryan Thomas will be on his way out as well.

Tenders are interesting, but won't they likely be irrelevant? Still nice to have them set up just in case they will matter though.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 PM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bob Sanders visited today. Great player, but hope we pass. We can't afford to have money tied up in someone who isn't on the field.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Rex attended Corey Liuget's workout at Illinois apparently...interesting guy to keep an eye on. Fits that shorter 5-tech mold that Ryan maybe doesn't look for but doesn't seem to mind either.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a big fan of Liuget. Everytime I saw Illinois, he always stood out. Like you said, he is a little short but 6'3 isn't that bad for the 5 tech. I think he is a strong possibility at #30.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I'm a big fan of Liuget. Everytime I saw Illinois, he always stood out. Like you said, he is a little short but 6'3 isn't that bad for the 5 tech. I think he is a strong possibility at #30.
Checked his measurements and he's just a hair over 6'2, which makes him even more borderline...still don't think Ryan cares too much about height though based on who he's had playing there. Definitely a player and I think would be a really good value at #30 if he's there, and I'm all for beefing up the defensive line. Could play the first two downs at end and then be a great fit to slide inside in passing situations and get some penetration inside.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Oh, I guess Scott didn't update his height/weight. But yeah, I think he is a very good value at 30.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Let's get some converstion going in here.....If we were going to keep 1, who would you rather have, Holmes or Edwards?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-01-2011, 04:00 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

For me it has to be Holmes. Neither WR has great hands but Holmes brings that clutchness to the table. He made so many big plays for us down the stretch after missing the first four games. Hopefully this CBA gets decided in the near future so he can get somewhat of an offseason to work with the Sanchize. Giving a long term contract to either WR would be a gamble though given their off the field problems.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I prefer Holmes but i really really really really want both of them back

Like, a lot

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
For me it has to be Holmes. Neither WR has great hands but Holmes brings that clutchness to the table. He made so many big plays for us down the stretch after missing the first four games. Hopefully this CBA gets decided in the near future so he can get somewhat of an offseason to work with the Sanchize. Giving a long term contract to either WR would be a gamble though given their off the field problems.

I agree...Holmes is the more dynamic of the two. He seems to make the big play, especially when it counts. His 'clutchness' is something that can't be easily replaced.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.

I prefer Holmes. The guy has proven he can step up in clutch situations. Let's center the offense more around controlling the clock with the ground game and having the pass as a 2nd option. Of course, there's gonna be a time when we need Sanchez and the passing offense to make a play in the air. When it's crunch time and that's the case I'd much rather have Holmes than Edwards.

Not that Edwards hasn't been a good player. When you factor in his off the field issues though it makes it an easier decision.
Jersey/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I can't decide who I'd rathe keep, I keep going back and forth. But right now I'm leaning towards Braylon Edwards. Not many guys in the league with the size/speed combo like Edwards. He can also make grabs that many players in the league can't. His hands also improved a lot last year and I think he is maturing. On the flip side, Holmes is a more dynamic player with that speed.

I think Holmes may be easier to replace and I think he'll want more money than Edwards.

It will be really nice to bring back both, though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

What's everyone hoping for in the draft in terms of overall strategy, positions that we plan to address, etc? Getting pretty close to draft day now so obviously since we're all huge draft fans people have some sort of feel for what they want to go down. Also, thoughts on what we will do instead of what you hope we'll do?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they need that guy who can command double-teams like Liuget. Whatever direction they go in, they need to find guys who will eventually find a way to get on the field. Last year's first 2 picks (Wilson and Ducasse), didn't exactly live up to expectations.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I have a feeling we'll be targeting Ayers in the 1st round. The more I think about it, the less i like it.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Never liked Ayers, think he's soft. Frankly I'd be a little surprised if Ryan gives a thumbs up on Ayers, I'd guess if he watches some of his tape he'd see a relatively soft player and I'm not sure that's what he wants on his defense.

Personally, I hope that there's a lot of flexibility in the war room in terms of positions come round 1. If the best player on the team's board is a DE, NT, OLB, CB, or WR I hope they go for it. Unlikely it's a safety (maybe a guy transitioning from corner?), but if so I'd be fine with that too, and I think OT and RB would be worth considering as well. Get a good value and fill a position of need that the FO can consider a little less come FA, can't really ask for anything better.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

The battle is won in the trenches. Unfortunately, our D-line is not a very good one. At all! So a 5-tech, not a pass rushing OLB, should be our main priority.

I hope Watt or Wilkerson are there at 30. It's possible. If not, I wouldn't mind us going with Heyward. I know Gholston was a bust so I'm skeptical, but I would hate to not see us get better up front and I'm not sure what kind of impact players will be there in round 3.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey/B View Post
The battle is won in the trenches. Unfortunately, our D-line is not a very good one. At all! So a 5-tech, not a pass rushing OLB, should be our main priority.

I hope Watt or Wilkerson are there at 30. It's possible. If not, I wouldn't mind us going with Heyward. I know Gholston was a bust so I'm skeptical, but I would hate to not see us get better up front and I'm not sure what kind of impact players will be there in round 3.
I agree 100% that the game is won and lost in the trenches. At the same time, I'd rather not reach for a DE (or even an OLB) just to say we improved the DL/front 7 if we can fill another need with a better player who's currently on the board. Also I'd be shocked if Watt was on the board and very surprised if Heyward or Wilkerson was on the board either. Any of those players would be an easy selection IMO, not sure if any of them will be there. Hopefully more than 2 QB's go ahead of the 30th pick, that could help push down some better talent.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Yeah, with Watt and Wilkerson it's pretty unlikely but possible. It will be great to see maybe some corners go high like Williams and teams in the top 30 reach for an OT or a WR like Baldwin or Smith.

One scenario that we can never rule out is us moving down, possibly to one of the teams in the 2nd half of the 2nd Round who want to be sure they get their QB.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey/B View Post
Yeah, with Watt and Wilkerson it's pretty unlikely but possible. It will be great to see maybe some corners go high like Williams and teams in the top 30 reach for an OT or a WR like Baldwin or Smith.

One scenario that we can never rule out is us moving down, possibly to one of the teams in the 2nd half of the 2nd Round who want to be sure they get their QB.
I'd like to see this. Get a pick back from the 2nd rounder we lost. Hopefully we can get a mid 2nd and early 3rd for our 30th overall pick. Because like many analysts have said, its a deep d-line class. Which we need.

Sig by, Hitman D

Last edited by katnip : 04-22-2011 at 02:37 PM.
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Yeah, some quality draft depth would be nice. With a defensive draft this good its a good time to do so.

I see drafts with us taking Powe in the third round. I like that a lot, just by reading his scouting report. Another 3rd round option is Kenrick Eliis's from Hampton. The this is, Ellis has character issues and that definitely scares me off. We need a NT anchor who will be a devout worker in the trenches and, quite possibly, may have to only be in the d-line rotation the first 2 years.

That leads me to this question, how good do you guys think Scott Pouha is? I mean, the run-d was solid but he has never stood out to me. Will either Hampton or Powe take the NT spot from him as a rookie?

(Also, I know I'm not on this forum a lot but, its draft week people! Lets get alive in here!!!)

Last edited by Jersey/B : 04-24-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got the Jets in the mock here, lemme know how I have done so far

2. Martez Wilson
3. Jerrel Powe
4. Austin Pettis
4. Jason Pinkston
4. Zane Parr
5. Richard Sherman
6. Andrew Jackson

Figured biggest needs are OLB/NT/WR and I think I got for the most part what you guys needed.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Who will the Jets be trading down with and for that picks?