Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll guess 10-6 and get the Wildcard. I find it tough to go higher than that given the overall lack of depth on the roster. I believe that there are a number of guys who if hurt would severly hurt us, more than some other teams. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

I'll say Austin. I think the Romo-Austin connection is stronger, and Revis will be able to handle Austin's more physical and aggressive style. At this point Dez has shown flashes, but not enough. Cro has the measurables to match him. As such, i think Dez will have the better game of the two WRs

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gilyard just got cut, wonder who that means is getting brought in. Kind of hope it means MTV comes back. Also wonder how long Sendejo lasts on the roster after this week.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was a fun and heart pounding game.

I'm very concerned with the running game. I'm glad we're giving Sanchez some more opportunities to make plays but our bread and butter is the run game so we have to clean that up.

Sanchez struggled early but once again, he had a great 4th quarter. The stat line looks very good.

The o-line didn't look great but that was mostly because of Demarcus Ware. I'm glad we don't have to see him again this year.

How about Joe McKnight stepping up.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Although there is a lot to fix, this team appears to be just as resilient as last year. It's good to be a Jets fan.

Between the Jets games and the Michigan games, I'm pretty sure I'm going to develop an ulcer.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Although there is a lot to fix, this team appears to be just as resilient as last year. It's good to be a Jets fan.

Between the Jets games and the Michigan games, I'm pretty sure I'm going to develop an ulcer.
That final 2 minutes of the Mich/ND game was incredible.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I know it was Luke McCown and the Jaguars but our Defens played great yesterday. It was the best our defense has played in some time. I'll give shoutouts to Wilkerson and Cromartie. Bart Scott is also playing real well right now.

I guess the only blip in the game was Mangold going down. it looks like a 2-3 week injury which kind of sucks considering we have 3 straight road games against Oakland, Baltimore and New England. That's a tough stetch of games right there.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone else feel like this offense just needs to meet a legit, healthy defense to get destroyed. The pass game is inconsistent and the running game seems doomed to suffer behind a weakish oline. Could it be that I am being too negative or does anyone else feel that this team is talented but flawed as hell?
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think your offense will be surprised for a bit tomorrow. When our defense is clicking, we have one of the better defenses in the league. Our dline should do good with the injuries and questions you have on the oline.

Your defense will be interesting to watch though, Darren McFadden has looked elite this year but we will see when he faces a good defense like yours.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Does anyone else feel like this offense just needs to meet a legit, healthy defense to get destroyed. The pass game is inconsistent and the running game seems doomed to suffer behind a weakish oline. Could it be that I am being too negative or does anyone else feel that this team is talented but flawed as hell?
I'm right there with you. However, given we're pretty like-minded people, I'm not sure if that actually means anything. Also since you brought up the running game, I wonder whether or not Shonn Greene is actually a legitimate long-term option as a starting back. Either he's not, or he needs more touches to get into a rhythm. And regardless, I still think that Schotty has Sanchez throwing too much and the team should be running the ball more to get into more reasonable second and third down situations.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's been Greene's fault at all. The OL isn't good and the Jags have a good run D (surprisingly).

I also think it's good to have Sanchez throwing 30-40 times a game. You aren't winning in the playoffs by running the ball with the line playing like it has. You just aren't. I don't know what's wrong with Brick but he's not playing like he did last year. So Sanchez, who based on his age should be a rookie THIS year, needs to get used to carrying the team on his right arm. A full 16-game slate of being counted on as the main offensive focus against different personnel/looks/blitz schemes/coverages is exactly what he needs to take his game to the next level.

Tomorrow is a tough one. I'm with you guys on the waiting-for-a-good-D-to-just-destroy-us thing. Raiders D is good. Also, the Jets may be looking ahead to BAL then NE in the upcoming weeks. And the long flight out west. This would be a big win... (they could easily lose the next two...)

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The line is definitely to blame, but there's something about the way Greene's been playing recently that has me concerned. Hard to really put my finger on why, but I have a feeling that it may end up making sense to bring in somebody else or just start going with more of a committee approach.

I worded the whole thing about Sanchez throwing the ball too much poorly too. Really more situationally, especially in the Cowboys game if memory serves, there were points where the offense really looked like it could get into a nice rhythm running the football and Schottenheimer started calling weird passing plays on early downs that led to 3rd and longs. You're absolutely right, the way the league is today you need to be able to pass the football. But it's been almost excessively unbalanced at points where there running the ball could be good.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That game was suck.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really terrible game today. I think its pretty clear that this was a trap game and Oakland was underestimated by the coaches and players. We simply just did not play winning football. Committed costly penalties, lost the turnover battle, missed tackles, dropped passes, got thoroughly beat in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball. Basically got out-coached and outplayed in every facet of the game by a FAR less talented team which i think is pretty unacceptable. A lot of blame has to be given to Rex and the coaching staff (sans Westhoff cuz ST's were actually good today) as the Defense just did not show up today and the offense was mediocre at best.

One thing that has caught my eye in these first 3 games is that Schotty has still been pretty reluctant to throw the deep ball. We've heard all the talk about "airing it out" and opening up the offense, but all I've really seen is just a shift in the run-pass ratio. In order to truly maximize the potential this offense has we have to maintain the consistent threat of the deep pass. Schotty is too content to just dink and dunk all game, checking down to the RB's and throwing quick outs/slants to the receivers. With Burress, Holmes and Keller we have 3 great vertical threats and they need to be utilized. Oakland was jumping everything short and smothering our receivers the whole second half cuz they realized that we had no desire to stretch the field. We should be punishing teams for even trying that and burning them deep for big plays

With that said the o-line was pretty terrible today which makes it tough to take shots down the field. Sanchez was getting killed all day and really took some nasty shots so I'm sure there was concern from Schotty. This is something I am definitely gonna be watching going forward though and I will be increasingly concerned if it continues

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I second what 5128 said.

Such a disappointing game. With Baltimore and New England coming up, we really needed that one.

I don't want to take anything away from Oakland because they were better than us yesterday but my god, Cromartie was awful and arguably cost us the game. 4 or 5 penalties and then muffing the return which led directly to 7 for Oakland. That was ugly.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Time to draft some offensive linemen.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im thinking of trying out

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Time to draft some offensive linemen.
This, this and more of this. Ngata and Cody had their way with Baxter, Slauson and Ducasse. Even Brick didn't play all that well. We're a much better team when Mangold is on the field but yeah, we have to draft some o-lineman this year. We need to bring in a guard and a tackle.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
This, this and more of this. Ngata and Cody had their way with Baxter, Slauson and Ducasse. Even Brick didn't play all that well. We're a much better team when Mangold is on the field but yeah, we have to draft some o-lineman this year. We need to bring in a guard and a tackle.
My thoughts exactly. Lots of needs on the team really, but the offensive line is just so important. Brings into perspective how important Mangold really is, but the entire offensive line needs to be able to perform. I guess if this brings that need to the forefront then it's not the worst thing as long as the need actually gets addressed.

Bryan Thomas out for the season, really unfortunate. Will be interesting to see how he's replaced. Not sure how Westerman fills the role, but Thomas is a guy who was potentially going to be replaced anyway so if his long-term replacement is on the roster we'll find out this year.

Speaking of OLB's, Maybin actually played alright last night. He's far from a superstar, but I think bringing him back onto the roster was a decent gamble.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I think we're going to miss Bryan Thomas this year. He's a smart player who is good against the run and he does a great job sniffing out screens.

I'm assuming Westerman and Maybin are going to fill in. Like you said, Maybin played ok last night and was able to get some pressure on Flacco. Regarding Westerman, Rex always has good things to say about him but we really haven't seen it yet. He needs to step up.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Oh we're definitely going to miss Thomas. He's not an outstanding pass rusher, but he is a good overall 3-4 OLB outside of that. I'd say he's the best coverage linebacker on the team by a decent amount as well. But given the pass rush needs to improve and I think he's more likely to get replaced than Pace, if they do decide to upgrade at that spot he's probably the one to go. So at least this season we get to see if his replacement is on the roster or they need to go find him.

Westerman definitely does need to step up. I'm not sure he will, so it's going to be interesting to see how short of a leash he has and what the next option could possibly be.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Iím so nervous about this game. A win could propel us and loss could derail us. I think we match up better with the Pats than the Ravens, but itís going to be tough. Here's a quick preview:

When the Jets on offense.

Passing game
Sanchez has been up and down this year but I expect him to play well this Sunday. New England canít stop the pass and Devin McCourty (their #1 corner) has been awful this year. Our line has not done a good job protecting Sanchez this year but NE doesnít have a much of a pass rush. Though, Wilfork scares me in the middle especially if Mangold canít play.

Running game
New England has a middle of the pack rush defense thus far while our bread and butter is near the bottom of the league. Iím not sure what to expect.

While the Jets are on Defense

Passing game
NE has the top passing offense in the league, while we have the 2nd best pass defense in the league. Welker, Gronk and Hernandez scare the hell out of me. I hope Revis sticks Welker because heíll have a field day on Cro. But honestly I think Gronk and Hernandez will hurt us more. I donít think we can cover both of them.

Running game
The Pats running game is in the top half of the league while our run D is close to the bottom. Bryan Thomasí injury sure doesnít help our cause.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Really a crushing loss to a team I think we all hate and could've beaten. I think defensively we had the right game plan but the offense just looked like it was still in a funk for most of the game and couldn't give our defense a rest. The D was just too worn down in that 4th quarter but that's still not a good enough reason to get pushed around like that when the offense needs one more chance. I think if we got the ball back for Sanchez and Co. once more when it was a 6 point game we could've made something happen.

As far as Schotty, I have been one of his biggest fans since he's been here but it almost seems like his conservative philosophy has almost run it's course. I understand we are afraid of Sanchez making the big mistake but at least give the kid a chance to throw one or two deep shots in a big game like this. If for no other reason then to back off the safeties and open up running lanes. We are painfully conservative and I attribute some of the 30 points and 400 yards of offense we gave up to the offense going 3 and out 8 times or whatever it was. We have the best D and special teams in the league IMO but it's constantly being dragged down by the offense which is unheard of.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

It's always tough to lose but I think we can take a lot of positives away from that game. I'm not gonna go into it, I tink we all know what the are.

But I've had it with Brian Schottenheimer. Doesn't he realize that when he opens the playbook up at the end of games (he's forced to), Sanchez plays well. We can very easily be a run first team, but let Sanchez throw the ball downfield a little bit more. The slants and shits out to the flat don't always work.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

We traded Derrick Mason to Houston for a conditional draft pick.

I'm ok with this. I think Mason is almost useless at this point and the team likes Kerley. We're lacking depth at the position now so I expect we go out and sign somebody.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 PM    (permalink
monson
Rookie

monson hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.monson hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default must wins

So the Jets have to win the next three games. Dolphins, Chargers, and Bills. One loss and gang green is 4-4 at the halfway mark. Lose to the Bills and the jets are way back. The season is almost over.
monson is offline   Reply With Quote