Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mangold, Ferguson, and Revis are our pro bowlers. Revis is a starter.

Edit: If McKnight didn't get hurt, he'd probably be in too.

Edit: McKnight is an alternate at KR and Harris and Moore are second alternates.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 12-27-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read a decent blurb about the lack of home run threats on the team. Really Holmes and McKnight are as close as we have, but whether it's in the backfield or at receiver (I think I would prefer a receiver) it would be good to have a big play threat on offense. A receiver in particular would help stretch the field and take attention away from Holmes, who's too easy to double with Plax across from him - who as good as he is in the red zone just does not separate a whole lot from corners right now.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
jetsfan46
Rookie

jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.

If anything I want the Jets to lose to the Dolphins (better draft pick and we do need it). Here's why:

1. Mark Sanchez has not shown anyone he can throw a good deep ball (he's actually statistically the least accurate quarterback when throwing for 20+ yards passes in the NFL) and I hope he proves to the Jets ownership and coaching staff that he should be traded (I think we can salvage a 3rd rounder for him from say Washington). He also makes more throws that should be interceptions than every quarterback in the league and he's among the worst in Total QBR (he currently has a rating of 35.3, good for 28th in the league). You can potentially trade multiple picks to the Colts for either the top pick (Andrew Luck) or Peyton Manning. Despite what the Colts GM says they can't afford both players unless Manning gives up some money and he would be stupid enough to do so considering they wouldn't be able to improve their team by much outside the draft even if he did (unless he took a $10 million paycut which he won't).

2. Wayne Hunter is not suited to be a starting right tackle in the NFL (he's allowed more sacks in one year than Damien Woody allowed in two years at the same position for the Jets) and should be replaced (he's worse than the people the Jets had in '06 which this forum has multiple members labeling as garbage players), Max Starks and Flozell Adams are free agents they would fit the role much better. Also you could draft somebody like Sanders from Florida State (we need a real starter not like Vlad "The Worst Experiment" Ducasse).

3. Eric Smith is a bench role player, not a starter. He frequently gives up the big play and was almost cut by the Jets when Ryan first came in. He's not fast, big, or strong enough to handle the position despite his aggressiveness. Mark Barron would be a great option to replace him (or they could try to trade for a probowler like Adrian Wilson). Gronkowski and other tightends create problems for the Jets and they need someone to stop them (they have no one who can at the present time).

4. The linebackers of the Jets are pretty slow other than Aaron Maybin (who is suited only for the pass rush). Everyone either runs around them or throws to the tightend when they are matched up against the Jets. Westerman is a role bench player so he can't be trusted to fill the role on coverage. David Harris is obviously a great player but he doesn't have the speed to do what say Patrick Willis does, so we need to get help for him. Bart Scott has lost speed and can't compete at a starting level for this team anymore. Trading Scott for a 5-7th rounder would help. This draft has some special ILB that could contribute (Burfict who is a sure first rounder and Audie Cole is a good late round pick are options). At OLB Zach Brown from UNC should be considered (measures in at 6-2 1/2 feet, 230lbs, with a 40 of 4.45s) in the second or third round. We need that kind of speed at the OLB position and Rex can make this guy aggressive.

5. The Jets need more playmakers as ESPN and derza222 have stated. Another tightend (not Matt Mulligan who should be cut but maybe Coby Fleener who is a giant from Stanford) could help and we need a fast and agile WR (say what you want about Kerley but he's not really fast for the position and Plax ain't coming back). Maybe we resign Edwards (recently cut by the 49ers and could come cheap) but we need another guy also.

6. We need a new halfback who can catch the ball. Shonn Greene shouldn't be expected to do something he can't. Drafting Doug Martin from Boise State (in my opinion a guy who has the potential to be better than Probowler Ray Rice) in the third round would go a long way in fixing our problems with that and he is also a better runner than Greene (much faster and explosive, Greene is more of a power back). With those two and McKnight (Tomlinson isn't gonna come back for the minimum that they will offer him) the Jets can do some serious damage again on the ground.
jetsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN reporting that the Jets expect to revamp their offensive staff. Apparently Schottenheimer is likely gone. Hopefully this is true. Article says two likely targets to replace him are Norv Turner and Josh McDaniels if either is available. Also read another piece that said Callahan could get promoted, though his contract is up after the season.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
ESPN reporting that the Jets expect to revamp their offensive staff. Apparently Schottenheimer is likely gone. Hopefully this is true. Article says two likely targets to replace him are Norv Turner and Josh McDaniels if either is available. Also read another piece that said Callahan could get promoted, though his contract is up after the season.
Would LOVE Norv.

Schotty needs to be gone, Hunter needs to be a backup, we need a pass rusher, and I honestly am pretty much done with Sanchez. He doesn't even have flashes anymore, he just checks down. I mean, I'm willing to give him one more year with a competent OC, but, after that, if he keeps on like this, cut ties.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Nothing will matter unless your QB becomes much much more accurate with his throws ... and frankly I don't think that will ever happen. He does not look like a good thrower.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
Would LOVE Norv.

Schotty needs to be gone, Hunter needs to be a backup, we need a pass rusher, and I honestly am pretty much done with Sanchez. He doesn't even have flashes anymore, he just checks down. I mean, I'm willing to give him one more year with a competent OC, but, after that, if he keeps on like this, cut ties.
And that's just the start of the holes on this team...the FO will have to find at least one starting safety this offseason, two if Leonhard doesn't come back. Slauson could/should be upgraded at left guard, and Holmes needs a better WR across from him to be effective. I think he would've had a far better season if Edwards was around.

As for Sanchez, I agree. I'd give him another year with a legitimate OC, provided nobody better comes along. To me, it doesn't make sense to give up on the guy just for the sake of giving up on him, but if there's a legitimate upgrade available I'm all for making the upgrade. Wouldn't mind bringing in a young guy to compete either but I'd imagine that's unlikely. But at this point it's getting hard to imagine that he's the answer long term, I just don't see all that much improvement from where he was as a rookie which is obviously a bad sign.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive been absent from Jets Discussion most of the season, because **** this season right? But I just wanted to offer my thoughts on the off-season to maybe spark some conversation about progress rather than wallowing in defeat.

Honestly, I want to see if Santonio has any trade value and just get rid of him. I just don't like his attitude and I think his money could be better spent elsewhere. I'd honestly take a second or third round pick for him if we can get it. Even before today's game I have hated his body language and effort on most ball not directly to him.

I don't know what his salary is exactly but Cavin Pace is not even close to an impact player, He's been an alright pass rusher. It says on some website that the cap savings for cutting him would be almost 7 million dollars. I have no idea about free agents but I imagine this money can be wisely reinvested. However the same website mentioned some figure about dead money that was absurd so that contract looks like a ridiculous move in retrospect and didnt look all that good at the time.

Even if LT doesn't retire, he shouldn't be brought back. He's not bad at all, but why really keep him around when we could draft a late round guy or give joe mcnight the opporutnity? He

I dont know how much cap space they will have after raises, cuts, trades,etc but I think that they really need to shore up the o-line and defense. I just want the O-line to never be in a position to start wayne hunter for any length of time. With Ferguson, Moore, and Mangold being a good anchor, they dont need a great guy. Move guys around in positions, whatever, just get more talent on the line so that wayne hunter doesn't play. I think O-line is one of the few positions where a veteran that makes it to fee agency can still likely play at close to the level that he is being paid at unlike skill positions that are paid for past accomplishments more than future potential.

As for the defense, they just need more athletes everywhere. I think the Focus should be on finding better pass rushers. Realistically, I think one of the keys to turning the pass rush around may be more snaps for Mabyin and Westerman. Whenever Ryan focused on stopping the run with big guys like Garrett Mcyntire the defense played worse because they were slower and less athletic. I understand WEsterman and Maybin have issues covering, but honestly the were better than the other schlubs they were running our

Free Agent targets- Anthony Spencer, Kamerion Wimbley

After Pass Rusher, I think getting safeties is key. Jim Leohnard can probably be brought back for reasonable money because of his injury prone label after 2 injury shortened years in a row. Beyond that, Eric smith is the worst and I can't stand seeing him on the field. Need at least 2 better safeties plus leonhard coming back.

In my cursory look of some free agents maybe go after guys like anthony spencer, kamerion wimbley, Ben Grubbs.

This team needs to focus making the defense elite again and then solidifying the line because it helps everything else. Don't worry about flashy recievers and runningbacks. Just get some big fat *****.

Oh yeah and fire Schotty. Jesus.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's going to be an interesting offseason, that's for sure. There are so many holes on this team, many which Rex was able to mask and cover up with scheme (on defense) during the first 2 years. I think the team is going to look very very different next year.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, I get the same feeling. Quarterback and running back are spots that I think could remain the same but also could come back with different players. Think we'll see another #2 receiver, and at the very least McKnight as the third down back instead of Tomlinson. Almost certainly should be another right tackle as well.

Then on defense I'd imagine we'll see a new safety or two and two to three new linebackers (report just came out that Scott could be gone, though we'll see). Wouldn't mind a stud defensive lineman to add into the mix, but that seems like a big time luxury pick compared to the issues elsewhere.

Hopefully at least one safety, the right tackle spot, and a linebacker or two and/or a wide receiver get brought in via free agency. Wouldn't mind bringing in a back either, but that's probably more of a luxury addition or something to bring in via the draft. Regardless of whether it's at RB or WR, I'd like a home run hitter somewhere.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's looking like Bart Scott will be gone. Which makes me sad, because he's someone that just has so much competitiveness and drive that it rubs off on the whole team. But, he's a huge cap hit, he's our second best ILB and doesn't see the field on passing downs... meaning, from a purely performance standpoint, he shouldn't be here.

So if he is gone, we gain about 10 million in cap room. So here's me just thinking... if Manning IS a free agent... if we could get any takers for Sanchez for a 4th or something, I would actually like to see us draft a QB in the first, sign Manning, and then throw the rest of our resources at Safety, OL, and pass rush.

I mean, let's say Manning is even close to where he was, that INSTANTLY makes our defense better because our offense won't sputter around all game, or have the same amount of idiotic turnovers in our side of the field. It also makes our receivers suddenly look a lot better, because Manning is a guy who can throw people open, as opposed to needing them to BE wide open. Even if we let Plax go, and go with someone Edwards again, and run a Holmes - BrayBray - Kerley - Keller receiver set... That's not SIGNIFICANTLY worse than a Wayne - Rookie Garcon - Clark - Whatever set that Manning ran with.

This would also give our young QB 2 years to sit and learn on the bench, while we got the legitimate pieces around him in the next offseason.

Clearly, this is all not going to happen. But with Scott and Sanchez gone, we could easily offer Manning 20 mill a year and be in the same situation we are in right now, cap-wise.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Apparently Schottenheimer will be back next year. Not happy about that. Dreading watching another year of our offense struggling to put points on the board.

Maybe he will get a HC job somewhere, but I don't see it. Our offense has looked anemic for the last couple of years.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...eimer-job-safe
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Maybe he wont be. GET THE DAMN JOB!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
jetsfan46
Rookie

jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Mike Tannenbaum is the issue

People claim that Brian Schottenheimer is not good at his job. The offense is anemic and the play calling does not make sense. At least that is what Jets fans say. Yet no one tries to understand the position the guy was in this season.

He had:
an under prepared team with an inferior right tackle, a QB who lacks down field vision (also can't be consistently accurate and is the worst QB in the NFL statistically when throwing a pass of 15 yards or more), a starting half back who isn't fast nor quick and can't catch the ball, a short skinny number one wide receiver (who is fast but not Mike Wallace or Desean Jackson fast and is inconsistent catching the football), an aging giant of a wide receiver who lacks explosiveness, an injured center, and a third wideout who is a short below average speed receiver (not to mention a rookie who is still learning).

Would you be confident in #6 if your QB can't throw deep, gets sacked almost every possession (half the time due to an inept right tackle), fumbles the ball too frequently, and throws stupid passes that get intercepted? Would you feel good about #10 when he drops a ball nearly every game and has caused multiple turnovers this year? How about the rest of the offense? Even Dustin Keller looked like an idiot sometimes this year and he was the leading receiver and a pro bowl level performer for the year (Gates got the nod just because he was the best in years past)

The 59 passes against the Giants are easily explained, the Giants secondary is one of the worst in the league. The OC was trying to exploit that secondary. What he forgot was his quarterback is completely inept at making decisions and his line was playing poorly. Forget about blaming Schottenheimer, blame Mike Tannenbaum the general manager of the New York Jets.

Tannenbaum's words were and I quote when referring to Victor Cruz “our locker room is filled with those types of guys.” Wow really I would say Cruz outperformed every Jet wide receiver ever (even Keyshawn Johnson). The guy backs Mark Sanchez as the opening day starter for 2012 even after admitting Sanchez is "far from perfect". Don't worry though if they screw up this year, and they will if they don't at least get a healthy replacement for Sanchez or a Matt Forte/Trent Richardson type player, Rex Ryan will lose his job and so will the whole coaching staff. It won't be an 8-8 year, it will be more like a 6-10 year at best.

How can they beat the Patriots when they can't cover the tightends? Mark Barron won't be able to handle Gronkowski nor will any safety in this draft. You need somebody who is huge, strong, quick, and an effective tackler to bring the massive Patriot down. Oh and he's got Tom Brady throwing to him while on our team it is the great Mexican American who's so stupid he doesn't even know Spanish (Hispanic people must be very proud of #6). Heck Kerley threw a better spiral than Sanchez against the Dolphins in week 17.

There is only one NFL safety who can maybe stop Gronkowski and that is Adrian Wilson. Odds are the Jets would have to give up a lot to get Wilson from the Cardinals so that means the Jets are doomed next year against the Patriots. The Dolphins will be better next year (and they still beat the Jets this year which is horrible considering how poorly they played most of the year and their play in the last game wasn't spectacular either), so will the Bills, and the Patriots have more top draft picks than any other team in the league.

Today Tannenbaum basically informed the media there will be no major changes on this team and they are going to try again next year with the same coaching staff and same key players. It really would be in the best interest for everyone if Schottenheimer and Mike Pettine go. It would be in the best interest for the Jets if Mark Sanchez was traded, Bart Scott was cut/traded, Wayne Hunter was traded (or banished from the mainland and forced to return to Hawaii), Santonio Holmes was traded for a high pick, Eric Smith was cut (maybe the worst defensive starter in the league this year), and Mike Tannenbaum was put on notice that if he did not succeed in turning this team around for the long term he would lose his job. These are highly critical things to say but when you earn so much money in such a public manner what do you expect people to say? Wow your screwing up you should keep your multi million dollar job while this country struggles with joblessness and a recession. Many of the Jets would have been fired if they performed the way they did this season in almost every other job. The time is now to get serious changes need to be made and Rex Ryan needs to realize if Tannenbaum doesn't get it right then Ryan will lose his job and be forced to coach some middle of the road defense (i.e. like his Brother in Dallas).

Last edited by jetsfan46 : 01-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.
jetsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

I wouldnt take what Tannenbaum says now as his word. I believe it was with Kerry Rhodes where he said one day that he was not going to trade him, and the next day he was gone.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan46 View Post

Today Tannenbaum basically informed the media there will be no major changes on this team and they are going to try again next year with the same coaching staff and same key players. It really would be in the best interest for everyone if Schottenheimer and Mike Pettine go. It would be in the best interest for the Jets if Mark Sanchez was traded, Bart Scott was cut/traded, Wayne Hunter was traded (or banished from the mainland and forced to return to Hawaii), Santonio Holmes was traded for a high pick, Eric Smith was cut (maybe the worst defensive starter in the league this year), and Mike Tannenbaum was put on notice that if he did not succeed in turning this team around for the long term he would lose his job. These are highly critical things to say but when you earn so much money in such a public manner what do you expect people to say? Wow your screwing up you should keep your multi million dollar job while this country struggles with joblessness and a recession. Many of the Jets would have been fired if they performed the way they did this season in almost every other job. The time is now to get serious changes need to be made and Rex Ryan needs to realize if Tannenbaum doesn't get it right then Ryan will lose his job and be forced to coach some middle of the road defense (i.e. like his Brother in Dallas).
Your trades are all unrealistic. No one is giving up more than a 4th for Santonio Holmes. We got him for a 5th two years ago, and the "man" just imploded on a football field, and is still only one strike away from a yearlong suspension.

We can trade Sanchez, but very few teams would even be interested in him as a player, let alone a 15 million dollar cap hit next year.

Wayne Hunter shouldn't be cut. He simply should be a back up, a role he excelled in. Eric Smith is an alright in the box safety as a back up, and a good special teams player. I mean, Smith and Hunter combined only counted for 4 million against our cap, and if they were simply depth players, they would be worth it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think the team is at a crossroads right now. It's a team that has been very successful at points despite major holes, and now with aging players and some holes not getting filled successfully in the offseason the team was exposed.

Defensively, scheme for the large part helped disguise the fact that safety is an extremely weak position and linebackers in general are slow and do not cover that well. This leads to running backs and tight ends destroying the team in the passing game. On top of that, the pass rush is very poor and that showed even more this season when less blitzes were called (which is probably because safeties were so weak in coverage and getting beat for big plays was a risk).

Offensively, Braylon Edwards was the team's biggest playmaker last year and with him gone the only big play threat left on the team was Santonio Holmes. No home run hitter at running back, no deep threat at receiver, and a below average quarterback who can't throw people open led to the team needing to execute shorter plays perfectly for long drives with defenses knowing they probably weren't going to get beat deep. The running game also was not nearly as dominant as it was in previous years, and that led to Sanchez being far less effective. Throw in an atrocious right tackle and a really bad offensive scheme and there were clear problems.

At this point, there are three choices. One is to more or less stay the same, make some minor changes, and move forward. Leave Schottenheimer and Sanchez, maybe add a new right tackle, a new safety, maybe a new outside linebacker and a new wide receiver. Do the obvious things that need to be done.

Another is somewhere in between staying the same and blowing things up. Do that but maybe get rid of Schottenheimer, Sanchez, or Bart Scott. Shake things up a little bit, but not too much.

The other option is to rebuild the team and leave some of the core strengths that it has. Maybe re-sign Pouha to a one or two year deal to wait for Ellis to get ready, leave the rest of the defensive line, corners, and David Harris intact. Maybe bring back Jim Leonhard. Blow up the rest of the defense. Three new linebackers and a new safety or two. Add speed, guys who can get after the quarterback and cover backs and tight ends. Get rid of Schottenheimer, add a new #2 receiver and a running back who can actually make big plays and catch the ball out of the backfield. Obviously make that right tackle upgrade, and I think you have to think seriously about getting rid of Holmes and Sanchez if you can get away with it. Build around the defensive line, three of the offensive linemen, David Harris, the corners, and Keller. Improve the weaknesses elsewhere as best you can, add youth, speed, and playmaking ability and we'll see what happens. The team as it stands is slow and not explosive in any way, and the scheme can only make up for that so much.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM    (permalink
DI
Veteran

DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It all starts with your head coach for me. Rex can keep his style because that's what makes him who he is but he has to tweak it a little bit. He has to stop shouldering all the blame after every loss or everything that goes wrong with this team. He has to stop blindly supporting his players when they shoot his team in the foot. He is more of a confidant to his players than he is a coach and an authority figure and the team will never be successful like that. He has to start holding players accountable and not taking on everything himself and I believe that will lead him to garner more respect from the players on the team who he should be seeking it from (Pouha, Harris, Mangold, Ferguson, Revis).

Now, with that said, you need to build a TEAM. Right now, I don't look at the Jets and see a team. I see a bunch of guys looking for a paycheck. Distractions and me first players need to go. Santonio needs to go. Plax needs to go. Cromartie and Bart Scott need to go. Clear the locker room of the headaches and it will do wonders. Look at Eli after the Giants rid themselves of Tiki, Shockey, Plax and, to a lesser extent, Strahan. Hell, even this year. Look at what the Bengals did when they rid themselves of locker room headaches (TO, Chad and, to a lesser extent, Carson) and let their coach have control of the team with a rookie quarterback. I think ridding of those guys would only be a positive in Mark's ongoing development. Then, once that happens, I think a house cleaning should be in order. You could add Ducasse, Pace and Eric Smith to the list of the previously mentioned and start building a team around the right guys. Guys who go out and keep their mouth shut and bust their ass every week, like David Harris, Sione Pouha, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Darrelle Revis, Dustin Keller, etc. Not only would it greatly benefit your team but I think the potential effect this could have on Sanchez could be huge.
DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it sucks that our team is so messed up that we can't even really suggest off season plans in here. i know mike t says sanchez, schotty, and holmes are all coming back, but in reality ANYTHING could happen.

aside from all the OC/QB/WR ********, these are the top 4 things that i want addressed this offseason:

-Offensive Tackle: To me this is the 1A priority. Whoever is at QB doesn't deserve to be on their back as much as Mark was this season. I really like Hunter as a depth/6th man guy, but there is no reason for him to be starting. I think we should address this in the first round or get a quality FA.

-Free Safety: Obviously our 1B priority. We need to cover Gronk, Fasano, or D. Nelson 6 games a year, and we don't have anyone to do it. I think we should bring back Leonard at SS, keep Smith for special teams and inside the box formations, but then find someone who can at least attempt to cover big TEs and WRs over the middle and in the red zone.

-OLB: Its really a shame we have so many holes in this team because I would love to take a first round pick to address this. I think we need to bring in a true pass rusher and let Westerman and Maybin battle it out for playtime/bring them both in on passing downs. We haven't had an impact pass rusher since John Abraham.

-Explosive Offensive Player: Whether its at RB or WR (preferably both), we need to bring in a home run hitter to back defenses up. Braylon was released by SF, why not give him another chance? Aside from the drops I loved him in green.

some additional things that would be nice:
-Interior O-line depth
-A #2 Tight End that can block and not take 4 penalties a game
-Inside linebacker
-punter
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I'm hearing Kyle Orton won't be in KC next year. The Jets should consider bringing him and having him compete for the starting spot.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not abig Mark Sanchez fan, but the overall attitude about him is ridiculous. There are a lot of reasons to believe that he can improve next year and the fact is, his performance has not been that of a total bust who is a bottom of the league quarterback.
1. He has only started for three years after only starting for one year in college. How many quarterbacks have improved to the point where they are at the top of their game in their third season, especially with Sanchez limited experience in college.
2. He was getting crushed constantly all year because of Wayne Hunter.
3. He was throwing to Santonio who was, to put in lightly, a problem and Plax was useless except in the redzone.
4. His offensive coordinator just doesnt get it. Look at Alex Smith who was Mr. Bust and then he gets a coach that understands how to use him properly and he is now a quarterback that can, at the very least, manage an offense.
5. He had an inconsistent running game that his O-Coordinator didn't even give a chance to often, forcing Sanchez to throw way too much.
6. As we all know, the lockeroom was a mess and I don't think there are very many third year quarterbacks or quarterbacks in general that could have united that dysfunctional a team.
7. My biggest issue with talking about getting rid of Sanchez is that unless they can magically get Drew Brees or trade for a healthy Peyton Manning, there aren't any options that are better outside of a high draft pick which can't happen based on the other holes on the team. Kyle Orton? Get real. When watching the game against the Redskins and I saw Kyle Boller playing terribly, I realized that Sanchez right now is not one of the worst qbs in the league. He's in the average range.

I know a lot of you will say that a qb should be a leader and Sanchez isn't as demonstrated by the team being out of control, but just look at Eli Manning. In his first 3-4 years people were saying that he isn't a leader, wasn't very accurate, looked like a deer in the headlights on the field, etc. Sound familiar? I'm not saying Sanchez is as talented as MAnning, but the fact is how many third year qbs are the as good as they will ever be? I believe the team can win with him with the right talent around him and the right offensive mindset.

Last edited by josh07039 : 01-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Apparently the team is thinking about who they would bring in as an OC if Schottenheimer leaves for another position. Dirk Koetter and Tony Sparano are possibilities.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys should go after Tom Clements the packers QB coach. He turned Elvis Grbac,Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox into pro-bowlers. Also he has done a nice job with Rodgers and Flynn.

Last edited by Complex : 01-08-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
You guys should go after Tom Clements the packers QB coach. He turned Elvis Grbac,Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox into pro-bowlers. Also he has done a nice job with Rodgers and Flynn.
Dont know much about him but that's a pretty solid resume right there

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Praying that Hue Jackson gets fired and we make him OC

And my first mock of the very, very ,VERY early off-season: Only 3 rounds because I couldnt think of a 4th round pick and god knows what happens in the latter rounds

1. Riley Reiff RT Iowa 6'6 330: Would provide an instant upgrade from Hunter and fits perfectly as he is powerful in the run game and really excels exploding off the ball. Is a decent pass protector and given his athletic tools should only improve with NFL coaching.

2. Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State 6'1 198: Athletic, ball-hawking safety who is renowned for his ability to make plays in coverage a.k.a exactly what we need on this defense. Also can deliver the big hit and has a good amount of size behind those hits. Known for being a bit too much of a gambler (in both coverage AND as a tackler) but should learn to wrap-up and become a solid tackler as he progresses throughout his career. I think pairing his playmaking abilities with Rex's defense and our coaching is a recipe for great success. Our safeties really have no ability to make plays in coverage so he would fit in right away and if hes good enough to start as a rookie next to Leonhard (assuming he returns) Smith and Pool should thrive with situational roles

3. Best pass rusher available (Not familiar enough with the guys from this class yet)
Preferably someone with a lot of athleticism and speed seeing as how this pick probably wont get too much playing time next year. As much as it may pain some of us i feel like Tanny and Rex will be pretty comfortable heading into to next year with our current LB core (re-signing Thomas and giving Mauga/Westerman Scott's passing downs). Hopefully this pick could develop into a real pass rush threat 2-3 years down the road

Some of you might complain about no WR's being taken but i think Tanny will look to Free Agency to try and bring in a replacement for Plax (Braylon I hope). If we enter the draft without having signed a receiver I would spend round 2 on WR or maybe even trade back into late round 1 to draft one.

Sig by Me

Last edited by JETS5128 : 01-09-2012 at 11:47 PM.
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote